Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob_lob_law

JCJCJC wrote: »
    I thought William's story was very close to O'Reilly v Limerick Corporation - traveller seeking housing basically. The imminent baby added urgency. O'Reilly was an example of where the court said 'no' to distributing resources, pure classic sop doctrine, they let that to the executive. Same thing in Frawley's two cases - mad a a hatter, swallowed the radio, batteries and all, into recycling before his time obviously, needed a special psych unit with a big fence around it but court said no, not our job. In recent times there has been a shift, re F(N), TD and DB's case, courts now willing to order the provision of facilities so Willie might have a chance. TD and DB had urgency because they were young, they couldn't afford to wait years for facilities.
    Re the decision to house him in a halting site - a matter for expertise that courts don't have, so they'd be slow to disturb that one - some Canadian law on that.
    O'Reilly & Conway v Limerick County Council - similar facts again, left conventional housing and went back on the road, Co Co tried to treat it as a planning contravention, court said no and ordered the provision of a halting site as an ancillary order to the one striking down the planning decision.

I could be ALL wrong, but that was my general take on that one.

Yeah I covered all the non-justiciability stuff and equality jumped out at me as well so ran with that. The problems didn't seem to be as busy as the last paper, bar maybe q1 which I avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

Two quick questions: Is there any point to putting down the years of the cases? Will it get you extra marks?

and

Statute of Frauds > Doctrine of Part Payment: My GCD 2009 contract book lists a case as McCarron v McCarron (1997), but then in the paragraph on the case refers to the same case as McKenna v McKenna. Does anyone know which it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cooper10

EU Law

Guys,

have 4 days to learn EU law. Have looked at citizenship but that's it. Please help! Is it poss to do an EU Fe1 without learning competition? I was also thinking of doing Free Movement of Goods and Equality but other than that I haven't a clue. So 4 long days ahead - all inputs appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smjsmj

cooper10 wrote: »
    EU Law

Guys,

have 4 days to learn EU law. Have looked at citizenship but that's it. Please help! Is it poss to do an EU Fe1 without learning competition? I was also thinking of doing Free Movement of Goods and Equality but other than that I haven't a clue. So 4 long days ahead - all inputs appreciated :)

hey,i would absolutely recommend doing all the free movements. so so important. def do the institutions, all the stuff is in the book so you cant go wrong there and no real need to learn just the stuff on democratic deficit etc, i would do the stuff on procedures etc. competition to be honest i would just read over it and do a wee spider diagram, its pretty simple. but def do not leave out the free movement stuff, i done eu last time and think i got 3 questions out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smjsmj

doing wrote: »
    Two quick questions: Is there any point to putting down the years of the cases? Will it get you extra marks?

and

Statute of Frauds > Doctrine of Part Payment: My GCD 2009 contract book lists a case as McCarron v McCarron (1997), but then in the paragraph on the case refers to the same case as McKenna v McKenna. Does anyone know which it is?

cases, no need to bother with the case years unless you remember then no harm in sticking them down otherwise dont be stressing yourself out trying to learn them we have enough to learn.

i done contract last time and as far as i remember its mccarron, i'll double check for ya in the morning tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

smjsmj wrote: »
    cases, no need to bother with the case years unless you remember then no harm in sticking them down otherwise dont be stressing yourself out trying to learn them we have enough to learn.

i done contract last time and as far as i remember its mccarron, i'll double check for ya in the morning tho.
    Cheers, I do remember most of them so I might as well stick them down, like you said it can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Can anyone tell me how O'Keefe v Ryanair relates to the doctrine of privity? I know it apparently deals with some aspect of the doctrine but there's nothing about it in the privity chapter of my IC manual, and on my recollection of the facts (and the judgement) I don't remember anything about privity coming up?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Charlie D

I think it is something to do with the fact that it was actually her boyfriend's ticket was the actual 1 million but they picked her as she was good looking for the publicity surrounding it. Not quite sure. Also did she give other ticket to her mother when she broke up with guy?? Sorry I can't be more help..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BroadwayBound

Can anyone tell me how O'Keefe v Ryanair relates to the doctrine of privity? I know it apparently deals with some aspect of the doctrine but there's nothing about it in the privity chapter of my IC manual, and on my recollection of the facts (and the judgement) I don't remember anything about privity coming up?

It relates to privity because it was held her husband although a third party was also entitled to free flights. Ryanair said something about a "companion." At least I think thats why!

I am terrified right now.. Best of luck :)

Edit: Oh wait they weren't married! but the yeah he could rely on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Cherry_Angel

7 hours and 21 minutes to go... I have Offer, Acceptance, Consideration, Privity Estoppel done!!! (FML cant remember case names, so really I'm not done)

Hoping to do Mistake, Remedies and Illegal in d next 2 hrs get 2 hrs sleep and get into it again :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

EU Law

Guys,

is this even possible? I mean, did anyone ever do this before?

Kamilat wrote: »
    EU Law

Guys,

I know.....I'm ashamed of myself too. Last April I did only have 2 days to learn property and passed it though so I'm hoping with double the time for a much bigger subject I can do the same this time! I work full time if I can use that as an excuse?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

It takes me four months to learn one topic in EU!

EU Law

Guys,

I know.....I'm ashamed of myself too. Last April I did only have 2 days to learn property and passed it though so I'm hoping with double the time for a much bigger subject I can do the same this time! I work full time if I can use that as an excuse?!

fair enough. U will be some legend if u pass! Best of luck!

JCJCJC wrote: »

It takes me four months to learn one topic in EU!

JC did u sit EU yet?what's the standard like I wonder?! I find the subject massive and time consuming aswel to say the least!

EU Law

Guys,

fair enough. U will be some legend if u pass! Best of luck!

Thanks! Have a feeling I'll be re-doing it though but sure I'll give it a lash! Any input on what to concentrate on? Despise EU law so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭sazzyfiz

i did it in 3 days in April and passed! dont give up hope:D

sazzyfiz wrote: »

i did it in 3 days in April and passed! dont give up hope:D

serious? What did u concentrate on and did u take a prep course? And how many q's did u answer in ur exam?

Thanks! Have a feeling I'll be re-doing it though but sure I'll give it a lash! Any input on what to concentrate on? Despise EU law so much[/Quote]

tell me about it, has to be the worst one out of the lot! I don't have any tips though sorry as I haven't sat it myself yet! Ah well all ahead of me I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 AnnAh1986

Going by what prep courses say and from what my friends who have sat it before, focus on following to guarantee 5 q's: (This is what I am going by)

Institutions - alot in Treaty so have underlined - look at past q's
    Sources of EU Law - EU competences, Fundamental Rights mainly
    Procedures - Prelim Ref, Enforcement and Annulment Action
    Application of EU Law - Direct effect, Supremacy
    ALL Fundamental Freedoms

Nearly every year this will give you 5 questions - actually every year I think if you do the case note question as 5th question

The remaining topics are a bonus but Competition is prob worth a look for this year.
    The likes of Equality is usually only advised if you have time as an extra but it is due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

JC did u sit EU yet?what's the standard like I wonder?! I find the subject massive and time consuming aswel to say the least!

I sat it only as a token 4th. I did EU in UL before Lisbon so the little I remembered was hopelessly out of date and obsolete, as were my college notes and books. I realised that when I did the GCD one-day revisions, I knew I hadn't a chance then so I abandoned EU and spent the time on the subjects I had a better likelihood of passing. It's like eating a ton of stale cornflakes - not particularly conceptually challenging, it's just that there is so much of it, the case names can be very weird and the difference between the style of it and good ol' common law is significant. I am leaving it to what I hope will be my very last, next March - I'll do one of the on-line prep courses that are well spoken-of here, and maybe a grind as well if I can find a dork who likes EU law, and hopefully get the blasted thing out of the way that way.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 37 0435414@live.ie

"It's like eating a ton of stale cornflakes - not particularly conceptually challenging, it's just that there is so much of it"

Im studying it at the moment....excellent analogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭sazzyfiz

serious? What did u concentrate on and did u take a prep course? And how many q's did u answer in ur exam?

i answered 5 questions but the 5th one was on the free movement of capital so i basically quoted the legislation cause i hadnt a clue!

did the prep course in independent which was great!!

to be honest i just concentrated on the exam grid and tried to predict questions:

one question came up the exact same as it had before and independent had given us a sample answer on it! and i did 2 other questions which i predicted would come up and think did well.

one slightly less than averae because i forgot so many case names and then the awful one!!!

but a pass is a pass:D sooo glad i never have to look at it ever again! although i seem to say this about every subject!

good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sunnyshinny

Hey guys

Just looking over EU :confused::( and have a question about the March 2011 Q5 on the free movement of goods.

In the first part it talks about a tax by Mayo County Council on the transportation of natural gas extracted off the Mayo coast and processed within the Council's functional area out of that area, with the result that only gas extracted and used in Mayo in that area is not subject to the charge. Mayo County Council says it is justified because local gas users pay rates, other local charges and / or have to tolerate the location of a massive gas refinery in the county.

Would this be classified as a discriminatory tax provision under Art 110? I'm getting so mixed up between CEE and Art 110

In general how those one differentiate between charges, CEE and discriminatory taxation for identifying the relevant area in a question?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 t2340

Just wondering if anyone who has passed FE1's could tell me what the standard is like?! Do most people do 5 solid answers or what?! So hard to know :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LadyLily

Does anyone know when the results are out? Pretty sure I failed contract today, the one I though was going to be the easiest :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

What is the consensus?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

How did we find contract then? I thought it was tough enough, particularly the problem questions. This was my first FE1 so I made the typical beginner's mistake of going way overboard on the first part of the first question, so time was pretty tight for the rest of the exam.

Re case names, how strict are they on insisting that you provide the full name accurately? My memory failed me in certain areas and I remembered the principles of the cases but sometimes only fractions of the case names. Will I lose out heavily for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

t2340 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone who has passed FE1's could tell me what the standard is like?! Do most people do 5 solid answers or what?! So hard to know :(

Its possible to pass on 2 and a half questions if you are 100% right. But you will never be 100% right i guarantee that. People say they have passed on 3 and a half questions but i think that is a load of BS. You'll need 4 SOLID questions to pass. 5 is a must though. It standard IMO is the same as undergrad law. However you are expected to know A LOT more!!!

Re case names, how strict are they on insisting that you provide the full name accurately? My memory failed me in certain areas and I remembered the principles of the cases but sometimes only fractions of the case names. Will I lose out heavily for that?

Its not the end of the world if you forget one or two but yeah, you really do need to know the case names. IMO thats what makes these exams so hard. Iv no doubt they would be simple to pass if you didnt need to remember cases. I usually spend the 2 days before my exams just learning the names of cases that go with particular facts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LadyLily

I think the difference with FE1s is that are a lot of questions aren't just one topic completely on their own, problem question raise multiple issues in some of the exams whereas when I was in college a problem question was one area of law and not a hint of anything else...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement