Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

What is the consensus?

Pretty sure I failed and it was the one I thought I was the most prepared for.
    The mixing of topics didnt suit me where I knew I could do half of 3 of the 4 problems but couldn't do the other. One question I couldn't get my head around the issues. I ended up doing problem questions that weren't good AT ALL but i thought that might be better than doing half or doing the wrong topic.

In hindsight that was probably the wrong approach.

If anyone is going to go through the contract questions could they possibly write CONTRACT SPOILER at the beginning!? I enjoy this thread and find it very helpful for the next few exams BUT I want to avoid the post mortem of this contract paper so will skip reading them!
    I'd like to stay in blissful ignorance that I was kind of along the right lines with the problem Qs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭sazzyfiz

does anyone have any hints for property law...

im def doing succession, mortgages, family law, easements, adverse possession and co-ownership! anything else that is a must?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

I've sat and passed other fe1's before in March (although I didn't get 3).This was by far the most difficult paper I've done. I think that examiner is a sadist or something. The sheer amount of topics (s?)he crams into every single question is ridiculous. And If you look at the exam reports dealing with questions, you actually are expected to write everything you know about the topics down despite what's said about the answers in general, which obviously means you have to write far more than you do for other exams.

I'm just looking at exam paper again now, Q2: think putting penalty clauses in there on top of pre-existing contractual obligations and privity of contract is a bit much for one question.

I might well have passed it actually (even being incredibly pushed for time), but I think it's a pretty nasty paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

LadyLily wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the results are out? Pretty sure I failed contract today, the one I though was going to be the easiest :(

Last year's results were dated 26th November, that'll give you an idea, ie in about six weeks' time. There'll be something on the lawsoc's website about it.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

wez99950 wrote: »
    Pretty sure I failed and it was the one I thought I was the most prepared for.
    The mixing of topics didnt suit me where I knew I could do half of 3 of the 4 problems but couldn't do the other. One question I couldn't get my head around the issues. I ended up doing problem questions that weren't good AT ALL but i thought that might be better than doing half or doing the wrong topic.

Forget about that exam now, the rest of your subjects will not be as bad as that. Dont get demoralised. I have five so far over a year and just sat two - I actually find Contract pretty awful. You need the memory of an elephant to pass it.

There was'nt enough time to even cover the topics in each problem question - then having to deal with the complex topics that were there and cut them down to the bare bones- and as for the essay topics - penalty clauses and liquidated damages - mixed with mitigation.

Im going to have to become an expert in penalty clauses between now and next March.

The cram schools are going to have to re-write the contract text books - there is a new sheriff in town.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

Has Brian Foley seen it yet? Love to hear his thoughts. Wont even mind if he says it was easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happy_man2010

Just though I'd say that I passed contract last time, got 57 and I forgot a LOT OF case names. I had my principles fairly spot on but I wrote 2 full questions and forgot most of the key case names. So I wouldn't say that remembering case names is the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

Forget about that exam now, the rest of your subjects will not be as bad as that. Dont get demoralised. I have five so far over a year and just sat two - I actually find Contract pretty awful. You need the memory of an elephant to pass it.

There was'nt enough time to even cover the topics in each problem question - then having to deal with the complex topics that were there and cut them down to the bare bones- and as for the essay topics - penalty clauses and liquidated damages - mixed with mitigation.

Im going to have to become an expert in penalty clauses between now and next March.

The cram schools are going to have to re-write the contract text books - there is a new sheriff in town.

To be fair, mitigation and penalty clauses/liquidated damages are part of topics which come up every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

How many maxims should one know in detail for Equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JLex

Hi, any suggestions for property? going to do succession, co-ownership, adverse possession, possession and ownership, licences, easements, family law. Anything else ? :confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Hogzy wrote: »
    How many maxims should one know in detail for Equity?

the maximum amount asked for before was always four and never more than that. But the questions always seem to look for their continued relevance in modern law so the ones that are still in use are the most important ones

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

LadyLily wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the results are out? Pretty sure I failed contract today, the one I though was going to be the easiest :(

Snap, pretty sure I failed as well. Got a horrid mental block and could not remember any cases :( Really hope I pass my other three subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 law girl

I found todays paper very tough, I actually thought it was one of the toughest exams I've ever done! I hate when one doesn't go your way it really knocks your confidence at a time when feeling positive is everything! Ah well maybe an Ireland win tonight and in the morning will get the positive juices flowing again!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Has Brian Foley seen it yet? Love to hear his thoughts. Wont even mind if he says it was easy :)

Brian won't see it unless somebody sends it to him. If you have a scanner, ideally one with OCR, scan the paper and email it to him asap. If your scanner hasn't OCR, send it as a pdf or an image file.
    In fact, if you do have OCR, pop a few of the questions up here for the discussion? I've already passed contract TG, but would be interested is seeing how significant is the change of style under the "new sherriff".

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dal86

Hope the exams are going well for everybody!! Just wondering if anyone had any tips for equity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 emooo

Hey guys I know its been discussed a hundred times but its ok to highlight your legislation just no writing yes? Just confirming before I go to town on my treaties! Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

Hey everyone just for eu, im only able to locate the newest edition of blackstone's treaties and leg book the 22nd edition.Are they going to be strict about letting me use this does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dal86

emooo wrote: »
    Hey guys I know its been discussed a hundred times but its ok to highlight your legislation just no writing yes? Just confirming before I go to town on my treaties! Thanks in advance!

It is perfectly okay to highlight the legislation! Have done it on all the ones I have handed in so far.

brannid3 wrote: »
    Hey everyone just for eu, im only able to locate the newest edition of blackstone's treaties and leg book the 22nd edition.Are they going to be strict about letting me use this does anyone know?

you are allowed to bring in that edition as I emailed the law society before to double check

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

Kamilat wrote: »
    you are allowed to bring in that edition as I emailed the law society before to double check

Thanks Kamilat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

Didn't find contract too bad, but I bet I just missed a load of issues in the problem questions :o

Did straightforward essay on misrep and essay on exemption clauses. The problem questions were very similar to the previous examiners imo, the 2nd half of the frustration Q, for example, on capacity/statute of frauds was almost identical to a previous exam paper.

I do miss the bit at the end of the problem question though where Clarke used to say 'Advise X on issues of Y and Z'. Pretty sure I've missed lots of issues because of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

Did anyone get the notes from City colleges today after the exam for equity? They are outlining 8 key topics for revision, could we take that as being wat they would tip?

mirm wrote: »
    Did anyone get the notes from City colleges today after the exam for equity? They are outlining 8 key topics for revision, could we take that as being wat they would tip?

just as a matter of curiousity what topics are they outlining in those notes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Maxims
    Injunctions (esp. Quia Timet and AP)
    Rescission
    Secret Trusts
    Charitable Trusts
    Resulting Trusts
    Trusteeship
    Tracing.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭db707

Maxims
    Injunctions- Quia Timet and Anton Piller Orders
    Rescission
    Secret Trusts
    Charitable Trusts
    Resulting Trusts
    Trusteeship
    Tracing

Just reading it now

Also messed up contract- Qu2 was advising Pat when realised I should be advising Charles- passed once would be really annoyed if failed this time. Also thought much harder than last time- really mixing the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

wez99950 wrote: »

Everything said so far makes it sound perfectly fine. Its been clear for the last few exams that remedies was having a new nearly thematic focus each year and penalty clauses was one of the few areas untouched thus far on the paper. It would always be covered in GCD.

Equally, the "lots of topics in each question" is something that's old-hat for contract at this point and something flagged all the time. Sure in October 2010 some 17 of the possible 23 subject areas found their way onto the paper and, I think, 4 questions that year mixed 11 topics.

Equally, it seems like "misrepresentation" and exclusion clauses found their way into essays, which doesn't seem ground breaking.

Have not seen the paper yet but it sounds exactly like previous papers in style and format, in particular including frustration in with other issues (done the last three exams) and including capacity and the statute of frauds (as in October 2008).

Honestly, it sounds like perfectly fine and exactly along the lines we'd be pushing students to prepare for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 emooo

Dal86 wrote: »
    It is perfectly okay to highlight the legislation! Have done it on all the ones I have handed in so far.

Thank you Dal86, its gonna be a sea of colour with tabs and highlighter! And Im in same boat as others, have the 22nd edition of Foster's book too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cooper10

AnnAh1986 wrote: »
    cooper10 wrote: »
    I know.....I'm ashamed of myself too. Last April I did only have 2 days to learn property and passed it though so I'm hoping with double the time for a much bigger subject I can do the same this time! I work full time if I can use that as an excuse?!

Going by what prep courses say and from what my friends who have sat it before, focus on following to guarantee 5 q's: (This is what I am going by)

Institutions - alot in Treaty so have underlined - look at past q's
    Sources of EU Law - EU competences, Fundamental Rights mainly
    Procedures - Prelim Ref, Enforcement and Annulment Action
    Application of EU Law - Direct effect, Supremacy
    ALL Fundamental Freedoms

Nearly every year this will give you 5 questions - actually every year I think if you do the case note question as 5th question

The remaining topics are a bonus but Competition is prob worth a look for this year.
    The likes of Equality is usually only advised if you have time as an extra but it is due.

This stuff is soul destroying - cannot believe the utter banality of FMOG. Don't know what I was thinking this morning :) Thanks for your tips though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 karlpilkington

hate exam post mortums but....I answered the first part of the advise Charles question as a williams roffey brothers type deal.. it almost had exact same facts but charles (subcontractor) asked for the additional payment so i figured he wasnt entitled to keep payment? Anyone else use this logic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 AnnAh1986

cooper10 wrote: »
    This stuff is soul destroying - cannot believe the utter banality of FMOG. Don't know what I was thinking this morning :) Thanks for your tips though!

I actually just checked as I am cutting down too and with those topics listed first you would have 5 questions every year even without the case note question - at least back as far as 2007 - so you could be lucky if you study those! It's worth a go, especially with the Treaties as an aid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement