Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭sazzyfiz

Q8 was easements. Trying to study them at the moment, they're killing me. What changes have been made? Acquisition of easements is taking me ages to get have common law prescription and lost modern grant been abolished?

Whats everyone focusing in on for property? Im very stuck for time so cutting it majorly!!

I also think JC that ur right each to their own, they are tough exams, but this is a competition and ppl shouldn't be looking down on others who do the prep courses either, every1 has a diff way of preparing

lost modern grant has been abolished! and so has common law prescription in regards to presumed grant easements the only acquisition that remains is by virtue of the prescription acts but note that the 2009 act has altered the time limits!!!

wud u by any chance have a copy of the march 2011 property paper u wud be able to mail me? im missin it from my set and sorta panicking now!!

does anyone know what has been hinted to appear on the property paper?

i was thinking of leavin out

tenure
    estates
    hybrid estates
    settled land

are most people thinking tenure will come up and landlord and tenant wont???

stress of it all, roll on half 12 on thurs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

For property, I am studying:

- Adverse possession
    - Easements and profits a prendre
    - Registration of land
    - Succession
    - Co-ownership
    - Equity and notice
    - Treasure trove

That set of subjects seems to have me covered judging by most past exams I've seen. I'm tempted to do mortgages though, it seems easy enough and a very popular topic so I might try get at least an outline knowledge of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Thanks, the manuals are a great help saying they still exist today, thats a revised manual saying that!!Time periods are 20 and 30? ive only got a hard copy of the paper.

easements prob q
    coownership problem q
    succession problem
    succession essay
    finding problem
    family essay
    landlord and tenant law
    adverse possession essay

Thanks, the manuals are a great help saying they still exist today, thats a revised manual saying that!!Time periods are 20 and 30? ive only got a hard copy of the paper.

easements prob q
    coownership problem q
    succession problem
    succession essay
    finding problem
    family essay
    landlord and tenant law
    adverse possession essay

time periods are now 12 and 30 - similar to adverse possession - the LRC recommended that! thanks a mill for the march paper topics

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 law girl

easements prob q
    coownership problem q
    succession problem
    succession essay
    finding problem
    family essay
    landlord and tenant law
    adverse possession essay

I believe the manuals were't updated on purpose in order to prevent the selling on of manuals and encourage people to actually do the course. I suppose if you've paid x amount of money you would like to be privy to some extra information..

law girl wrote: »
    I believe the manuals were't updated on purpose in order to prevent the selling on of manuals and encourage people to actually do the course. I suppose if you've paid x amount of money you would like to be privy to some extra information..[/QUOTE

for anyway who has an old manual, i have april 2011 but it doesnt seem to be great at updating - anyway just read the 2009 act expenatory memorandum - its tells u everything u need to know!

law girl wrote: »
    I believe the manuals were't updated on purpose in order to prevent the selling on of manuals and encourage people to actually do the course. I suppose if you've paid x amount of money you would like to be privy to some extra information..

I'd well believe it, as I bought a 2010/11 IC manual and it doesn't have anything on treasure trove or profits a prendre.

I'd well believe it, as I bought a 2010/11 IC manual and it doesn't have anything on treasure trove or profits a prendre.

yeh same, had to make all my own notes on it! beyond annoying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Dal86

Hey guys.

I know this is stupid but can someone give me a simple English explanation on how to define the relevant geographic product Market?

Hate EU!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

I have this sitting IC for property and there is nothing on profits, or much about the changes, so the price of the course doesn't get u privy to extra info!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 itsonlybla

JCJCJC wrote: »
    I have equity passed so today's paper isn't a worry for me. If you found it easy - good for you, but I really don't like the posts I'm reading here piddling on people who didn't find it easy today. There are different strokes for different folks - doing a bad exam is enough of a set-back for someone without getting kicked further, don't feel superior because you liked the paper. I don't care if people decide to follow tips or predictions from a prep college or if they read their horoscope in the Daily Mail this morning and went by that - to each his own. If you are talking in terms of becoming a member of a profession, show some collegiality right now to another human being who will one day be your professional colleague.

Just my two cents.

JC
    That's very well said

Just looking through the 2009 Act, there seem to be a lot of areas where it looks like it makes minor changes, like constructive notice and registration of land. I don't know if these are important changes though, or just minor changes to ensure compatibility. Sure wish they'd just let us bring in the Act...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

I have this sitting IC for property and there is nothing on profits, or much about the changes, so the price of the course doesn't get u privy to extra info!!

This is quite surprising. I put the bare bones of the issue in post ref 6869 just off the top of my head. If you're doing property in March 2012 or later, you should do some reading on the matter. Lyall and Wylie have plenty in their textbooks on it, the more recent editions will no doubt incorporate the changes made by the 2009 Act. But, for the definitive source, Peter Bland BL's book is the business. It may be a bit pricey for one topic in one subject that might not appear at all, but if you have the opportunity, read Bland's book. Any practising solicitor or barrister can borrow it overnight by DX from the law society's library or from the law library itself, so if you know someone - ask for a favour. Otherwise, normal local authority run public libraries offer an inter-library lending service, given time, thay can source anything from anywhere for you, so they could probably get you Wylie, Lyall or Bland. They also take requests into account when they buy new books each year, say that to them if they can't get you the book. It is also the case that some large companies and corporations take out corporate membership of their local college libraries - I worked for one that had UL library membership - so you might be able to source Bland and other expensive materials that way.

I just checked Bland's book on Amazon for the hyperlink I've put in above - USD500 - crazy. It cost me a lot less from the publishers, but just looking around it's €250 here. Still crazy for one small topic for our purposes. Get it from the library, the IBAN reference is 9781858005546.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MDR25

You can get it in the Government Publications Office, Sales Dept, on Molesworth St (just off Kildare St).

Thanks a mill and thanks for the address saved me somuch time!

For property, I am studying:

- Adverse possession
    - Easements and profits a prendre
    - Registration of land
    - Succession
    - Co-ownership
    - Equity and notice
    - Treasure trove

That set of subjects seems to have me covered judging by most past exams I've seen. I'm tempted to do mortgages though, it seems easy enough and a very popular topic so I might try get at least an outline knowledge of it.

Damn, looking through the papers again it seems that I'm not as covered as I thought I was. Thinking of adding another topic to that to be safe, but I don't have much time with criminal on Wednesday.

Any advice? What's short but popular? Anything tipped to come up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LadyLily

Hey I'm a mere first timer but I have written out a number of topics based on the Law Society syllabus, just so you can compare:
    Co-ownership
    Lease and Licence
    Mortgages (not too long, just the various types and mortgagee powers)
    Succession
    Family Property (quite easy to get through even if you haven't covered it)
    Easement
    AP
    A small bit on the influence of equity.
    Have some notes done on settlements, but I haven't even looked at them. I have no idea will this even cover me.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭db707

My head is about to explode- I can remember NOTHING for EU!!! Wish these things were more spread out. May go to bed soon and get up at 5am- maybe it will make more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smjsmj

Damn, looking through the papers again it seems that I'm not as covered as I thought I was. Thinking of adding another topic to that to be safe, but I don't have much time with criminal on Wednesday.

i think you should do family property thats quick and easy and comes up pretty often
    do a bullet point page of mortgages just to have for back up and you should be fine then.
    Best of luck.

smjsmj wrote: »
    i think you should do family property thats quick and easy and comes up pretty often
    do a bullet point page of mortgages just to have for back up and you should be fine then.
    Best of luck.

Cheers, I had just decided to do this actually :D Now I feel a bit more sure of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 smjsmj

db707 wrote: »
    My head is about to explode- I can remember NOTHING for EU!!! Wish these things were more spread out. May go to bed soon and get up at 5am- maybe it will make more sense.

yeh go to bed, if your anyway tired you'lll never be able to remember anything.
    I always think if you have a good 6 hours sleep, a good breakfast, strong coffee then if you read over your notes you'll remember more than you think.
    I found eu pretty straight forward there is usually no nasty surprises.
    Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Hi all,

Quick q would really appreciate if anyone can help me with:

Re assault, S2(1) of 1997 Act - 2nd type where someone "causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely to be IMMEDIATELY subjected to any such force or impact, ..."

But then Re Constanza removed the requirement for temporal immediacy between words spoken & any apprehended fear - as this was a UK case, does the immediacy requirement re a threat of force (assault) still stand in Ireland? Don't think it's been overruled in any Irish case has it?

Any help much appreciated also thanks for all the helpful posts up here keeps me sane to know I'm not the only one being driven demented by these exams :) nearly there!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Ciaran Patton

banterful wrote: »
    Hi all,

Re assault, S2(1) of 1997 Act - 2nd type where someone "causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely to be IMMEDIATELY subjected to any such force or impact, ..."

But then Re Constanza removed the requirement for temporal immediacy between words spoken & any apprehended fear - as this was a UK case, does the immediacy requirement re a threat of force (assault) still stand in Ireland? Don't think it's been overruled in any Irish case has it?

Any help much appreciated also thanks for all the helpful posts up here keeps me sane to know I'm not the only one being driven demented by these exams :) nearly there!!!

The immediacy requirement still applies in Ireland. There are very few cases on the interpretation of the provisions of the 1997 Act. This might cause some students to attach weight to cases from England and Wales that are really irrelevant. Just make sure that you are familiar with the 1997 Act's provisions, most of which are self-explanatory.

Trying to get my head around the amount of statutory provisions for Offences against Property and it's killing me. Just how much detail is required? Will vague details suffice for some of the lesser important crimes, like say, making off without payment?

It is sufficient to accurately paraphrase a legislative provision. Having regard to previous exam papers, some of the offences against property appear to be more popular with the examiner than others. You should be thoroughly familiar with theft, robbery, burglary, aggravated burglary, handling stolen property and the criminal-damage offences.

Ciarán Patton
    Independent College Dublin

Re insanity and automatism, I've also seen references to insane automatism - is this just insanity or what? Slightly confused! Thanks for any help.

Insane automatism is insanity.

Ciarán Patton

Thank you, much appreciated!
    banterful wrote: »
    Hi all,

The immediacy requirement still applies in Ireland. There are very few cases on the interpretation of the provisions of the 1997 Act. This might cause some students to attach weight to cases from England and Wales that are really irrelevant. Just make sure that you are familiar with the 1997 Act's provisions, most of which are self-explanatory.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

Do European Court of Human Rights rulings over-ride the Supreme Court of Ireland's? EG does Heaney & McGuinness v Ireland 2000 officially overrule Heaney v Ireland 1996?

Anyone have any tips on what to really focus on in the next 24 hours till the exam? IE things that almost never come up versus things that always/usually come up?

doing wrote: »
    Do European Court of Human Rights rulings over-ride the Supreme Court of Ireland's? EG does Heaney & McGuinness v Ireland 2000 officially overrule Heaney v Ireland 1996?

Anyone have any tips on what to really focus on in the next 24 hours till the exam? IE things that almost never come up versus things that always/usually come up?

The answer to your first two questions is "no". Only the High Court and the Supreme Court may pronounce on the constitutionality of legislation.

Now, at the 11th hour, you should be focusing on the offences against the person, offences against property and the defences.

Ciarán Patton

Hi again,

Quick q on sexual assault - manual & various places online say max punishment = 10 years or 14 years if victim was u/14 years at time.

However the actual statute - S2(2) of 1990 Act says the max punishment 5 years for sexual assault.

Confused! Which is it does anyone know?

Cheers and good luck tomo everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 hero82

well what did everyone make of eu???so annoyed over that paper!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement