Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

Right, so I did my first 4 in October (Criminal, Contract, Equity, Property), and it's time to sign up for prep courses. I am really really unsure as to whether I passed 3. If I didn't, I'm willing to sit the same four plus 2 others in March. I don't want to sign up for 4 more subjects unless it turns out I passed 3 at least. I think I've decided on Tort as having been in Independent Colleges, I can see why Val is so highly regarded.

I'm veering towards Company also, for no strong reason, perhaps because in doing 6 I may as well leave out the 2 reputedly toughest ones (EU and Constitutional). Does anyone have any experience of Sarah Neligan for Company Law? Is there a standout lecturer for Company elsewhere? Cheers guys, can't believe I'm back on here so bloody soon... !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

So I started doing some study for the FE-1's. I have a couple of questions please if someone could answer, as I couldn't find it in the other threads.

I was looking through the syllabus for these exams, and they are very lengthy and I was wondering how could you tone down the topics. So if there is 8 questions and do 5 how can you pick say 5 or 6 topics and ensure you will get a question on the topics you've studied (correct me if I'm wrong anyone as I've got the manuals and grids but haven't looked too closely yet as I've been just getting familiar with some of the subjects again, so maybe they would give me more info??).

Anyways take criminal law for example, on the syllabus it is split into four sections but in each section there is areas/topics that are huge e.g. Murder, or one of the defences. So is there any way to maybe tone it down like say choosing 3 defences to know well, then maybe theft and murder and criminal procedure. Or would you have to know all the areas they set down in the syllabus, like would a question maybe contain elements from all parts of the syllabus e.g. a problem question containing a situation about theft, that could have included a Guard illegally searching the offender and so this would include advising about a defence with some information on whether they will be indicted or not (as in the procedure).

Sorry for all the questions, and I know I sound lazy but I'd prefer to try tone everything down for these exams as much as I can, I don't want to be learning the syllabus off. I've got the text book for each of the exams I picked and have manuals for them that included some past exam papers and sample answers, I intend to get more past papers too. At the moment I'm just reacquainting myself with each subject by going through some of the chapters of the book, but it's a bit scary when you see the size of the syllabus and the the size of the book, I'd prefer if I could just do what I did in college: pick 5 topics and have them nailed down and pass! Am I worrying too much, will it become more clear after looking at the previous papers, should I abandon going through the text book so much and just get cracking at the manuals and past exam papers (i.e. start practicing questions etc).

Sorry again for all the info and question, hopefully someone can give me some insight! Actual study is going well it's just the potential volume that I'm starting to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭sazzyfiz

you will just have to analyse the exam grids and cut down to what you think. there are no guaranteed questions and you will simply have to choose what you think you will be on the exam paper. This may seem difficult but the exams are difficult so you will have to take risks with what you choose.

sazzyfiz wrote: »
    you will just have to analyse the exam grids and cut down to what you think. there are no guaranteed questions and you will simply have to choose what you think you will be on the exam paper. This may seem difficult but the exams are difficult so you will have to take risks with what you choose.

I see, so it's more like pick certain areas and know them well at the cost of leaving out others that could possibly come up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

I think you'd be crazy to take the approach of picking a few topics to learn inside out and ignoring the rest of the syllabus. With these exams you are better off having a good outline of the whole syllabus then knowing a few topics in depth.

In criminal for example the examiner frequently mixes a multitude of offences and defences in his questions. So if you studied only 3 defences, theft, murder and criminal procedure I think you would be lucky to have more than 2 or 3 questions. He really does examine the entire syllabus on the paper. Same with contract. Other subjects (e.g. tort, equity) do not 'mix' topics as such but there is really no logical pattern so you have to cover as much as you can.

Have a look at the exam papers and make up your own mind but I personally think that cutting down the syllabus in the way you suggest is madness. If I were you I would start going through the manuals and exam questions. It's probably the easiest and most straightforward way to study. I personally only use textbooks to supplement the manual if I need to clarify something - the manuals themselves are enough to pass.

• Advertisement

I think you'd be crazy to take the approach of picking a few topics to learn inside out and ignoring the rest of the syllabus. With these exams you are better off having a good outline of the whole syllabus then knowing a few topics in depth.

In criminal for example the examiner frequently mixes a multitude of offences and defences in his questions. So if you studied only 3 defences, theft, murder and criminal procedure I think you would be lucky to have more than 2 or 3 questions. He really does examine the entire syllabus on the paper. Same with contract. Other subjects (e.g. tort, equity) do not 'mix' topics as such but there is really no logical pattern so you have to cover as much as you can.

Have a look at the exam papers and make up your own mind but I personally think that cutting down the syllabus in the way you suggest is madness. If I were you I would start going through the manuals and exam questions. It's probably the easiest and most straightforward way to study. I personally only use textbooks to supplement the manual if I need to clarify something - the manuals themselves are enough to pass.

Thanks aboutagirl, im gonna do as you say and start going through the manuals and exam papers, and then use the book for helping me with topics. What I was doing was going through the book and making my own notes, which seems very lengthy when trying to study for 4 subjects, I was gonna go at the manuals and questions when I had gone through the books!! Maybe pick a few topics to know inside out and use the book and other things for good detail and then try have a good knowledge of the other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Averagejoemack

Any update on when the results are out... prep courses are starting this week but i dont know which subjects I'll be doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

chops018 wrote: »
    Thanks aboutagirl, im gonna do as you say and start going through the manuals and exam papers, and then use the book for helping me with topics. What I was doing was going through the book and making my own notes, which seems very lengthy when trying to study for 4 subjects, I was gonna go at the manuals and questions when I had gone through the books!! Maybe pick a few topics to know inside out and use the book and other things for good detail and then try have a good knowledge of the other areas.

If you're starting to study now you should have enough time to cover most if not all of the syllabi. Since you have the grids, you can decide which areas to really study thoroughly.

JC

JCJCJC wrote: »
    If you're starting to study now you should have enough time to cover most if not all of the syllabi. Since you have the grids, you can decide which areas to really study thoroughly.

JC

Thanks for the reply. I'm a bit more confident now after going through a topic in the criminal law manual and then at the end I had a look at the past questions and tried to make an outline of the answer I would give, got on better than expected when I went and read the examiners reports so that gave me a nice boost as I was very overwhelmed the other day!! Let's hope the study like this keeps up!! I know I'm still numerous topics away and I know I'm going to have to keep attempting questions (properly and not just making an outline) to make myself more prepared but as you say I should have plenty of time!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Hi all,

Could someone tell me if employers liability was up on the last paper?

Thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Amy.M

Hi, does anyone have the most recent exam grids for these and would be willing to send them to me??

Amy.M wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone have the most recent exam grids for these and would be willing to send them to me??

Hi, this is just for discussing the actual exam. You will get more help on this thread with regards the buying and selling of material:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055100192&page=67

Amre17 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Could someone tell me if employers liability was up on the last paper?

Thanks..

no, vicarious liability was though!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

sazzyfiz wrote: »
    no, vicarious liability was though!

Thanks sally - think employers liability will be the next topic to study so..

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LawNerd2011

Hey everyone,
    I wound sincerely appreciate some advice. I have yet to start a prep course for EU. Given that they started this week, whom would you recommend? My choices are:

Jennifer Goode – GCD
    Brendan Foley – City
    Gary Fitzgerald – Independent Colleges`

I’m really just looking for somebody enthusiastic who will explain the basics well. I don’t want to make the wrong decision, as 300 euro is a lot of money for me at the present moment as I’m out of work.
    Thanks again guys.
    LawNerd2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

IMO Gary Fitzgerald is the best for that you're looking for, but Brendan Foley is good too (but I think his forté is constitution IIRC).

The most knowledgeable about the EU is definitely Jennifer Goode though.

Probably makes the decision even tougher.

Thanks Freudian Slippers. LOL - still no closer to a decision though? I'll just pick one and go with it even if I have to draw straws.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I have nothing bad to say about any of them, but if you want someone who can explain things quite well and simply I'd go for Fitzgerald, if you want someone who knows their stuff but may be slightly more technical you should go for Goode.

Gotcha, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garethj

Anybody have any clues if results are out next week? I have heard rumours...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

garethj wrote: »
    Anybody have any clues if results are out next week? I have heard rumours...

Rumours from a good source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

I rang law soc education centre today they said they hope to have them out by the end of the month but no date has been confirmed to check the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Northern Child

You can do all 8 imo with a law degree behind you - I did it in October and stressful as it was it was worth it. I didn't work for the summer and I started serious panic studying in mid/late August although I was looking at the material at intervals during the Summer.

You could do 6 and 2 though - easier to manage and no need to do them all in same calendar year.
    how did you divide up your time and attention when doing the 8? was looking through this forum for help but see its quite old. have registered for review course of the 8 but still not decided if i will go for all of them at once- any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Charlie D

Anybody doing a revision course for constitutional or where would they recommend doing one? Any advice would be appreciated:)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Charlie D wrote: »
    Anybody doing a revision course for constitutional or where would they recommend doing one? Any advice would be appreciated:)

Hey Charlie D, I am doing constitutional at City Colleges, and so far (week 1) I am impressed. The manual is concise (in comparison to the massive Independent College manual) and well written and the teacher, Brendan Foley, is excellent. He is very logical, almost mathematical, the kind of teacher that I respond to. Finally, the online course is very reasonably priced (295 Euro).

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Interesting point about understanding the basics - i think thats really important!
    Little point in being very technical if you dont understand the basics - like me!!!

Am i wrong in saying that:
    -The Lisbon treaty is the TEU & the TFEU? nothing more or less?
    -There are 2, TEU treaties, the post lisbon is all we need to know for the exam though.

thanks and apologies for a stupid question

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Called the law society and they said results would be posted/released online on the 25th of November, which is a Friday.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Called the law society and they said results would be posted/released online on the 25th of November, which is a Friday.

ahhhhh!!!! do you know what u need to check results online???

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Hogzy wrote: »

Thanks for letting us know Hogzy:D Fingers crossed that the results fairy will be kind;). Only another week to wait at any rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 chris.jennings

Hey All,

Revising for FE1 and faced with a ridiculously easy question yet just hitting mental block.. Could anyone refresh my memory?

Need to discuss the impact which the Electronic Commerce Act 2000 has had on the 'postal rule' in contract law.

I know about section 20 of the act but anything else you could add to help my discussion? Quick summary if you could would really help me out and remind me of the areas to focus on..

Cheers all,

Chris

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement