Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Aprilsunshine

AKK wrote: »
    In terms of EU law, the only text book I have is good ole Craig & De Burca which again is a little too much for me.

try catherine barnard "substantive law of EU" 2007 ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

I also did all 8 during the summer. Started looking at stuff in July and properly learning mid-August. It was pure hell for the entire summer having to be stuck inside studying all day but I got them all out of the way. Now I'm midway through an LLM and I don't have to worry about fe1s ever again. So all 8 is definitely an option.

I also have friends who did 6 and are now doing 2 in March. They worked part-time while doing them and they got the 6 they did.

Once you get the first three exams you have 5 years to get the rest so you could easily do the second set in october 2010.

Good luck with finals anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Do people cover the whole course or is it standard to leave sections out. In EU I was going to leave out Competition law as the questions on it are always difficult but now I'm finding it impossible to get my head around all the case law in free movement chapters so was thinking of leaving that out instead. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Cindy2106

Thanks a mill for helping me, I might as well attempt the 8 and then if i panic too much, I'll drop two and do them later.. How do people keep their motivation up for all the summer? I'm in hell now in final year, and not doing that much until study week and cramming everything in that I can and praying for the best!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 rick flair

FE 1 Exam Solutions

HI all

I am just wondering where you get the FE 1 solutions for questions, i am looking for the 2001 equity exam but any advice on where i can get these would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Aprilsunshine

rick flair wrote: »
    FE 1 Exam Solutions

HI all

I am just wondering where you get the FE 1 solutions for questions, i am looking for the 2001 equity exam but any advice on where i can get these would be great.

There are no solutions I'm afraid.
    Unless you mean examiner reports which can be very vague...but you order them from law society or get them from Independent/Griffith.

sunnyside wrote: »
    Do people cover the whole course or is it standard to leave sections out. In EU I was going to leave out Competition law as the questions on it are always difficult but now I'm finding it impossible to get my head around all the case law in free movement chapters so was thinking of leaving that out instead. Any ideas?

It's not necessary to cover absolutely everything but you'd want to be careful not to cut too much out. As for Competition Law it always come up as one question so if you leave it out you're only down one out of eight.

If you can't get your head around free movement you're not going to get very far with EU I'm afraid. Basically you can't cut both out. Free movement can come up in 2 or 3 questions so it's by far the more important.

Don't forget the examiner is asking more and more about the Brussels regulation and equal treatment etc so don't cut too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

r14 wrote: »
    It's not necessary to cover absolutely everything but you'd want to be careful not to cut too much out. As for Competition Law it always come up as one question so if you leave it out you're only down one out of eight.

If you can't get your head around free movement you're not going to get very far with EU I'm afraid. Basically you can't cut both out. Free movement can come up in 2 or 3 questions so it's by far the more important.

Don't forget the examiner is asking more and more about the Brussels regulation and equal treatment etc so don't cut too much.

Thank you, I know competition law always come up but the questions on it are really difficult which is why lots of people seem to be talking about not doing it.

The free movement chapters have too much case law for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Quick question for any fans of contract law out there....
    In the Independent College manual I have it explicitly states that the only two ways a contractual term may be implied is by fact or by law. Are terms implied by custom considered a sub section of one of these, or are they not required for FE1 purposes. Seems a shame to forget my college notes on O'Reilly v. Irish Press and those cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

vote4pedro wrote: »
    In the Independent College manual I have it explicitly states that the only two ways a contractual term may be implied is by fact or by law. Are terms implied by custom considered a sub section of one of these, or are they not required for FE1 purposes.

They're considered a term implied by fact. Doesn't it say that in your manual? It does in mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

When you are quoting a passage from a decision does it have to be word for word? Are you better of putting it into your own words.
    Also if for example you want to quote a passage from a textbook say Delaney on Equity does it have to be word for word and do you need to cite the page no?

Panic starting to set in now and still 7 weeks to go.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Shinytoyguns

Hey guys,

Have a full set of all eight Griffith manuals and past papers from 07/08 up for sale, price negotiable.
    Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

try catherine barnard "substantive law of EU" 2007 ed

Cheers for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Brenji

page 1, don't worry about word for word quotations. There isn't time in the exam to be messing around with stuff like that. As long as you know the cases and the principles that are contained in them, and can apply that knowledge properly, you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

page1 wrote: »
    Panic starting to set in now and still 7 weeks to go.:eek:

Only 7? Uh-oh :(

Thanks Brenji, thats one thing less to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 galwaygirl24

Hello,

Wondering what text book people used for EU Law? Did you stick to Craig & De Burca or could you recommend another one please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 squiggly1

Hi all, constitutional has always been my least fave subject tryin to decide what areas i should cover to pass fe1s? or mayb what areas to leave out? iv left all my study for constitutional til last.

squiggly1 wrote: »
    Hi all, constitutional has always been my least fave subject tryin to decide what areas i should cover to pass fe1s? or mayb what areas to leave out? iv left all my study for constitutional til last.
    Not suggesting that this is the best way to approach it (when I left stuff out in constit I nearly went mad with worry that it would come up), but a number of my friends got the constit exam by just studying the rights and completely skipping the institutions.

There are usually enough questions based on the rights to get by.

jaysus, only seven weeks to go?! Ive yet to look at three subjects, but have all my notes taken on two. these will not be a fun 7 weeks....

• Advertisement

vote4pedro wrote: »
    jaysus, only seven weeks to go?! Ive yet to look at three subjects, but have all my notes taken on two. these will not be a fun 7 weeks....

Was going to sit 5 this time but baby and myself sick for practically whole of November so that month was a write off.
    Have notes on 4 so going to stick with those and start learning them from now. The thoughts of it ........:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 saleofgoods_boo

I'm hearing you. Ouch, I left this too late. Maybe not though. I did end up getting alright marks the last time I did these.

Query for anyone; I don't really want to buy the Sale of Goods legislation. As far as I can see from the past exams, its maybe been relevant once and, in any event, the whole Act doesn't seem to be examinable - only the bus.org kind of provisions (13, 14, 15) and then the bits on exclusion clauses. It's odd because the Act, when I checked it out, isn't even on the syllabus. Consumer protection is, but the Act is about more than consumers? Anyone every buy this?

I'm a bit in the dark - all I did was order the exam questions from Law Soc and read syllabus...they don't really seem to tally all the time.

I didn't bother getting the Sale of Goods Act because I figured if you know the Sale of Goods cases you'll know roughly what the Act says. That said those publications are usually quite cheap so it won't break the bank if you want it there as a backup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 atie13

Hi
    Im just wondering if anyone has an up to date Equity manual (Griffith or Independent Colleges) for sale??

If so how much is it going for?

Cheers:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 filofax

Hi

just wondering if anyone has a company manual and past papers for sale?
    if so, you can personal massage me or just reply to tread.

thanks

p.s. best of lusk to all in march/april

• Registered Users Posts: 17 legally_binding

atie13 wrote: »
    Hi
    Im just wondering if anyone has an up to date Equity manual (Griffith or Independent Colleges) for sale??

If so how much is it going for?

Cheers:)

Hi have Independent Colleges Manual from 07 , used it for October 08 sitting.
    Also you can have papers etc
    40e plus postage

• Registered Users Posts: 18 brunettechick

motivation is a big fat ZERO!!!!
    7 weeks on one hand seems so far away but considering i havent been able to focus all last week it seems far too close!!!! aaaaagh!!!!!!
    plus every day some paper or another is on about the law society and lack of jobs etc!!!
    depressing :mad: :eek: :mad: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Me too, I don't know anything yet. ANy study tips welcome, I'm really struggling here!

Hmm, i cant seem to find the timetable on the lawsociety's site again. Is April 8th the last day of the exams?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭sid4lev

Could anyone please post up the topics that came up in the sept/oct 2008 (last sitting) property paper? thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement