Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

jrocco wrote: »
    No offence taken at all. Yes prep course and manuals. I have sample answers and was comparing to those. My writing is an issue, not the most beautiful, does that impact significantly?

I had been doing sample questions and was having them compared to old exams and wad doing well, I also know factually both contract and criminal I hit most major cases that were relevant to the questions.

The writing shouldn't be a major issue as long as it is reasonably legible, it's just something that occurred to me as a possible potential barrier when I read your original question. Maybe you could write a page of material at exam pace and speed, and ask a few 40-60 yr-olds if they can read it easily, that's the generation who tend to be active academic lawyers and they don't do txt-spk.
    I can see why you're p'd off, your preparation seems to have been solid enough. I passed criminal this time, I did four problem questions and one essay. I prefer tackling problems generally. My recollection is that there was a lot of statute law in the problems,various assaults, theft, recklessness, arson, making off without payment, rape under S4, etc rather than case-law. I did the GCD one-day last Spring for the Autumn sitting, and i followed the advice their guy gave. He said for each offence, identify the statutory provision in as much detail as you can, Act title, year, Section, sub-section, sub-sub-section if you're able. Then describe the mens rea and actus reus for the offence, and then say why your character fits in to the ingredients from the given facts.
    Maybe you did essays focusing more on case-law.

JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 freebooze4all

Hey first time poster, long time reader. I just did my first set and got 44 in Contract and 46 in Constiutional, so failed the set overall. I thought I could have scraped a pass in both but hadn't done them before so wasn't sure of the standard etc....

If money were no object would people recommend appealing them? I know there are always going to be stories of results going up but is 6% in one and 4% in the other pushing it a bit?

Thanks for any opinions and all the previous help this forum has given me.

Hey first time poster, long time reader. I just did my first set and got 44 in Contract and 46 in Constiutional, so failed the set overall. I thought I could have scraped a pass in both but hadn't done them before so wasn't sure of the standard etc....

If money were no object would people recommend appealing them? I know there are always going to be stories of results going up but is 6% in one and 4% in the other pushing it a bit?

Thanks for any opinions and all the previous help this forum has given me.

Has to be worth it, you're reasonably close and there's a lot riding on it for you. I would say yes.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

Hey peeps, so I passed 3/4 first time around, with exception of the ghost fourth which was sadly company.I studied company in undergrad and started studying for it already.

I know a few are on the same boat here so I was just wondering if anyone else is going to tackle the 5 in March to avoid delaying blackhall for a year?Seems a lot advise against the 5 together here but I'd like to avoid the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

brannid3 wrote: »
    Hey peeps, so I passed 3/4 first time around, with exception of the ghost fourth which was sadly company.I studied company in undergrad and started studying for it already.

I know a few are on the same boat here so I was just wondering if anyone else is going to tackle the 5 in March to avoid delaying blackhall for a year?Seems a lot advise against the 5 together here but I'd like to avoid the wait.

If the timetable works out well( as in a few days between each exam) and Start studying for the five now and there is no reason why you can't get them all. Yes they are difficult but remember some people get 8 in one sitting; although I have no idea how!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

Does anyone know if you get a new manual if you are a repeat?
    Im doing the independent course.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Caoileann wrote: »
    Does anyone know if you get a new manual if you are a repeat?
    Im doing the independent course.

If the manual has been updated, then yes you do get a new manual. You have to return your old one though. Just check with Sharon in Independent there. The tort manual wasn't updated since the October sitting anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 freebooze4all

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Has to be worth it, you're reasonably close and there's a lot riding on it for you. I would say yes.

JC

(edit your last posts to clear the duplication)

Thanks for that JC. I think I will, I just needed the push. Hopefully it works out!

Sorry about the duplication, don't know what happened. Sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

I got my letter today. Beneath the results it says "Although you have not passed the examinations outright, you may have secured exemptions under [the] rules."

I presume what this means is that, although I have not passed all of the FE1s, I will have obtained exemptions from the ones I passed, and not that I haven't passed the exams I sat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jrocco

colonel1 wrote: »
    To be honest, getting your 3 topics rechecked is an expensive risk. Did you do 5 questions in each paper?

I wouldn't take on a fifth subject at this stage, focus on the subjects you have done already and practice exam questions. Company law is a tough paper to pass btw, though the paper was quite nice in the October sitting.

If you haven't done a prep course, perhaps the one day revision course in Griffith would be worth considering.

Yes did 5 in all papers however equity the final Q was not good and I knew that.

I was just looking back on this discussion board and the paper for contract that in my view I was very close to passing, all the areas mentioned by the Griffith director were what I have noted on the paper, ......maybe i should go for the rechecks.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

Guys- im seriously confused by the exam rules. i have 5 exams passed. i sat 3 this sitting but only got a 50 on one am i entitled to keep this or do i have to sit all 3 again. Rule 7 seems to apply I can keep it but Rule 6 contradicts it. It also refers to sitting exam for the first time and previously sitting exam. why cant they make this clear?!! HELP!!!!

Mojo22 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Have passed 5 of the exams so three left in March. Am delighted :)
    Really disappointed with Equity. Thought I did a really good paper & fairely confident I had passed but only got 43%. Did anybody else find that??
    Didnt do a good EU Paper but managed to pass. The marking is so random.

MOJO- do u know how many you have to pass in next sitting?? if you have 3 left do u need to pass 2??

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

I got my letter today. Beneath the results it says "Although you have not passed the examinations outright, you may have secured exemptions under [the] rules."

I presume what this means is that, although I have not passed all of the FE1s, I will have obtained exemptions from the ones I passed, and not that I haven't passed the exams I sat?

Yes that is correct. The language used in the law soc regs can be a tad obscure! So if this was ur 1st sitting and you passed 3 or 4 these are your exemptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mojo22

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    MOJO- do u know how many you have to pass in next sitting?? if you have 3 left do u need to pass 2??

Hi Elmo
    No I dont think we have to pass two. We can pass one two or three. Just read the rules there & i think passing two out of three is for a candidate doing the exam for the first time whos entitled to exmptions from five or more must sit all remaining exams in one sitting and must recieve a pass mark in at least 2 of the exams to pass the exams.

So i think we are ok :)

What exams have you left??:)

Mojo22 wrote: »
    Hi Elmo
    No I dont think we have to pass two. We can pass one two or three. Just read the rules there & i think passing two out of three is for a candidate witting the exam for the first time whos entitled to exwmptions from five or more must sit all remaining exams in one sitting and must recieve a pass mark in at least 2 of the exams to pass the exams.

So i think we are ok :)

What exams have you left??:)

Company and constitutional (and criminal if i have to resit it) the reason im wondering is do you see in the rules where it says First time means the first attempt at the Examination and includes any subsequent attempts when the candidate still has to pass all 8 subjects......

i would so love if i could keep it!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sunnyshinny

Company and constitutional (and criminal if i have to resit it) the reason im wondering is do you see in the rules where it says First time means the first attempt at the Examination and includes any subsequent attempts when the candidate still has to pass all 8 subjects......

Once you have passed three exams (but sat four) on your first sitting you can do them one at a time or any combination you like so the good news is that if you have five exams in the bag already and you got 50 or over in Criminal you only have two exams left!!!!

Once you have passed three exams (but sat four) on your first sitting you can do them one at a time or any combination you like so the good news is that if you have five exams in the bag already and you got 50 or over in Criminal you only have two exams left!!!!

Really? that would be soooo amazing. why are the rules so confusing? so who does that 5 exemption thing apply too..... sorry to be annoying but im going to have a sleepless night before i can talk to laws society tomorrow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 123A

hi elmo law, as long as you got 50
    or more in criminal then you're
    entitled to keep it! The rules are not very
    well written
    or clear! As long as you Have
    secured a pass
    in three
    subjects having sat at least four then for the remaining
    exams you could even sit them one at a time
    if you chose!
    Every pass counts after that regardless of how many you sit together!

123A wrote: »
    hi elmo law, as long as you got 50
    or more in criminal then you're
    entitled to keep it! The rules are not very
    well written
    or clear! As long as you Have
    secured a pass
    in three
    subjects having sat at least four then for the remaining
    exams you could even sit them one at a time
    if you chose!
    Every pass counts after that regardless of how many you sit together!

thank you so much everyone!!!

Has the Company Law 2009 Act changed much of the course?? Im using a manual from 2008.

• Advertisement

The rules are not clear at all but we are ok :)
    I have company left as well and equity & contract.
    When will u know about criminal??:)

If you got 3 or better at your first sitting, you keep 'em. If you are further along than that, you keep whatever you've passed, within the five-year limit. If you only got 1 or 2 in your first sitting, they're no use, you must sit them again. Hope that explains it adequately. The same pro-forma letter goes out to everyone. I passed the two I sat this time and yet they sent me the recheck form and all the blurb. It wouldn't take a genius with mailmerge and a database to tweak the letters to eliminate context-sensitive irrelevancies like that, so you only get what you need to know.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smjsmj

Just received my results as I was away this last week and failed company and equity. so so disheartened now. Starting sitting the exams in march and got 4 out of 4 and failed two in this sitting.
    I was sure i had done really well in company and i got 38%. and 43 in equity.

Did anyone else do worse in company than they thought?

When do you have to apply for the march sitting of the fe1 as i cant see the deadline on the law society website.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

smjsmj wrote: »
    Just received my results as I was away this last week and failed company and equity. so so disheartened now. Starting sitting the exams in march and got 4 out of 4 and failed two in this sitting.
    I was sure i had done really well in company and i got 38%. and 43 in equity.

Did anyone else do worse in company than they thought?

When do you have to apply for the march sitting of the fe1 as i cant see the deadline on the law society website.
    Thanks

before the 3rd of feb!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Is 60 a respectable score in these exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

most definitely! congrats:D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Thanks, noticed a lot of employers ask for specific results in FE1s so wondered if they were judging them on if its a good or bad result

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Sparky29

Advice / my own experience for those thinking of doing 5. I had sat the same 4 of constitutional contract criminal and equity from April 07 to April 09 and had juggled 2pass and 2fail a few times to leave me absolutely devastated. Decided to step back from them for a while before deciding to give them potentially one last try in the sittings just gone as it was something I felt would haunt me forever if you will excuse the dramatics but this time I took on property too as an extra subject. Doing the 5 was absolutely draining and with constitutional paper being a bad one and equity not dealing with areas I had expected or covered I was so drained by the time of the final exam that I only really crammed 5 main topics in property out of desperation and as the paper seems predictable since the new examiner took over.

Thank god I did as those 5 came up almost word for word and I nailed the paper having been certain I was doomed to fail having struggled with the subject as my 5th during the classes.

So the 5th by luck was the paper that got me 3 so don't rule it out necessarily.
    If I had of stuck with the same 4 those 2 bad papers would have sunk me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Fe1erere

Hey everyone, anyone have sample answers, from Independent Colleges/ Griffith for the subjects now that you are finished with them?..also Past papers for EU? (Indepent Colleges) :D:D:D

• Advertisement

50 or better gets you all the respect you need, anything else is overkill. Nikki Lauda used to be the F1 world champion racing driver - I actually saw him win in a Ferrari in Austria many years ago. His motto was 'win, going as slowly as you can'. One hundredth of a second ahead of the next guy is plenty in F1, so be happy with 50s in the FE1s!

JC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement