Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brumbram6

moonbino wrote: »
    If you really want it don't give up. Around this time can be stressful anticipating interviews and PFOs but nothing in life is easy. I know I'm not giving up. I won't be happy doing anything else.

That's wht my heart is telling me (dont give up) and my mind is telling me the opposite. I think you need both - legal experience and luck (my luck isn't my friend rite now). I am sure i'll get my next pfo next week from AC

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

irkalein wrote: »
    That's wht my heart is telling me (dont give up) and my mind is telling me the opposite. I think you need both - legal experience and luck (my luck isn't my friend rite now). I am sure i'll get my next pfo next week from AC

Well at least y'all have got some interviews. I didn't get a single one, which is quite depressing. And well done all who got an interview with AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭moonbino

moonbino wrote: »
    If you really want it don't give up. Around this time can be stressful anticipating interviews and PFOs but nothing in life is easy. I know I'm not giving up. I won't be happy doing anything else.

Being positive can be hard sometimes but let us try and be positive. Do you know when AC will make offers and if it is by post?

As in Monday maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brumbram6

I am pretty sure they'll ring u if they make u an offer, otherwise it's a pfo (a letter by post). I also believe that they will start ringing on monday (they are extremely organised), so we will know next week one way or another.

I am pretty sure they'll ring u if they make u an offer, otherwise it's a pfo (a letter by post). I also believe that they will start ringing on monday (they are extremely organised), so we will know next week one way or another.

pfos can come by email also. My Dillon Eustace and the McCanns one were via email!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Hi all,

I've just been reading the last couple of pages and I'm really not sure where I stand.

I don't have a law degree but my degree and Masters are 2.1.
    I did a distinctly average LC but got what I thought was a cool 9Bs in the JC!

I got my FE1s last week (while working full time) and scored well in most of them.

I don't have any legal experience due to the fact that I'm working full time.

Can anyone offer any advice? i.e. should I do a diploma/masters in law before applying for a tc? Have I any hope without legal experience?
    Any help with any of the above or the name/contact number of someone who could help would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

And by the way, what's a pfo??

sin0city wrote: »
    And by the way, what's a pfo??

It is a rejection letter/email. PFO stands for please **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Atticus Lynch

sin0city wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've just been reading the last couple of pages and I'm really not sure where I stand.

I don't have a law degree but my degree and Masters are 2.1.
    I did a distinctly average LC but got what I thought was a cool 9Bs in the JC!

I got my FE1s last week (while working full time) and scored well in most of them.

I don't have any legal experience due to the fact that I'm working full time.

Can anyone offer any advice? i.e. should I do a diploma/masters in law before applying for a tc? Have I any hope without legal experience?
    Any help with any of the above or the name/contact number of someone who could help would be greatly appreciated.

Training contracts baffle everyone and there would be no universal advice because sometimes people who'd you imagine would be taken on are not and vice verca.

I would recommend trying to a summer internship with one of the firms as this will show you have practical legal experience and the firms often use their internship programmes as a way to source their trainees.

Apart from that with 8 fe1s and a diverse background, the common advice is to just 'be yourself'!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

hey guys

just bought a 2009/2010 griffith college manual off someone today for criminal.

I have 6 fe1s at the moment and have always used independent and passed first time.

just wondering if anyone thinks the 2009/2010 manual is far too out of date? and will i have to try and update it?

any advice would be much appreciated!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 law girl

birdie89 wrote: »
    i know several friends who have obtained TC this year with the big firms and none of them have first class honors.

What did your friends have that made them stand out? Did they have any tips or what did they think got them selected?

It's juts so tough to know what to do in order to make yourself stand out...sigh

law girl wrote: »
    What did your friends have that made them stand out? Did they have any tips or what did they think got them selected?

It's juts so tough to know what to do in order to make yourself stand out...sigh

i also obtained interviews but havnt managed to secure a tc. they didnt have anything spectacular to make them stand out. 2.1s, fe1s and work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mikeclayton

Hi guys, apologies if this has been covered in one of the other 400 odd pages but how long does it take to study for the fe1 exams? I've just been offered a TC and have done none of the exams. Plan is to sit 4 in March 2012. Also I work fulltime in the USA so wouldn't want to have to give up my job before it's absolutely necessary. Any advice you can give me would be really appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

hey guys

just bought a 2009/2010 griffith college manual off someone today for criminal.

I have 6 fe1s at the moment and have always used independent and passed first time.

just wondering if anyone thinks the 2009/2010 manual is far too out of date? and will i have to try and update it?

any advice would be much appreciated!:D

If you know everything in it you will be fine. I just passed criminal, can't think of any major change that would scupper you.

Hi guys, apologies if this has been covered in one of the other 400 odd pages but how long does it take to study for the fe1 exams? I've just been offered a TC and have done none of the exams. Plan is to sit 4 in March 2012. Also I work fulltime in the USA so wouldn't want to have to give up my job before it's absolutely necessary. Any advice you can give me would be really appreciated.

As long as it takes you to get a little above college undergraduate exam standard. If you've never studied law before, and you're of reasonable ability, you would want to be well started by now. If you have already studied and retained a lot of law, maybe three months for four subjects in my humble opinion. That's twelve weeks, ie three weeks nett per subject. Maybe you're particularly good at reading, comprehending and retaining stuff in one go - if so, you'll need less time than I do.

JC

hi guys

i am looking for the most recent criminal and constitutional exam grids and sample answers.....I would be able to swap tort and property sample answer

just pm me if interested!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mariobalotelli

Hi everyone. First time poster, long time observer. This forum has been a great help to me in my FE1 experience thus far.

Just a little consideration though, would it be a good idea to have a seperate thread for each of the 8 subjects, so that if you are looking for info/advice on say, EU, there is a specific thread that exclusively deals with EU and then a specific thread that deals with property, instead of having to rake through tonnnes of posts to find the subjects that are applicable to you?

The current thread could be kept for general discussion, ie results, study techniques, discussions on the merits of IC/ GCD or city colleges etc etc?

Just a thought.

Hi everyone. First time poster, long time observer. This forum has been a great help to me in my FE1 experience thus far.

Just a little consideration though, would it be a good idea to have a seperate thread for each of the 8 subjects, so that if you are looking for info/advice on say, EU, there is a specific thread that exclusively deals with EU and then a specific thread that deals with property, instead of having to rake through tonnnes of posts to find the subjects that are applicable to you?

The current thread could be kept for general discussion, ie results, study techniques, discussions on the merits of IC/ GCD or city colleges etc etc?

Just a thought.

Individual threads might be overkill - if we used the subject field it would be enough I think - put EU in the subject line of a post on the EU exam and people who aren't interested need not read the whole thing.

On the subject of EU - rant - seeing as Merkel and Sarkozy seem hell-bent on drafting a new treaty, doesn't it show the futility of busting our butts on the current set-up. Clearly international events have shown the EU to be a dysfunctional entity, with an inadequate and imminently obsolete legal constitution. As an examination subject for an Irish lawyer, I think planning/environment, family, drink-driving or licensing law would be more practical, relevant and appropriate. By the time we see Blackhall Place, the current EU syllabus will have been replaced - let alone what a student who passed EU three years ago knows.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Just wondering are the 'big' firms just the top 5 or are others 'big' ones too where you'd get a decent training for instance the likes of Maples and Dillon Eustace, do those firms have a good reputation? Cos it seems like every1 is just obsessed with top 5, I'm wondering is there a huge difference between tier 1 and 2. Asking this because I'm considering long term employment prospect at the moment?

Also I think generally ppl who apply for TC all have roughly the same education, academically they are all high achievers. So I think when ur trying to sell urself just take it for granted that every1 there has as good an education as u, so try show them something that will make them remember you, like maybe u collect stamps, or recently climbed Mount Everest!!Do be yourself, I found the interviews where i was myself were the 1s i progressed with, the 1s where i was soo focused on trying to portray a version of me that I thought they wanted, I didn't progress!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Hi all. I'm wondering if someone can clear this up for me. I passed my first set of FE1s in October '09. I finished them in April of this year. I was always under the assumption that the training contract must be secured within 5 years of the 31st of December on the year when you pass your first 3 exams.
    I just went to look to confirm that and I'm having trouble finding where that rule is located. I can see a similar one in relation to passing all of the exams within 5 years.. Where is the one relating to securing the Training Contract?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Lady Law

Hi everyone..Just wondering does anyone know what topics of criminal law came up on the last sitting in oct?

Lady Law wrote: »
    Hi everyone..Just wondering does anyone know what topics of criminal law came up on the last sitting in oct?

send me a pm with your email and I'll send you a pdf scan of the paper.

jc

JCJCJC wrote: »

jc

hi jcjcjc

would you mind sending me a copy of the paper also please?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭cornerforward13

Hey everyone,

Just wondering how long before the exams would you want to have started studying? After getting a mad fit that I might do the FE1's, would I be too late to start doing them in April? Have a law degree so there would be nothing completely new to me. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Horndawg

Hi,

Does anyone have a copy of this paper they could e mail me?

It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

hi jcjcjc

would you mind sending me a copy of the paper also please?

and your email is in my PMs inbox, isn't it, or will you just send me a shaggin' pigeon who knows the way home to you and I'll stuff a copy up his ass?

<joke>
    ;-)

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

Anyone else still waiting on manuals from IC? Ridiculous at this stage they took my payment fast enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lady Law

JCJCJC wrote: »

jc
    Sent you a pm thanks a mill JC :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 coolbananas

Caoileann wrote: »
    Anyone else still waiting on manuals from IC? Ridiculous at this stage they took my payment fast enough!

They usually send an email upon your registration to confirm delivery details but the same thing happened to me for the last sitting, so just send an email or call them and they'll arrange a courier to deliver the manuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Lola73

City Colleges all the way-especially for EU-he's brilliant!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement