Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Horndawg wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have a copy of this paper they could e mail me?

It'd be much appreciated.

Thanks.

http://www.lawsociety.ie/Pages/Exam-Papers/

6 quid each!! Get the examiners comments when there out, find them very useful for when I practice a question (or even just the outline of a question) and then compare to what the examiner was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Hey everyone,

Just wondering how long before the exams would you want to have started studying? After getting a mad fit that I might do the FE1's, would I be too late to start doing them in April? Have a law degree so there would be nothing completely new to me. Thanks

I've done none yet but here's my plan anyways..... Started a few weeks ago and decided to get the manuals and go through the topics in them, i.e. read through them and jot down important notes, then have look at some of the questions and see if I can give an outline of what I'd put in. I'm about halfway through the manuals now after 3 weeks so I'm happy enough, and I've a good idea of what my strong topics are. I'm the same as you in that I've a degree in law, so a slight advantage I suppose........ Plan after Christmas till the exams is to just do nothing but past exam papers, so I'm literally going to be just getting out an old exam paper e.g. Criminal Law October 2008 and pick 5 questions that I feel strong on and then use the book, manual and other sources to answer them best I can and use them as revision sources when the exams are upon me!! In my opinion the best way of studying is to get practising the questions,and even looking at the exam papers you can see patterns and similar questions that come up, but still had to go through the manuals though as I did need some refreshing haha!!

Here's hoping anyways, I picked 4 and would be delighted to even get the 3, but hey if I don't get the 4 this time I can always go at them again next Autumn and with the experience of doing them, and some groundwork already laid. But let's hope I get through them first time round haha.

P.S. it will be my first time doing them in March, does anyone know how many times you can repeat the FE-1's as I know you can only repeat the KI's exams 3 times and if you fail them 3 sittings in a row you can't apply again?? Never heard it was like this with the FE-1's and seemingly you can repeat a subject as many times as you like, anyone have info on repeats??

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Shine Star

Anyone know the topics of last sittings equity paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

chops018 wrote: »

P.S. it will be my first time doing them in March, does anyone know how many times you can repeat the FE-1's as I know you can only repeat the KI's exams 3 times and if you fail them 3 sittings in a row you can't apply again?? Never heard it was like this with the FE-1's and seemingly you can repeat a subject as many times as you like, anyone have info on repeats??

In summary, you must pass all within five years of 31st Dec of the year you get your first three, that gives you 5.5 years if you pass the first three in a Spring sitting. It's all set out in exhaustive detail on the Lawsoc's website and you'll be sent a hard copy of the rules when you apply for the exams.

JC

The TEU and LTEU version of Blackstones Treaties, ie the 2010-2011 edition, isn't in the shops in Limerick. Has anybody bought one in a bricks-and-mortar store in Ireland recently? Amazon.co.uk has it but I'd prefer to get it locally and quicker if possible.

JC

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JCJCJC wrote: »
    The TEU and LTEU version of Blackstones Treaties, ie the 2010-2011 edition, isn't in the shops in Limerick. Has anybody bought one in a bricks-and-mortar store in Ireland recently? Amazon.co.uk has it but I'd prefer to get it locally and quicker if possible.

JC
    The bookshop in UL should have some. I've picked it up in the UCG bookshop. Just over 20 quid, I think.

Robbo wrote: »
    The bookshop in UL should have some. I've picked it up in the UCG bookshop. Just over 20 quid, I think.

Been there - they haven't it and UL have produced their own. I don't think the lawsoc would approve the UL version, so I've ordered the 2010-2011 Blackstones from Amazon.co.uk, about STG18.00.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

JC
    Worst case, shops in Dublin should definitely have it, try Hodges & Figgis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 TC_NOW_PLEASE

Shine Star wrote: »
    Anyone know the topics of last sittings equity paper?
    There was:

Proprietary Estoppel
    Mandatory Interlocutory Injunctions
    Note Qst (Doctrine of Satisfaction, Charitable Trusts for the relief of poverty, and Rectification)
    Investments and Duty to invest
    Specific Performance
    Imperfect gifts
    Undue Influence

Not sure what question 5 was??

Worst case, shops in Dublin should definitely have it, try Hodges & Figgis.

I should have said 2011-2012 in my last post. It has come from Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

I'm in the final year of an LLB and considering taking company equity and land in Spring.

Would anyone have copies of grids/hints/recommendations?
    Only have time to do the manuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭moonbino

rbag wrote: »
    I'm in the final year of an LLB and considering taking company equity and land in Spring.

Would anyone have copies of grids/hints/recommendations?
    Only have time to do the manuals.

Do you have another degree because I think you need to complete the degree before you can sit the FE1s. If I am right then you would be sitting them in Autumn. Also the minimum subjects for first sitting is 4 so you need a 4th subject.
    All the best :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Hi all,

anyone know anyone in Dublin who can help prepare your C.V., before applying for a TC. Preferably someone with experience in the bigger firms??
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hero82

I know the law society are having a cv preparation day i think its around the 26th January but best to check that out.!Thinking of doing it myself and it costs around 35 euro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

hero82 wrote: »
    I know the law society are having a cv preparation day i think its around the 26th January but best to check that out.!Thinking of doing it myself and it costs around 35 euro!

Do you think it is worth it? As in, would a CV workshop in college be just as good?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 hero82

Do you think it is worth it? As in, would a CV workshop in college be just as good?

Have no idea.I dont no anyone that has gone to it but im going to give it a try anyways as my C.V definitely needs to be brushed up so I need any help i can get!!had you any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Hi all,

would anyone have any interview tips or techniques they might like to share for an interview with a local firm for an apprenticeship?

Dont know where to begin!

Thanks in advance..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PeaSoup

Hi there,

Does anyone have booklets/exam papers/any help at all for all of the exams? A bit lost at the moment! This thread has been a godsend.

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

Does anyone have a set of constitutional pastpapers and examiners reports they could send me?

willing to swap sample answers for property, tort, criminal and constitutional!

just PM if u can help me! Thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 law11

Apologies if this has been asked already but has anyone heard anything about when the recheck results are due?
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

moonbino wrote: »
    Do you have another degree because I think you need to complete the degree before you can sit the FE1s. If I am right then you would be sitting them in Autumn. Also the minimum subjects for first sitting is 4 so you need a 4th subject.

Many LLB courses are post-grad so the person may have a primary degree. The alternative that always seems to get overlooked is to do the preliminary examination, with that passed you can sit the FE1s without a degree. To my mind, every law undergrad should go that route and get the FE1s well underway before graduating. You could do your college summer exams, revise and do some FE1s the following autumn without disrupting college studies, and you could use the college library and databases for the summer. Depending on your college subjects, you could finish college and finish the FE1s the same year.
    Given that summer employment for students in Ireland is now nearly impossible to find, spending the summer studying for something constructive isn't a bad prospect.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭moonbino

moonbino wrote: »

Many LLB courses are post-grad so the person may have a primary degree. The alternative that always seems to get overlooked is to do the preliminary examination, with that passed you can sit the FE1s without a degree. To my mind, every law undergrad should go that route and get the FE1s well underway before graduating. You could do your college summer exams, revise and do some FE1s the following autumn without disrupting college studies, and you could use the college library and databases for the summer. Depending on your college subjects, you could finish college and finish the FE1s the same year.
    Given that summer employment for students in Ireland is now nearly impossible to find, spending the summer studying for something constructive isn't a bad prospect.

JC

JC I don't think a Bachelors degree can be postgraduate. The OP said LLB not postgraduate diploma, no? I think the OP probably has another first degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

JC

I know this is a bit late for your purposes JC but it may be of use to others; I found the 2011-2012 edition of this today in Liam Ruiseal's in Cork for €17.99.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 parripassu

Hi,

Would anyone please be able to email me a Constitutional, EU and Criminal Grid. In exchange I can offer the company, property, contract and Equity grids and some sample answers. My grids and sample answers are from October 2011.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Amy.M

i can mail you grids for sample answers and grids. PM me your email address and i can do it now! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

does anyone have a griffith college criminal grid (most recent) in exchange i can give a 20 page word document of independent colleges sample answers for criminal! pm me

Can anyone send me some Griffith Constitutional Sample answers> In exchange I can offer sample answers lots of sample answers for Company, EU and property.
    I have some other answers for contract too but not as much as the others.

Could anyone post up what came up in the last two papers or even just in the October 2011 paper.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ducky2011

Can anybody post up the topics that came up for these exams in the October sitting? Thanks in advance if someone can!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Hi, taking my first 'set' of exams this spring. I had intended just to take three to ease in, EU, contract and constitutional but I realise you must sit 4. Is it possible to sit 3 and apply for a fourth? I would have confidence with my initial choices and I would have no problem paying for a fourth choice but just to fulfill the criterion? Say if I passed the three and just 'sat' the fourth, is this legitimate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement