Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    Hi, taking my first 'set' of exams this spring. I had intended just to take three to ease in, EU, contract and constitutional but I realise you must sit 4. Is it possible to sit 3 and apply for a fourth? I would have confidence with my initial choices and I would have no problem paying for a fourth choice but just to fulfill the criterion? Say if I passed the three and just 'sat' the fourth, is this legitimate?

Yup, I did it and I passed my three. You will have to sit in on your fourth exam for 40 minutes for it to count though, otherwise you won't be regarded as having sat four exams and you will fail all as a consequence.

You are taking a risk in that if you fail one of the three that you're focusing on then you'll have to sit all of them again. It might be an idea to take one of the easier ones as a fourth and actually give it a proper go but focus on it somewhat less. If you are not working between now and the exams and you study well then you definitely have the time to pass all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭rbag

Hi, taking my first 'set' of exams this spring. I had intended just to take three to ease in, EU, contract and constitutional but I realise you must sit 4. Is it possible to sit 3 and apply for a fourth? I would have confidence with my initial choices and I would have no problem paying for a fourth choice but just to fulfill the criterion? Say if I passed the three and just 'sat' the fourth, is this legitimate?

I'm planning on doing the same - I'm going to pay for four, sit three and leave the last exam 45 minutes after it commences.

I'm finishing up my LLB and taking my finals and realistically only have time to study three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Cheers for confirming that. Ive sat all ther rest of the exams in degree form, except for Equity when I was in college. Completely different scenario, but out of the rest of the exams would anyone give advice as to which is the most passable, given 2 and half months study? Company/tort/property or criminal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Cheers for confirming that. Ive sat all ther rest of the exams in degree form, except for Equity when I was in college. Completely different scenario, but out of the rest of the exams would anyone give advice as to which is the most passable, given 2 and half months study? Company/tort/property or criminal?
    Just to make it clear, you have to actually sit all the exams, ie physically attend the exams, but for your fourth you can just show up, do nothing and leave after the minimum time.

Regarding the easiest of those four exams, property is the easiest, by a good margin I'd say. I haven't actually sat company or tort but property is widely considered to be the most straightforward.

Just to make it clear, you have to actually sit all the exams, ie physically attend the exams, but for your fourth you can just do nothing and leave after the minimum time.

Regarding the easiest of those four exams, property is the easiest, by a good margin I'd say. I haven't actually sat company or tort but property is widely considered to be the most straightforward.

I thought criminal was manageable too, it was certainly one of the shorter ones anyway. Although if you pick criminal then you'll have three exams in three consecutive days during the exams, which wouldn't be fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭moonbino

Hi guys, hope the studying is going well. Can anyone who sat the exams before give me their opinion please? I am doing tort, property, criminal and equity. I have read through all but equity. Will finish equity soon. The thing is I am on a break at the moment, very busy with something else, and after I finish reading through equity I will have exactly 8 weeks to know it all. I have retained some of what I have read, mostly principles though and some cases. When I resume studying I intend to do past papers for those 8 weeks. Is that enough time for 4 subjects doing almost the full syllabus for each? I can study only at nights for 5 hours. Do I have enough time to do it all? I am very worried. The FE1s are so scary! :-(

That 5 hours a day isn't always used productively what with distractions and tiredness. So I don't really get 5 hours of knowledge in my head everyday. That is probably why I am worried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 parripassu

Can someone tell me in relation to the role of the European Parliament if the 'consultation procedure' and 'co-decision' legislative procedure are still relevant after the Lisbon Treaty?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lady Law

Hi all!
    If anyone has a copy of the property law paper from the last sitting in october and would like to send it to me I would be very grateful? Finding this area tough going to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garethj

Hey Guys

Just wondering if anyone has any sample answers for Constitutional, Company or EU please?

I would be able to send on notes on any topic or sample answers for Tort, Contract and Property in return. Thanks

I thought criminal was manageable too, it was certainly one of the shorter ones anyway. Although if you pick criminal then you'll have three exams in three consecutive days during the exams, which wouldn't be fun.

Criminal was weird for me, I found it very easy to study, then I found the exam extremely difficult and worried that I might have failed, and it turned out to be one of my best grades. So I guess it was easy, in hindsight, but that exam did shake me.

Although I guess if you study the hell out of practice and procedure you should be fine, if Oct 2011 is anything to go by at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JLex

Hello.
    where can i buy ( in Dublin ) the Constitution of Ireland and Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 ??? checked Easons and H&H no luck!

juliach wrote: »
    Hello.
    where can i buy ( in Dublin ) the Constitution of Ireland and Sale of Goods Act 1893 and the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 ??? checked Easons and H&H no luck!

Government Publications Office on Molesworth Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Northern Child

Hi all,

Is anyone on here taking 5 or 6 fe1s? I was thinking of taking 6 but thinking of revising down. I am not working between now and the tests. Also, I find myself being able to say for example understand principles, but when it comes to a question, I cant recall case names.

Have been studying on and off since before xmas but trying to get going properly now.

Also,
    How important are case names and statute provisions for fe1s? Never sat them before so pretty daunted by the prospect. Thanks for your help in advance.

Anyone have up to date grids for Constitutional, Tort and Property? I can swap grids for Company, EU, equity, contract and criminal, although the last three are only updated to the spring 2010 sitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

Hey.. Does anyone have any idea of when the recheck results are out? I tried logging into the Lawsoc website, and an error message comes up on the results page..hoping this means they will be out soon? Time is ticking on deciding how many I need to start studying for..

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JLex

Thank you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 OJS

Hey.. Does anyone have any idea of when the recheck results are out? I tried logging into the Lawsoc website, and an error message comes up on the results page..hoping this means they will be out soon? Time is ticking on deciding how many I need to start studying for..

23rd of Jan which is a monday! Id say they will be available online on fri 20th.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Lady Law

Is this the only place where you can buy the permitted reading material?

Lady Law wrote: »
    Is this the only place where you can buy the permitted reading material?

No, you can get them in some bookshops. If you're Cork based like me, for example, you can get these from Liam Ruiseal's. If they don't have what you want in stock then they'll order it in for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sally208

Hi,

I am wondering would anyone have the exam grids and sample answers for company law and property. I have about twenty sample answers for equity that ill swap. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Hi all,

Having a bit of trouble with a contract q - would really appreciate it if anyone can help! It's october 2011 q2 - I remember messing it up in the exam & it still confuses me know!

Would Charles be liable to Sinead due to the agency provision? I didn't think so as the parent contract didn't express allow for third party protection, but I'm a little confused now as most of the agency exceptions seem to discuss limitation clauses, which aren't relevant here. Is there any other exception sinead can avail of (e.g. could she sue him under tort?) or is the question getting at the fact that Charles is only liable to Pat for breach of contract and Pat is in turn liable to sinead, & that's the only way she could recover due to the bar of privity from suing Charles directly??

Apologies if this makes no sense, this q is wrecking my head any advice would be MUCH appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bern8

Hey all,

Does anyone have Griffith sample answers for Constitutional? Can swap for sample answers in Contract, Company, Criminal, Property, Equity or EU. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

yes, it's legit and lots of people have done it, including me, to get that all-important first three, I only got two at the first shot. You must, however, show up, sit down and sign for the fourth exam - ie 'sit' the exam, even if you are going to stand up and leave after the minimum period. It's a bit soul-destroying, particularly if you have to travel a long way to the Red Cow, but it's necessary if you need to concentrate your study on three to get started on the greasy pole.
    If I was to suggest a fourth that you might still have a go at, it would be criminal - I found it the easiest to pass so far, but we're all different so you might find something else easier.

JC

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Hi all,

Is anyone on here taking 5 or 6 fe1s? I was thinking of taking 6 but thinking of revising down. I am not working between now and the tests. Also, I find myself being able to say for example understand principles, but when it comes to a question, I cant recall case names.

Have been studying on and off since before xmas but trying to get going properly now.

Also,
    How important are case names and statute provisions for fe1s? Never sat them before so pretty daunted by the prospect. Thanks for your help in advance.

Well, people have been known to sit all eight and get all eight. It depends on how exam-sharp you currently are. If you've just graduated with a good law degree and you did FE1-relevant subjects recently, then by all means have a go at a lot of exams. However, since you say you are having bother with case names, I'm inclined to think somehow that's not you.
    Statute law matters a lot in some subjects, less in others. Criminal is the one where you really need to know the Acts in pretty good detail, but they're not huge and they can be learnt. I did the GCD one-day intensive revision course, seven years after I did criminal in college. In the exam I did EXACTLY what GCD's guy said to do and I passed. I wouldn't have passed without his advice. He said for every single offence you can identify in the fact patterns in the problem q's, state the mens rea, the actus reus of the offence and the statutory provision it contravenes. Get that written down at all costs, then draw your conclusions, make your recommendations or whatever you are asked to do. It shows a knowledge of criminal law principles, a logical approach, and a knowledge of the statutes.
    There's a bit of statute law in tort, not a lot, Occupier's Liability, Defective Products, that sort of thing.
    Property law - huge new Act, and the law on treasure trove.

Case-law is really important in common-law areas like contract, tort and equity. You have to find a way to learn it that suits you personally. If necessary, get professional help in developing a learning skill, but to start with, try Tony Buzan's books.
    Nemonics, spider-diagrams, silly rhymes, diagrams - anything that will fix the name in your head and associate it with the concept. For example, if you take Rylands v Fletcher in tort law, do a silly diagram of a quarry full of water with a mine under it. Show the water bursting through, flooding the mine. Draw in little stick-figure men, label one 'Rylands' and the other 'Fletcher'. Something as silly as that moves the information to the visual part of your brain and improves the chances that you'll recall it.
    I had one for equity that is still in my head. Visualise a big aeroplane flying over a stately home, dropping bags of flour on two large guys who are sumo-wrestling inside it.

Plane - Serge Caudron v Air Zaire
    Flour - Fleming v Ranks Ireland
    Stately home - Powerscourt v Gallagher
    Wrestlers - WH v BH (initials of two large neighbours of mine)

So there you have the early Irish caselaw on early development of Mareva injunctions here, and it's 12 months since I looked at it in a book. There are other examples, eg a Limerick to remember line-of-sight for witnessing a will:

there was an old man called Mulhall
    He left his poor widow feic-all
    She cried 'on the night -
    there was no line of sight'
    So she took the whole lot, after all.

That gives you Mulhall v Mulhall, classic case on witnessing, witnesses were in the next room, and again, it's years since I studied it.

You need to come up with strategies that suit you - that's what suits me, but you do need cases, that's the bottom line.

When you get in to the exam, as soon as you get an answer book designate the back page as a doodle-sheet or rough work. Start listing the cases in your head by topic. Even if you don't get a question, put down the bones of what you have prepared, it'll show the examiner the breadth of what you've done, and MIGHT get a 49 up one..

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone had the most recent constitutional law exam grid and sample answers? in exchange i can offer sample answers from griff/independent in: criminal, , tort and property.

just pm me for details!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shoon1234

Hi,

I'm looking for sample answers for Company. I can offer EU sample answers or last autumns Company paper in exchange. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rara22

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me what came up in the most recent sitting of Company?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jenspondolik

Hi

I'm just about to start studying for 4 fe1s in March and I work full time. I've studied the subjects before as part of my undergrad but it was a while ago (2006 I graduated) - will I have enough time if I get stuck in?

I'd really appreciate any advice at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Hi

I'm just about to start studying for 4 fe1s in March and I work full time. I've studied the subjects before as part of my undergrad but it was a while ago (2006 I graduated) - will I have enough time if I get stuck in?

I passed my first three starting about three weeks into Jan and I worked part time.. I think you should def be able to manage three (depending on which three though - EU and Constitutional have quite big work loads)

Also bear in mind you have to actually SIT four to begin with - so you can just sit in your 4th exam for 30mins or so and leave.

To sum up - yes you should be able for it but if it were me I'd probably concentrate on three exams to avoid the disappointment of getting two and them not counting..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭moonbino

Amre17 wrote: »
    Hi

I passed my first three starting about three weeks into Jan and I worked part time.. I think you should def be able to manage three (depending on which three though - EU and Constitutional have quite big work loads)

Also bear in mind you have to actually SIT four to begin with - so you can just sit in your 4th exam for 30mins or so and leave.

To sum up - yes you should be able for it but if it were me I'd probably concentrate on three exams to avoid the disappointment of getting two and them not counting..

Amre17 I am in a similar position so thanks for responding. I would prefer to do all 4 so do you think Equity, Property, Criminal and Tort are "light enough" or am I crazy not to follow your advice? I have read through the manuals and will start past papers next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement