Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Hi there,

Looking for the most recent contract & criminal exam grids from independent - have exam grids & sample answers for all other subjects to swap so please PM me if you happen to have these grids!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jenspondolik

Thanks a mil Amre17, Im thinking of doing criminal property equity and contract. Im managing a store at the moment so cant cut hours back but if i dont start FE1s now ill never do it so ill only have 2days per week and nights to do it up to March.

I was thinking of doing the three but sitting 4 alright - i just hate the thoughts of leaving an exam!

Thanks for the advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Anyone hazard a guess of the dates of the exams? Im sitting EU, constitutional and Contract and one more. Also, what time do the exams start? 9? 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    Anyone hazard a guess of the dates of the exams? Im sitting EU, constitutional and Contract and one more. Also, what time do the exams start? 9? 10?

Exams are 9.30 to 12.30, be there 30mins early. Const is 22nd march, Eu 27th and Contract 29th. the full time table is on the application for, which needs to be in by the third of Feb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Thats a great help! Thanks for that! Timetable seems nice also, no consecutive days! Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MyFairLady

Hi

Looking for the most recent exam grids and sample answers from independent for Constitutional, EU, Tort and Property.
    Can't swap for other subjects but willing to pay.
    Please PM me if you're interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭GusherING

Hoping to do the FE1s for the first time in March. Can anyone clarify if you are allowed bring in unmarked copies of certain relevant legislation into the exam hall. I was allowed do this is in some exams during my law course in college, but I'm curious how the Law Society operates?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Quadrangle

Hi,

looking for the last 3 EU papers Oct 2010, March and Oct 2011 i can offer criminal sample answers in return!PM me. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ruanxxx

Hi there. Would you be interested in correcting essay,s that I am doing for the fe1,s?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ruanxxx

Hi there. Anyone interested in correcting sample essays for the fe1,s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gudbuzz

Hi there... Am just wondering where everyone gets their sample answers from? I see a lot are available if you are willing to swap but i dont have any to swap!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gudbuzz

Hi there... Am just wondering where everyone gets their sample answers from? I see a lot are available if you are willing to swap but i dont have any to swap!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

gudbuzz wrote: »

everyone gets them from the colleges which provide prep courses for the fe1s. the sample answers are part of the notes, manuals etc that they give u!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 copious

hi there, not sure am i in the right posting section...im looking to do Equity in the next sitting but read somewhere that apart from the stable repeating favourites eg injunctions, the examiner tends not to ask what she asked in the previous sitting...just wondering if anyone could shed some light on this and might be able to tell me what came up in the last sitting? thanks a million

Hi all,

Quick question...I received one of the premier exam techniques brochures & they're recommending 20 mins writing per question in the FE1s as ideal..but the prep courses I've been to recommend 30/35 mins per question! What are people's views on this? Doing a plan before answering the q is obviously important but I think leaving only 20 mins to write each answer hardly leaves time to cover all the issues in FE1 problem questions!

Be really interested to hear people's views on this as time management was a major issue for me & so many people I know in the last set of FE1s...hard to know what the optimum timing is to allow you answer 5 questions well!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

20 mins me hoop!to deal with a question comprehensively you really need to give it a half an hour imo.

I agree!! So that leaves roughly 5 mins to read paper & decide qs & 5 mins planning per q...do people agree that seems a good estimate to aim for? so easy to get carried away with the plan I find, but better to just get writing especially in the fe1s - lost so much time planning out the answers last time although I do find it relaxes you in the exam to know you have all your points ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garethj

First of all is this legislation really essential for the exam? The only reason I ask is that for Contract I didn't look at the legislation once. Of course this is a different subject so only asking!

Can anybody shed some light on where to get the student edition of this please?

Based in Cork but the Shelf, L&K and Liam Ruiseal's do not have it.
    Alternatively if someone has their copy from the last sitting please PM me.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Just wondering what people think about GCD vs Independent manuals? Last time around I used Independent and they served me well, now it seems that more GCD manuals are for sale than Independent manuals. Are GCD manuals as good as Independent ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happy_man2010

Hi all,

Thinking of signing up for an online prep course for Equity. It's the only exam I have left to sit and want to ensure that I pass it this time. Has anyone any recommendations which course is the best? Would be interested to hear from people currently doing a prep course before I fork out the cash for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Hi all,

Thinking of signing up for an online prep course for Equity. It's the only exam I have left to sit and want to ensure that I pass it this time. Has anyone any recommendations which course is the best? Would be interested to hear from people currently doing a prep course before I fork out the cash for it.[/Quote

Ciaran Patton who teaches equity and criminal in Independent College is fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Rechecks are out friday ................... any ideas on Criminal law recheck - i need 8% .......... i must be dreaming

Also just to mention ive been really happy with Griffith College... i think when it comes to something as tricky as this its a
    good idea to go with those who have the most experience... only my opinion and im sure the other Colleges are great too

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Averagejoemack

colonel1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thinking of signing up for an online prep course for Equity. It's the only exam I have left to sit and want to ensure that I pass it this time. Has anyone any recommendations which course is the best? Would be interested to hear from people currently doing a prep course before I fork out the cash for it.[/Quote

Ciaran Patton who teaches equity and criminal in Independent College is fantastic!

Independent colleges one is very good... its a short enough subject tho so you might be able to get through it with just a manual. You'd be doing well to find a better teacher than Ciaran Patton in my opinion! Having said that i havent tried any of the other courses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SeaFlat

Hey,

If anyone has essays/notes on the following property topics could you please pm me?

-Treasure trove / finding
    - Residential Tenancy Act 04
    - Family property

I have loads of typed notes/essays on property, criminal and contract I would be happy to share.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Would anyone have the 2010 (October) and 2011 (March) papers for Property and Contract.

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sally208

Hi, does anyone have any company sample answers? I have equity and property sample answers and exam grids that i will swap.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smjsmj

Hi hope the studying going well for every one so far.
    I am repeating Company and equity. any suggestions how best to prepare for company. i thought i had done well in the last sitting and got 38%.
    i have just secured a training contract for myself and really need to pass it this time round.

also, does anyone have information on getting grants for the ppc 1 and 2 courses?n and how much roughly do people get?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shoon1234

smjsmj wrote: »
    Hi hope the studying going well for every one so far.
    I am repeating Company and equity. any suggestions how best to prepare for company. i thought i had done well in the last sitting and got 38%.
    i have just secured a training contract for myself and really need to pass it this time round.

also, does anyone have information on getting grants for the ppc 1 and 2 courses?n and how much roughly do people get?

I have similar problems with it. I've failed it twice in a row having been sure that I'd passed it, got 36% last time out. I just went through the examiners report for that sitting and it looks like I was fairly spot on in all five answers. It's really frustrating as I'm at the end of the exams.

It's possible that I gave too much paper time to case references as opposed to legislative references or that the examiner simply couldn't read my writing. Would be great to get some more feedback off people.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

shoon1234 wrote: »
    I have similar problems with it. I've failed it twice in a row having been sure that I'd passed it, got 36% last time out. I just went through the examiners report for that sitting and it looks like I was fairly spot on in all five answers. It's really frustrating as I'm at the end of the exams.

It's possible that I gave too much paper time to case references as opposed to legislative references or that the examiner simply couldn't read my writing. Would be great to get some more feedback off people.

This is just my experience of the Company law paper. I used griffith manual and past exam answers as the sole materials for revision- I paid to do online course but I just felt like the lectures didn't really add anything- the manual was perfectly sufficient. I picked out about 10 (what i perceived to be) banker topics and learned these inside out, and I had about three more back ups. I was not at all happy coming out of the exam because I could only answer 3 questions from what I had learned, one question on liquidation using the legislation only and another from memory from my company law module at undergrad, and I ran out of time. So bearing in mind the pass rate for company is quite low, and it was my first time sitting the exams, I was feeling pretty bad about it, convinced I had failed and I have never ever said that without actually thinking it. But as with all things FE1, I actually ended up getting 63 and it was my best result in all exams despite me thinking that I had done miles better in other subjects.

As for the cases v legislation question- i think this just largely depends on what topic you are covering. In the exam I did the ultra vires q which was mostly cases, retention of title but I did include as much as i could about consequences of non registration of a charge so that was definitely a mixed bag of caselaw and statute, my liquidation q all legislation and one single case, my directors q was on equitable duties i think so all cases and my SLP was pretty much all cases too. I think it largely depends on the topic, and I know that probably isn't very helpful!

If offering advice I would just say:

pick 10 banker topics which you really feel might come up- for example, if I was sitting company in March again I would know examinership inside out. Have a few more bulletpointed.

Cover everything to do with directors and everything to do with corporate borrowings (it was only by fluke that I read Retention of Title and that's what came up in the actual exam). I think it is kinda foolhardy to let anything at all out, even though it's not 100% certain, I would say it's 90% likely some sort of question on both of these will appear. Take chances or cut corners with other areas if you must, but not these two imo.

Definitely bring the legislation in with you- I answered a question on liquidation using the legislation alone and one single case and it evidently was sufficient for the examiner. I know it's expensive, but i think it will bring peace of mind on the day, beg, borrow or steal it if you have to.

If you dont have time to practice past exam questions, just do a structure on a single A4 page for every topic you have covered, in the exam i find it far easier to recall that single page structure than it is to try to visualise pages of information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

colonel1 wrote: »

Independent colleges one is very good... its a short enough subject tho so you might be able to get through it with just a manual. You'd be doing well to find a better teacher than Ciaran Patton in my opinion! Having said that i havent tried any of the other courses!

I'm going off the 2011 IC manual. It seems good but there are parts that seem bare and I'm wondering if stuff was left out or is that all I need to know in certain areas. From your experience Averagejoemack (or indeed anyone else who's done the Ciaran Patton's course), does Ciaran give much extra detail in addition to the manual or does the manual cover the bulk of it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement