Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Fe1erere

Hey all, was flicking through old post re property Law, and i noticed the introduction of the CIVIL PARTNERSHIP AND CERTAIN RIGHTS AND
    OBLIGATIONS OF COHABITANTS ACT 2010, I have a manual from 2010 (Independent Colleges) and not a sign of it! Argh! Anyone have Recent notes on it? i have sample answers for all subjects and exams grids i can swap!! Help PLEASE!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 t2340

Anyone know if the appeal results might be out earlier given that the results were posted up the day before for the October results? Oh the nerves!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cooper10

garethj wrote: »
    First of all is this legislation really essential for the exam? The only reason I ask is that for Contract I didn't look at the legislation once. Of course this is a different subject so only asking!

Can anybody shed some light on where to get the student edition of this please?

Based in Cork but the Shelf, L&K and Liam Ruiseal's do not have it.
    Alternatively if someone has their copy from the last sitting please PM me.

Many thanks

Hey,

I sat Company last time around and didn't bother with the legislation. Found it fine. Obviously I knew the important sections going into the exam for each topic I had learned and to be honest I always think having legislation is more of a distraction than anything else. I only used it for EU and even then it was of limited use. I'd always go with learning section numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

I am looking to get my hand on some sample 'answers' for eu, constitutional or contract? First sitting so no swap available but i am willing to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

t2340 wrote: »
    Anyone know if the appeal results might be out earlier given that the results were posted up the day before for the October results? Oh the nerves!

No sign yet, I keep checking every two minutes! Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

i hate waiting...

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

poxy tort!!
    43 up to 47.
    Have i mentioned how much i hate these exams!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kelmchugh

poxy criminal! recheck results from 46% up to.....46% starting to feel so disillusioned with these exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

kelmchugh wrote: »
    poxy criminal! recheck results from 46% up to.....46% starting to feel so disillusioned with these exams.

I feel your pain, no change from 47 in property :( losing the will to continue big time...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

When do we need to register for the next set?

boooooooo to rechecks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 cooper10

Hey all,

Have to re-sit Constitutional so wondering does anyone have sample answers to swop? I have sample answers and past papers for all other subjects (except for EU) so would really appreciate if anyone can help?

Also are the intensive revision courses of any use considering that they're fairly close to the exam? Do they give sample answers at those sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 copious

hi! I have Property sample answer sets from all questions on the October 2005 - October 2010 papers, for each September and March sitting (11 sets in total), the 2010 Examiners Report and a Griffith College Exam Grid up to (and including) 2010.

Also have quick revise notes for each topic, v handy

Have all in electronic form

wondering would anybody have similar stuff from Equity, Company or Contract they would have an interest in swapping with me?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Fe1erere

Anyone know how relevant this act is???? (to the exam)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

banterful wrote: »
    Hi all,

Quick question...I received one of the premier exam techniques brochures & they're recommending 20 mins writing per question in the FE1s as ideal..but the prep courses I've been to recommend 30/35 mins per question! What are people's views on this? Doing a plan before answering the q is obviously important but I think leaving only 20 mins to write each answer hardly leaves time to cover all the issues in FE1 problem questions!

Be really interested to hear people's views on this as time management was a major issue for me & so many people I know in the last set of FE1s...hard to know what the optimum timing is to allow you answer 5 questions well!

Bonkers advice. 20 x 5 = 100 minutes. You're in there for 180, WTF are you going to do with the rest of the time? Maybe a top barrister would get a concise totally-reduced answer to the question put down in 20, but most of us aren't in that league. When I was an undergrad in UL, Prof McCutcheon could do that - he'd have sample answers to exam questions that were about 2/3rds of a page and he'd have it all in there, but that's a rare talent.

JC

cooper10 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Have to re-sit Constitutional so wondering does anyone have sample answers to swop? I have sample answers and past papers for all other subjects (except for EU) so would really appreciate if anyone can help?

Also are the intensive revision courses of any use considering that they're fairly close to the exam? Do they give sample answers at those sessions?

The revision courses are ok provided you have a bit done. You should ask the college what materials they'll issue, it changes from time to time.

Dr E. Carolan gave a public lecture in TCD last March, a few weeks before the exams, on the top 20 constitutional cases in 2010, and he gave a handout. One of the cases he covered in the handout came up in the case-note question in October, so if you'd read and retained the handout, you'd know exactly what he thought was important in the case. If he does a similar lecture this year you should think about going to it.
    I passed Const at the second attempt last October. I found I really had to discipline myself to stick to constitutional issues only, keep repeating that to yourself, it's a constitutional law exam, not housing/planning/employment/criminal or anything else - stay on the wee blue book at all costs.

JC

My approach to timing has always been.

(1) 5 minutes to briefly read the paper

(2) 35 mins writing per question

5 + 175 = 180

I passed property and tort last time round and left 35 minuites early. I failed criminal and stayed the full time... so timing isnt everything!
    If you know each of your 5 questions 100% i think 20mins is technically fine. But 35 mins is the what i aim for.

What a pain in the a** to resit exams that you have already passed.... the pass three attempt 4 rule is frustrating!!

smjsmj wrote: »

also, does anyone have information on getting grants for the ppc 1 and 2 courses?n and how much roughly do people get?

I'm reposting your message because this is intriguing. I never heard of grants for PPC 1& 2. Say some more? From where in heaven does this manna fall?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Thanks JC, have to agree with you I thought it was a bit mad myself!

Ned_Led, I agree 35 mins per question seems about right, but how much time to plan out of your 35 minutes? I think I'm going to aim for 5/6 mins planning for q to leave almost half an hour writing time per question...also, really feel your pain re the pass 3/
    attempt 4 rule it really is a killer...was brought up in one in rechecks yesterday so thankfully don't have to sit those 3 again now...but that's after 6 weeks of studying those bloody subjects thinking I'd been sitting them all again!!!!

Can I ask people's opinions on this - having just found out in rechecks yesterday that I did actually get the first 3, what would people recommend sitting with 2 months to go? I'm def sitting constitutional as have all my notes etc done for that but thinking of taking on either one or two more..almost definitely property & either tort/eu or company - any pointers on which of these latter 3 would be the easiest to take up having not studied any of them in detail before? Half tempted to take up property & EU as would be so nice to have EU out of the way...is there enough time to get through the syllabus though? not working til the exams. would really appreciate anyone's input on this!

Thanks JC, have to agree with you I thought it was a bit mad myself!

Ned_Led, I agree 35 mins per question seems about right, but how much time to plan out of your 35 minutes? I think I'm going to aim for 5/6 mins planning for q to leave almost half an hour writing time per question...also, really feel your pain re the pass 3/
    attempt 4 rule it really is a killer...was brought up in one in rechecks yesterday so thankfully don't have to sit those 3 again now...but that's after 6 weeks of studying those bloody subjects thinking I'd been sitting them all again!!!!

Can I ask people's opinions on this - having just found out in rechecks yesterday that I did actually get the first 3, what would people recommend sitting with 2 months to go? I'm def sitting constitutional as have all my notes etc done for that but thinking of taking on either one or two more..almost definitely property & either tort/eu or company - any pointers on which of these latter 3 would be the easiest to take up having not studied any of them in detail before? Half tempted to take up property & EU as would be so nice to have EU out of the way...is there enough time to get through the syllabus though? not working til the exams. would really appreciate anyone's input on this!

If you think you'll get EU at this juncture I'd say go for it, and get that offspring of unmarried parents out of the way before Angela Merkel launches a new treaty and makes Lisbon obsolete.

Ha! maybe you're right...have to have them all finished by the end of the year anyway so just wondering whether it's better to make sure of constitutional & property this time and leave eu, company and tort for the october sitting OR taking const, property & one other in march! of those 3 which would people take as a third subject for march, keeping in mind I haven't studied any of them in any detail before!! would love to get EU out of the way but don' want to jeopardise the other 2 I want to make sure of because of it, so just wondering would company or tort be easier to get through in the amount of time I have...decisions decisions!!

• Advertisement

Ha! maybe you're right...have to have them all finished by the end of the year anyway so just wondering whether it's better to make sure of constitutional & property this time and leave eu, company and tort for the october sitting OR taking const, property & one other in march! of those 3 which would people take as a third subject for march, keeping in mind I haven't studied any of them in any detail before!! would love to get EU out of the way but don' want to jeopardise the other 2 I want to make sure of because of it, so just wondering would company or tort be easier to get through in the amount of time I have...decisions decisions!!

I'd personally find Tort the most attractive of that selection. It breaks down into handy chunks of topics, eg defamation, nuisance, etc and it follows common sense. You do need to be good at recalling case-law. GCD's one-day refresher is very good on it.

Ok thanks a million, will def look in to doing tort then if not EU. Great to get a bit of an insight from someone who's been through these already!

Does anyone know if the exam reports are available yet for October 11 sitting of constitutional, property, EU & tort? would happily swap any sample answers people need, have all subjects up to october 2010. also looking for the most recent sets of sample answers i.e. march & october 2011 for constitutional, property, EU, tort & company if anyone has them - have loads of notes/grids/answers I can swap in return so PM me if interested.
    JCJCJC wrote: »
    I'd personally find Tort the most attractive of that selection. It breaks down into handy chunks of topics, eg defamation, nuisance, etc and it follows common sense. You do need to be good at recalling case-law. GCD's one-day refresher is very good on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 NKearney50

Hey all!

I am considering doing the prep course when it start next in May/June but I am not planning to sit the actual exams until Mar/April 2013!

My question is if I did the prep course almost a year in advance of the exams will the course content I have learned and studied in that time be adequate enough to use in the exams or will the course change much?

Thanks a mill.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

Fe1erere wrote: »
    Anyone know how relevant this act is???? (to the exam)

it featured as a question in the october sittin! pretty relevant!!!

NKearney50 wrote: »
    Hey all!

I am considering doing the prep course when it start next in May/June but I am not planning to sit the actual exams until Mar/April 2013!

My question is if I did the prep course almost a year in advance of the exams will the course content I have learned and studied in that time be adequate enough to use in the exams or will the course change much?

Thanks a mill.

I'd say you should be fine, if anything you'll have an edge. Is something big changes like a new Act etc, you are quite likely to hear about it here on this board. I did some GCD one-day refreshers six months before the exam and found them great, I structured my serious study per the advice given at those. If there's something major, like a new EU treaty, you'll hear about it on a day-to-day basis. In areas like tort and contract, where case-law matters, if you search bailii.org for the most recent cases you know, you'll get any later cases that cite them. Remember to search the Supreme Court and the High Court, sometimes there can be a change, eg Dakota Packaging v Wyeth, the SC reversed the HC in a contract law case and a FE1 question came up on it in a problem scenario.

I really have trouble studying and retaining EU law. It just doesn't interest me. Would anybody oblige and give a reliable minimum selection of topics that ought to be enough to get past the exam with a 51?

Thanks JC

NKearney50 wrote: »
    Hey all!

Thanks a mill.

I think that the homework questions and mock exam that prepares you for the exam will be slightly different each term. (they are not a mirror image of the exam but i suppose an indirect prediction of whats likely to come up ....also they set questions that seem to cover large areas of the topic) ..............but an exam grid will do that aswel except these guys have years of experience in the business! Personally I would advise you to do a course with Griffith..... take the four exams and if you fail at least you have good learning experience from taking the exam. Then pay the reduced rate as a repeat student if you fail..... If your a non law grad def do a course... most people seem to have law degrees here..

Pick 10 topics from the most frequently asked question and know everything about those topics if you can.......... make sure you can answer any question in 35 mins...... i put all the facts ...case law statute sections into an excel spreadsheet and that helps me to focus on remembering the important stuff! Only ideas and everyone has their own way!

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gortnakilla12

Hey guys, I'm doing four of the fe-1's in March! study is bleh but the one that I worry about the most is Tort. I just can't stand it! I wonder does anyone have any tips for things they think might come up in Tort this sitting coz I'd really like to get it this time and not have to sit it again! I'd really appreciate anyone's opinions on this paper! cheers Hope the study is going better for everyone else!!

At a flash glance you should get 5 questions from the list
    -Defamation
    -Professional (Medical)
    -Economic: (Passing off)
    -Vicarious
    -Defective product
    -Occupiers liability
    -Nuisance & RvF
    -Trespass
    -General negligence

But be careful to read the question! is it general negligence or is it......... cant see how you will get many marks if you bang on about general negligence when thats not the focus!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

hey guys...im using a 2009/2010 GDC manual for criminal for this sitting in March. Just wondering if anyone knows of any major updates or new acts/legislation which may not feature in this outdated manual???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement