Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

Hi, in applying for the next batch of exams, am I right in saying that I need to send in a copy of my results? What should I do if I can't find that letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

MoneyMilo wrote: »
    Hi, in applying for the next batch of exams, am I right in saying that I need to send in a copy of my results? What should I do if I can't find that letter?

This happened me last round, realized I needed the letter at the last minute and couldn't find it.. so I rang the office in a panic and they let me away without one, I just put a note with my application forms that I had been speaking with them etc. and it was grand. If you need the letter again, you can request a new results letter, think there is a charge though..

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

This happened me last round, realized I needed the letter at the last minute and couldn't find it.. so I rang the office in a panic and they let me away without one, I just put a note with my application forms that I had been speaking with them etc. and it was grand. If you need the letter again, you can request a new results letter, think there is a charge though..

there is no charge for a copy of your results, had to get it last time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Get those forms away in the post asap guys, Friday of this week is the closing date. I sent mine today. If you're buying a bank draft and you have a student ID card, you get the draft fees waived.;)

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

I'm sitting Company (amongst others) in March. I've done no study for it yet. Somebody a number of weeks ago said they only studied 10 topics for it and passed. What were those 10 topics?? Worried I'll fail it as my strengths lie elsewhere! TotaLLY UP S**T Creek at the min! Sob!

I learned about 8 topics well, 4 of those came up, and i passed first time, but I looked at what was most likely to come up. Basically, do everything relating to directors and corporate borrowings- these are almost def 2 qs that will come up. I was sure examinership was going to come up in October, it didn't, so I strongly suggest knowing that well too. Know sep legal personality and disregarding SLP. I would def do disposition of co assets if I was you also. Look at the exam grid- I mean there are no guarantees at all, but if you make smart choices, and with a lot of luck on the day, you'll get through it.

And definitely bring the Companies Acts in with you- I answered a q on liquidation using these alone, i had like one case that I randomly remembered. Beg, borrow or steal if you must!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MB2012

Hey I also have to re-sit constitutional. Just wondering if you have any advice on new cases etc, as I am living in Australia and travelling home for it, so its a real pain and nerve wrecking.

Did it in Sept 2010 so I reckon there are quite a few changes??

Are you doing GCD or Independ?? Any info at all will be much appreciated.

cooper10 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Have to re-sit Constitutional so wondering does anyone have sample answers to swop? I have sample answers and past papers for all other subjects (except for EU) so would really appreciate if anyone can help?

Also are the intensive revision courses of any use considering that they're fairly close to the exam? Do they give sample answers at those sessions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MB2012

Hey All,

Anyone doing Constitutional Law in March?? Its the only one I failed, so after a year and a half off resitting it, but wondering if there has been any changes, new cases etc that I should look out for.

If any one is doing it, and doing GCD or Independ can u PM me...would appreciate any help as not living in Ireland at the min.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

Hey!

Not really prepared for these exams at all at all at all so have decided to do just three this time round - tort, EU and constitutional. For Tort I'm doing
    1. Defamation
    2. Medical Negligence
    3. Passing Off
    4. Vicarious Liability
    5. Defective Products
    6. Occupier's Liability
    7. Nuisance and RvF
    8. Trespass
    9. General Negligence
    10. Employer's Liability
    11. Animal Liability

Would people think I would be covered with that? or am i missing a topic that is a must?

Also, really really really struggling with Constitutional - do people know what topics they are doing for the exam? are there must do ones? i'm finding it the most difficult to study for and just can't get my head around it all! Any help would be much appreciated

Hey!

Not really prepared for these exams at all at all at all so have decided to do just three this time round - tort, EU and constitutional. For Tort I'm doing
    1. Defamation
    2. Medical Negligence
    3. Passing Off
    4. Vicarious Liability
    5. Defective Products
    6. Occupier's Liability
    7. Nuisance and RvF
    8. Trespass
    9. General Negligence
    10. Employer's Liability
    11. Animal Liability

Would people think I would be covered with that? or am i missing a topic that is a must?

Also, really really really struggling with Constitutional - do people know what topics they are doing for the exam? are there must do ones? i'm finding it the most difficult to study for and just can't get my head around it all! Any help would be much appreciated

wez99950 wrote: »
    Hey!

1. Defamation
    2. Medical Negligence
    3. Passing Off
    4. Vicarious Liability
    5. Defective Products
    6. Occupier's Liability
    7. Nuisance and RvF
    8. Trespass
    9. General Negligence
    10. Employer's Liability
    11. Animal Liability

Make sure you sit FOUR, you are obliged to per the rules.

• Advertisement

JCJCJC wrote: »

Thanks JC - this is my second lot! I have 3 down and was going to attempt the remaining 5 but it's just too with having to work as well as study

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Miss_F

wez99950 wrote: »
    Hey!

1. Defamation
    2. Medical Negligence
    3. Passing Off
    4. Vicarious Liability
    5. Defective Products
    6. Occupier's Liability
    7. Nuisance and RvF
    8. Trespass
    9. General Negligence
    10. Employer's Liability
    11. Animal Liability

Maybe also do Nervous shock and pure economic loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 yunthunter

Quick favour to ask on here, could someone please list the topics that came up on the previous two Constitutional Law exams, I have an old exam grid and it would be nice to know what has come up recently.

Please and Thank You in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Do you not have to just sit 4 your first time taking the exams, and pass at least 3, and after that you can do them in 2's and 3's etc?

yunthunter wrote: »
    Quick favour to ask on here, could someone please list the topics that came up on the previous two Constitutional Law exams, I have an old exam grid and it would be nice to know what has come up recently.

Please and Thank You in advance!

I have the Oct 2011 paper. This is what I thought the Q's were about anyway!

1 - Property rights, right to earn a living, reconciling freedom to enjoy one's property with the rights of the community to enjoy theirs; Constitutionality of a regulatory bylaw restricting land use, prohibiting all forms of advertising, signage or sloganeering on private property.

2 - Constitutionality of administering justice in public, essay, quote case-law

3 - Opinion differed on this! Problem - a traveller waiting years for accommodation, baby on the way, constitutional remedies? I thought it was SOP, would a judge direct the executive, others here didn't agree.

4 - Religion and the Constitution, essay, options for reform, ststus quo, court treatment of religion.

5- Essay on the right to life v individual autonomy and refusal of medical treatment, discuss how the courts have dealt with refusal of medical treatment.

6 - Problem - Arrest, Conviction based on inferences from silence, possession of a prohibited object, opinion of a Garda Super alone, access to a solicitor while in custody, judicial review (very long complicated question)

7 - Case note - any two:
    Crotty v An Taoiseach
    Curtin v Dail Eireann
    R v R aka Roche v Roche
    Dellway v NAMA in the Supreme Court

Facts, analysis of court, importance of case.

8. Right to privacy - essay, emphasis on evolution of the right and constitution as a living instrument.

chops018 wrote: »
    Do you not have to just sit 4 your first time taking the exams, and pass at least 3, and after that you can do them in 2's and 3's etc?

Yep, see the OP's reply. it wasn't clear from the OP that this wasn't the first time.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

First day of study today, I've been working up until now. Hoping I have enough time to get everything covered satisfactority, Constitutional looks fairly intense...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

First day of study today, I've been working up until now. Hoping I have enough time to get everything covered satisfactority, Constitutional looks fairly intense...

How many subjects are you doing?

Constitutional is tricky in parts alright. Lots of it will be familiar though (presuming you did Law in college) as some of the important cases are memorable. Cases like Norris, CC, Sinnott etc. Much of it will come flooding back. There's quite a volume of it to get through though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

How many subjects are you doing?

Constitutional is tricky in parts alright. Lots of it will be familiar though (presuming you did Law in college) as some of the important cases are memorable. Cases like Norris, CC, Sinnott etc. Much of it will come flooding back. There's quite a volume of it to get through though.
    I'm doing four, but I've been working until now. It's mainly the volume that intimidates me. The Griffith manual I have for it is much bigger than any other manual I've worked with (though they're all Independent manuals).

Yep, see the OP's reply. it wasn't clear from the OP that this wasn't the first time.

JC

Oh, OK.

So I'm not making a mistake in saying that I'm doing 4 this March, and if I pass 3 I can do 3 next September and then if I pass those my final 2 the following March?

Or would I have to sit 5 next September if 3 were passed this March, out of the 4 that is!

• Advertisement

Just thought I'd put up how my study is going. Attempting them for the first time in March. Picked Contract, Criminal, Equity and Property.

I've gone through most of the topics in each of the subjects using the manuals and books.

Also I've gotten through some exam paper questions for each of the subjects, which I feel is a brilliant study tool (I used the examiners reports, books and manuals for help :P).

I spent today going through the last 6 sittings of exam papers to figure out a pattern and it was hugely helpful in narrowing down my studies to 6 or 7 topics for each subject instead of 12.

My plan from here is to keep on doing questions from the exam papers and try make some concise notes on the topics I picked for quick revision in the days nearing the exams. Have a good bit done now so I'm a lot more confident than I was 6 weeks ago but I wish I had a bit more time, hard going studying for 5-6 hours a day mon-thurs and then working fri, sat and sun. But has to be done, just gonna keep studying the way I'm studying and hope for some luck in the exams as regard topics/questions!!

How is everyone else doing? Also what are some of your study techniques?

Oh, OK.

So I'm not making a mistake in saying that I'm doing 4 this March, and if I pass 3 I can do 3 next September and then if I pass those my final 2 the following March?

YES!

Or would I have to sit 5 next September if 3 were passed this March, out of the 4 that is!

NO! Once you get the initial three, you can pick off the remaining five any way you like.

It's all in the rules you get from the lawsoc.

It's all in the rules you get from the lawsoc.

Thanks for the info !! I had a browse through the rules, but the only thing that stuck was that you have to do 4 your first time and pass at least 3.

Thanks for the info !! I had a browse through the rules, but the only thing that stuck was that you have to do 4 your first time and pass at least 3.

Just do that for now and worry about the next step when you have to ;-)

I'm here trying to make some sense of FMOW and it has my head addled.

JC

Miss_F wrote: »
    Iam also doing Contract not a whole lot to leave out here but in my opinion main topics would be:

Offer & Acceptance
    Consideration
    Estoppel
    Capacity (comes up a fair bit usually regarding children)
    Privity
    Misrepresentation
    Mistake
    Illegality
    Discharge
    Remedies

Thats just my opinion and what iam doing others may have a different view.

Completely agree here. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of area for removal. Definitively need a good knowledge of offer and acceptance and consideration, and even at that an offer and acceptance question could contain privity elements or clauses.

But the above does seem like the main areas, I'll be concentrating on:

Offer and Acceptance.
    Consideration and Estoppel.
    Privity.
    Terms of Contract.
    Mistake.
    Misrepresentation.
    Frustration.
    Damages.
    Minors and Contract.
    Illegality.

That's 9 areas, and I hope it will be enough, only problem is though they usually have questions as 2 parts or two separate issues, that might contain both terms of contract and misrepresentation/frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭histories

Sorry if these have already been asked and answered:

(1) how does one go about studying for the FE1s? Is it possible to do independent study or do you get manuals from the likes of Griffith? Does the law society issue manuals?

(2) are you expected to answer differently from how you answer your college exams e.g. do they require a certain style/more indepth answers?

Graduating with a law degree this summer and am thinking of doing first lot of FE1s this Sept/Oct, just trying to get the process straight in my head.

histories wrote: »
    Sorry if these have already been asked and answered:

(1) how does one go about studying for the FE1s? Is it possible to do independent study or do you get manuals from the likes of Griffith? Does the law society issue manuals?

(2) are you expected to answer differently from how you answer your college exams e.g. do they require a certain style/more indepth answers?

Graduating with a law degree this summer and am thinking of doing first lot of FE1s this Sept/Oct, just trying to get the process straight in my head.

You are wise to tackle them straight away. With your degree so fresh, you shouldn't need a whole lot more. I'd advise you to get a few sets of past papers fom the lawsoc and see what you think of them - if you feel you could comfortably answer them, then on you go.
    As for style, in my humble opinion the FE1`s want much fresher law than college did - UL in my case. They want the kind of advice a competent solicitor would give a client - accurate, relevant and comprehensive. Dusty old academic arguments from the 19th century are not what's wanted at all.
    There is a lively trade in manuals from the prep schools on another thread here, should you feel you need one. You could also do their one-day revision courses even now just before the Spring exams, and you'll get a very good feel for the FE1 process and the standard required. If you can still use your college's law library and database facilities in the coming summer, do so - you won't know how useful they are until you no longer have them. If you're doing exams on the subjects you did in your first years in college, do them quickly before your materials go out of date. I would also say do EU asap in case a new treaty comes into being to complicate matters even further.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Miss_F

Hi does anyone have any contract sample answers, I can swap for company,tort or criminal sample answers or exam papers and examiners reports for all 8 subjects for the last two sittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gudbuzz

Just a general suggestion here but would it not make some sense to divide this thread into nine different threads according to the eight subject modules and then one for general questions. I'm finding it very tedious looking for information relating to the relative subject matter. Maybe it's just me!

• Advertisement

gudbuzz wrote: »
    Just a general suggestion here but would it not make some sense to divide this thread into nine different threads according to the eight subject modules and then one for general questions. I'm finding it very tedious looking for information relating to the relative subject matter. Maybe it's just me!

Personally I think that would be a brilliant idea but I doubt the mods would agree. Even if they had a sub forum when you clicked into "Legal Discussion" for "FE-1's" and "KingsInns" then a thread for each subject and general threads inside those forums!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement