Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DaleWinton

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Thanks Jc - thats seems really good! But do you or do people include the second name of the case or do you just try and remember it with the prompt of the first name! Ive never really had to focus so much on memory learning for my degree in a diff area.. it was just a different ball game!

Hi Ned. The way I used to learn case names was repeat them 6 or 7 times in my head almost rolling to the plaintiff and the defendants name into one and then use memory techniques like JCs above to remember them. If the memory technique triggers the plaintiffs name in the exam then almost by default I seemed to remember the defendants name due to the fact that I used to repeat them in my head as one long syllable.

I have passed 7 exams and sitting the dreaded EU in March. The technique doesn't seem to work as well with EU because the case names for a start are not Irish/English or names you would be accustomed to. For example theres some Swedish case in competition law thats about 10 syllables long.

Worse still is cases like Commission v UK or Commission v Germany etc, there seems to be hundreds of them that its almost impossible to differentiate between them or remember the facts of the case when all that comes to your head is Commission v UK.

Anyone any thoughts on that in EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

DaleWinton wrote: »
    Hi Ned. The way I used to learn case names was repeat them 6 or 7 times in my head almost rolling to the plaintiff and the defendants name into one and then use memory techniques like JCs above to remember them. If the memory technique triggers the plaintiffs name in the exam then almost by default I seemed to remember the defendants name due to the fact that I used to repeat them in my head as one long syllable.

I have passed 7 exams and sitting the dreaded EU in March. The technique doesn't seem to work as well with EU because the case names for a start are not Irish/English or names you would be accustomed to. For example theres some Swedish case in competition law thats about 10 syllables long.

Worse still is cases like Commission v UK or Commission v Germany etc, there seems to be hundreds of them that its almost impossible to differentiate between them or remember the facts of the case when all that comes to your head is Commission v UK.

Anyone any thoughts on that in EU?

If it's commission v germany, when you get to the relevant article in blackstones, use a special dedicated highlighter to pick out a G,E,R... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kelmchugh

Hi guys, hope all the studying is going well. Could someone out there DM me a copy of the 2008 Constitutional paper? Seem to be missing it and want to have a look.

Cheers in advance, Kel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lbcoconut

Hey, could anyone tell me which defences appeared on the criminal- autumn 2011 paper? Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

lbcoconut wrote: »
    Hey, could anyone tell me which defences appeared on the criminal- autumn 2011 paper? Thanks! :)

Sure can it was:
    infancy, automatism, and duress
    best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ryan606

hey! looking for sample property answers, can swap criminal or company for them...even if anyones only got a yr or 2 that will do cos I have some yrs!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lbcoconut

Sure can it was:
    infancy, automatism, and duress
    best of luck

Thanks a million! :)

ryan606 wrote: »
    hey! looking for sample property answers, can swap criminal or company for them...even if anyones only got a yr or 2 that will do cos I have some yrs!

Thats no problem ....... but arent the model answers copyright or on license for those doing a course?

All persons who access and/or use this website agree to do so on the basis that all information (including documents and/or files), or links to such
    information (including documents and/or files), available on this website are licensed to the user who has obtained access hereto by use of the username
    and password provided to them personally by Griffith College Dublin. The user is not permitted to sell, copy, extract, save on any data storage unit
    including a computer, reutilise or otherwise distribute any information (including documents and/or files) to any other person, whether for commercial gain
    or otherwise.
    All information (including documents and/or files), are licensed solely for your personal use and no more. Any person who does not wish to comply with
    these conditions does not have permission to use this website and should leave immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 itsonlybla

Could anyone tell me which cases were in the EU case-note question in the last sitting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Horndawg

Does anyone have any tips for equity?

Cheers.

Hi there
    Did anyone get confirmation from the law society for exam fee payments??

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16 t2340

I did not get any letter of confirmation as of yet but most of my friends did. Rang law soc this morning but law school could not take my call at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

Does anyone know offhand how the CJEU ruled in Shirley McCarthy v Secretary of State for Home Dept? Has to do with union citizenship; my manual is a bit old and just has the AG opinion, did the CJEU adopt it or not?
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Hi there
    Did anyone get confirmation from the law society for exam fee payments??

thanks

Got mine a few days after I sent the application.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

itsonlybla wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me which cases were in the EU case-note question in the last sitting?
    1. Van Gend en Loos Case 26/62
    2. Marshall -v- Southampton AHA Case 152/84
    3. P Union de Prequenos Agricultores v Council Case C-50/00
    4. Zhu & Chen Case C-200/02
    5. Microsoft v Commission Case T-201/04
    6. Transportes Urbanos y Servicios Generales -v- Adminstraction del Estade C-118/09
    7. P Azko Chemicals -v- Commission C-550/07

Thanks man, appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LawNerd2011

Am I right in saying that:

The hallmark of a floating charge is the freedom of the chargor company to do what it pleases with the charged property free from any restriction from the chargee bank.

Or is this wrong. Should it be that the company is the chargee and the bank is the chargeor? I'm really confused. All my books are saying different things. What a way to be spending a Fri night. Why do I want to be a solicitor so badly?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 parripassu

Could someone please send the con sample answers from 2011 and 2010, I would be most grateful.

In return I can offer EU law answers up too March 2011. I can also send on the Independent Colleges constitutional revision slides which are very good. I also have the top 20 2010 Con cases too.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 TC_NOW_PLEASE

Does anyone know offhand how the CJEU ruled in Shirley McCarthy v Secretary of State for Home Dept? Has to do with union citizenship; my manual is a bit old and just has the AG opinion, did the CJEU adopt it or not?
    Thanks!
    I am in the same boat as you,my manual just has the AG opinion...I just googled it there and there does appear to be a judgment from May. This is the press release on it so it's in plain language...think it does the job though! http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2011-05/cp110043en.pdf

• Advertisement

Am I right in saying that:

The hallmark of a floating charge is the freedom of the chargor company to do what it pleases with the charged property free from any restriction from the chargee bank.

Or is this wrong. Should it be that the company is the chargee and the bank is the chargeor? I'm really confused. All my books are saying different things. What a way to be spending a Fri night. Why do I want to be a solicitor so badly?!

From what I understand, thats the most important characteristic in terms of what has given rise to the most cases. Other characteristics can include (i) that its a charge on a class of assets, and (ii) that the class of assets are constantly changing (Romer LJ, Re Yorkshire Woolcombers Association).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 uhoh2

i have blackstones 20th edition and i used it for the last sitting. but theres a new one out the 22nd edition?anyone with experience know if i can still use the same one or is there benefits to the 22nd ed?also re private international law, is the brussels regulations in any of the blackstones cant seem to find it, thanks

uhoh2 wrote: »
    i have blackstones 20th edition and i used it for the last sitting. but theres a new one out the 22nd edition?anyone with experience know if i can still use the same one or is there benefits to the 22nd ed?also re private international law, is the brussels regulations in any of the blackstones cant seem to find it, thanks

In my humble, you'd be stark raving bonkers to rely on that 20th edn, and I also have it - it's totally obsolete now. It can't give you the Lisbon Treaty and all the current article numbers and new articles. You have to have the TEU and the TFEU, I don't see any way around it. I got the 22nd Edn on Amazon, its cheap by law book standards. Can't see any reference in it in the contents to the Brussels regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 uhoh2

20th edition has the TEU and TFEU

JCJCJC wrote: »
    In my humble, you'd be stark raving bonkers to rely on that 20th edn, and I also have it - it's totally obsolete now. It can't give you the Lisbon Treaty and all the current article numbers and new articles. You have to have the TEU and the TFEU, I don't see any way around it. I got the 22nd Edn on Amazon, its cheap by law book standards. Can't see any reference in it in the contents to the Brussels regs.

20th edition has the TEU and TFEU

My apologies. You're absolutely right. Looking more closely at it in that light - under 'new to this edition' it lists Directive 96/71 on posted workers, 2004/113 on equal treatment, 2005/29 on consumer protection, Reg 320/2010 on competition, and repealed Dir 94/45 has been removed. Presumably some changes were also made in the 21st edition that I have no way of knowing about. I'd still be a lot more comfortable with the latest one, since they're so inexpensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

My manual isn't entirely clear on patent ambiguity. The gist I'm getting is that if an ambiguity can be seen in the four corners of the will then extrinsic evidence is not permitted; the gift will fail. Is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 imtiptop

hey,relly stuck on q2 march 2011.any1 know what it is about!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Maurice Levy

Hi, I hope everyone's study is going well. I am taking Criminal, Contract, Equity and Company at this sitting and I was wondering-
    1. Does anyone have exam grids for these four subjects that they could pm me? I have some past exam questions and answers and also some examiner reports on these four subjects and EU law if anyone wants to swap.
    2. I am using books from 2009, are there any major changes that I should know about?
    Thanks!

imtiptop wrote: »
    hey,relly stuck on q2 march 2011.any1 know what it is about!?

If it's Joanna the sheep farmer, I think it's whether you are entitled to fair procedures if there is an invasion of your constitutional rights, and free legal aid in non-criminal matters. Your examiner has written a fair bit about fair procedures, they only kick in when the invasion of rights is substantial. In this case, her property ownership, use of right-of-way and right to livelihood is under fire, so the threshold for the right to fair procedures is met. You would discuss her right to audi alteram partem and the purported denial of effective hearing through refusal of the costs of making a competent submission. You would therefore be mounting a challenge to the constitutionality of a process that, without a mechanism to assist with costs, invades constitutional rights in a procedurally unfair way.
    I would (and did) write a few lines to say that compulsory purchase is lawful in certain circumstances pro bono publicem, where the greater public interest is served at the expense of the affected person, the process to achieve that must conduct a balancing exercise of the competing rights in a fair and unbiased way, so the KY Co Co shouldn't be able to automatically approve their own compulsory purchase application as the question suggests, that contravenes nemo judex in causa sua and so on.

Maybe I was all wrong but that's what I wrote anyway.

• Advertisement

I think the Brussels Regulations aren't in Blackstones at all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement