Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 uhoh2

what are peoples thoughts of eu?independent said last year that they think he leaves off one big topic per exam. just wondering what are people covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Tort law:

Could someone tell me what last sittings Q on trespass was about please and thank you..

Also, planning on having the following done for the big exam -
    Negligence
    Economic loss
    Employers liability
    Vicarious liability
    Occupiers liability
    Defective products
    Trespass
    Liability for animals
    Defences

What would people consider necessary to add to this list or would anyone like to share what val corbett is tipping??

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

banterful wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just covering Treasure Trove at the moment & getting very confused so would really appreciate if anyone can clarify:

Does the definition of treasure trove still require ACCIDENTAL finding?

It wasn't mentioned in Webb v Ireland, & it clearly wasn't accidental there since they went digging for the chalice with a metal detector. The requirement of 'accidental' finding also doesn't seem to be mentioned in S2 of the National Monuments Act 1994.

BUT all the academic definitions seem to say treasure trove has to be found ACCIDENTALLY, so which is it??

If someone could clarify I would REALLY appreciate it :D
    Not doing property this time around so I'm not intimately familiar with it (any more) but I never read that the finding ever had to be accidental. Where are you getting that? From what I can see, the treasure just has to be "found", as well as meeting the other criteria such as archaeological importance etc. I studied TT from Lyall's textbook and I don't recall any mention of a requirement that the finding be accidental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭ID@THEWIDOWS

Hi All,

I am looking for fe1 manuals from a very recent prep course from Independent Colleges or Griffith. They must be in excellent condition.

I am looking for manuals in the following

Constitutional
    Criminal
    Tort
    Contract Law

Also I am looking for a Kings Inns prep course book on evidence law from one of the recent courses as above. Looking to get hold of these immediatly and cash ready. Any notes etc that comes with these are greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Hi All,

I am looking for fe1 manuals from a very recent prep course from Independent Colleges or Griffith. They must be in excellent condition.

I am looking for manuals in the following

Constitutional
    Criminal
    Tort
    Contract Law

Also I am looking for a Kings Inns prep course book on evidence law from one of the recent courses as above. Looking to get hold of these immediatly and cash ready. Any notes etc that comes with these are greatly appreciated

There's a separate thread for buying and selling materials, you need to post your message there if you haven't already done so.

JC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Not doing property this time around so I'm not intimately familiar with it (any more) but I never read that the finding ever had to be accidental. Where are you getting that? From what I can see, the treasure just has to be "found", as well as meeting the other criteria such as archaeological importance etc. I studied TT from Lyall's textbook and I don't recall any mention of a requirement that the finding be accidental.

Thanks evercloserunion, the Independent manual & lecturer said the definition referred to "accidental" finding, seems even if that was the original definition it's not necessary now though in light of the National Monuments Act. Thanks again for clarifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

banterful wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just covering Treasure Trove at the moment & getting very confused so would really appreciate if anyone can clarify:

Does the definition of treasure trove still require ACCIDENTAL finding?

It wasn't mentioned in Webb v Ireland, & it clearly wasn't accidental there since they went digging for the chalice with a metal detector. The requirement of 'accidental' finding also doesn't seem to be mentioned in S2 of the National Monuments Act 1994.

BUT all the academic definitions seem to say treasure trove has to be found ACCIDENTALLY, so which is it??

If someone could clarify I would REALLY appreciate it :D

This is an outline of an answer I would use for a "treasure trove/finding things in or land" question:

Well for finding things in or on land some cases would be: Armory .v. Delamirie (1722) - it was on finders rights, they held that the priority of rights to possession say that a finder has better title to property if he/she finds it over everyone except the true owner.

Another case on finding objects is: Parker .v. British Airways Board (1982) - here a passenger found a gold bracelet on the floor of an airport. He handed it in, however the airway tried to keep the bracelet and he challenged this. It was said in this case that the owner of the land that the object is found on is usually taken to have better title to the lost property than a passer by. However they did note exceptions, such as places where the public would have access to routinely i.e. the airport. and in that case the finder will have a stronger case. Here the court ruled in favour of Parker.

It is also important to note that the finder must take reasonable steps to find the true owner.

The above are cases of objects found on the land, if it is found in the land the owner of the land will have more strength. Elwes .v. Brigg (1886) demonstrated this, here a pre-historic boat was embedded in the soil and was discovered by the lessees. However the lessor was found to have better title to the property found. It was said that: "the lessor was in possession of the ground, not merely the surface, but of everything that lay beneath the surface down to the centre of the earth and consequently in possession of the boat."

Another case that distinguished items found in or on land was: Waverly Borough Council .v. Fletcher (1995) - it was said that the owner of land has a superior right if the object is in the land, while the finder is superior if the object is found on land, if the owner has not manifested an intention to control the land and things upon it. This case involved an item found in the land in a park, thus the owner was given superiority, they did note however that the fact it was a park and if it had been an object found on the land rather than in the land then the finder would have superiority.

As for treasure trove, the main case would be Webb .v. Ireland (1988) - where a hoard was found that included a gold chalice. The plaintiffs were told by the museum that they would be "honourably treated" if they gave up the hoard. The case made its way to the Supreme Court after the museum didn't follow through. Finlay J. said that the plaintiffs did not have a prima facie title to the hoard. The landowners had a superior right, to which the State succeeded an agreement. The argument then came to whether the State had a prerogative right to Treasure Trove, as the defendant could claim title and the plaintiff a reward. Article 10 of the constitution (state dominion over mineral rights) was used to ground the defendants claim to title. However the plaintiffs were grounded to have a legitimate expectation to be honourably treated and had a right to an reward. As a result of this case section 2(1) of the National Monuments (Amendment) Act 1994 was created which provides:
    "Without prejudice to any other rights howsoever arising in relation to any archaeological object found before the coming into operation of this section, there shall stand vested in the state ownership of an archaeological object found in the State after coming into operation of this section where such an object has no known owner when it was found".

Hope this helps.

On the subject or treasure trove, no harm maybe to note that the definition of land in the Land And Conveyancing Law Reform Act 2009 at S3 limits the airspace above land to that which is capable of being built on:
    (e) the airspace above the surface of land or above any building or structure on land which is capable of being or was previously occupied by a building or structure and any part of such airspace, whether the division is made horizontally, vertically or in any other way,

That is far from clear. Does it mean capable, in a legal sense or in an engineering sense? For a given greenfield site, the capacity to build might depend on its status under planning and environmental legislation, for example it could be zoned as open space, it could be a National Heritage Area, it could be subject to the Habitats Directive etc, all of which would make the construction of a building unlawful. Does the owner then have no rights to the airspace a millimetre off the ground?
    Taking the engineering interpretation of it next, 'capable of being occupied by a structure' means the effective airspace under the owner's control is notionally related to the highest building in the world now or at any time in history, presently 829.84m per Wikipedia, which is very high indeed, 2700 feet. Can the landowner then direct an aircraft passing at 2,000 feet to...please leave, using whatever colloquial terminology comes to mind?
    And the prase 'or was previously occupied' could mean, that a site where a tall brick industrial chimney or some other tall structure once stood in the 19th century has a hypothetical right to the airspace to the height of the long-gone chimney!

It would seem to mean in effect that cujus est solum has been partially modified by the new Act, so that airspace no longer runs with the land, if it ever really did.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

hi
    just wondering if anyone had a copy of the oct 2011 constitutional paper they could send me? I can swap sample answers in various subjects!

just pm me if you can help! thanks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Can anyone give us Val's tips for tort? I've failed this twice now by 3% if i have to sit it again i'm going to burn down the law society!

any threats in this post are not really threats.....i swear

• Advertisement

birdie89 wrote: »
    hi
    just wondering if anyone had a copy of the oct 2011 constitutional paper they could send me? I can swap sample answers in various subjects!

just pm me if you can help! thanks:)

pm sent jc

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

Hey everyone, I am just wondering if anyone has any sample answers and exam grid for equity? I would really appreciate it, freaking out a little bit! I have property sample answers... Thanks in advance!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Exam details came this morning.

Got my info pack this morning, was just wondering about the permitted legislation - it says that photocopies or copies printed from the internet are not acceptable.

I will be wanting to bring the succession act 1965 for property, where can you buy an original of this legislation to bring in?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

chops018 wrote: »
    Got my info pack this morning, was just wondering about the permitted legislation - it says that photocopies or copies printed from the internet are not acceptable.

I will be wanting to bring the succession act 1965 for property, where can you buy an original of this legislation to bring in?

Government Publications on Molesworth St, Dublin 2. I think they do mail order too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 mitty87

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody would be willing to swap some sample answers for equity, tort & constitutional - I have Company, EU, Criminal, Contract and Property sample answers from March last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Come on...someone dish out Vals tips there will ya. I got cheeseburgers man, I'll......!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lolita60

Would anyone be willing to post up the predictions made by the prep courses for the exams.... Would really help in cutting back on Topics at this stage!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Thanks chops, I actually saw that when you put it up originally, v helpful!! It was just the accidental finding bit I was confused about but that seems no longer a requirement for treasure trove if it ever was...thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

EU

What is everyone covering for Eu? Such a nightmare...the manual is so big!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Awfull Lawfull

mitty87 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody would be willing to swap some sample answers for equity, tort & constitutional - I have Company, EU, Criminal, Contract and Property sample answers from March last year!
    Hi, I have sample answers for Tort.I have October 2009,March 2010 and 2011.I could swap you for your EU and Company ones ?

So, the exams are nearing! How is everyone's progress?

I'm just putting a few finishing touches to my topics, and after that it will be trying to learn all the sample answers, answers I done myself and notes I made myself off.

I hope I remember all the material I've worked on the last while and I hope the questions fall my way with the topics I've done. Got about 8 topics for each subject covered, so hopefully that will be enough!

What way is everyone else going to be tackling study with these few weeks left coming up to the exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mayebe

Hi...I have loads of sample answers up to 2008..? I would appreciate any you have for tort though as I don't have any..and also the any post 2008 ones for const..I'm sitting const, eu and tort..total nightmare! Have passed the other five in my first sitting about 2 years ago but these three are a different story..all the topics are so interlinked!!!

I can pass on whatever that I have that would be helpful..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mayebe

Sorry..me again..has anyone doing EU tried to look at the March 2010 question? This could be a sillly question but as well as direct effect for the first part it is related to customs duties etc? UGH confusing mixed up topics!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garethj

I have the prep colleges tips for Company if anyone would like to swap for Equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Jaysus starting to panic now a little - for those sitting 3-4 subjects is the general consensus at this stage to focus on 8 of the most frequently asked topics or are folks doing 10-11.

Think theres a lot of technique to these exams

garethj wrote: »
    I have the prep colleges tips for Company if anyone would like to swap for Equity?

Ah why don't you just put them up here and don't hold out for a swap. You'll need a good turn yourself some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Does anyone have the last sittings tort paper they wouldn't mind passing on?
    If I might have anything you're looking for in return please ask!

Thanks

I hear you ! Im sitting Company,Eu Equity and Criminal. Dont now wether to laugh or cry
    a this stage..... All we can do is try our best I suppose :)

• Advertisement

I can send you some Tort, if you can send me the newest Company and EU ones ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement