Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

ananas wrote: »
    For Tort, I'd be equally as wary of relying on predictions. I've heard that Defamation is tipped, but on looking at the reports, it seems to come every second sitting. I'll cover it in scant detail and pray that some of the jazz I've learned for freedom of expression might cover me. I've just left out limitations, occupiers, liability for fire and defamation (essentially).

Can I just ask is there any particular reason you're leaving out Occupiers?? Was it in the last paper?

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lbcoconut

How many topics have people covered for property? Just wondering if anyone has the October 2011 paper would they be able to give me an idea of the topics that came up, have an outdated grid and would really appreciate the favour! Thanks in advance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Avatargh

For Constitutional Tips there is really only one. Cover as much of the course as humanly possible. I went to the City Colleges Prep course (which was amazing) and Brendan said that there was absolutely no point in making any predictions as there was no telling with this examiner what he'll put up. He really is that random.

Disagree entirely. Many, many of the same issue keep recurring. Indeed, even issue he's written on in journals have been recurrently on the exam. Just because something doesn't "come up" every year doesn't mean its impossible to get an incredibly strong handle on how that paper is set and broad areas tend be on the examiners mind and he is "that random" and there is "no telling".

Indeed, the comment that its "that random" is even odder when the issues are anything but random and tend to reflect pretty significant issues in constitutional law. Sure how many times has the exam asked for advises on the current position viz socio-economic rights or privacy or media expression?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 copious

hi guys just on injunctions in equity, it was marevas that came up oct last year right? (as a full question?) does this effectively mean i can leave this out when studying this bunch of them? focus on AP, QT and mandatory (in order of importance?) thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

For Tort, I'd be equally as wary of relying on predictions. I've heard that Defamation is tipped, but on looking at the reports, it seems to come every second sitting. I'll cover it in scant detail and pray that some of the jazz I've learned for freedom of expression might cover me. I've just left out limitations, occupiers, liability for fire and defamation (essentially).

I am leaving out defamation, as it is massive and it came up on the last paper. It is a risk, but it is one question (well it has been up to now), which will hopefully leave me with a choice of 7 on the paper!

I am also leaving out professional negligence, as it appeared on the last paper. Again it is a risk, but I am covering all else except for State liability and defective premises.

Hopefully, I will have done enough to pass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

colonel1 wrote: »

I am leaving out defamation, as it is massive and it came up on the last paper. It is a risk, but it is one question (well it has been up to now), which will hopefully leave me with a choice of 7 on the paper!

I am also leaving out professional negligence, as it appeared on the last paper. Again it is a risk, but I am covering all else except for State liability and defective premises.

Hopefully, I will have done enough to pass!

Personally im doing Defamation and ill be doing occupiers liability - as for liab for fire - no way! On some papers there seems to be an obscure question which you cant prepare for because its off the wall and rarely comes up! But hey defamation prob wont come up now or occupiers liab and then fire will!!! but hey Sh*t happens! You can only do your best and go for it.

I hear what your saying - likewise with property Treasure trove has been on the paper too many times - do i think it will come up again??? no - but i cant leave it out due to the pattern!

Good luck folks 8 days and counting!!! those night b4 study notes from one of the colleges would be good now to really focus on each topic!!! back to it!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

lbcoconut wrote: »
    How many topics have people covered for property? Just wondering if anyone has the October 2011 paper would they be able to give me an idea of the topics that came up, have an outdated grid and would really appreciate the favour! Thanks in advance :)

Oct 11 was
    1 - Family Prop - protection for spouses and same sex couples
    2 - Co-Ownership Prob Q
    3 - Succession Essay re FM v. TAM
    4 - Succession Intestacy Prob Q
    5 - Residential Tenancies Act Essay
    6 - Treasure Trove/Findings
    7 - Adverse Possession
    8 - Succession Prob Q - partial intestacy/rules of distribution/interpretation of wills

I plan on covering - Succession, Co-ownership, Easements, Adv Poss, Mortgages, Licences, Co-Ownership .. and then briefly cover Treasure Trove and Family Prop..and maybe a bit on L/Lord and Tenant if I have time, only reason I'm leaving that one until last is because I absolutely hate it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Northern Child

JCJCJC wrote: »
    You won't really get much cheaper than the Ibis , and the R'Cow is in the middle of nowhere, so B&B's and the like aren't really common in that locality. Anyway, these days B&B's charge the same as low-end hotels. I don't think you have too many choices. There are a few other hotels one or two Luas stops from the RC, but you won't save anything on cost. The last two times I sat the exams, I drove up each morning - 150 miles, that's what I'll be doing this time too, leaving home about 5.30 am. Traffic can be choc-a-bloc for the last 5 or 6 miles from the Green Isle Hotel on in on the M7 approach, a major stressor you definitely don't need, so aim to be very early if you are planning to drive.

how early is early? and also is there parking at the exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lbcoconut

Oct 11 was
    1 - Family Prop - protection for spouses and same sex couples
    2 - Co-Ownership Prob Q
    3 - Succession Essay re FM v. TAM
    4 - Succession Intestacy Prob Q
    5 - Residential Tenancies Act Essay
    6 - Treasure Trove/Findings
    7 - Adverse Possession
    8 - Succession Prob Q - partial intestacy/rules of distribution/interpretation of wills

I plan on covering - Succession, Co-ownership, Easements, Adv Poss, Mortgages, Licences, Co-Ownership .. and then briefly cover Treasure Trove and Family Prop..and maybe a bit on L/Lord and Tenant if I have time, only reason I'm leaving that one until last is because I absolutely hate it..

Thanks a million, i'm following the same line, undecided about looking at Landlord/tenant at the minute too! Best of Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

how early is early? and also is there parking at the exam?

To be honest, I'd say aim to be there at 0815 to 0830, that'll leave you a decent safety margin if you get caught in heavy traffic. Bring some grub with you if you're driving, you can have a breakfast in the 'Cow if you're early enough but cover yourself both ways, don't go in to the exam without having eaten for several hours and bring in a bottle of water. Take a stroll to the restroom too after two or three questions, just to get a break and keep your circulation moving, it'll rest your eyes too.

There's usually plenty of parking. Note that to get in to the hotel in a car you first have to go well past it towards the city, past Harris's trucks, and just past Woodie's DIY keep left and you use a sort of an open-plan roundabout to come about again through a few sets of lights so that you approach the red Cow outbound on the M7.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

Disagree entirely. Many, many of the same issue keep recurring. Indeed, even issue he's written on in journals have been recurrently on the exam. Just because something doesn't "come up" every year doesn't mean its impossible to get an incredibly strong handle on how that paper is set and broad areas tend be on the examiners mind and he is "that random" and there is "no telling".

Indeed, the comment that its "that random" is even odder when the issues are anything but random and tend to reflect pretty significant issues in constitutional law. Sure how many times has the exam asked for advises on the current position viz socio-economic rights or privacy or media expression?

Well from reading the paper, yes certain things do reappear like non delegation, 38, justice in public etc. However, I would be wary of cutting out the course as the topics do mix and I'm merely warning based on my own experience of people cutting off their nose to spite their face. The course is huge and if you run the risk of only doing X amount of topics, you could end up not being able to answer whats on the paper. But that is just my humble opinion, I'm merely passing on info that I got from a prep course from someone who knows their stuff who expressly didn't give tips and told us to cover as much as possible.

I'm not doing occupiers as I feel that I've done so much that to cram in anymore would result in my brain pushing out something important! Don't think that it came up last sitting but at this stage, I just cannot be arsed anymore..

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

doing wrote: »
    The question is, what level of detail when you cite the case law are they looking for?

Is it enough to simply reference the precise precedent the case set without going into the background of the case? EG if you were doing a question that covered Intention to Create Legal Relations could you just say -

"A precisely drafted and signed document (Haggar v DePlacido 1972) or serious oaths taken in front of witnesses (Hamer v Sidway 1891) can offset the presumption that there are no legal intentions in agreements struck between immediate (Leahy v Rawson 2003) family members."

- without going into the background of those cases? Or is more needed?

I'd be grateful if anyone could help me here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

How much detail? I have a few of these passed but am no expert, in my answers I would generally give the name of the case and one or two lines concisely giving the main point of the judgement and tie it in to my overall answer on the substantive point. I wouldn't write out the whole case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I'd be grateful if anyone could help me here.

First time doing the exams so not sure how much they are actually looking for, but from looking at the griffith sample answers and the examiners reports it does look like a little detail has to be done for the case law. I'll be doing it, if I can remember the info on the case law that is haha! But as the poster said above, no need to go into huge detail, I'm hoping 5-10 lines will be sufficent, slight bit about the facts if needed and then onto the legal principle/finding and apply it. I'd say examiners love if you have a case with facts similar to the problem question.

Anyone have any tips they could put up? Not necessarily going to rely on them as I know they aren't certainties but just want to compare them to what I've done and maybe see if I could add in a topic. Have 8-9 topics covered for each of the 4 subjects I'm doing. Hopefully this will be enough! Just trying to learn it all off now and make concise notes on everything for quick revision the day of the exam.

Also, what is the story with getting legislation, where can you get it, as I'll want to bring in the succession act 1965 but we can't just print it off the net? And how does it work with bringing it in? Do you just bring it to the Redcow the day before the exam and they hand it back the next morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

chops018 wrote: »
    First time doing the exams so not sure how much they are actually looking for, but from looking at the griffith sample answers and the examiners reports it does look like a little detail has to be done for the case law. I'll be doing it, if I can remember the info on the case law that is haha! But as the poster said above, no need to go into huge detail, I'm hoping 5-10 lines will be sufficent, slight bit about the facts if needed and then onto the legal principle/finding and apply it. I'd say examiners love if you have a case with facts similar to the problem question.

5-10 lines a case? With the contract exam the examiner literally examines at least 5 topics a question, that's a lot of case law...

Still if that's how it is then that's how it. Thanks for answering.

5-10 lines a case? With the contract exam the examiner literally examines at least 5 topics a question, that's a lot of case law...

Still if that's how it is then that's how it. Thanks for answering.

Yeah I know what you mean, it is easier said than done.. I'm just hoping to be able to give a bit of knowledge on the cases anyway. I'll see how time is running in the exam haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ella2012

Hi, sitting eu fe1 exam in two weeks and wondering where is the best place to buy Eu legislation needed for exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Ella2012 wrote: »
    Hi, sitting eu fe1 exam in two weeks and wondering where is the best place to buy Eu legislation needed for exam?

University libraries usually stock the blackstones Legislation or try amazon.co.uk, I bought the companies acts off amazon, worked out cheaper but just make sure to check the delivery time and estimated delivery date so you'll get it on time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

chops018 wrote: »
    Anyone have any tips they could put up? Not necessarily going to rely on them as I know they aren't certainties but just want to compare them to what I've done and maybe see if I could add in a topic. Have 8-9 topics covered for each of the 4 subjects I'm doing. Hopefully this will be enough! Just trying to learn it all off now and make concise notes on everything for quick revision the day of the exam.

Also, what is the story with getting legislation, where can you get it, as I'll want to bring in the succession act 1965 but we can't just print it off the net? And how does it work with bringing it in? Do you just bring it to the Redcow the day before the exam and they hand it back the next morning?

Man, you need to get your ass in gear! :D The exams are startingnext week and there's a holiday weekend in between! You'll get the 65 Act from the Gov't Publications Office, Google it. You might also get it in a decent bookshop or a college bookshop. As for the day before, well, if you have an exam the day before hand it in then. Otherwise, don't go specially with it, hand it in well before the exam on the morning and you'll be fine, they'll drop it to your desk about 30 minutes into the exam. Remember you can highlight, tab and underline but not write anything, and put your exam number on the cover. You need to be getting familiar with the Act asap, and getting your tabs and so on sorted out. I use different colour tabs and highlighters by topic, eg in the Companies' Acts I have green for directors, orange for liquidators etc, it puts some sort of rough order on the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Avatargh

Well from reading the paper, yes certain things do reappear like non delegation, 38, justice in public etc. However, I would be wary of cutting out the course as the topics do mix and I'm merely warning based on my own experience of people cutting off their nose to spite their face. The course is huge and if you run the risk of only doing X amount of topics, you could end up not being able to answer whats on the paper. But that is just my humble opinion, I'm merely passing on info that I got from a prep course from someone who knows their stuff who expressly didn't give tips and told us to cover as much as possible.

I'm not doing occupiers as I feel that I've done so much that to cram in anymore would result in my brain pushing out something important! Don't think that it came up last sitting but at this stage, I just cannot be arsed anymore..

Yes, but what you said was "there is no telling with this examiner" and that the paper appears "random" which just isn't right. Its far from "random".

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Man, you need to get your ass in gear! :D The exams are startingnext week and there's a holiday weekend in between! You'll get the 65 Act from the Gov't Publications Office, Google it. You might also get it in a decent bookshop or a college bookshop. As for the day before, well, if you have an exam the day before hand it in then. Otherwise, don't go specially with it, hand it in well before the exam on the morning and you'll be fine, they'll drop it to your desk about 30 minutes into the exam. Remember you can highlight, tab and underline but not write anything, and put your exam number on the cover. You need to be getting familiar with the Act asap, and getting your tabs and so on sorted out. I use different colour tabs and highlighters by topic, eg in the Companies' Acts I have green for directors, orange for liquidators etc, it puts some sort of rough order on the process.

Cheers JC, I'm not starting till friday the 23rd, just trying to learn all the stuff I've covered off now. But realised I may get on the legislation as it could be very useful. Just rang and ordered what I need there anyway, should be here in a couple of days.. something off my mind anyway, also I might do what you say and hand the legislation in the morning of the exam as I will probably arrive a good bit early so I can get some revision done up there. Exams getting way too close haha! Cramming and panicking being done!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

Yes, but what you said was "there is no telling with this examiner" and that the paper appears "random" which just isn't right. Its far from "random".

I stand by it and I do think that with such a broad range of topics to choose from, it is difficult to predict with any degree of certainty (a)what is going to come up and (b)the way in which it will be asked. I think you're just getting into a pissing competition and derailing the thread with your nit-picking about use of words.

Hi all, little bit of panic for equity now as I just trying to learn off all the stuff I covered, I have the following done:

Purpose Trusts,
    Charitable Trusts,
    Duty to Invest,
    Undue Influence to Third Parties,
    Interlocutory Injunctions and Mareva Injunctions (thinking of throwing in Anton Piller),
    Proprietary Estoppel,
    Specific Performance/Rectification,
    The Three Certainties.

Should that cover me for 5 questions or should I throw in maybe one more area, it's so hard to know what to go with and I don't want to be wrecking my head with adding new topics, just want to be learning stuff off at this stage. There is 4 full topics above, and 4 partly covered topics too i.e. not all injunctions are covered, duty to invest and UI to third parties, specific performance and rectification I only have what I felt important covered.

I'm spending today learning the above off but wondering now whether I should get another topic in; anyone any ideas of what would be a decent topic to add to this or should I just keep at learning the above off?

wondering the best topics to focus on for eu exam?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

Hey guys

Just wondering what everyone is leaving out for constitutional....

Think im def leaving out
    the preamble
    amending the constitution
    nation, people, state soverignty
    emergency and war
    international law
    right to silence
    abortion
    religion
    freedom of assembly/association

too much to leave out? Still covering 18 chapters (although some in more depth than others). Anyone think i would be able to leave out anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Fe1erere

Hey all, i'm wondering if you absolutely need to bring in the Succession Act for the Property exam (i've covered the topics and have the relevant sections covered), i feel that it would be great for peace of mind, however, it could consume time. Anyone with experience shed a little light?
    Also, if anyone has done the Constitutional exam, how essential is it to have the constitution? Same problem..
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

birdie89 wrote: »
    Hey guys

Just wondering what everyone is leaving out for constitutional....

Think im def leaving out
    the preamble
    amending the constitution
    nation, people, state soverignty
    emergency and war
    international law
    right to silence
    abortion
    religion
    freedom of assembly/association

too much to leave out? Still covering 18 chapters (although some in more depth than others). Anyone think i would be able to leave out anything else?

I dont think its wise to leave out the right to silence. International Law is good to know even if you have an 'understanding' of it. Its the same with religon. There are some very important cases that touch on religon that are relevant in other topics.

• Advertisement

Fe1erere wrote: »
    Hey all, i'm wondering if you absolutely need to bring in the Succession Act for the Property exam (i've covered the topics and have the relevant sections covered), i feel that it would be great for peace of mind, however, it could consume time. Anyone with experience shed a little light?
    Also, if anyone has done the Constitutional exam, how essential is it to have the constitution? Same problem..
    Thanks

I'm in the same boat as you - thought it would just consume valuable study time going up to hand it in the day before. Ordered the act today, cost 7 euro ish. They said it should be delivered in the next few days, I think I'll prefer to have it, will be great to have for the succession questions I'm assuming!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement