Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

yep Indo one is very good - passed Constitutional with it alone from a poor base!

Disagree there. I am doing Constitutional this time round... whilst it does have all the info there is far too much in it. One some cases they literally printed 4 pages of the judgment. That is completely unnecessary and makes studying much more difficult. All you need is the key points of the judgment and then bullet points about why the case is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

overall I'd say the constitutional manual from independent is good as it doesn't seem to omit anything and everything seems to flow logically which allows you to follow it. bit on the detailed side alright but better that than too little.
    as for their criminal and equity manuals, jesus christ. how can a law manual have glaring inaccuracies with regard to the law? not just a typo. e.g. the manual says consent is not a defence to assault causing harm under s.3 NFOATPA, which it is. It says mens rea for a syringe offence under s.6 can only be satisfied by intent, but in actual fact recklessness will suffice too. who wrote the bloody thing? ciaran patton seems to be an excellent lecturer and i think he made reference to the first mistake in lectures but still, for 400euro a subject the standard should be higher.

The equity manual gets cases mixed up which is very confusing. If i didn't have recourse to the Delany book I'd be very confused on a few issues. Don't think I'm going to pay 1600 euro for the next 4 exams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

The Freedom of Expression chapter in the Griffith manual just makes you want to vomit. Seriously, he used 3 pages for a cut and paste of the Bladet Tromso judgment, something that can be summed up in a few bullet points.

I opine that this learned author would want to realise he's not working as a legendary constitutional scholar - he writes the "Less Stress, More Success" for the FE1s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 kerrygirl84

does anyone have the criminal or equity manual from Griffith?? Is whats do you think of them??

Also what are the core chapters to learn from criminal anyone????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Dan133269 wrote: »
    as for their criminal and equity manuals, jesus christ. how can a law manual have glaring inaccuracies with regard to the law? not just a typo. e.g. the manual says consent is not a defence to assault causing harm under s.3 NFOATPA, which it is. It says mens rea for a syringe offence under s.6 can only be satisfied by intent, but in actual fact recklessness will suffice too. who wrote the bloody thing?

Not forgetting "rape is a gender-neutral offence" !!! There are loads of typos in it too including the parties to cases misspelled, which makes it very difficult to look up the case if you need further information, the wrong year or section of legislation cited. Far too much of the lengthy quoting from judgments (usually preceded by "it is worth quoting at length" erm no it's not) and many topics covered only in sketch although the past exams show that they need detail. I had to laugh at the latest Examiner's Report which says that in answering questions about the presumption of innocence it is not sufficient just to write about O'Leary and Hardy ... erm maybe the reason so many candidates are only writing about O'Leary and Hardy is because that's all our manuals cover?

Still I have to say that the Indo property manual takes the biscuit - it is woeful and doesn't even cover some of the topics on the syllabus and many of those it does cover are covered inadequately. Basically it's just a C&P of the De Londras book (more C than P I'm afraid) and when additional text is included it looks like someone just transcribed their lecture notes without editing them into actual sentences ...

Well that's my rant for the morning over, sorry :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jimbobby

Hey,
    I'm desperately seeking access to the Past Exam Bank from Griffith
    Moodle for Constitutional and Company. I'm currently taking Tort and
    EU courses in Griffith and find the solutions invaluable, so would
    really appreciate it if anyone who has downloaded the Constitutional
    and Company exam solutions could get in contact with me.

If anyone needs the Tort and EU solutions il gladly forward them on.

Cheers,

James.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 TinaMoran

I have griffith books for all 8 FE1 subjects so if anyone is interested email me on martinamoran@eircom.net.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭brian__foley

TheVan wrote: »
    The Freedom of Expression chapter in the Griffith manual just makes you want to vomit. Seriously, he used 3 pages for a cut and paste of the Bladet Tromso judgment, something that can be summed up in a few bullet points.

I opine that this learned author would want to realise he's not working as a legendary constitutional scholar - he writes the "Less Stress, More Success" for the FE1s.

Researching some freedom of expression case law brought me to this. I'm loathe to be involved in this forum for obvious reasons as it can be perceived as uber-sleazy, but just on this point - maybe this might help; www.brianfoley.ie/A10ECHRBulletPoint.pdf

I hope the link works. That is NOT copyright of Griffith College, but my own, and so there are no restrictions on using it etc. Its on my own webspace etc. Hope it cures some of the problems which I encountered when teaching that subject. I tried to privately message you the same, but I need 25 posts to do so - anyway...use it if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 windofchange

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    Not forgetting "rape is a gender-neutral offence" !!! There are loads of typos in it too including the parties to cases misspelled, which makes it very difficult to look up the case if you need further information, the wrong year or section of legislation cited. Far too much of the lengthy quoting from judgments (usually preceded by "it is worth quoting at length" erm no it's not) and many topics covered only in sketch although the past exams show that they need detail. I had to laugh at the latest Examiner's Report which says that in answering questions about the presumption of innocence it is not sufficient just to write about O'Leary and Hardy ... erm maybe the reason so many candidates are only writing about O'Leary and Hardy is because that's all our manuals cover?

Still I have to say that the Indo property manual takes the biscuit - it is woeful and doesn't even cover some of the topics on the syllabus and many of those it does cover are covered inadequately. Basically it's just a C&P of the De Londras book (more C than P I'm afraid) and when additional text is included it looks like someone just transcribed their lecture notes without editing them into actual sentences ...

Well that's my rant for the morning over, sorry :o

Dandelion6!!! I knew I recalled the name from somewhere...on a different thread I think you raised a problem with Griffith materials when you did the legal exec course. I said in the sam thread (I can't interlink the bits)

"Just one thing though, if you did the legal exec course last year, wouldn't that be the course set up etc by the very people who this whole post are extolling as the ones to follow? I dont even have the diploma and was thinking about trying to get it before FE1's, but I had read your posts in other places re the textbook etc and your problems with it. TI see you're talking about admin here which may be different, but I had read other times on here you were really hammering the manual and the course materials. Am I getting that wrong?"

And then you said

"Hi windofchange

I guess I'm hoping that the administration problems at Griffith were behind the problems with the materials as well, as in maybe at Independent they at least will have someone edit them before they're finalised (that would have made a big difference in the Griffith materials). The administrators at Griffith haven't moved to Independent so I'm not "following" them ... and it sounds as though Pamela is really on the ball, which has been my experience of her so far as well.

You don't need to get the legal exec diploma before starting the FE1s. Most people don't do it that way. Although I am hoping that, having done it, it will give me a bit of a head start smile.gif"

I continued with Griffith like we discussed, but are you talking about the Independent materials being poor now? That would seem to reflect the point I was (badly) trying to make about how the time period when you had your bad experience...did problems occur at Independent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Hi windofchange

Yes unfortunately the manual at Griffith that I was particularly unhappy with was the Criminal one. At the time I enrolled at Independent they were supposed to have a different Criminal lecturer so I didn't think that was going to carry over!!!! But it did and now I have an FE1 manual that is essentially an expanded version of the manual I was using on the Griffith ILEX course, with all the same problems ...

However I've found that the administration at Independent is much better than it was at Griffith, so I'm happy about that. And the manuals for my other subjects (apart from Property) seem ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 McShmee

I'm using a 2008 Independent Property manual.
    Seeing the opinions of other posters on certain manuals, I'm wondering if, at about 140 pages long, this manual contains enough detail to cover what is a large property syllabus?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

McShmee wrote: »
    Seeing the opinions of other posters on certain manuals, I'm wondering if, at about 140 pages long, this manual contains enough detail to cover what is a large property syllabus?

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

Last year I left property to the very end... really didn't give it enough time, used the Independent manual for a couple of days before the exam and managed to get my best mark in it :confused:. Down to luck no doubt... but yes there is enough in it to get you through the paper. Certainly better than digging out Wylie or Lyall at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Aprilsunshine

McShmee wrote: »

Any thoughts?
    Thanks.

It is more than enough. I did well because of it with no other sources - couldn't face a textbook as I hate landlaw. It is concise but how much do you plan to write in a 30 min answer? Seriously - it passed me that exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Nursingdilema

I have tried every mechanism. I have sat a exam 5 times, would I have any option's to carry my 3 years studying?

There are lots of ways to study, poem's, dicatphone, memo pads,writing stuff out alot,reading, I got all my exam except this one module.

I don't know if i csn carry my other years of studying nursing?

hi. I need help with equity. So i am currently studying Quia Timet injunctions and in the Griffith Manual, it distinguishes between interlocutory and perpetual quia Timet injunctions but Delaney does not. In the exam if a question refers specifically to an interlocutory Quia Timet Injunction, do i only talk about interlocutory Quia Timet Injunction or can i also talk about the perpetual Quia Timet Injunction (like Delaney does).....????? Please help!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

hi. I need help with equity. So i am currently studying Quia Timet injunctions and in the Griffith Manual, it distinguishes between interlocutory and perpetual quia Timet injunctions but Delaney does not. In the exam if a question refers specifically to an interlocutory Quia Timet Injunction, do i only talk about interlocutory Quia Timet Injunction or can i also talk about the perpetual Quia Timet Injunction (like Delaney does).....????? Please help!!!

I think Delany does differentiate between the two, at the start of talking about the Szabo case does she not mention something about the difference between the two? can't remember off hand

looking for and Equity Manual if anyone has one??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rumpole

Hey,

does anyone have any predictions as to what is coming up in constitutional and contract????

My brain is fried with these bloody exams!! Cheers.

The same broad topics come up in Contract virtually every year - so just look at the past papers and you will get an idea. Nobody can predict precise questions and the examiner has a tendency to mix topics. But, as I said, the same broad topics every year.

Constitutional, the examiner seems very erratic but you are always going to get at least one question on both your rights to Due Process under Art 38.1 and also Personal Rights.

Nice username by the way :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

Has anyone gotten their information pack yet for the fe1's?

Like the rules/exam number etc?

I remember getting an acknowledgment in the post for my fee but nothing else.

:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rumpole

Thanks for that Johnfas, I need all the help and advice I can get, speaking of which anyone have pearls of wisdom re tort and crim

Catch88 I think the pack is due about 2 weeks before the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Sparky14

Are there any particular areas of Company Law that are being tipped to come up this sitting? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

For the Company Law exam, there is a choice of three different sources you can bring into the exam. Which one should I get and where can I get it? Thanks.

Farcear wrote: »
    For the Company Law exam, there is a choice of three different sources you can bring into the exam. Which one should I get and where can I get it? Thanks.

Get the Tottel one, has a pink cover, and you can get it in Hodge Figgis. It is about the cheapest and most manageable one. They are all the same at the end of the day and if you are too reliant on them you won't do well in the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aoifegwalsh

anybody any hot tips for the march session of exams????????

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aoifegwalsh

Farcear wrote: »
    hey i think it would be worth your while looking at directors (duties/150 restriction/loans to directors 31,disclosure) and liquidation(ors)/ receivership(ors)......

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

catch88 wrote: »
    Has anyone gotten their information pack yet for the fe1's?

Like the rules/exam number etc?

I remember getting an acknowledgment in the post for my fee but nothing else.

:confused::confused::confused:

Got my exam number today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 jtothesums

Hi I'm due to sit my last fe-1 in 2weeks which is EU. I didnt do the subject as part of my undergrad degree (I did the other 7though) and I'm finding it really tough. A lot of people say the exam is predictable and a startling number of people chose it as one of the 1st four they sit! I have griffith notes but I'm still terrified of the subject. The questions are long on the exam papers and its such a technical subject as well. does anybody have any tips as to what the essestial areas to cover are? Have griffith, fe-1 direct or Independent colleges given any predictions about what might come up? I would appreciate any help. If I can help with any of the other 7 exams I'm willing to answer any questions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

With three days to go till kick off I'm having a minor freak out here as I've completely confused myself over mens rea for murder.
    So just a quick question re Mens Rea in criminal. What is the leading authority re: intent? The way I have things worked out is as follows:

Hyam said foresight could be inferred if serious injury was probable, then
    Maloney comes along and requires near overwhelming probability to infer intent,
    Hancock then deemed Maloney unsafe and restores Hyam as the leading authority.
    In Ireland we still go by requirement of "probability" for murder, as per Hyam, whereas in the UK they've gone for a stricter test since then of Nedrick requiring the defendant to be "virtually certain" to infer intent.

However, all that case law makes my head hurt, and I've convinced myself I've gotten things muddled up somewhere along the way, so...do we follow Hyam and require injury to have been probable to infer foresight, or is it the Maloney/Nedrick approach of overwhelming probability?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ldjohnsull

If anyone has Company, EU, Criminal, Contract or Tort manuals, plus notes, i would be interested in buying them. Even if you don't have all of the above, email me and let me know what you do have. thanks. Email: johnosullivan245@hotmail.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement