Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DaleWinton

birdie89 wrote: »
    Hey guys

Just wondering what everyone is leaving out for constitutional....

Think im def leaving out
    the preamble
    amending the constitution
    nation, people, state soverignty
    emergency and war
    international law
    right to silence
    abortion
    religion
    freedom of assembly/association

too much to leave out? Still covering 18 chapters (although some in more depth than others). Anyone think i would be able to leave out anything else?

Looks safe enough that you'll have 5 questions anyway. I sat it in the last sitting and remember raging because pretty straightforward questions came up on Religion and Abortion and if I had studied them they would have been handy marks. Also wasn't able/didn't want to touch the case note question because its notoriously difficult to score well on, so was left with no option other than do the other 5 questions and there were some tricky problem questions there.

Managed to pass in the end, but if only I had studied the two areas I might have managed to avoid the near cardiac arrest I suffered when I first looked at the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Personally im doing Defamation and ill be doing occupiers liability - as for liab for fire - no way! On some papers there seems to be an obscure question which you cant prepare for because its off the wall and rarely comes up! But hey defamation prob wont come up now or occupiers liab and then fire will!!! but hey Sh*t happens! You can only do your best and go for it.

I hear what your saying - likewise with property Treasure trove has been on the paper too many times - do i think it will come up again??? no - but i cant leave it out due to the pattern!

Good luck folks 8 days and counting!!! those night b4 study notes from one of the colleges would be good now to really focus on each topic!!! back to it!!!!!

My own opinion is that defamation will come up. There has been some high profile news stories involving Twitter, Facebook etc. that a possible essay question would be entirely relevant to current affairs. I will be banking on a defamation essay question.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

hola chicas,

taking a break from the mountain of paper that my bedroom has turned into because i would like to bounce my ideas off you guys and see what ye think- sitting 5 subjects in march- have already sent away my indentures pack for PPC1 and due to start my TC in June so pressure is on to get these exams

constitutional- i sat this in october and i got 48%- on a recheck they brought me up to 49- no joke. It really sucked but i am over it. Topics I am covering are: SOP, due process, interpretation, president, ag, oireachtas (election issues), locus standi, all unenumerated rights, equality, family, education, private property and religion. I went to the Griffith one day revision course thing about two weeks ago and Langwallner said that the examiner asks case note questions when he has nothing left to ask or feels uninspired and because of this, he would not be surprised if there was a question on sth obscure like justice, prudence and charity or prerogatives this time around. I am not going to bother with obscurities but just wondering if any of ye have any thoughts on this? :confused:

property i hate this subject so much, i find it insanely boring but i'm covering succession, adverse possession, easements, licences, family property, co-ownership and finding/treasure trove- my dream paper would be 2 successions, AP, easement and TT. I am not bothering with any of the less modern stuff i.e. influence equity, estates, registered and unregistered land etc. Hope this won't be the paper where she chooses to ask all the yucky stuff of times gone by. :(

equity last time around for equity i think i studied every single topic that did not come up on the paper, i pretty much covered every breed of a trust and the paper was very equity heavy imo. This time around i have covered maxims, injunctions (esp mareva, quia timet and anton piller), estoppel, undue influence, tracing, donatio mortis causa, secret trusts, resulting trusts (would love automatic RT and quistclose q), charitable trusts, cy-pres, purpose trusts. Do you guys think this would be enough? I know i am leaving out SP, trustees, rectification but imo they have come up alot in last few sittings so i reckon other things might be due a run- dream paper- problem q on quia timet or essay for mareva/anton piller, undue influence, estoppel, donatio problem q, secret trusts prob, charitable and cy-pres problem, automatic resulting trusts problem, tracing problem- actually that seems like a lot of problems! Does anybody have any inclinations- i know they are all speculative but they are interesting nonetheless- Ross Aylward did little more than state what i had already assumed myself from looking at grids etc. :rolleyes:

EU weird thing is, i actually kinda like EU law, i like the dynamic. a few months ago i hated it because i had to wrap my head around lisbon etc but i have come to kind of like it, even though it's still hard to keep all of it in my head. i think this is the one i would prob be most worried about too if i am honest topics wise. Every year there are 5 bankers- direct effect/supremacy, FMOG, FMOP and citizenship, competition and institutions- even tho examiner in last few sittings has kinda done one freaky thing per paper by leaving out one of the bankers as he did with FMOG in october.:eek: Having spent hours compiling notes on FMOP, i am praying he will still put up 3 part prob q as per, but that seems to be one of the bankers that he hasn't messed with yet, as is the supremacy, DE, MSL question. Topics wise, what i am definitely covering is institutions, impact national legal systems, preliminary reference procedure (surely due a run!), FMOG, FMOP and citizenship, competition, state aid. I am considering adding a few more less in depth bulleted subtopics like competences, fundamental rights, mergers (Jennie Goode thinks he will ask mergers again) and maybe enforcements/annulments but that seems unlikely. I know you can never really prepare for the case note question but i would be hoping that the topics i have covered would at least get me four full questions and a hail mary shot at the casenote q for 5th if i was stuck. I would be really interested in your opinions on this.

contract again this is one where i am pretty much covering everything- formation, privity, capacity, illegal and void Ks, discharge, remedies, voiding and vitiating factors, exclusion clauses, terms- the only substantive topic on syllabus that i am completely ignoring is the consumer stuff, even though truth be told i am expecting a question on it because i think this will be the first paper the new contract examiner actually sets and she loves consumer protection afaik. topics mix so much, it's hard to tell? Are people expecting any major changes to structure of paper this time around? :confused:

very much looking forward to your views and best of luck everybody with your studies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Hey, hope the study is going well for everyone!

Would anyone be kind enough to share a Tort grid with me pretty pretty please....??

Any tips/recommendations for the Tort exam...... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Awfull Lawfull

Im sitting Company,Equity EU and Criminal.Is their anyone else doing the same, and starting next week ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

contract

because i think this will be the first paper the new contract examiner actually sets and she loves consumer protection afaik. topics mix so much, it's hard to tell? Are people expecting any major changes to structure of paper this time around? :confused:

very much looking forward to your views and best of luck everybody with your studies :)

There's a new contract examiner?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

doing wrote: »
    There's a new contract examiner?

The October exam was his first paper.

contract again this is one where i am pretty much covering everything- formation, privity, capacity, illegal and void Ks, discharge, remedies, voiding and vitiating factors, exclusion clauses, terms- the only substantive topic on syllabus that i am completely ignoring is the consumer stuff, even though truth be told i am expecting a question on it because i think this will be the first paper the new contract examiner actually sets and she loves consumer protection afaik. topics mix so much, it's hard to tell? Are people expecting any major changes to structure of paper this time around? :confused:

Cliona Kelly is new examiner- she corrected the exam in october but i'm not certain she actually sat paper- i'd brace myself for changes to structure of exam but i expect it to be substantively the same in terms of topics etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

If time only allowed for mistake or exclusion clauses, with mostly all other topics covered which would be better to do or leave off contract?

mistake is really important, especially unilateral, i wouldn't leave it out just in case its mixed in a problem- sometimes it's mixed with formation Ks in a problem, that would be sweet question. I'd say mistake is one of the most important voiding and vitiating factors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

hola chicas,

taking a break from the mountain of paper that my bedroom has turned into because i would like to bounce my ideas off you guys and see what ye think- sitting 5 subjects in march- have already sent away my indentures pack for PPC1 and due to start my TC in June so pressure is on to get these exams

constitutional- i sat this in october and i got 48%- on a recheck they brought me up to 49- no joke. It really sucked but i am over it. Topics I am covering are: SOP, due process, interpretation, president, ag, oireachtas (election issues), locus standi, all unenumerated rights, equality, family, education, private property and religion. I went to the Griffith one day revision course thing about two weeks ago and Langwallner said that the examiner asks case note questions when he has nothing left to ask or feels uninspired and because of this, he would not be surprised if there was a question on sth obscure like justice, prudence and charity or prerogatives this time around. I am not going to bother with obscurities but just wondering if any of ye have any thoughts on this? :confused:

property i hate this subject so much, i find it insanely boring but i'm covering succession, adverse possession, easements, licences, family property, co-ownership and finding/treasure trove- my dream paper would be 2 successions, AP, easement and TT. I am not bothering with any of the less modern stuff i.e. influence equity, estates, registered and unregistered land etc. Hope this won't be the paper where she chooses to ask all the yucky stuff of times gone by. :(

equity last time around for equity i think i studied every single topic that did not come up on the paper, i pretty much covered every breed of a trust and the paper was very equity heavy imo. This time around i have covered maxims, injunctions (esp mareva, quia timet and anton piller), estoppel, undue influence, tracing, donatio mortis causa, secret trusts, resulting trusts (would love automatic RT and quistclose q), charitable trusts, cy-pres, purpose trusts. Do you guys think this would be enough? I know i am leaving out SP, trustees, rectification but imo they have come up alot in last few sittings so i reckon other things might be due a run- dream paper- problem q on quia timet or essay for mareva/anton piller, undue influence, estoppel, donatio problem q, secret trusts prob, charitable and cy-pres problem, automatic resulting trusts problem, tracing problem- actually that seems like a lot of problems! Does anybody have any inclinations- i know they are all speculative but they are interesting nonetheless- Ross Aylward did little more than state what i had already assumed myself from looking at grids etc. :rolleyes:

EU weird thing is, i actually kinda like EU law, i like the dynamic. a few months ago i hated it because i had to wrap my head around lisbon etc but i have come to kind of like it, even though it's still hard to keep all of it in my head. i think this is the one i would prob be most worried about too if i am honest topics wise. Every year there are 5 bankers- direct effect/supremacy, FMOG, FMOP and citizenship, competition and institutions- even tho examiner in last few sittings has kinda done one freaky thing per paper by leaving out one of the bankers as he did with FMOG in october.:eek: Having spent hours compiling notes on FMOP, i am praying he will still put up 3 part prob q as per, but that seems to be one of the bankers that he hasn't messed with yet, as is the supremacy, DE, MSL question. Topics wise, what i am definitely covering is institutions, impact national legal systems, preliminary reference procedure (surely due a run!), FMOG, FMOP and citizenship, competition, state aid. I am considering adding a few more less in depth bulleted subtopics like competences, fundamental rights, mergers (Jennie Goode thinks he will ask mergers again) and maybe enforcements/annulments but that seems unlikely. I know you can never really prepare for the case note question but i would be hoping that the topics i have covered would at least get me four full questions and a hail mary shot at the casenote q for 5th if i was stuck. I would be really interested in your opinions on this.

I'm similar enough to you with regard property. Contract I'm the same, covering most topics bar a few, not going near consumer protection, didn't know that the new examiner loves it otherwise I would have prepared it, too late to be doing new topics now though. Equity I'm the same as you with 5 topics, gonna be covering RT with regard joint bank accounts though aswell. Not doing EU or Const. this time, really hoping to get 3 out of the 4 this sitting aswell then I can relax a bit. Good luck in your studies, and fair play with the training contract!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ryan606

Hey, would anyone have an Oct 10 Criminal Sample Answers they could send on? One quest on the paper is frustrating me! I have loads of company, equity, property and constitutional I can send on in exchange! Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

What are people focusing on for Company? I find this subject so tedious and boring - I'm concentrating on Directors,Restrictions & Dissqualifications, Shareholder Protection, Exam/Rec/Liq, UV, SLP, Borrowing and Meetings.. Are there any bankers that I'm leaving out?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

hola chicas,

Hey, Im in pretty much exactly the same situation as you, even sitting the same 5 subjects...really worried that Il fail constitutional or something and have a whole year waiting around :S Im doing about the same stuff as you, Iv left a little more out of contract (exclusion clauses), but Im trying to cover alot of equity as I totally screwed myself over in the last sitting by leaving out too much and not having 5 questions! Best of luck with the study, constitutional is soooooo long

Hey, Im in pretty much exactly the same situation as you, even sitting the same 5 subjects...really worried that Il fail constitutional or something and have a whole year waiting around :S Im doing about the same stuff as you, Iv left a little more out of contract (exclusion clauses), but Im trying to cover alot of equity as I totally screwed myself over in the last sitting by leaving out too much and not having 5 questions! Best of luck with the study, constitutional is soooooo long

i hear you, constitutional is really hard to call. I just can't tell with it, i thought i passed it last oct and i liked that paper but i only got 48 and when i applied for a recheck i was put up to 49 which is beyond doubt completely irritating but that's the way the cookie crumbles- it's just really hard after coming within a whisker to move on. If i had failed by like 10% or something or even if he took a mark off me in the recheck, i don't really know where i went wrong if you know what i mean, and so my confidence is a little dented in constitutional now. Funnily enough, i quite like the subject but hate the exam.

thing with constitutional is not about cutting topics out but covering as much as is humanly possible and the constitutional examiner really wants independent thought and input aswell i think. All we know is that he loves SOP, he loves rights and he loves due process- really hoping he doesn't decide to launch in a case note q this time around again.

i know what you mean about equity- i was screwed over on that in march too, i pretty much did everything that didn't come up, it was so sickening. I thought the paper was really equity heavy last time around so hoping trusts will make more of an appearance because apparently it's easier to do better in questions on trusts. I hate tracing, cannot ever remember doing it at undergrad, but i have prepared it this time around cos it looks like it is due a run. i think the equity examiner might be a hard marker also, just impression i got from talking to people at courses etc.

and my approach to contract is just know enough about alot to get you through- cases really hard to learn, trying to suck it up, not overly killing myself with the facts though because there simply is not enough time in the exam where there could be multiple qs. Just some advice, Brian Foley recommended doing the essay questions first and then tackling problems because the essays are usually straightforward and problems are only getting longer and longer with more issues to spot- now for contract my preference is problems but that's his advice all the same.

on a personal note, so glad someone out there is in same position as i am- i.e. 5 exams and due to start in June. i'm just praying to god my topics will come up, examiners please just give me a chance to write about what i have learned!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28 erinp

Hi
    I'm studying from the 10/11 Griffith College Manual and unfortunately didn't get any past papers with it when I bought it. I have no idea what the questions are like in Company and am starting to feel a tad worried. Does anyone have any tips?
    And in relation to the new Bill- how much do we need to know about it???
    Thanks and good luck to all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

.. i only got 48 and when i applied for a recheck i was put up to 49

That is appalling, it's like a cat playing with a mouse. I spoke to a girl I know last week, she's now a practising solicitor. Constitutional was her last paper, and she appealed a 43. There was a year's delay riding on it. It came back at 50...

Having heard the constitutional examiner speak in person in UCD, and having read his reports, and having passed it, I personally think he definitely means it when he says he has no pattern so predicting his moves from the grids isn't as reliable as it might be with other examiners. He is hot on rights as has been said here already, he doesn't like people who seem to only know what's in manuals, he wants you to read the major cases particularly the recent ones, and he expects you to take guidance from his remarks in his reports. The fact that his personal views on important recent cases are known is extremely useful, you should read those cases and what he said on them to get a 'feel' for how he sees constitutional law. It will serve you well in all your answers, but you could get very lucky in a case-note question - I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lolita60

Would anyone have sample answers on Mareva Injunctions?? Willing to swap for others!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 copious

lolita60 wrote: »
    Would anyone have sample answers on Mareva Injunctions?? Willing to swap for others!!

are they tipped? is there a good chance theyl come up do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lolita60

copious wrote: »
    are they tipped? is there a good chance theyl come up do you think?

Its due to come up... Hasnt featured since Oct 09!! Or Anton Pillar but I'm only doing Mareva!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 copious

oh really! i dont have an up to date grid so no clue what was in the last 2 sittings! pm me cause i have a few sets of sample answers

JCJCJC wrote: »
    That is appalling, it's like a cat playing with a mouse. I spoke to a girl I know last week, she's now a practising solicitor. Constitutional was her last paper, and she appealed a 43. There was a year's delay riding on it. It came back at 50...

Having heard the constitutional examiner speak in person in UCD, and having read his reports, and having passed it, I personally think he definitely means it when he says he has no pattern so predicting his moves from the grids isn't as reliable as it might be with other examiners. He is hot on rights as has been said here already, he doesn't like people who seem to only know what's in manuals, he wants you to read the major cases particularly the recent ones, and he expects you to take guidance from his remarks in his reports. The fact that his personal views on important recent cases are known is extremely useful, you should read those cases and what he said on them to get a 'feel' for how he sees constitutional law. It will serve you well in all your answers, but you could get very lucky in a case-note question - I did.

tell me about it, it's cruelty of the highest degree imo to leave somebody on 49. That's great advice JC, thanks. I remember seeing on this thread a while back the key cases Carolan gave a conference on a few weeks back, must dig them out again, aside from that, have you any particular tips or guidance or do any cases spring out to you? Studied constitutional law in 2006/2007 so truly need to bridge the gap, did both griffith online and one day revision course, have griffith and independent college manuals and still feeling no more confident than i did in october! leaving nothing to chance this time around! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

• Registered Users Posts: 17 -splatto-

Can anybody tell me what is the best legislation to bring into company and eu law?on the sheet sent out to us by the law library they seem to give us a choice...either a lot of legislation (for example all of the company acts) or some kind of condensed book? What are most people bringing in with them for both subjects and where is the easiest place to get them? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

JCJCJC wrote: »

Hey JC, I have that list of recent Constitutional cases but where exactly would I get Carolan's views on them?

I really like Constitutional but am fearing this exam. I'm doing 5 subjects so I just don't have the time to really engage with Constitutional law as much as I'd like to. Would it be safe to leave Privacy out? He seems to like it but it came up prominently in the last paper and City Colleges didn't pay much attention to it.. I also haven't looked at Religion..

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Awfull Lawfull

With regards to the legislation we can bring in, can we use stickies etc to mark
    Pages or will they be removed if left in ?

tell me about it, it's cruelty of the highest degree imo to leave somebody on 49. That's great advice JC, thanks. I remember seeing on this thread a while back the key cases Carolan gave a conference on a few weeks back, must dig them out again, aside from that, have you any particular tips or guidance or do any cases spring out to you? Studied constitutional law in 2006/2007 so truly need to bridge the gap, did both griffith online and one day revision course, have griffith and independent college manuals and still feeling no more confident than i did in october! leaving nothing to chance this time around! :eek:

Jeez, I graduated in 2007 so constitutional was was some while before that - it was called public law in UL and had quite a different spin to what the FE1s require. I did one GCD one-day last year and I went to EC's public lecture last year as well, that was all. You've done a bit more that I did really, you should be ok. Half the battle seems to be just correctly diagnosing what the question is about, and stay totally on the constitutional issues. For example, just chatting to people after the exam last October in relation to the question about Willie the traveller, there was a wide spread of opinion. Some thought - traveller = equality issues, straight away, yet there was no info in the fact pattern to suggest inequality of treatment, you weren't told that anybody else fared any better. I thought is was a separation of powers question, ie would a court intervene to direct the executive to provide accommodation for Willie. Maybe I was wrong, but it just shows that people will read into the question what they want to see, and we can't all be right.
    Another pet issue with EC is the right to fair procedures, he keeps repeating that it isn't a free-standing right. It only engages when another right is substantially invaded. Make that point if you can. Eg, if a County Council proposes to CPO a farm to build a motorway, the right to property and the right to earn a living are threatened. THEN the right to fair procedures lights up.
    Best of luck, all you want to see is 51, no point aiming for high nineties ;-)

MoneyMilo wrote: »
    Hey JC, I have that list of recent Constitutional cases but where exactly would I get Carolan's views on them?

I really like Constitutional but am fearing this exam. I'm doing 5 subjects so I just don't have the time to really engage with Constitutional law as much as I'd like to. Would it be safe to leave Privacy out? He seems to like it but it came up prominently in the last paper and City Colleges didn't pay much attention to it.. I also haven't looked at Religion..

Well, you'd get his views at the UCD lecture or on the handout he issues at it! Might be a bit late for that now.
    I won't say yea or nay to what to leave in or out this time because I'm not doing it so I haven't been paying it any attention because I passed in october. I had privacy covered last time, not a whole lot of religion though. There has been a bit of recent case-law on privacy, and he included it in his favs, so it might be worth a few hours of your time .....there's not really a whole lot to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Which is the best bus from Cork to Dublin if your staying in the IBISS!
    A little unsure about connections
    Aircoach
    Buseireann

• Advertisement

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Which is the best bus from Cork to Dublin if your staying in the IBISS!
    A little unsure about connections
    Aircoach
    Buserireann

Would be handy if the bus dropped you off outside the ibiss??

Petrol up and down is about 100 euro for me seems like a waist plus toll fees
    Got an exam
    Tues 20th
    Wed 21st
    Fri 23
    Wed 28

If Kavanagh's bus is any use to you they are about a third of the price of Bus Eireann or Irish Rail, but a little slower because they stop more often and detour around till gates. Kavanaghs do Dublin Airport to Limerick for 20, Bus Eireann charge 65 from Busaras. Kavanagh's are very accommodating with stops, BE might be less so. The Luas to Red Cow will drop you near enough to the Ibis anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement