Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Just for your info folks there is a special offer on trains at the moment 30 euro return from Cork to
    Dublin and you can travel any time and return within a month!

Is catching the Cork 6.15 arrive Heuston at 8:45 cutting it too short for an exam 9:30am

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Im thinking now of catching the train at 6.05am from Cork to Heuston 8.45
    30 euro day return! Study on the way up!

Would that be a mission to get from Heuston at 8.45 to the red cow for 9:30?

Im illurgic to the ibiss hotel!

No mission, just about do-able as long as the train is in on time. Use the Luas and get a return ticket...but four days @ 30 plus the luas is now more than your 100 for petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JLex

constitutional- i sat this in october and i got 48%- on a recheck they brought me up to 49- no joke. It really sucked but i am over it. Topics I am covering are: SOP, due process, interpretation, president, ag, oireachtas (election issues), locus standi, all unenumerated rights, equality, family, education, private property and religion. I went to the Griffith one day revision course thing about two weeks ago and Langwallner said that the examiner asks case note questions when he has nothing left to ask or feels uninspired and because of this, he would not be surprised if there was a question on sth obscure like justice, prudence and charity or prerogatives this time around. I am not going to bother with obscurities but just wondering if any of ye have any thoughts on this? :confused:

Hello
    i think constitutional is very predictable! this is what i am going by:
    1) Trial in due course, silence, evidence, delay, legal aid, pre trial publicity
    2) Locus standi ( pressure groups)
    3)Separation of power , delegated legislation, judicial function, fairness of procedure
    4) Unremunerated rights
    5) Equality proviso, difference of treatment, social functions,
    6) expression plus religion or expression plus fair procedure
    7) the president art 26 ref procedures
    8) Children rights, life support, baby Janice baby Paul

He repeats same questions, thats what i hope on children rights anyway :)
    hope this helps..........

JCJCJC wrote: »
    No mission, just about do-able as long as the train is in on time. Use the Luas and get a return ticket...but four days @ 30 plus the luas is now more than your 100 for petrol?

lol - its gotta be 50 squids each way plus tolls!

hmmmmmm boils down to delays - are the trains reliable time wise -

a 6.05 train is grand - but a 5.05 train means up very early - looks like the train and the ibis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

With regards to the legislation we can bring in, can we use stickies etc to mark
    Pages or will they be removed if left in ?

I think we can highlight and underline parts, don't know about sticky's!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

Another pet issue with EC is the right to fair procedures, he keeps repeating that it isn't a free-standing right. It only engages when another right is substantially invaded. Make that point if you can. Eg, if a County Council proposes to CPO a farm to build a motorway, the right to property and the right to earn a living are threatened. THEN the right to fair procedures lights up.

Just to say I think this aspect of fair procedures has changed somewhat. In Dellway v NAMA Fennelly J noted:

"It does not appear to me that it has been established that the right to be heard before a contemplated decision is made depends on establishing interference with a specific and identifiable legal right. It is difficult to discern a principled basis for restricting the right in that way. The courts have never laid down rigid rules for determining when the need to observe fair procedures applies. Everything depends on the circumstances and subject-matter. The fundamental underlying principle is fairness."

EC's notes from the lecture a weeks back state that Dellway "makes it clear that the right is a free-standing one which is not dependent on the invocation or interference with another constitutional right to come into existence."

Could be useful for anyone taking the exam :)

Did anyone get the 6:05am train from Cork arriving at Heuston at 8:45am - to be at the red cow for an exam at 9:30am? did it work out ok ??

Is there free parking at the train station for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Jeez, I graduated in 2007 so constitutional was was some while before that - it was called public law in UL and had quite a different spin to what the FE1s require. I did one GCD one-day last year and I went to EC's public lecture last year as well, that was all. You've done a bit more that I did really, you should be ok. Half the battle seems to be just correctly diagnosing what the question is about, and stay totally on the constitutional issues. For example, just chatting to people after the exam last October in relation to the question about Willie the traveller, there was a wide spread of opinion. Some thought - traveller = equality issues, straight away, yet there was no info in the fact pattern to suggest inequality of treatment, you weren't told that anybody else fared any better. I thought is was a separation of powers question, ie would a court intervene to direct the executive to provide accommodation for Willie. Maybe I was wrong, but it just shows that people will read into the question what they want to see, and we can't all be right.
    Another pet issue with EC is the right to fair procedures, he keeps repeating that it isn't a free-standing right. It only engages when another right is substantially invaded. Make that point if you can. Eg, if a County Council proposes to CPO a farm to build a motorway, the right to property and the right to earn a living are threatened. THEN the right to fair procedures lights up.
    Best of luck, all you want to see is 51, no point aiming for high nineties ;-)

Thanks JC, all i am looking for is 50 on the nose and i'll be happy out and off to the big smoke in June. to be one mark short after a recheck is a bit soul destroying.

I actually quite liked paper last October which makes it all the more headwrecking now but what can you do! I also studied public law at UL with Jennifer Schweppe but my overriding memory of the whole experience is just alot of talk about abortion which definitely is not much use for FE1s. i do remember everybody having a different opinion on that traveller question when we came out of the exam hall tho.

I'm just really going all out this time on SOP-hoping for a delegated legislation q given John Grace decision. He loves all rights and he loves due process too and fair procedures seems fairly topical at the mo so i would definitely know that inside out. i definitely agree with your views on issue spotting. What's really clear from Const as opposed to equity or whatever is that he really really wants independent thought, you cannot just splurge all you learned on paper. I kinda hate him for that. :(

Really hoping he'll skip the case note question this time! My little Constitution just looks so innocent- how could it cause this much grief- AAAAHHH i just wish i knew what he actually wanted from me!! (rant over!) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

Did anyone get the 6:05am train from Cork arriving at Heuston at 8:45am - to be at the red cow for an exam at 9:30am? did it work out ok ??

Don't think there I'd free parking but could be wrong. I think that's leaving it very tight, you could be waiting 10 mins for the Luas, if your on it by 9 it takes about 20mins easily to get to redcow and then your walking from the stop to the hotel is a solid 5mins so even if everything goes smoothly and your not delayed you are looking at arriving around 9.25am, it's doable but very, very tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

afaik parking in cork kent is disastrous- i know loads of people from city who park in mallow and get train to Dublin from Mallow.

IMO i would be very nervous about getting train at time you suggested- as regular user of train myself, i know how they can be delayed, the luas could be packed, the machines outside heuston could be jammers at that time of morning and you might find it hard to buy a ticket and miss a couple of luas runs in meantime- i think you are bringing alot of stress upon yourself by leaving it so late- it's a nice little stretch on luas out to red cow aswell, not monstrous, the route from luas stop to hotel has to be navigated etc. there just does not seem to be a lot of leeway there.

I am sure you studied hard for these exams and you don't want something like a late train scuppering your chances.

I'm gonna just drive up again this year- if you are coming from Cork it is easy peasy to get to the red cow- you have choice of either parking at ibis or red cow- again wouldn't leave it until morning before exam.

good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

.. I also studied public law at UL with Jennifer Schweppe but my overriding memory of the whole experience is just alot of talk about abortion which definitely is not much use for FE1s.

We had a different damsel for Public Law in my year; she was equally preoccupied, with FGM in her case, which doesn't feature much in the FE1's either and which doesn't come up all that often in my local District Court. She gave me one of my lowest marks in my time in UL so I don't remember her too kindly. I think JS had some sort of research interest in abortion, she might have published something on it, I've some hazy memory of it. They have a mean habit in UL of strongly directing students to do FYPs and theses on the supervising lecturer's own research interests, so they get a lot of their drudgery done for nothing. Anyway, back to the books...

I'd probably advise driving up also, it might be costly for petrol but they are very important exams. Plus it's mostly Motorway from Cork to Dublin now (2 hours or a little bit over depending where you're coming from I think!).. Make sure you leave very early and arrive early - to get a sandwich or something before the exam, and maybe a quick bit of revision for 20mins before it too. That's the way I'd be doing it anyways if I was you. Wouldn't want to be relying on trains etc. even if the train meant two hours study on the way up.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Tort Law:

Am I the only one who is finding it quite difficult to figure out what some of the problem questions in tort are all about?? I learn a topic and then have a look at some exam questions on it and honestly if I didn't have the exam report to tell me what the question is about I wouldn't have a notion! Im picturing myself in the exam not knowing where to begin - It's becoming quite disheartening and im thinking I'd be better off not looking at the papers but then I'd feel unprepared.. Does anyone have a method figured out for spotting what the questions are looking for?

Overwhelmed! Thanks in advance for any help..

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mojo22

Which is the best bus from Cork to Dublin if your staying in the IBISS!
    A little unsure about connections
    Aircoach
    Buseireann

Train is definitely the better option between train & bus. Got the bus up last yr from Kerry. It took just over 6 hrs & didnt stop at the Ibis so had to go in to city.

Got the train up at a different sitting. Better for revision purposes.
    However I wud advise u to get the earlier train as you will be leaving it very tight otherwise.

It is at least 35 mins fron heuston to the red cow stop & at least a 5/6 min walk over to the Red cow. And thats providing you get the 1st luas that comes along. By the time you find out which room your exam is on & maybe use the toilet you might even be late goin in to your exam. It really is stress you can do without.

However driving would be the best option of the lot if that is an option for you.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Amre17 wrote: »
    Tort Law:

Am I the only one who is finding it quite difficult to figure out what some of the problem questions in tort are all about?? I learn a topic and then have a look at some exam questions on it and honestly if I didn't have the exam report to tell me what the question is about I wouldn't have a notion! Im picturing myself in the exam not knowing where to begin - It's becoming quite disheartening and im thinking I'd be better off not looking at the papers but then I'd feel unprepared.. Does anyone have a method figured out for spotting what the questions are looking for?

Overwhelmed! Thanks in advance for any help..

I keep reading the question and underlining points that stand out for me e.g. 'John parked his car, paid a small sum for the parking though he had no choice', would stand out that there is an aspect of occupier's liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Hi,

Could someone tell me what fundamental freedoms came up as a question in Oct 2011 please.

Thanks

I was thinking of solely focussing and polishing up my 5 favorite topics now so i know them really well!

Or is it better to carry on regardless on the full 8 -11... and know them a little bit??

6 of one half a dozen of another! Id like to know how the rest of you folks are approaching it now!

I was thinking of solely focussing and polishing on my 5 favorite topics now so i know them really well!

Or is it better to carry on regardless on the full 8 -11... and know them a little bit??

6 of one half a dozen of another! Id like to know how the rest of you folks are approaching it now!

Hi Ned_Led,

I can only tell you what way I've been studying the past week, don't know how effective it will be, and some people may have other techniques..

I have my own questions that I prepared from doing exam papers, have griffith sample answers and then have my notes, manual and book..

For each topic I did - usually 7 or 8 topics - I start by reading through the question I did and/or sample answer and then start making concise notes, making sure not to go over 2 pages worth. I'd jot down a general intro point, move on to the main areas and jot down a case and a sentence for it. This can then be used for quick revision the night before the exam and constantly keeps you reading, I refer back to my notes or book for clarification or more info if needed. Sometimes at the end of the topic I try see what I remember but this seemed to take up time so I just go and tackle the next topic.

Usually takes me an hour a topic.. I've got through property and equity thus far (since I started this technique last Friday that is, been doing exam papers and reading manual before this), nearly finished contract. I'll move onto criminal now tomorrow and work through it the weekend.... Then next Monday have a general revision day for all the subjects (my first exam isn't till the 23rd). Then from Tuesday to the 23rd concentrate on learning off property, the day of the exam/night before use the concise 1-2 pages notes I made out for quick revision.

Hoping this technique works anyway! Plenty of reading to be done, it really has gotten to the stage of learning everything off as best you can now though - using the above gets you good reading of the area and concise notes! (I hate just reading, I always have to be jotting down notes/points).

I know what you mean about just concentrating on 5 topics now but I'd stick to 7 or 8 as you nearly always need back ups - anything can come up no matter what is predicted. Even at 7 or 8 you're not guaranteed.

That's just my technique for the final hurdle, I hope it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 garethj

Hi

Anyone with sample answers to the above willing to swap? I have sample answers from most other years (more recent) and most other subjects. PM me please.

Hope everyone's study is going well...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Maurice Levy

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me? I am studying equity and criminal law from manuals that are from 2009, has there been any major changes in the past three years?. I know about the Criminal Law (Defence and Dwelling )Act 2011 for criminal law but are there any other major acts i should take a look at? Has there also been a change in resulting trusts or undue influence in equity? Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

chops018 wrote: »
    Hi Ned_Led,

I can only tell you what way I've been studying the past week, don't know how effective it will be, and some people may have other techniques..

I have my own questions that I prepared from doing exam papers, have griffith sample answers and then have my notes, manual and book..

For each topic I did - usually 7 or 8 topics - I start by reading through the question I did and/or sample answer and then start making concise notes, making sure not to go over 2 pages worth. I'd jot down a general intro point, move on to the main areas and jot down a case and a sentence for it. This can then be used for quick revision the night before the exam and constantly keeps you reading, I refer back to my notes or book for clarification or more info if needed. Sometimes at the end of the topic I try see what I remember but this seemed to take up time so I just go and tackle the next topic.

Usually takes me an hour a topic.. I've got through property and equity thus far (since I started this technique last Friday that is, been doing exam papers and reading manual before this), nearly finished contract. I'll move onto criminal now tomorrow and work through it the weekend.... Then next Monday have a general revision day for all the subjects (my first exam isn't till the 23rd). Then from Tuesday to the 23rd concentrate on learning off property, the day of the exam/night before use the concise 1-2 pages notes I made out for quick revision.

Hoping this technique works anyway! Plenty of reading to be done, it really has gotten to the stage of learning everything off as best you can now though - using the above gets you good reading of the area and concise notes! (I hate just reading, I always have to be jotting down notes/points).

I know what you mean about just concentrating on 5 topics now but I'd stick to 7 or 8 as you nearly always need back ups - anything can come up no matter what is predicted. Even at 7 or 8 you're not guaranteed.

That's just my technique for the final hurdle, I hope it works!

I kinda have the same technique, I make notes of the manual, and then keep making more concise notes of notes, and finally I try to compact each topic into 2/3 pages, it's great for the night before/day the exam and I remember things better this way than reading... Also, what I do is make recordings of my notes on my ipod, then on the drive up to the exam I listen to the notes, I find this calms me a lot on the drive, rather that wrecking my brain or panicking trying to remember things while driving. Though I do think finding a technique is very personal, each to their own!

Does anyone think misrepresentation will come up on its own this time round? It came up in October and doesn't seem to make consecutive appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

So coming to the end of it now and these are the topics i've tried to learn off for tort:
    Negligence (ordinary, duty of care, causation, remoteness, res ipsa loquiter)
    Medical Negligence
    Defective Products
    Fire/Animals
    Trespass
    Defamation
    Nuisance/Rylands v Fletcher
    Nervous Shock
    Pure Economic Loss
    Defective Premises
    Damages

Would i need to cover more?! What are others covering?
    I have notes (but not condensed) on employer's/vicarious/occupiers liability but i'm slightly afraid that i'll spread myself too thinly. What do ye think!? Hate this time of exam prep when you have to take risks! hoping i'm making educated risks ha!

Has anyone heard tips for Tort? I will name my first child after you if you'd be willing to share! might be a way to try and decide

wez99950 wrote: »
    So coming to the end of it now and these are the topics i've tried to learn off for tort:
    Negligence (ordinary, duty of care, causation, remoteness, res ipsa loquiter)
    Medical Negligence
    Defective Products
    Fire/Animals
    Trespass
    Defamation
    Nuisance/Rylands v Fletcher
    Nervous Shock
    Pure Economic Loss
    Defective Premises
    Damages

Would i need to cover more?! What are others covering?
    I have notes (but not condensed) on employer's/vicarious/occupiers liability but i'm slightly afraid that i'll spread myself too thinly. What do ye think!? Hate this time of exam prep when you have to take risks! hoping i'm making educated risks ha!

Has anyone heard tips for Tort? I will name my first child after you if you'd be willing to share! might be a way to try and decide
    I think you should have 5 questions out of what you've covered there - I understand the spreading yourself thin thing, Ive covered less than you, I just can't cram too much in or I start forgetting stuff.. I'm just a risk taker when it comes to these exams, here's hopin the risk pays off!
    Good luck with the weekends learning..

I think you should have 5 questions out of what you've covered there - I understand the spreading yourself thin thing, Ive covered less than you, I just can't cram too much in or I start forgetting stuff.. I'm just a risk taker when it comes to these exams, here's hopin the risk pays off!

I'm the same, if I learn too much I forget old stuff.... I remember I took a wine making course and forgot how to drive.

Sorry couldn't resist! :P

chops018 wrote: »

I'm the same, if I learn too much I forget old stuff.... I remember I took a wine making course and forgot how to drive.

Sorry couldn't resist! :P
    Good one.. A bit of humour definitely needed at the minute!

Tonight's looking like a late one, behind on the little learning timetable I made and if I don't catch up ill have to give the rugby a miss sat.. Nooooo!

Good one.. A bit of humour definitely needed at the minute!

Tonight's looking like a late one, behind on the little learning timetable I made and if I don't catch up ill have to give the rugby a miss sat.. Nooooo!

I'm about to sink my teeth into a bitta contract now myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 05588081

Hi,
    Would anyone have the Companies ACt 1963-2000 McCann and Courtney student edition (Published by Bloomsbury) for sale??

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

Anyone have an exam gid for Equity? Or even just tell me which are the topics that usually come up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Does anyone have a sample answer for Q1 October 2008 EQUITY?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement