Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

This may seem a little peculiar! But im sitting my 'obliged' money in the law society fund 'fourth exam' first. Ive applied for 4, as obliged on first sitting, but i have concentrated wholly on Consitutional, eu and contract. My 4th being Tort is a basic 45 minute 'sign in' get out job. However im thinking of using the exam conditions to sit a mock exam, pick out 5 exam qs from Constitutional randomly (essay type qs) b4 the exam and answer them under the exam conditions to give me a sense of what to expect come Thusday! Surely you wont be questioned for handing up 2 answer papers of 'unrelated answers'! My study is going well, i just fear my exam application is lacking having not sat an exam since Under grad level 3 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    This may seem a little peculiar! But im sitting my 'obliged' money in the law society fund 'fourth exam' first. Ive applied for 4, as obliged on first sitting, but i have concentrated wholly on Consitutional, eu and contract. My 4th being Tort is a basic 45 minute 'sign in' get out job. However im thinking of using the exam conditions to sit a mock exam, pick out 5 exam qs from Constitutional randomly (essay type qs) b4 the exam and answer them under the exam conditions to give me a sense of what to expect come Thusday! Surely you wont be questioned for handing up 2 answer papers of 'unrelated answers'! My study is going well, i just fear my exam application is lacking having not sat an exam since Under grad level 3 years ago!

If it was me, I'd just leave after the 45 mins. You can always do a mock exam at home. While these exams don't often leave me feeling very sympathetic to examiners, I think it would be a bit unfair to make an examiner read through a few answer books of unrelated material!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

They have rules. For all they know you could have some sort of hidden code typed up inside those Q's. How are they able to tell that they are the exact questions that came up in that year. There is not a hope in hell you will be able to bring those in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 je77rey

Anyone have any sample answers for Constitutional? I have sample answers for contract, tort and criminal that I can swap. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Hogzy wrote: »
    They have rules. For all they know you could have some sort of hidden code typed up inside those Q's. How are they able to tell that they are the exact questions that came up in that year. There is not a hope in hell you will be able to bring those in.

who said anything about bringing questions in? Id just pick out 5 topics, such as an essay question on judicial independence, art 26 ref, family/kids rights, etc ten minutes before entering and write an essay on each to get me in exam mode. I just fear the thought of failing on time constraint management and i need to discipline myself

• Advertisement

who said anything about bringing questions in? Id just pick out 5 topics, such as an essay question on judicial independence, art 26 ref, family/kids rights, etc ten minutes before entering and write an essay on each to get me in exam mode. I just fear the thought of failing on time constraint management and i need to discipline myself

Ohh right. I thought you were going to bring in 5 passed Q's on a sheet and do them.

If you can remember the Q you are doing then you may aswell. Its the closest you will get to a real exam. The examiner will be confused as hell though when you hand up the booklet (you have to hand them up, you're not allowed take them home)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

I studied Tort under Eoin Quill in UL. This'll really freak him out! Go for it, man. If you can, write the essays in Urdu or Swahili. Then when you come to do the constitutional exam, it'll be a doddle to you in Irish.

Seriously, I'd be a small bit concerned about how the lawsoc would view this - your number etc will be on the book. Quill will have to report that he seemed to get a Constitutional answer book back to the exam administration. They'll have to check that they're not missing one in constitutional - and lo and behold! Another one with your number on it will be in that pile. That'll cause weeping and gnashing of gums, and they'll ring you to explain, or worse still, they'll write to you. You really don't need that kind of exposure in their office.

Go in for 45 minutes, you'll have enough exam atmosphere soaked up by then, go home and do a bit of study after that.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

JCJCJC wrote: »
    I studied Tort under Eoin Quill in UL. This'll really freak him out! Go for it, man. If you can, write the essays in Urdu or Swahili. Then when you come to do the constitutional exam, it'll be a doddle to you in Irish.

Seriously, I'd be a small bit concerned about how the lawsoc would view this - your number etc will be on the book. Quill will have to report that he seemed to get a Constitutional answer book back to the exam administration. They'll have to check that they're not missing one in constitutional - and lo and behold! Another one with your number on it will be in that pile. That'll cause weeping and gnashing of gums, and they'll ring you to explain, or worse still, they'll write to you. You really don't need that kind of exposure in their office.

Go in for 45 minutes, you'll have enough exam atmosphere soaked up by then, go home and do a bit of study after that.

JC

I don't understand, what was this poster thinking of doing?

Edit: after a re-read I now understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

I studied Tort under Eoin Quill in UL. This'll really freak him out! Go for it, man.

this made me smile. lolling at thought of Quillster getting hot and bovvered trying to correct a constitutional paper! he was my FYP supervisor back in the day- my academic crush when i was a naive undergrad...

my two cents worth is go in to the exam, stay 45 mins and use the other 2hours 15 mins to go over stuff for your other subjects. Like JC said, if you are sitting constitutional also next thurs, then there will be 2 constitutional answer booklets with your name on them and that could just cause a whole lot of hassle down the line!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

I thought you only had to wait 30mins? has it changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Would it be crazy to leave out competition law all together from EU?

St. Patrick's Day 2012....company law all day...no match....no few tunes in the corner of the local...no DRINK...does it get any worse? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JLex

St. Patrick's Day 2012....company law all day...no match....no few tunes in the corner of the local...no DRINK...does it get any worse? :D
    Happy St. Patrick's Day ;-) well you could be stuck with constitutional like me think that's a worst thing to do on any day ;-)

Kamilat wrote: »

It would its a nice easy area! Depends on what else you cover though!

It could be constitutional you are studying. :(

Jaysus this question cant be answered in 35mins!!! sample answer is 8 pages!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Kamilat wrote: »

It would its a nice easy area! Depends on what else you cover though!

Are you doing eu yourself? I have about 2-3days for it but I don't know if it's doable in that time? I'm doing institutions, direct effect/supremacy, member state liability, preliminary references, fundamental rights, FMOG+other fundamental freedoms except maybe leave out capital and citizenship. But I really need to pass it this time

Remember though. Those sample answers are EVERYTHING that can be included in the answer. You dont necessarily need to have everything in that answer to pass the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

SNAP! Just think of it as something else we can celebrate when these blasted exams are over..I think the Law Soc do it on purpose to ruin our lives even more...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

Hi guys

Happy St. Paddy's Day! I am postponing wearing my green hat and orange beard until the 28th - the only thought getting me through today!

Just wondering, does anyone have any advice/tips/know-how as to how to recognize in problem questions when the issue is vicarious liability as opposed to employer's liability? knowing me, it is something simple but for the life of me, it just won't click!

• Advertisement

wez99950 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Happy St. Paddy's Day! I am postponing wearing my green hat and orange beard until the 28th - the only thought getting me through today!

Just wondering, does anyone have any advice/tips/know-how as to how to recognize in problem questions when the issue is vicarious liability as opposed to employer's liability? knowing me, it is something simple but for the life of me, it just won't click!

Well, an easy scenario to visualise is bullying in a large corporation. The 'head and brains' of the company probably won't know that the supervisor in a remote outpost is bullying the office cleaner causing stress-related harm. Nevertheless, the corporation is vicariously liable for the acts of its servants. In fact, a mighty case on it went up on bailii in the past few days, read it here. In that case, the hospital company was vicariously liable for stress-related health problems caused to their employee by bullying at the hands of company employees. If you can get a 2012 case like that in your answer it'll impress.

Think I was reading that question last night, is that the one with like 8 issues in it? Has conspiracy, incitement, common design, murder, capital murder, novus actus interviens, robbery and I'm pretty sure there was another couple..... very daunting reading it, I would have only been able to discuss the murder and attempted murder aspect along with a bit about intention and novus actus interviens, also would have been able to discuss robbery. Would have been able to spot conspiracy but wouldn't have had much info on it bar the actus reus and mens rea.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Well, an easy scenario to visualise is bullying in a large corporation. The 'head and brains' of the company probably won't know that the supervisor in a remote outpost is bullying the office cleaner causing stress-related harm. Nevertheless, the corporation is vicariously liable for the acts of its servants. In fact, a mighty case on it went up on bailii in the past few days, read it here. In that case, the hospital company was vicariously liable for stress-related health problems caused to their employee by bullying at the hands of company employees. If you can get a 2012 case like that in your answer it'll impress.

Nice one for that case JC

Conspiracy - Pre -Planned agmt between 2 or > more (agmt & intention)
    Accessorial liability - Helped out as an accessory - no plan b4
    Common design - 2 criminals - one does something odd not planned- both blamed - theft but a beats someone up - both done for robbery. not tech conspiracy but close to it

I reckon ill muddle this up in the exam - unless its as simple as outlined above??? - brain is fried
    keep thinking theres a trick to this or the examiner is trying to catch us out here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AH88

Just wondering what people are covering for the constitutional law exam? Also
    anyone have any sample answers for Constitutional? I have sample answers for contract, tort and criminal that I can swap. Thanks and Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

boomtown84 wrote: »
    Nice one for that case JC

Thanks. It's well worth subscribing to the bailii updates, you get an email about once a week with the urls of anything recent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Thanks. It's well worth subscribing to the bailii updates, you get an email about once a week with the urls of anything recent.
    Wow, never knew you could do this, brilliant idea.

Conspiracy - Pre -Planned agmt between 2 or > more (agmt & intention)
    Accessorial liability - Helped out as an accessory - no plan b4
    Common design - 2 criminals - one does something odd not planned- both blamed - theft but a beats someone up - both done for robbery. not tech conspiracy but close to it

I reckon ill muddle this up in the exam - unless its as simple as outlined above??? - brain is fried
    keep thinking theres a trick to this or the examiner is trying to catch us out here?

The way I'm looking at it is for stuff like you said if you can identify the issue, let's say conspiracy, and set down the legislation then the actus reus and mens rea you should be fine, if you can throw in a case even better. I'm assuming most of the marks would go towards the discussion on robbery or murder if it was involved, the one's you mentioned don't have a lot of info on them in the manuals or in Conor Hanly's book. That's the way I'll be doing it anyway, hoping for the best, I was panicking last night reading the same question as you - 8 typed pages of an answer!!!! But as people said those answers are nearly 20 out of 20 marks, good discussion on half of those issue should get you a pass, well hopefully.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Anyone boozing today, and doing Tort on Tuesday?

/awaits justification for boozing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DeSourire

Hi, if anyone has answers for the past papers in either Tort or Company I'd be interested in getting my hands on them. I have EU Law if anyone is interested in swapping for either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement