Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone boozing today, and doing Tort on Tuesday?

/awaits justification for boozing

Im boozing on coffee :(
    There is no other place i want to be more than in a pub watching the match.

The FE1's have ruined my social life in the last year and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lennylaw

Hi there,

I can't get my head around the situation between tenants and sqautters in relation to a lease and the cases of Fairweather v St Marylebone Property Co. Ltd and Perry v Woodfarm Homes Ltd. If someone who understands this could briefly summarise this situation in plain English it would be greatly appreciated!

Hope everyone's study is going good.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Can anyone give me Val Corbett's tips for tort? He's usually on the money (not that it helped me the last time :o )
    It'd be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

lennylaw wrote: »
    Hi there,

I can't get my head around the situation between tenants and sqautters in relation to a lease and the cases of Fairweather v St Marylebone Property Co. Ltd and Perry v Woodfarm Homes Ltd. If someone who understands this could briefly summarise this situation in plain English it would be greatly appreciated!

Hope everyone's study is going good.

If you squat on a leasehold title and oust the lessee, you get his title - ie the leasehold interest. Essentially all you CAN get is his title, when you think about it. Once, and indeed if, you reach the end of the leasehold period the lessor can still claim the reversionary interest, unless you squat adverse to him for another twelve years and thus acquire the freehold. That's the bones of it.

The difficult question is covenants, is the squatter bound by them?

If you have time, look up Una Woods' article(s) on it on Westlaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jan2008

Hey all, Im new to the thread, just wondering would anyone have a record of the Qs that came up in Contract Law in the March 2011 and October 2011 sittings?
    If anyone needs contract or EU GCD notes or past papers or anything like that let me know, unfortunately mine only go up to 2010 and it'd be really handy to know what the recent papers for Contract have been like.
    Thanks a lot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

Hogzy wrote: »

Think it is now two years that my social life has been ruined. Hopefully my social life will be just ruined by Blackhall place instead of the FE1s this time next year :) Anyone know what kind of marker the tort examiner is? I usually just get 50 in these exams? Negligence is so time consuming - nearly thinking of dropping it at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Hogzy wrote: »

Think it is now two years that my social life has been ruined. Hopefully my social life will be just ruined by Blackhall place instead of the FE1s this time next year :) Anyone know what kind of marker the tort examiner is? I usually just get 50 in these exams? Negligence is so time consuming - nearly thinking of dropping it at this point.
    I'm of the same opinion re negligence but im frightened i wont have enough covered if i dont do it so ill have to push on with it..
    it's starting to confuse me now along with everything else, like how much of the negligence principles should we be bringing into questions that are on other areas like economic loss for instance..
    I have 5 exams got so far and for some reason this one is really getting to me, I probably havnt covered enough of the course and the subject just isn't clicking with me!
    Would give me right arm for val corbetts predictions right now! (although that might cause a bit of difficulty on Tuesday!)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Amre17 wrote: »
    I'm of the same opinion re negligence but im frightened i wont have enough covered if i dont do it so ill have to push on with it..
    it's starting to confuse me now along with everything else, like how much of the negligence principles should we be bringing into questions that are on other areas like economic loss for instance..
    I have 5 exams got so far and for some reason this one is really getting to me, I probably havnt covered enough of the course and the subject just isn't clicking with me!
    Would give me right arm for val corbetts predictions right now! (although that might cause a bit of difficulty on Tuesday!)

Would u not just pick 8 of the most frequently asked topics plus 1-2 which are due an appearance?
    Or u looking for 5 handy bulls eyes! Id love the latter! good luck

Anyone know what kind of marker the tort examiner is?

As Niall Toibin says, sometimes he can be a bit of a hoor ;-)

Hopefully my social life will be just ruined by Blackhall place instead of the FE1s this time next year :)

I have a bro-in-law who is a Dub. I asked him to suss out someplace for me to live in the D7 area. The answer I got was 'there's four good pubs within a three-minute walk of Blackhall Place. There's traditional music in one of them on a wednesday night - you'll be grand'. Big help that was.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gudbuzz

Hi,
    Im sitting tort on Tuesday which i have never studied before so won't be able to even attempt any questions as i have only studied for the other 3 i am sitting. please tell me i won't be the only person just sitting there for 45mins with nothing to write! People do this regularly just to satisfy the 4 exam rule on first attempt yes?!

Hi,
    Im sitting tort on Tuesday which i have never studied before so won't be able to even attempt any questions as i have only studied for the other 3 i am sitting. please tell me i won't be the only person just sitting there for 45mins with nothing to write! People do this regularly just to satisfy the 4 exam rule on first attempt yes?!

gudbuzz wrote: »
    Hi,

First off, you posted this after 3 am - get some sleep, you can't be doing late hours like that this week ;) Next - nothing wrong with your tactics, lots of people here have sat in for a 'sacrificial fourth' including me. Simply view it as a tactical move, if you get your first three it'll be a good move for you. Don't let it get you down, make a plan to treat yourself to an 'I love me' stop on the way home, maybe even just a cappucino in the Red Cow after you leave the exam room.

JCJCJC wrote: »
    gudbuzz wrote: »
    Hi,

First off, you posted this after 3 am - get some sleep, you can't be doing late hours like that this week ;) Next - nothing wrong with your tactics, lots of people here have sat in for a 'sacrificial fourth' including me. Simply view it as a tactical move, if you get your first three it'll be a good move for you. Don't let it get you down, make a plan to treat yourself to an 'I love me' stop on the way home, maybe even just a cappucino in the Red Cow after you leave the exam room.

thanks jc! Was panicking last but it'll be fine. Might get one of those coffees you mention now! good luck in your exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 FOOKED

Hi All,

Really starting to panic as think I've tried to cover too much for Company and now worried I haven't left myself enough time for learning. Does anyone have an axam grid for company they could send me? Or tips on what might come up? Would really appreciate it- you'd be saving me from a mental breakdown!

Thanks

Hi All,

Really starting to panic as think I've tried to cover too much for Company and now worried I haven't left myself enough time for learning. Does anyone have an axam grid for company they could send me? Or tips on what might come up? Would really appreciate it- you'd be saving me from a mental breakdown!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 LSH

Hey All

Just wondering if it was ok to tab each section and to write the section on the tab??

If not I have just wasted a day!!!!!!

Thanks

LSH wrote: »
    Hey All

Just wondering if it was ok to tab each section and to write the section on the tab??

If not I have just wasted a day!!!!!!

Thanks

Hi,

I rang the law society during the week- you can highlight and underline but no writing. Also, you can tab but no writing on the tab- so maybe just colour code!

Thanks,
    Fooked

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

wez99950 wrote: »
    Hi guys

Happy St. Paddy's Day! I am postponing wearing my green hat and orange beard until the 28th - the only thought getting me through today!

Just wondering, does anyone have any advice/tips/know-how as to how to recognize in problem questions when the issue is vicarious liability as opposed to employer's liability? knowing me, it is something simple but for the life of me, it just won't click!

Correct me if im wrong - but a question on employers liability is mixed in with vicarious liability.(after all an employer who is found liable for a employee = vicarious liability no???One asks the question: Is the person an employee? and the other question is about whether the damage was in the course or scope of that employment? ie if you work for hertz and crash the car on a test drive mon afternoon opposed to crashing the car on the way back to a party on Paddys night after watching the Irish get hammered beyond belief by England... sorry gotta make the example remotely interesting - getting bored with law & fe1s and feel like becoming a pilot or something else more exciting now!

I get confused with R v F and nuisance but RvF is more about smells odours etc i think and Nuisance is more to do with physical escapes such as oil etc.... i think - not doing that question as yet so prob got that ass ways
    Perhaps im oversimplifying it?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Awfull Lawfull

Nothing like abit of sun shining in on you,while you read and reread company notes :cool: Ten days untill freedom and believe me im counting !

• Advertisement

FOOKED wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks

Not gospel but might help:
    Consequences of incorporation
    Corporate personality/SLP
    Corporate contracts/authority
    Ultra Vires - came up on Oct 11 paper
    Directors - could get a possible 2/3 qs
    Shareholder protection / remedies
    Corporate borrowings
    Retention of title clauses - came up Oct 11
    Winding up - came up Oct 11
    Disposition of companies assets
    Examinership / receivership

That's all I got!!! Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

Not gospel but might help:
    Consequences of incorporation
    Corporate personality/SLP
    Corporate contracts/authority
    Ultra Vires - came up on Oct 11 paper
    Directors - could get a possible 2/3 qs
    Shareholder protection / remedies
    Corporate borrowings
    Retention of title clauses - came up Oct 11
    Winding up - came up Oct 11
    Disposition of companies assets
    Examinership / receivership

That's all I got!!! Best of luck

Are these tips or what you are covering or both?

Are these tips or what you are covering or both?

There not tips just what I am covering! I know I should be covering a lot more but just dont have the time.

What are you covering?

FOOKED wrote: »
    Hi,

I rang the law society during the week- you can highlight and underline but no writing. Also, you can tab but no writing on the tab- so maybe just colour code!

Thanks,
    Fooked

Last year I saw a lot of people with the sections written on tabs, they must have changed the rules...Pain in the @ss!!!
    Time spent having to look through book is time wasted!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Is anyone enrolled in Equity at City Colleges? Would ye have a copy of that Exam Review Document that Philip gave out at the tutorial. Its not on Moodle anywhere. Bloody annoying.

There not tips just what I am covering! I know I should be covering a lot more but just dont have the time.

What are you covering?

I've never seen so much reticence on this thread with the official tips/predictions/educated guesses/forecasts/wtf from the various prep colleges as is blatantly evident this time. I've said it here before - we are all aiming for the magic 50%, the FE1s are threshold exams, not a competitive exercise. It doesn't hurt to be helpful and cooperative, not to mention collegial, given that we all aspire to become professional colleagues sooner or later. I don't think I've seen a single post on any subject this time advising of what has been tipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

I'm enrolled for EU & Constitutional but wasn't given any 'tips' - more just told to cover as much as the course as possible. So I've just been using grids & my own guesses to whittle down the material!

I agree it's good to share info - preventing other people from using info I have isn't going to help me do any better! I posted up the list of cases discussed at Carolan's Constitutional talk last month. Would definitely welcome any hints anyone else has at this stage! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10 je77rey

Anyone have any sample tort answers? I have constitutional, criminal and contract that I can swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

I think it is just that there are less people doing the exams this time round. Also, if I were starting to do these exams or Kings Inns entrance this year- I would choose Kings Inns - so much easier - finished faster and then at the end of it, if the Minister for Justice is serious - the profession will be merged within the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

What are you covering?

I got caught out last time by not having enough covered so I am trying to cover as much as is physically poss. this round, I don't find company as easy to cut topics out of as some of the others.. think I'm going in with 'a little about a lot' which may not be the best approach though...

I agree with what JC said, seemed to be a lot more sharing of info/tips last sitting, but I assume there are diff people posting and each sitting my number is getting lower..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement