Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

I think it is just that there are less people doing the exams this time round. Also, if I were starting to do these exams or Kings Inns entrance this year- I would choose Kings Inns - so much easier - finished faster and then at the end of it, if the Minister for Justice is serious - the profession will be merged within the next few years.

That's interesting. Are you saying the KI exams are easier? I've never seen their papers. Three of my LLB class colleagues, maybe even a few more I don't know about, have finished the BL degree in KI. All three are extremely bright individuals in my humble, we were in a study group together for four years so I know how good they are. None of them have got a pupillage yet and they don't appear to be likely to practise as barristers in the foreseeable future, if ever.

Anyhow, back to the delights of floating charges.....

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    I get confused with R v F and nuisance but RvF is more about smells odours etc i think and Nuisance is more to do with physical escapes such as oil etc.... i think - not doing that question as yet so prob got that ass ways
    Perhaps im oversimplifying it?

I could be wrong but (off the top of my head) RvF is about the escape of something collected on the land for the defendant's purposes and could be anything. If something escapes which wasn't collected on the land by the defendant but was there naturally then the remedy is nuisance. Although nuisance covers anything else capable of disturbing a plaintiffs interest in land, not just escapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

id like to see a rep from each college post 5 qs for 8 subjects each and let what comes up decide on which college is the most connected with what comes up!

Perhaps its time the colleges were graded?

Who ever got the best result - would perhaps promote the amount of student nos on their course! prob a little childish idea - i think anyones who has done a bit of work will have a good guess at whats on the papers anyways ! 5 most frequent and 3-6 subs..

But if anyone could predict 5-5 for 8 subjects - id take my hat off to them! a lot of irrelevant stuff is focussed on some of the courses that wont come up or on the complete off chance - that u cant prepare for it unless u learn everything - curve ball type q.

I agree with what JC said,

You're my new bf :)

...seemed to be a lot more sharing of info/tips last sitting, but I assume there are diff people posting and each sitting my number is getting lower..

The opposite! I've gone in steps from 36 to 185! rising number every time, so I'm not sure what that means. Last time we tried to get a rough idea here on how many were sitting, people chipped in an indication of their numbers, some were up in the 800's. Anybody like to say what their number is, if it's a lot higher than (say) 500?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

I think people are looking for a bit of guidance/help at this stage and look to tips for that - I see no harm in that.

You aren't giving away the paper by sharing the tips - I think we're all old enough to know to take them with a pinch of salt. I don't think you're at an advantage either by having them and others not - the examiner might decide this time to change it up completely in which case you are at the disadvantage by relying on them. There are no guarantees.

The reason why I like to know the tips is to see if im on the right track or alternatively, completely off the mark in which case i might need to re-evaluate/prioritise. They also serve as a bit of reassurance in that i can see others are interpreting exam papers like me.

So if there are people out there that do have tips, it would be great if you would share - think of the exam karma points too!

• Advertisement

lower than 400 JC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

I'm gone from 1042 to just over 800 in three sittings and i'm R

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Miss_F

Around 300 and iam F

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

i thought i'd throw my hat into the ring-

i did the griffith one day courses for all subjects that i am sitting this time around and the lecturers are markedly reticent themselves when it comes to giving tips. to be brutally honest, i don't really have much faith in their 'tips' in any case because they are going by the exact same info we are- they are not privy to insider information and they don't set the exams.

in advance of doing these courses, i already highlighted areas that i thought were most likely to appear and i based my predictions on what comes up regularly/what's due a run/what's topical at the moment- nothing that any of the lecturers said was in any way divergent from what i had already earmarked myself

again, i have been getting a few pms but i will post here and hope to get a few good karma points:

equity- this one screwed me over last time- i didn't have enough topics prepared- i actually covered everything that seemed not to turn up on the paper, i very much focused on trusts, neglecting equity somewhat, and i didn't have 5 questions on the exam. at the course a few weeks ago Ross Aylward pointed out that areas like quia timet/mareva/anton piller, undue influence cos she seems to be loving that right now, tracing is due an appearance, maxims haven't come up in 3 parter for a while and maybe a problem on donatio mortis causa is likely- on the trusts side, he pointed out (not tipped) that secret, resulting, charitable, cypres and purpose might be due a run and trustees duties seems very popular.

constitutional- david langwallners magic 3 are separation of powers, rights, due process and locus standi. he gave other areas 1 *, 2 * and 3* ratings but as anybody preparing for constitutional knows, leave areas out at your peril. cover every single right, know delegated legislation because of that john grace case

property- again papers have been very nice last few sittings, i think everybody is banking on two successions (personally expecting 117 to appear), adverse possession, easements, co-ownership, family property, licences, finding and treasure trove. the property lecturer from griffith did not really give out any hints more than that- she just pointed out examiners interest in family property etc., said to maybe prepare an essay on influence of equity, changes brought about from lclra etc.

contract- again, anybody studying for this will know there is no such thing as contract tips, if you leave sth out, it's at your own peril. Brian foley did point out that he would not be surprised if the structure of the paper will be different because he suspects new examiner did not actually set the oct 2011 paper, but still what is examinable remains the same, and know privity inside out because cliona kelly helped write LRC paper on privity.

eu law- the golden five -impact national legal systems, institutions, free movement of people, free movement of goods and competition- in my opinion you would be off your tree if you went into the eu exam without these in your armory- even though the examiner is mean and lets one of these off every paper, they are still the golden 5, and i would expect to see four of them in the paper. As for hints, jennie goode pointed out prelim reference has not been asked in ages, state aid is wildly topical at the mo and didn't come up in oct 2011 i believe and because of his dissatisfaction with the mergers q last october, she thinks he might ask a question on mergers again. All of this information though can be gleaned from the grids, i wouldn't say you had to fork out a few hundred euro to be privy to this information.

i really do believe that the exams are getting less predictable and it was very clear that even when being pushed for tips, lecturers are unwilling to lay their heads on the line. i would take predictions with a grain of salt, do what you can, learn it off, when time comes spew it out on paper in some sort of orderly fashion, and with a bit of luck on our sides, it will see us over the line.

as for the numbers sitting exams getting small, this sitting my no is 858, last sitting i was in the 870s, much of a muchness.

Fair dues to you RS, that will be very much appreciated. EU is the only one on your list that I'm doing this time, I can see I have some reading yet to do!

My personal analysis of the tips situation is this. The lecturers in the prep colleges are by-and-large practising barristers, including David Langwallner who is a SC, maybe some more are, and Brian Foley BL who is a PhD. They are seriously, seriously bright people, in my humble opinion, IQs of 140 and well above in some cases. In their professional capacities as lawyers, people pay many thousands for their educated opinions on profoundly important issues, and through long experience at that process they have developed that immeasurable intangible attribute of personality which I can only call 'judgment'. That gift is brought to bear by them on the analysis they do of grids and examiners' reports and in several cases they may even know the examiner to some extent at least, if only that person's professional interests and strengths. I believe they give an honest, carefully considered appraisal of what they think the next move by the examiner will be, and I for one am interested in hearing it. I know it isn't a mathematical science but neither is litigation, or it would be practised by mathematicians. An expert opinion is a lot better than a wild guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 kelmchugh

hey guys, doing constitutional again, could someone give me a link to the john grace case and explain its importance to me please?

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

kelmchugh wrote: »
    hey guys, doing constitutional again, could someone give me a link to the john grace case and explain its importance to me please?

http://www.irishtimes.com/indepth/court-ruling/ruling.pdf

It concerns delegated legislation (Art 15.2.1) and a challenge to the setting of wage rates, overtime, sunday pay etc by a joint labour committee on the basis that the parent act didnt contain sufficient principles and policies for it to be a valid delegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

doing wrote: »
    Anyone have an exam gid for Equity? Or even just tell me which are the topics that usually come up?

Could anyone help me out here please?

Does this sound right??
    R v f = Escape of something brought onto land
    Nuisance = Escape of something already on the land

starting to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz snooze zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

cursing the fe1s

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gudbuzz

doing wrote: »
    Could anyone help me out here please?

Hi, Exam grid to long to type out but the main areas Ross said to study are as follows:
    1 Maxims
    2 Quia Timet
    3 Mareva
    4 Specific Performance
    5 Undue Influence
    6 Secret/Charitable Trusts
    7 Resulting/Constructive Trusts
    8 Tracing
    9 Satisfaction

If anyone has tips for criminal I'm all ears!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gudbuzz

The opposite! I've gone in steps from 36 to 185! rising number every time, so I'm not sure what that means. Last time we tried to get a rough idea here on how many were sitting, people chipped in an indication of their numbers, some were up in the 800's. Anybody like to say what their number is, if it's a lot higher than (say) 500?[/QUOTE]

I'm in the 200's....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

JCJCJC wrote: »
    My personal analysis of the tips situation is this. The lecturers in the prep colleges are by-and-large practising barristers, including David Langwallner who is a SC, maybe some more are, and Brian Foley BL who is a PhD.

I won't disagree regarding his towering intellect, but DL is not a SC!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DeSourire

I'm in the 500s.. and Ms. Seems like there is a lot of people! aka lots of $$$

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

I've just noticed that I missed the topic of prior restraint. Any chance anyone could send me notes on it? Is it important?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DaleWinton

Hi all hope study is going well. Not long now till freedom.

Does anyone know if the Brussels I & II regualtions are in the Treaties that we can bring into the exam?

Had a quick look through them but couldn't find it. Seems like a lot of legislation to memorise if it isn't and considering its not that frequent a topic I'm debating leaving it out.

gonna skip r v f & nuisance even thought its bound to be on the paper!
    its a ballix of a question!

the exam report said most people did only ok in this question

Model answer states this: "An issue which may arise in relation to the petrol which did not arise in respect of the water is whether or not it is a “dangerous item”. Direction may be obtained from case
    law on this issue." - if petrol is not dangerous pigs can fly - hard to drop something which will be on the paper

too hard to score well in it! last resort question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

A question re constitutional exam. (a) how significant is the Tuohy Test, if you have learnt the Heaney test? If you were to concentrate on 8 topics what would they be? For me SOP, Non-del legislation, prop rights/right to livelihood, family (41 & 42) , due course, locus standi, privacy and abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

I've just noticed that I missed the topic of prior restraint. Any chance anyone could send me notes on it? Is it important?

thats part of freedom of expression - not a topic in itself
    mahon v post publications case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    A question re constitutional exam. (a) how significant is the Tuohy Test, if you have learnt the Heaney test? If you were to concentrate on 8 topics what would they be? For me SOP, Non-del legislation, prop rights/right to livelihood, family (41 & 42) , due course, locus standi, privacy and abortion.

Its very important. Its just as important as the Heaney test because the courts can use both. As they did in Murphy v IRTC.

If you're going to learn one, you may aswell know none.

Starting to get a bad dose of the the butterflies now for wednesday morning, Company Law. So far I've covered reasonably thoroughly:

Separate legal personality
    borrowing
    retention of title clauses
    Directors
    Receivers
    Liquidators
    Examiners
    Restrictions S150
    Disqualifications S160
    Minority Oppression

In terms of Thomas B. Courtney's Greatest Hits, what other major ( AND EASY) topic would people recommend for last-minute study?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Avatargh

Gibbonw2 wrote: »

With all due respect, I don't understand how you "learn" the Heaney test save if you are simply referring to learning the statement adopted from Chaulk. I think you're missing the far, far wider points of (a) the difference in the tests from a separation of powers perspective and (b) the difference / in consistency in their application.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Avatargh

Yes. Ties in closely with media expression, which seems quite prevalent on the exam. In short, it means that Courts ought be less willing to restrain speech before it occurs. However, this doesn't mean they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

JCJCJC wrote: »

In terms of Thomas B. Courtney's Greatest Hits, what other major ( AND EASY) topic would people recommend for last-minute study?

I think Meetings and Statutory Duties on Insolvency could be due a whirl, and aren't that big of areas to cover..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Maurice Levy

I have made a mistake by not reading some of the information that the Law Society has sent me until today.
    First, I thought that it was possible to check in legislation on the morning of the exam and second, I also thought that bringing in an older copy of legislation that has been used for the FE 1's was ok. My copy of the Companies act is 1963- 2006.
    I have Company Law on Wednesday and I am in Donegal. I presume that I will have to go to Dublin early and purchase a new copy of the Companies acts on Tuesday and hand it in. Can anyone tell me where I could purchase one at such short notice?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement