Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Awfull Lawfull

JCJCJC wrote: »
    I thought the floating charges question was very loosely framed, I took it to be a write-all-you-know question and did that. Sean & Seamus and the sinking cruise ship just shows that these exams can be topical, thankfully I had restriction done to death and could recall the cases, USIT was a big help there.
    Yeah I was thinking that as well .Restriction was not one of my better ones,so I had to string it out as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

DeSourire wrote: »
    That exact question with the insurance twist came up before-the topics may not be predictable but the questions can certainly be prepared in advance.

Interesting, hope I don't need the tip for October. The insurance angle was in a different question wasn't it - the roofing contractors and incorporation. What sort of answer had you for that, in general terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ryan606

I found it tough to be honest... I did Ostensible authority,S205,Transfer of Shares and Restriction of Directors ( with only one case !) and only managed to start another question...Alot of what I had prepared did not come up so I was dissapointed,and therefore left with little choice.I obviously misjudged what to cover :( Oh well onwards and upwards to Equity...

I thought it was a pretty reasonable paper- what topics had you banked on coming up that didnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mojo22

Thought the Company Law exam was ok.
    Ran out of time though. Just hope I can scrape a pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

Just wondering how people found Company today ?

I found it pretty straight forward, especially compared to the October one.. however in saying that I completely blanked on caselaw in the corp authority and shareholder protection questions.. and ran out of time for question 8 so barely scribbled down points for that question.. praying for 50! The thoughts of having to sit it again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

Has anyone here had to delay a training contract due to failing FE1s? How do firms react to it, especially big 5 firms? I am definitely going to be back in October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DaleWinton

Does anyone have GCD EU sample answers for the 2010 and 2011 papers?

I can swap samples for any other subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lolita60

DaleWinton wrote: »
    Does anyone have GCD EU sample answers for the 2010 and 2011 papers?

I can swap samples for any other subject.

I can send them on to you. Just sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 27 noseriously

Just a quick Q on Property - I want to have some basic stuff on treasure trove, just in case it comes up again, I have Webb v. Ireland, National Monuments Act and Armory, Elwes and Parker for finding, is there any other cases I could use? I really only want to know a bit as a back-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DeSourire

Just a quick Q on Property - I want to have some basic stuff on treasure trove, just in case it comes up again, I have Webb v. Ireland, National Monuments Act and Armory, Elwes and Parker for finding, is there any other cases I could use? I really only want to know a bit as a back-up!

That seems fine I would through in Hanna v Peel but after that you should be fine, I find I learn far too much case law and never refer to half of it in the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 LSH

Hey

Anyone have any tips for contract??

This is what I am covering:

Privity of contract
    Discharge of contractual obligations: Breach & frustration
    Remedies
    Misrep
    Mistake
    Undue Influence??
    Offer / Acceptance
    Consideration / Estoppel
    Capacity to contract
    Illegal contracts
    Restraint of trade
    Exemption clauses

I feel like I am covering the whole course!!!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Waverly Borough Council .v. Fletcher - concerned finding objects in land in a public place, it was held that if the owner of the land manifested control over that public place then he would take possession, but if he didn't then finder would take possession, so a shop or a park would see little control and so the finder would take possession, however a bank would see high control and the owner of the land would take possession.

DeSourire wrote: »
    That seems fine I would through in Hanna v Peel but after that you should be fine, I find I learn far too much case law and never refer to half of it in the exam.

What's Hanna .v. Peel about? Never heard of it..

It is just another case re finding an object on private property above the land. It wouldn't be on the same level of Webb or anything. A soldier finds a brooch in a house (not occupied by the owner) and gives it to police who in turn give it to the owner of the property but finder was deemed to have better title here.

Would anyone have any sample answers for land, I can swap for eu, I'm just have a few issues with some of the problem questions and my manual does not have the answers. (that obviously gives me great confidence going into this exam tomorrow!)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Charlie D

Has anyone here had to delay a training contract due to failing FE1s? How do firms react to it, especially big 5 firms? I am definitely going to be back in October.

I feel your pain. Thinking the same thing myself. EEEKkkkkk

Charlie D wrote: »

In some of the contracts it states that you have to get them within a certain amount of sittings but tbh I've heard of so many deferring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ryan606

Most firms give you three attempts to sit them- I know thats the deal with mine anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JLex

the paper was not too bad :) loved the president q :D

Any final tips for property?

I seem to have co ownership, family home protection, adverse possession, most of succession, treasure trove/finding covered well.... back up's are easements and landlord and tenant. (hoping I don't have to answer with those back up's only have a vague knowledge of them, will be going over them again today but would prefer the others).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lolita60

chops018 wrote: »
    Any final tips for property?

I seem to have co ownership, family home protection, adverse possession, most of succession, treasure trove/finding covered well.... back up's are easements and landlord and tenant. (hoping I don't have to answer with those back up's only have a vague knowledge of them, will be going over them again today but would prefer the others).

Sounds like you would have 5 questions covered for even the worst of papers!! You should be grand :D

Starting to panic myself now... Case names are not willing to stay in my head :/

• Advertisement

lolita60 wrote: »
    Sounds like you would have 5 questions covered for even the worst of papers!! You should be grand :D

Starting to panic myself now... Case names are not willing to stay in my head :/

Yeah bit of panic at the moment alright, just hoping for the above as I said, really don't want to have to do a question on the back up's.. Once I remember the stuff I should be grand, please no blanks tomorrow haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 filosoraptor

Anyone have any input as to what the issues in Q7 were about? Talked about right to livelihood mainly but have a feeling there were others in there that I missed??

Anyone have any input as to what the issues in Q7 were about? Talked about right to livelihood mainly but have a feeling there were others in there that I missed??

I just said also that the 25,000 could be an undue burden on small proportion of community on right to property Blake Employment Equality Bill case law

Also maybe the fact it was criminal and the offence seemed quite vague - AG v King

I really have no idea but again I spent most of it on livelihood.

While I imagine there have been nastier papers out there I felt under huge pressure for time.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Interesting question re treasure trove. If an item is found in land then it is owned by the owner of the the land. What's the story though where the person who owns the land doesn't occupy it? If an item is found in leased land, does the item go to the lessee or the lessor?

Scrap the last post - as finished constitutional now and have property tomorrow would really love an answer on this from anyone who knows their stuff on finding - all the examiner reports say that the OCCUPIER gets it if within the land - does that mean, for example, that a lessee with a 99 year lease gets to keep it or will it still go to the owner?? Thanks to anyone who knows - this came up as an issue on one of the recent exams so would really appreciate the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Fe1erere

For some reason i think a possible mention of the executive as the distributor of state resources re separation of powers..As funding is distributed by the executive for such schemes, it is not for Brian and co to fund the scheme?....might be way off:D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

Also in the same boat, about as much chance of me being elected Taoiseach next week as of passing all 5 exams :/ my contract doesn't mention about number of sittings, bt I know a few trainees in the firm definetly did 3 sittings do should be ok, my contract has an open ended start date up til 2014 so hoping they won't mind tooo much, I'm sure there are plenty of ppl
    Happy to take our 2012 spots :)

Also in the same boat, about as much chance of me being elected taiseach next week as of passing all 5 exams :/ my contract doesn't mention about number of sittings, bt I know a few trainees in the firm definetly did 3 sittings do should be ok, my contract has an open ended start date up til 2014 so hoping they won't mind tooo much, I'm sure there are plenty of ppl
    Happy to take our 2012 spots :)

My contract doesn't mention a limit either. And also has the up until the 2014 limit. It must happen every year, as long as we are not all going to the one firm and all fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 24 filosoraptor

I just said also that the 25,000 could be an undue burden on small proportion of community on right to property Blake Employment Equality Bill case law

Also maybe the fact it was criminal and the offence seemed quite vague - AG v King

I really have no idea but again I spent most of it on livelihood.

While I imagine there have been nastier papers out there I felt under huge pressure for time.

Interesting about the vague criminal offence, never thought of that. Done a little bit on equality at the end based on the exemption under s.3(4). Dunno if it was relevant though. I was very tight on time myself but i think that's normal for exams like Criminal & Constitutional where there are so many linked issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 noseriously

OK, so I'm doing:
    Succession
    Finding/Treasure Trove
    Family Property
    Registered and Unregistered Land
    Easements
    Adverse Possession
    Mortgages
    Does that sound OK or do I need to do co-ownership as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Q7 was a bit of a bastard today to be fair, avoided it like the plague, couldn't make head or tails of it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement