Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

chops018 wrote: »
    Just wondering are we allowed to write on the exam paper, in college whne doing an exam I'd read the question and jot down cases and points on the actual exam paper beside the question.

I usually put a header on the back page of the answer book = 'Rough Work'. I doodle the cases there, relevant or nearly relevant, splurging whatever anagrams, mind-maps, diagrams etc I have dancing around in my head. If I'm in the middle of Q1 after twenty minutes and I get a flashback of a case reference I'll need for Q4, down it goes on the rough work. I heard one time that an examiner will at least glance at it, and if it shows a decent knowledge of a wide range of cases and topics, it might just take a 49 over the line. Eg in Company this time, I did the restriction question but I whacked down the disqualification cases as well because they are closely related in principle. The main thing is to plan the structure of your answer to some extent, wherever you do the doodle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Thanks for the replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Succession can't come up every year.

/runs away

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Succession can't come up every year.

/runs away

yeah, if people stopped dying there'd be no need for wills.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

there will be 2 questions on it!

i would actually laugh if it didnt though - cause 75% will fail! lol....
    but as there is a secret quota i believe it wont make any difference!

1st post - who are you ! u deserve a good slap - teasing people b4 exams!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 noseriously

I'll have to remember that if there's a question asking for suggested reforms of Succession law, JC! Think I'm done for tonight. Just have to hope that what I've learned sticks. Best of Luck to everyone tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

A fairly reliable source just tole me there are 8 casenote Q's coming up. Good luck guys

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DeSourire

Hogzy wrote: »
    A fairly reliable source just tole me there are 8 casenote Q's coming up. Good luck guys

Ha and they're all on succession law!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

by any chance is there anybody else staying in the ibis or red cow weekend that would like to meet up even for a cuppa tae- i've been here since tues and i'm stuck here til next thurs and worried i'll go loopy- have equity and eu mon and tues so didn't think it was worth my while driving all way home and back again, no pressure, just PM if you're around :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 neenee

Would anyone be able to tell me what came up on the last criminal law paper?(Oct 2011) would really appreciate it thanks!!

• Advertisement

Overall I didn't like it, only 4 out of the 8 I studied came up.. really happy with one answer did ok in the other 3 and just attempted one other.

Q1. Succession - Problem: capacity, requirements, revocation, s. 117 provision for children.
    Q2. Land Registration - essay.
    Q3. Adverse Possession - Problem: I had most of the cases for the elements and had other info, the facts were tricky to be honest, I forgot the relevant case for when a new person takes over the adverse possession that the time still runs.
    Q4. i. Rights and Responsibilities of cohabitants in relation to property.
    ii. Rights of Residence.
    iii. Rights and Responsibilities of joint tenants in relation to property.
    Q5. Actually not too sure what it was about at the time, it was a problem question seeing if the person had an interest in the house, she was a housekeeper but went above and beyond that and cared for the owner, said she expected to get the home etc. Realised now that it was a problem question on whether the house keeper had a licence to stay in the house.
    Q6. Essay on how the approach of the Irish Courts on the admissibility of extrinsic evidence.
    Q7. Easements: Problem: right of way, right to light. Acquisition.
    Q8. Essay: Under landlord and tenant law, a landlord cannot reasonably withhold his consent to a change or use of alienation.

I did:
    - question 1, was very happy with my answer.
    - question 3, was happy with the info I got down but don't think I applied it properly and would have liked cases on some other areas of the problem.
    - question 5, hadn't a clue to be honest, used it as my fifth question, incorporated promissory estoppel and equitable estoppel and discussed if she had an equitable interest to the land, hopefully I get a few marks from it. Only realised after it was about licences, wish I'd have seen this in the exam, would have mentioned it even might have got an extra mark. But hopefully I get something for incorporating estoppel as I think it was about licences and estoppel.
    - question 6, was happy enough with my answer, maybe should have went into some more depth with the cases but had all the goods.
    - question 7, gave an ok answer for this, would have liked more knowledge on the right to light, right of way wasn't too bad. I discussed Re Ellenborough Park and some of the elements required for an easement (couldn't remember them all) then discussed the right to light and right of way, then went on to say how they could be acquired - prescription: referred to common law and the 2009 act although couldn't remember much from the act just mentioned about it. Said he could argue implied reservation. Argued necessity - the Dwyer Nolan Development case. Hoping it's enough, would have preferred if it was where one cannot derogate from a grant, loads of cases on that.

Overall I wasn't happy, as I said only 4 of the 8 topics I studied came up. Would have loved a family property question and/or a treasure trove and finding objects question or even co ownership!! Hopefully I did enough to pass, as I said did one really good answer, one good (ish) answer, two ok answers and then just had a lash at a last one.

Overall I didn't like it, only 4 out of the 8 I studied came up.. really happy with one answer did ok in the other 3 and just attempted one other.

Q1. Succession - Problem: capacity, requirements, revocation, s. 111 provision for children.
    Q2. Land Registration - essay.
    Q3. Adverse Possession - Problem: I had most of the cases for the elements and had other info, the facts were tricky to be honest, I forgot the relevant case for when a new person takes over the adverse possession that the time still runs.
    Q4. i. Rights and Responsibilities of cohabitants in relation to property.
    ii. Rights of Residence.
    iii. Rights and Responsibilities of joint tenants in relation to property.
    Q5. Actually not too sure what it was about, it was a problem question seeing if the person had an interest in the house, she was a housekeeper but went above and beyond that and cared for the owner, said she expected to get the home etc.
    Q6. Essay on how the approach of the Irish Courts on the admissibility of extrinsic evidence.
    Q7. Easements: Problem: right of way, right to light. Acquisition.
    Q8. Essay: Under landlord and tenant law, a landlord cannot reasonably withhold his consent to a change or use of alienation.

I did:
    - question 1, was very happy with my answer.
    - question 3, was happy with the info I got down but don't think I applied it properly and would have liked cases on some other areas of the problem.
    - question 5, hadn't a clue to be honest, used it as my fifth question, incorporated promissory estoppel and equitable estoppel and discussed if she had an equitable interest to the land, hopefully I get a few marks from it.
    - question 6, was happy enough with my answer, maybe should have went into some more depth with the cases but had all the goods.
    - question 7, gave an ok answer for this, would have liked more knowledge on the right to light, right of way wasn't too bad. I discussed Re Ellenborough Park and some of the elements required for an easement (couldn't remember them all) then discussed the right to light and right of way, then went on to say how they could be acquired - prescription: referred to common law and the 2009 act although couldn't remember much from the act just mentioned about it. Said he could argue implied reservation. Argued necessity - the Dwyer Nolan Development case. Hoping it's enough, would have preferred if it was where one cannot derogate from a grant, loads of cases on that.

Overall I wasn't happy, as I said only 4 of the 8 topics I studied came up. Would have loved a family property question and/or a treasure trove and finding objects question. Hopefully I did enough to pass, as I said did one really good answer, one good (ish) answer, two ok answers and then just had a lash at a last one.

You are not alone! I didn't like it either and all my friends came out complaining- I suppose I just expected it to be easier.

DeSourire wrote: »
    You are not alone! I didn't like it either and all my friends came out complaining- I suppose I just expected it to be easier.

Well at least if most people weren't happy with it then the marking might go a little bit easier.. Just attempted question 5 to have a fifth question, only realised after it was about licences, glad I incorporated estoppel and talked about how she might/might not have an equitable interest but raging I didn't even just get a mention in about licences.. Hopefully I'll get 4 or 5 marks for it.

What questions did you attempt? Really was a harder exam than the last 5 or 6 one's from looking at the exam papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭IsaacWunder

I heard from a very good source that succession wont be coming up this year!!! f..ked!

Mods?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

i am the same- i am not really happy with it, i just feel like i didn't really get down on paper most of stuff i had learned- i attempted four and a half- 2 succession questions- but i don't think my problem answer was best- adverse possession question, easements problem and half q on rights and responsibilities of joint tenants. Hopefully she will be a nice marker- 50 on the nose and i'd be delirah... glad i wasn't only one who didn't like paper- i just feel cheated- paff!

i am the same- i am not really happy with it, i just feel like i didn't really get down on paper most of stuff i had learned- i attempted four and a half- 2 succession questions- but i don't think my problem answer was best- adverse possession question, easements problem and half q on rights and responsibilities of joint tenants. Hopefully she will be a nice marker- 50 on the nose and i'd be delirah... glad i wasn't only one who didn't like paper- i just feel cheated- paff!

I'm the same, I'll be so happy to see 50, I'm kinda thinking it will be either 50 or a little bit over or else 40's.. can't see myself having gotten lower than 40 but can't see myself gotten higher than 55. Yeah at least we're not alone. I'd say a lot of people were stuck for a 5th question.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭banterful

Faaack didn't spot the successive squatters issue in the AP q, it's jumping out at me now but read q so quickly I didn't realise it was joe that erected the growing rooms!! Aaaaargh hope this isn't a big issue? How could I not spot that argh! Rest of exam went well hope I'm not overly penalised for that now after all the work that went into it!

banterful wrote: »
    Faaack didn't spot the successive squatters issue in the AP q, it's jumping out at me now but read q so quickly I didn't realise it was joe that erected the growing rooms!! Aaaaargh hope this isn't a big issue? How could I not spot that argh! Rest of exam went well hope I'm not overly penalised for that now after all the work that went into it!

Hopefully you won't be, seemed like a small issue and both didn't seem to pass the elements, did they? I just mentioned successive squatters but forgot the case for it unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

Oh dear god, i wrote about proprietary estoppel for Geraldine, buuurned.

Well at least if most people weren't happy with it then the marking might go a little bit easier.. Just attempted question 5 to have a fifth question, only realised after it was about licences, glad I incorporated estoppel and talked about how she might/might not have an equitable interest but raging I didn't even just get a mention in about licences.. Hopefully I'll get 4 or 5 marks for it.

What questions did you attempt? Really was a harder exam than the last 5 or 6 one's from looking at the exam papers.

I did the two succession questions, the JT rights and responsibilIties (part question), the right if residence (part q), Licences and adverse possession.

I just felt the problem questions were really poorly structured on her part. Ugh!! It's over with now thank god, hopefully we all get the 50!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mirm

brannid3 wrote: »
    I also out in proprietary estoppel along wit licences!

brannid3 wrote: »

I touched on proprietary and promissory estoppel and argued if she had an equitable interest in the property. Raging I missed out on the licence part to it, even a mention would surely have got a mark or two with incorporating estoppel. Also I kinda blanked with regard estoppel, wasn't too bad I remembered the elements needed and discussed them a bit, but only remembered like 2 or 3 cases for it, would have preferred more seeing as I was only attempting it for my 5th question to hopefully pick up a few attempt marks. Hopefully the other 4 will get me the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 noseriously

Oh thak god, I thought I was the only one who found it hard! The AP question was horrible, succession prob q was grand but I thought the essay one was a bit overly specific, felt like I didn't know enough cases for it. Easements was okish but fifth question was a mad stab in the dark at the registered land one. There's no way I passed that.

Fair play to the guys from CityColleges handing out the night before notes and predictions for equtiy after the exam.

mirm wrote: »

Ya sorry I wrote about estoppel licence-my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Anybody feeling charitable enough to post up those predictions for Equity?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 roisinfitch

mirm wrote: »

Ya sorry I wrote about estoppel licence-my bad!
    So it wasnt proprietary estoppel?! Did anyone think the succession question ended with intestancy?? Such a tricky paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JLex

Fair play to the guys from CityColleges handing out the night before notes and predictions for equtiy after the exam.

Hi,
    can you please let us know what are the predictions for equit/ whats on city college notes?:D thanks ! :)

They said there are nine topics for careful revision:

- Injunctions, particularly Mareva.
    - Specific Performance.
    - Rectification.
    - Undue Influence.
    - Secret Trusts.
    - Charitable Trusts.
    - Quistclose Trusts.
    - Trusteeship.
    - Tracing.

I'm kinda raging the three certainties and non charitable purpose trusts aren't on it, I have a good knowledge of them, also proprietary estoppel.

Anyway of the above tips I have Mareva covered, part of specific performance covered (mainly with regard sale of land), most of rectification, part of undue influence (the UI to third parties, with regard the banks and guarantors), Charitable Trusts (espcially relief of poverty and advancement of education.

Along with those 5 from the tips and the 3 I mentioned above that's what I have done, does anyone think that tonight I should do another couple from the tips as back up then use Saturday and Sunday for revision? I was also thinking of covering resulting trusts (joint bank accounts) as that sometimes comes up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 lilfeely

So it wasnt proprietary estoppel?! Did anyone think the succession question ended with intestancy?? Such a tricky paper!

I thought question 5 was proprietary estoppel too....no?! Thats all I wrote about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement