Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mojo22

lolita60 wrote: »
    Do ye think I've cut down too much....So far I've covered:

Maxims
    3 certanties
    Strong v Bird
    Donatio Mortis Causa
    Anton Pillar&Mareva
    Rectification
    Specific Performance - Recission - Undue Influence
    Secret Trusts
    Charitable (Poor&Education)
    Quistclose

Just need to go over them all again :/

If you have time definitely add in a few more topics just in case. Imo tracing may come up, as it didnt appear last time. Also cy pres. Estoppel. Just to give yourself a better chance.

if you have access to sample answers they are invaluable when revising just before the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lolita60

Mojo22 wrote: »
    If you have time definitely add in a few more topics just in case. Imo tracing may come up, as it didnt appear last time. Also cy pres. Estoppel. Just to give yourself a better chance.

if you have access to sample answers they are invaluable when revising just before the exams.

Have been avoiding tracing like the plague but think I'll have to do it!! :rolleyes: Have a bit done on cy-res and estoppal but very much doubt estoppal will come up for the 4th time in a row!! Its an easy one to cover!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

What can ppl advise me as to whether to do competition law or else equality/state aid & mergers for EU exam. I only have one day for either. I'm covering everything else then from the manual except for judicial review/ individual complaints and private international law. Am I limiting myself too much? Head is melted!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Kamilat wrote: »
    What can ppl advise me as to whether to do competition law or else equality/state aid & mergers for EU exam. I only have one day for either. I'm covering everything else then from the manual except for judicial review/ individual complaints and private international law. Am I limiting myself too much? Head is melted!

hard choice- competition is one of his favourites, state aids wildly topical at the moment and at one day revision course I did, lecturer said he may ask mergers again because he wasn't happy with how it was answered in last paper- i'd say do competition and hope for that to come up, but cover state aid too (three articles in your treaties) and mergers isn't entirely unrelated to competition and the regulation is in your treaties too. Hope that helps. Also equality, the cases are easy enough to remember- defrenne, barber etc. and the recast directive is in the treaties... have a look at past exam qs and see how they came up. You have pretty much everything else covered though so you should be well covered :)

hard choice- competition is one of his favourites, state aids wildly topical at the moment and at one day revision course I did, lecturer said he may ask mergers again because he wasn't happy with how it was answered in last paper- i'd say do competition and hope for that to come up, but cover state aid too (three articles in your treaties) and mergers isn't entirely unrelated to competition and the regulation is in your treaties too. Hope that helps. Also equality, the cases are easy enough to remember- defrenne, barber etc. and the recast directive is in the treaties... have a look at past exam qs and see how they came up. You have pretty much everything else covered though so you should be well covered :)[/Quote]

Thanks for that. I think I'll give the competition a shot tomorrow it just sounds fairly tough so I don't know if one day will enough to cover it...uh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Philip Burke

chops018 wrote: »
    They said there are nine topics for careful revision:

- Injunctions, particularly Mareva.
    - Specific Performance.
    - Rectification.
    - Undue Influence.
    - Secret Trusts.
    - Charitable Trusts.
    - Quistclose Trusts.
    - Trusteeship.
    - Tracing.

I'm kinda raging the three certainties and non charitable purpose trusts aren't on it, I have a good knowledge of them, also proprietary estoppel.

Anyway of the above tips I have Mareva covered, part of specific performance covered (mainly with regard sale of land), most of rectification, part of undue influence (the UI to third parties, with regard the banks and guarantors), Charitable Trusts (espcially relief of poverty and advancement of education.

Along with those 5 from the tips and the 3 I mentioned above that's what I have done, does anyone think that tonight I should do another couple from the tips as back up then use Saturday and Sunday for revision? I was also thinking of covering resulting trusts (joint bank accounts) as that sometimes comes up?

I hope this doesn't smack of ultra cautiousness, but the City Colleges night before notes are aimed at identifying the topics we feel you should focus on JUST before the exam. These are NOT, in any way, the only ones that should be revised in a more general way. In other words, my best guess is that you should pay closest attention to the topics listed. Some predictions (e.g. Quistclose trusts) are more speculative than others (e.g. trusteeship or undue influence). It's all a question of degree, and, of course, we are just like you, doing our best to predict what is sometimes an unpredictable exam.

Thanks for the kind comments on the night before notes, and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mojo22

Have been avoiding tracing like the plague but think I'll have to do it!! :rolleyes: Have a bit done on cy-res and estoppal but very much doubt estoppal will come up for the 4th time in a row!! Its an easy one to cover!!

Estoppel may not come up again, but who knows for sure really. Just know about it & a couple of cases just in case your stuck for a 5th q. it is easy to cover.

Have a quick look over trustees just in case it may appear.

If you do all those you will give yourself a better choice to choose from.

Best of luck with the study

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I really wish we could bring in the Charities Act 2009 to the Equity paper. Remembering the details of some sections, especially S3(11), is a pain.

just going over injunctions again tonight- i'm looking at quia timet, mareva and anton piller- but i would be hoping to see quia timet problem on the exam paper, that would be a sweeeeet question- anyways...

for mareva, are people thinking if it comes up it might be a problem or essay question? It's come up as essay last 2/3 times i think but there is one question couple years back about the interior decorator and furniture shop etc. The reason i ask is because i am wondering how much detail people are studying worldwide Marevas in and worldwide Marevas and third parties. The Independent manual is a complete mess on Mareva injs IMO, the griffith manual is 10 times better for equity than the IC- and City Colleges distributed very detailed night before notes- but i just read through all the worldwide stuff having everything else prepared- origins, full and frank disclosure, substantive action, good arguable case, intention to dissipate, i have some lines on Brussels regulation/ Caudron v Air Zaire aspect but i have not gone into any depth on worldwide marevas and third parties or enforcing worldwide marevas in other jurisdictions... do you think this might come up in a problem question? How are other people approaching revision for Marevas?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

FOOKED wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has exam grids for Contract of Criminal- feeling a bit overwhelmed and starting to panic that I'm not identifying the questions properly. Kinda freaking out! Would really appreciate any help!

Thanks,
    Fooked

I find that the closer to the exam you are the less you should even look at papers and just try to learn everything off by heart and at the very least understand it. From my own experience ( six passed so far) , I find that it just freaks me out if I dont understand what the questions are, which very often I dont and these exams seem to be more about trying to keep your cool and putting stuff down that makes sense.

I was terrified before I did my criminal exam as there is a great deal of statute and cases to cover...but of all the exams so far - I did best in it, as he seems to like it if you have an opinion here and there in the essays. The criminal lecturer in Independent colleges was spot on tips wise three exams back when I did criminal .

An exam grid in contract is of no use as the new examiner will probably be starting from her own preferences. What I am doing for this one is trying to cover the whole course minus agency and by some miracle try to remember it all! What did Brian Foley suggest would come up this time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 lolita60

Would anyone have Equity sample answers for 2011??

I've a lot of materials so try me if your looking for anything in particular!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 neenee

Would anyone be able to tell me what came up on the last criminal law paper?(Oct 2011) would really appreciate it thanks a mill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 neenee

Would anyone have Equity sample answers for 2011??

I've a lot of materials so try me if your looking for anything in particular!!

:D

Sorry I have no Equity sample answers but would you know what came up on the oct 2011 criminal paper? I don't have that paper and am sitting the exam on wed, thanks a mill !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

neenee wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to tell me what came up on the last criminal law paper?(Oct 2011) would really appreciate it thanks a mill!

Q1. Classification of a Crime.
    Q2. i. Arrest. ii. Right to Silence.
    Q3. Omissions.
    Q4. Court Of Crimial Appeal and Special Criminal Court.
    Q5. i. Rape (Consent). ii. Marital Rape. iii. Sexual Assault. iv. Non Consent to Penetration of an Object.
    Q6. Manlaughter/Murder - Negligence - Necessity.
    Q7. Attempted Murder/Manslaughter. Assault. Insanity.
    Q8. Burglary. Robbery. Syringe Offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

just going over injunctions again tonight- i'm looking at quia timet, mareva and anton piller- but i would be hoping to see quia timet problem on the exam paper, that would be a sweeeeet question- anyways...

for mareva, are people thinking if it comes up it might be a problem or essay question? It's come up as essay last 2/3 times i think but there is one question couple years back about the interior decorator and furniture shop etc. The reason i ask is because i am wondering how much detail people are studying worldwide Marevas in and worldwide Marevas and third parties. The Independent manual is a complete mess on Mareva injs IMO, the griffith manual is 10 times better for equity than the IC- and City Colleges distributed very detailed night before notes- but i just read through all the worldwide stuff having everything else prepared- origins, full and frank disclosure, substantive action, good arguable case, intention to dissipate, i have some lines on Brussels regulation/ Caudron v Air Zaire aspect but i have not gone into any depth on worldwide marevas and third parties or enforcing worldwide marevas in other jurisdictions... do you think this might come up in a problem question? How are other people approaching revision for Marevas?

I'm also wondering about mareva's with regard world wide, don't have much on brussels regulation and that case you mentioned, could you shed some light on it for me to just have a few lines on it please.

Anyway, I have a good knowledge on Intention to Dissipate and Full and Frank Disclosure, from the last 6 sittings they didn't ask about world wide, does anyone think they will? Don't really want to go near it to be honest but I will tomorrow if people think there is a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 noseriously

Ok, so for Equity I am doing:
    Injunctions, esp Marevas
    Secret Trusts
    Charitable/Cy-Pres
    Quistclose Trusts
    Proprietary Estoppel
    Rectification
    Rescission & Undue Influence
    Tracing
    Specific Performance

Does that sound like enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 je77rey

Has anyone got a Criminal Law exam grid? I have Criminal and Contract sample answers and a Contract exam grid if anyone wants to swap!!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Awful question
    Rape of a child or sex assault of a child u17/15 is defined as:

"engaging in a sexual act." s2 or s3! not rape or sex assault??

Rape s2 the normal understanding of rape - non consensual intercourse!

Rape s4 - of course i can read but! if an object manipulated by a man is his P****, surely that rape under s2 also??? or i assume that object cant be a mans P**** (hate asking these questions - but id prefer to pass my exam than be shy about it)

i really dont want to answer the question mixing up s2 or s4 rape!

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Awful question
    Rape of a child or sex assault of a child u17/15 is defined as:

"engaging in a sexual act." s2 or s3! not rape or sex assault??

Rape s2 the normal understanding of rape - non consensual intercourse!

Rape s4 - of course i can read but! if an object manipulated by a man is his P****, surely that rape under s2 also??? or i assume that object cant be a mans P**** (hate asking these questions - but id prefer to pass my exam than be shy about it)

i really dont want to answer the question mixing up s2 or s4 rape!

i think rape under s.4 is man's penis or any other object anywhere other than a lady's vagina? like rape under s.2 is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse where man's penis penetrates lady's vagina... and then section 4 rape is mans penis other than vagina or those random things that pop up in exams like boys sticking pencils in lady's vagina etc. I think. It has been months since i studied criminal law!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

i think rape under s.4 is man's penis or any other object anywhere other than a lady's vagina? like rape under s.2 is defined as non-consensual sexual intercourse where man's penis penetrates lady's vagina... and then section 4 rape is mans penis other than vagina or those random things that pop up in exams like boys sticking pencils in lady's vagina etc. I think. It has been months since i studied criminal law!
    But:
    Rape under section 4 .
    4.—(1) In this Act “rape under section 4 ” means a sexual assault that includes—

(b) penetration (however slight) of the vagina by any object held or manipulated by another person.

very hard to memorise stuff u dont understand - but i guess thats what people do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    But:
    Rape under section 4 .
    4.—(1) In this Act “rape under section 4 ” means a sexual assault that includes—

(b) penetration (however slight) of the vagina by any object held or manipulated by another person.

very hard to memorise stuff u dont understand - but i guess thats what people do

Penis in vagina: s.2 rape
    Penis in mouth/anus: s.4 rape
    Object in vagina; s.4 rape

Object in anus: NOT s.4 rape, but might be sexual assault

You are over thinking what 'manipulated' means in this context, don't worry about it so much, it really is that straightforward :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Criminal Law (Rape) Act 1981
    Section 2(1): ("convential" rape) =
      penetration of vagina by penis

Criminal Law (Rape) (Amendment) Act 1990
    Section 4: ("section 4 rape") =
      penetration of mouth / anus by penis
      penetration of vagina by object (not fingers)

Section 2: sexual assault

Section 3: sexual assault involving violence or threat thereof such as to cause injury/humiliation/degredation

Presumably, if the act does not fall within "conventional rape" (for want of a better term) or "section 4" rape then it necessarily is classified as "sexual assault" under CL(R)(A)Act'90 section 2...?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

Could the sun not have waited to come out next weekend - torture - have had to close curtains and pretend its night time - too distracting!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Typical isn't it! 20 degrees today and good weather to continue until Wednesday or Thursday if we're lucky. :rolleyes:. And it's my bloody birthday on Tuesday :(

Only 4 more sleeps though until freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Awfull Lawfull

Just drove from Cork to the Twilight Zone,aka the Ibis with the sun beaming down on me all the way :( Is it Wednesday yet ???

• Registered Users Posts: 17 -splatto-

Question if anyone could help me. I passed my first 4 FE1s last october and am currently in the middle of sitting my next four at the moment but they are not going well.I put too much pressure on myself while working at the time etc etc. Ive sat Company and Constitutional so far...Company was ok..not great but I think I might scrap a pass in it,Constitutional was a defitine fail,I left too much to do the night before and could only really answer 3 and a half questions.

Anyway Ive got Eu and Contract coming this week and and I have deicded that I am going to sacrifice Eu and concentrating on contract as I will not get enough done to even come close to passing both, in particular eu and I would prefer the idea of maybe passing 2/4 of these then 1/4 or even 0/4. Anyway what I wanted to know was,do I have to actually sit Eu on Tuesday?I only indtend to be there for an hour tops and it would save me precious time to study contract with travelling time to dublin etc. I know for the first set of fe1s it is mandatory that you sit all 4, but is this the same in my case where I already have the first 4 passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

chops018 wrote: »
    But just because you came to the wrong conclusion doesn't mean much does it, surely you will get good few marks for discussing s 77 and 78 and revocation and possibility of s. 111 and s. 117 and come to your own conclusion then?

For what it's worth, I made an absolute shocker of a mistake on a succession question in October (think I said it was invalid because it wasn't signed or something..) and I got 54 overall. My other 4 answers wouldn't have been amazing so she may not punish mistakes too severely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

-splatto- wrote: »
    Question if anyone could help me. I passed my first 4 FE1s last october and am currently in the middle of sitting my next four at the moment but they are not going well.I put too much pressure on myself while working at the time etc etc. Ive sat Company and Constitutional so far...Company was ok..not great but I think I might scrap a pass in it,Constitutional was a defitine fail,I left too much to do the night before and could only really answer 3 and a half questions.

Anyway Ive got Eu and Contract coming this week and and I have deicded that I am going to sacrifice Eu and concentrating on contract as I will not get enough done to even come close to passing both, in particular eu and I would prefer the idea of maybe passing 2/4 of these then 1/4 or even 0/4. Anyway what I wanted to know was,do I have to actually sit Eu on Tuesday?I only indtend to be there for an hour tops and it would save me precious time to study contract with travelling time to dublin etc. I know for the first set of fe1s it is mandatory that you sit all 4, but is this the same in my case where I already have the first 4 passed?

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The answer is definitely you don't have to sit it. You have your first four, you can now finish any way you like, within the five-year limit, obviously. One of the invigilators told me that there ts a 12% absenteeism rate this time, which he said is a change, usually it is 20% approx. So that many people pay the exam fee and don't show up on the day, you're not alone.
    I have EU on tuesday, not feeling happy about it at all, it just doesn't stick in my head and even cramming is no good because it's too damn wordy - pages and pages about sweet f-all. I'll be seeing the Cow again some morning in October I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

Reminder for anyone with exams this week that the clocks went forward last night. Your exam is an hour earlier now.

• Advertisement

JCJCJC wrote: »

Sorry to hear of your troubles. The answer is definitely you don't have to sit it. You have your first four, you can now finish any way you like, within the five-year limit, obviously. One of the invigilators told me that there ts a 12% absenteeism rate this time, which he said is a change, usually it is 20% approx. So that many people pay the exam fee and don't show up on the day, you're not alone.
    I have EU on tuesday, not feeling happy about it at all, it just doesn't stick in my head and even cramming is no good because it's too damn wordy - pages and pages about sweet f-all. I'll be seeing the Cow again some morning in October I think.

I'm feeling the exact same JC even though I was hoping that I won't have to repeat EU. What topics r u concentrating on? It's too long...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement