Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭-aboutagirl-

Also struggling with EU and worried I don't have enough of the course covered :(

Fingers crossed it's not a nasty paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭brannid3

-splatto- wrote: »
    Question if anyone could help me. I passed my first 4 FE1s last october and am currently in the middle of sitting my next four at the moment but they are not going well.I put too much pressure on myself while working at the time etc etc. Ive sat Company and Constitutional so far...Company was ok..not great but I think I might scrap a pass in it,Constitutional was a defitine fail,I left too much to do the night before and could only really answer 3 and a half questions.

Anyway Ive got Eu and Contract coming this week and and I have deicded that I am going to sacrifice Eu and concentrating on contract as I will not get enough done to even come close to passing both, in particular eu and I would prefer the idea of maybe passing 2/4 of these then 1/4 or even 0/4. Anyway what I wanted to know was,do I have to actually sit Eu on Tuesday?I only indtend to be there for an hour tops and it would save me precious time to study contract with travelling time to dublin etc. I know for the first set of fe1s it is mandatory that you sit all 4, but is this the same in my case where I already have the first 4 passed?

Think positive dude. EU was my ghost fourth and I passed it in October while failing company which I worked my ass off for, if you can cover the freedoms and another 2 topics you might get lucky like i did if you decide to take a stab at it. You aren't alone with constitutional, Nightmare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Kamilat wrote: »
    I'm feeling the exact same JC even though I was hoping that I won't have to repeat EU. What topics r u concentrating on? It's too long...

It's a total bastard, the EU manual is five times the size of the criminal one for example. I'm definitely on a sniper strategy on this one, I need to get a few bullseyes. I've done institutions, supremacy/direct-effect/national courts and free movement of all sorts of things that probably would be better off staying put. I'll get another one or two topics crammed in today and tomorrow if the blasted sun goes in, I've already walked the dog and mended a fence as a stress-buster, getting fresh air into d'oul lungs and all that. Maybe citizenship and competition if I don't go barking mad first. Along the way there, I'd be hoping that some case might pay me back twice and pop up in the case-notes, something I vaguely know like Van Gend en Loos or Van Duyn. My opening line there is "I looked up Yvonne van Duyn on Facebook (true) and she's a fine-looking bird (also true) for her age, and for a scientologist, but then Tom Cruise is a fine-looking bloke too. No mention of Scientology on her FB page, but that didn't stop some miserable sod of an immigration official in Gatwick putting her on a plane back home one bright May morning. That sparked off a chain of events, that end up with me in the Red Cow wishing the invigilator would drool at the other end of the hall and give the ABC end a break..."

Back to it.

JC :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Also struggling with EU and worried I don't have enough of the course covered :(

Fingers crossed it's not a nasty paper!

me too, like we should all brace ourselves for one nasty surprise i.e. him leaving out one of the golden 5, but even if four of them come up, and not one of my other topics (prelim rulings, state aid, equality or mergers) come up, hopefully will have enough to attempt the case note question anyway. I've stopped looking at past exam papers for EU cos they just freak me out. I've equity to get over first tomorrow so here's hoping tomorrow night i'll be able to swallow my notes and hopefully get a chance to write about what i know on Tues morn. The pass rate is like 66% or something i think which is pretty good, and if all else fails, at least we'll have the treaties!

JCJCJC wrote: »
    It's a total bastard, the EU manual is five times the size of the criminal one for example. I'm definitely on a sniper strategy on this one, I need to get a few bullseyes. I've done institutions, supremacy/direct-effect/national courts and free movement of all sorts of things that probably would be better off staying put. I'll get another one or two topics crammed in today and tomorrow if the blasted sun goes in, I've already walked the dog and mended a fence as a stress-buster, getting fresh air into d'oul lungs and all that. Maybe citizenship and competition if I don't go barking mad first. Along the way there, I'd be hoping that some case might pay me back twice and pop up in the case-notes, something I vaguely know like Van Gend en Loos or Van Duyn. My opening line there is "I looked up Yvonne van Duyn on Facebook (true) and she's a fine-looking bird (also true) for her age, and for a scientologist, but then Tom Cruise is a fine-looking bloke too. No mention of Scientology on her FB page, but that didn't stop some miserable sod of an immigration official in Gatwick putting her on a plane back home one bright May morning. That sparked off a chain of events, that end up with me in the Red Cow wishing the invigilator would drool at the other end of the hall and give the ABC end a break..."

Back to it.

lol JC that certainly is a unique approach to case note q!! Just bear in mind citizenship comes up with free movement of persons- if you on planning on doing that q you need to cover free movement of workers, establishment and services and citizenship- the way i think of it is that citizenship adds another layer of protection- it's alot of work i know for one question but the problems usually straightforward enough.

I'm just praying to god after covering three chapters of Griffith manual that he doesn't decide to leave FMOP off this paper way he left FMOG off last paper.... he's already left off institutions, competition and fmog, other two dead certs are supremacy/DE/MSL etc and FMOP questions- let the record state here i will not be surprised if one of these is not on the paper on Tuesday.

• Advertisement

lol JC that certainly is a unique approach to case note q!! .

One of the few handy things about EU in the FE1s is that you can get reasonable case summaries of the big landmak cases on Wikipedia that tell the general story of the case in plain simple English. GCD's manual is so condensed that I get no feel for the actual circumstances of the cases. It's easier to recall it if the story sticks in your head, and it might lead the examiner to think you've actually read the case, even the irrelevant fact that the bould Yvonne was returned from Gatwick. In college, the last thing you'd do is use wiki.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Kamilat wrote: »
    I'm feeling the exact same JC even though I was hoping that I won't have to repeat EU. What topics r u concentrating on? It's too long...

Back to it.

Oh I think I'm gone beyond barking mad at this stage, I'm actually counting down the hours until it's over now whilst trying to learn competition! Sad existence.. Ha! I'm pretty much the same as u topics wise. Hoping to have four at least and then random 5th hopefully a case note. Best of luck with the study, I hope he's nice to us!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

-splatto- wrote: »
    Anyway Ive got Eu and Contract coming this week and and I have deicded that I am going to sacrifice Eu and concentrating on contract as I will not get enough done to even come close to passing both, in particular eu and I would prefer the idea of maybe passing 2/4 of these then 1/4 or even 0/4. Anyway what I wanted to know was,do I have to actually sit Eu on Tuesday?I only indtend to be there for an hour tops and it would save me precious time to study contract with travelling time to dublin etc. I know for the first set of fe1s it is mandatory that you sit all 4, but is this the same in my case where I already have the first 4 passed?

There's no minimum rules once the first 3 are passed.

Just some other advice:

EU is the easiest marked FE1 by far, both in my experience and from hearing of others also.

I thought I had close to failed and I broke the 60% barrier so that shows how it goes. If you have any study done for it you should give it a shot.

Also, contract is definitely one of the easier as well so don't worry too much

Just watched the weather forecast, great for the coming week - so how are people here going to relax after the FE1s are over? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ryan606

Just watched the weather forecast, great for the coming week - so how are people here going to relax after the FE1s are over? :cool:

apparently gonna start getting cooler Fri though...typical :rolleyes:

ps cant believe I just titled a message as 'weather'- so Irish. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Fe1erere

These Koka noodles are the business....little fold-out plastic fork an all..umm (not the fork, the noodles):D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 noseriously

Meh, colder weather on Fri doesn't bother me, I'll be hitting the nearest beer garden as soon as I get out of contract on Thurs! Had such a craving for a pint yest I actually took a break and had a non-alcoholic beer...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Meh, colder weather on Fri doesn't bother me, I'll be hitting the nearest beer garden as soon as I get out of contract on Thurs! Had such a craving for a pint yest I actually took a break and had a non-alcoholic beer...
    Tell me about it! I've never craved alcohol so much in my life than in the last couple of days! Bring it...mmmm beer...

Well, I'll be finished after EU on tuesday so I'll hopefully set a few spuds on wednesday, if I even get out of the leaba. After that mammoth task, I have about 200 hours of tv to watch, recorded on the skybox. Friday is usually a great day for porter, might have a pint or two and a decent cigar with the buddies in Burke's in Limerick that evening. I need to do a bit of walking too, me bum is numb from sitting at the desk for the past few weeks.

Why is Ireland still allowed to charge a very substantial registration fee (VRT) on used cars imported from other EU countries? I'm just reading here about FMOG and I don't see any reference to a derogation, anybody know what is the basis for it? I paid a very large whack of money on a car from the UK four years ago, still sore about it ;-)

Ok people, I have ready:
    1 Injunctions (A.P, Mar, Q.T, Interloc)
    2 Undue Influence
    3 Express trusts (3C's, Strong v Bird, DMC, Constitution)
    4 Trusteeship ( Duties, Appt, Rtmt, Rmvl)
    5 Resulting Trusts (Auto, Pres, Pres Adv)
    6 Specific Perf
    7 Charitable Trusts
    8 Cy-Pres
    9 Secret Trusts
    10 Purpose Trusts...

Anyone any advice on if that will suffice, or anything to add?
    Maybe Estoppel and tracing are possibilities..

Why is Ireland still allowed to charge a very substantial registration fee (VRT) on used cars imported from other EU countries? I'm just reading here about FMOG and I don't see any reference to a derogation, anybody know what is the basis for it? I paid a very large whack of money on a car from the UK four years ago, still sore about it ;-)

Interesting one that, yeah Art 30TFEU is a non-derogating article, What about Art 110, maybe an indirect justification??
    Under "similar" 110(1), justifications for indirect discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sofakingood

Will this be enough?
    Injunctions- QT, Anton Piller
    Undue influence
    Proprietary Estoppel
    Express- 3 certainties, Strong v Bird, DMC
    Secret T
    Charitable
    Cy-Pres
    Tracing
    Quistclose

I'm probably taking a bit of a risk but don't think I can do much more at this stage.

Will this be enough?
    Injunctions- QT, Anton Piller
    Undue influence
    Proprietary Estoppel
    Express- 3 certainties, Strong v Bird, DMC
    Secret T
    Charitable
    Cy-Pres
    Tracing
    Quistclose

I'm probably taking a bit of a risk but don't think I can do much more at this stage.
    Sure i suppose we'll have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Right, after a long weekend this is the shape I'm in for equity (although I'm pretty sure I'll forget some stuff tomorrow).

- Injunctions (Interlocutory, Quia Timet, Mareva).
    - Charitable Trusts and the Cy Pres Doctrine.
    - The Three Certainties.
    - Secret Trusts (Mainly Half Secret Trusts).
    - Non Charitable Purpose Trusts and the Exceptions.
    - Proprietary Estoppel.
    - Resulting Trusts (Failure to Exhaust a Beneficial Interst, Joint Bank Accounts, Quistclose Trusts).
    - Specific Performance (Sale of Land and the Defences).
    - Tracing.
    - Rescission (Undue Influence - Third Parties).
    - Duty of Trustees (Duty to Invest).

Surely I'll get 5 questions out of those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

Maybe by the time the case to challenge the vrt comes to fruition before the courts or under the other reference procedures that are required in EU law (what are they on average at least 4 yrs? and at least three for an Irish judicial review before it can go over?) the car will have depreciated so much it will actually be in a scrap yard and you will be a partner in a firm with a company car that you wont care any more, as you will have forgotten about the little peoples' VRT :)

Maybe by the time the case to challenge the vrt comes to fruition before the courts or under the other reference procedures that are required in EU law (what are they on average at least 4 yrs? and at least three for an Irish judicial review before it can go over?) the car will have depreciated so much it will actually be in a scrap yard and you will be a partner in a firm with a company car that you wont care any more, as you will have forgotten about the little peoples' VRT :)

I paid the hoors nine grand! car still nice though ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

There's a HC case at the moment regarding this - it's from 1995 and only getting going now due to various issues of complex documents, etc.

Here's the report in IT actually: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0307/1224312914523.html

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JLex

best of luck to everyone who is doing equity tomorrow. i didn't study enough topics to defo cover 5 qs so hoping am a lucky duck and my qs will come up :-)

ok for equity i have covered
    • maxims
    • injunctions (QT, Mareva and Anton Piller)
    • undue influence
    • estoppel
    • specific performance (Ks for sale of land and defences)
    • donatio mortis causa
    • tracing
    • three certainties
    • secret trusts
    • resulting trusts (automatic- failure to exhaust beneficial interest and quistclose and presumed joint deposit a/cs and presumption of advancement)
    • charitable trusts
    • cy-pres and non-charitable purpose trusts

I know i left out trustee duties but it has been up last four papers and i just cannot fit more info into my little head, it's about to burst as it is.

Dream paper tomorrow- quia timet problem, donatio mortis causa, automatic RT and Quistclose, Charitable problem, tracing, secret trusts, undue influence.

head is melted :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

Too nervous to sleep!

Please equity examiner be lovely to us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mayebe2

Hi, Eu is a HEAD MELTER..nothing going into my brain @ all...I was wondering if anyone could swap sample answers with me? I have older ones but they are all out of date now with lisbon (some still slightly relative, like direct efffect, supremacy) however I do have other sample answers and some notes that I could happily email over...:D

You would be doing a good deed! UGH

ok for equity i have covered
    • maxims
    • injunctions (QT, Mareva and Anton Piller)
    • undue influence
    • estoppel
    • specific performance (Ks for sale of land and defences)
    • donatio mortis causa
    • tracing
    • three certainties
    • secret trusts
    • resulting trusts (automatic- failure to exhaust beneficial interest and quistclose and presumed joint deposit a/cs and presumption of advancement)
    • charitable trusts
    • cy-pres and non-charitable purpose trusts

I know i left out trustee duties but it has been up last four papers and i just cannot fit more info into my little head, it's about to burst as it is.

Dream paper tomorrow- quia timet problem, donatio mortis causa, automatic RT and Quistclose, Charitable problem, tracing, secret trusts, undue influence.

head is melted :confused:

I see you got your dream paper:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Thought Equity was grand to be honest. Mucked up one question where I answered wrong but was told that I had part of it right so hopefully I get a few marks, then for the rectification and specific performance question I was grand for specific performance, but didn't have much to say about rectification..

Other than that it was grand, straight forward enough questions I thought.

• Advertisement

Really was, shi**ing myself this morn! Tackled mareva, DMC, Auto resulting trust, only included the surplus for unincorporated associations yesterday after reading exam papers! Phew,:D Undue influence grand and two-options question..
    Roll On EU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finito

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement