Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 orangecake

I did prep courses with Independent Colleges for both Company and Constitutional law because they were two subjects I had difficulties with. In both cases I thought that the lecturers were very good and had a great feel for what was likely to come up on the papers. However, I did all the other subjects with just the manuals. In most cases, particularly if you have just finished your LLB, then that is all you will need. If there are any subjects you find it really hard to get your head around then definately do a prep course, but for the rest you will be absolutely fine with the manuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

Does anyone have any help re Property Law..Only starting to learn stuff now and really under pressure to get this exam. Is it safe enough to leave out these topics and still mangae to get five questions???? Landlord and Tenant, Convenants and Easements. Any advice would be greatly appreciated..Dont know what I am at and starting to freak out!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kgalway

orangecake wrote: »
    I did prep courses with Independent Colleges for both Company and Constitutional law because they were two subjects I had difficulties with. In both cases I thought that the lecturers were very good and had a great feel for what was likely to come up on the papers. However, I did all the other subjects with just the manuals. In most cases, particularly if you have just finished your LLB, then that is all you will need. If there are any subjects you find it really hard to get your head around then definately do a prep course, but for the rest you will be absolutely fine with the manuals.

Thanks for your help, yeah i suppose that makes more sense. There's probably need to do courses for all of them!! Im just really freaking out at the thoughts of them, going to attempt 5 in October but with new timetable its horrible!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭pink101

Can anyone give me a guideline of what they are studying for the above.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 windofchange

vote4pedro wrote: »
    Hope Company went well for whoever had it today, I've been very glad of the day off to try and get through a bit more of the Constitutional course. I'm leaving out most of the "insitutions" part of the course, just covering Sep of Powers, Dáil Elections, attorney general and judicial review. Hopefully those and all the Rights will be enough to survive 5 questions.

Quick question for anyone doing Freedom of Expression, is it necessary to go in to the detail that the Griffith College book goes in to re: defamation... would FoExpression question really require bringing in all of those ECtHR decisions, or for FoE am I better off just sticking to Public Order/Morality/Security of State/Contempt of Court and knowing a bit about Reynolds v. UK in defamation?

Scroll back a few pages - I think this was raised etc a while back. Not too long though...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 equitys darling

how easy was eckers today? seriously like was totes expecting something remotely challenging but couldnt believe my eyes when i opened the paper. banter!

how did u guys get on? heard innocent volunteer got on well, hit me back when ur on volley!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Wheely

how easy was eckers today? seriously like was totes expecting something remotely challenging but couldnt believe my eyes when i opened the paper. banter!

how did u guys get on? heard innocent volunteer got on well, hit me back when ur on volley!

Got on ok I think. Hey what enyone think of the Campus Oil injunctions essay? How did people answer it?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

After the disaster that was Company (Could only have answered 3!) equity was the most sweetest paper ever! It only means that obviuosly Contract will be a disaster tomorrow..... can one learn an entire course in a day...hmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Like yourself I'm trying to work through the entire bloody course today, I'll be leaving out Capacity to Contract, Exemption Clauses and Consumer Protection...hopefully there'll still be five do-able questions on the paper, there should be...right?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

im leaving out privity, capacity, consumer protection. Now when I say I'm doing all else this means I'm reading it, doing notes and then condensing onto those lil flash cards. Actually knowing the stuff is a bonus extra I don't think I'll have going into tis in the morning! All nighter me thinks.... second last one though...I can't wait to get my life back and have a pint!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Amigone wrote: »
    I can't wait to get my life back and have a pint!

That's all I can think about too!

I'm leaving out consumer protection, construction, agency, electronic contracts and privity although I think if I was desperate I could manage to eek out bullet points on them all (except agency... does anybody ever cover agency?)

then a clear week to attack Property, easily the one I'm most afraid of :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Finished today - none of my friends are :mad:. Kind of wish I wasn't though and I had a few more days for contract - was a bit of a rush after equity on Monday!!

Does anyone have any idea roughly when the results came out last year? I'm expecting first week of June?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

johnfás wrote: »
    Does anyone have any idea roughly when the results came out last year? I'm expecting first week of June?

Yeah usually out the first or second week of June.

Contract was a long paper! Could have done with another day too! Did anyone do the verbal statements question? Was it just parole evidence rule or what:confused:

nehemiah wrote: »
    Yeah usually out the first or second week of June.

Contract was a long paper! Could have done with another day too! Did anyone do the verbal statements question? Was it just parole evidence rule or what:confused:

Yea I did it and pretty much wrote about that. McDermott had a test which was outlined in the Independent Colleges Manual and I wrote a bit of that into it to - basically how the courts differentiate a warranty from a representation - nearer it is to the agreement, more important it is, whether the person had any special skill etc all indicate a warranty whereas if the contract is reduced to writing and the statement is omitted it is more likely to be a representation.

johnfás wrote: »
    Yea I did it and pretty much wrote about that. McDermott had a test which was outlined in the Independent Colleges Manual and I wrote a bit of that into it to - basically how the courts differentiate a warranty from a representation - nearer it is to the agreement, more important it is, whether the person had any special skill etc all indicate a warranty whereas if the contract is reduced to writing and the statement is omitted it is more likely to be a representation.

What about misrepresentations? I did a few lines on that...the verbal statements part anyway. And family and domestic agreements. Dunno whether they were relevant but it was a rush at the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 loz_gal

Did any one else find the contract exam really hard? I think I seriously underestimated it.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 quinner360

Anyone any ideas on topics tipped for Property? Would appreciate any ideas!!

It was hard but it was kind of expected because the examiner mixes the topics more than any other subject.

Make sure you know your succession law for property - thats an easy two questions if you know your stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jamie-b

Can you submit your legislation on the morning of the exam? I thought I saw a few people do. All my others were in on time but i just coulnt get to RDS on my lunch hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

You can put your legislation in on the morning. It gets checked and usually arrives about 20-30 mins into the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jasonk1986

Hello,

I am look for some FE1 Manuals and am interested in the contract and company manual..

anybody have them and if so are they still available?

if so how much ?

are you based anywhere around dublin?

please reply also to jasonk1986@hotmail.com

thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pandapatrol

Hi Im considering doing the FE1 exams and was thinking of doing 4 at the back end of the year? Which 4 would you recommend doing first? Does anyone have current course material and manuals for sale? Willing to pay reasonable money. Any feedback appreciated. Please reply to johnaglynn@yahoo.com if you can help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 windofchange

Hi Im considering doing the FE1 exams and was thinking of doing 4 at the back end of the year? Which 4 would you recommend doing first? Does anyone have current course material and manuals for sale? Willing to pay reasonable money. Any feedback appreciated. Please reply to johnaglynn@yahoo.com if you can help

I think the traditional thinking has gone out the window with the new timetable. If you are the kind who needs a day in between exams, the timetable makes the choice for you.

http://www.lawsociety.ie/UserFiles/File/Oct%202009%20Timetable%20for%20Web.pdf

Honestly though there aren't "short cuts" etc. Some subjects have longer silly-busses than others etc so most people I know have left EU and constitutional till last which seems a bit mad, but anyway.

Personally I think you are better taking on some of the bigger ones the first time around because if you were to fail them it at least means you will have had two goes to study them when it comes to repeating at the next session whereas if you only try to tackle them in your second sitting and you fail then you are on to your third sitting.

Windofchange is right though, the new timetable will have to make the choice for alot of people. This is how I sat them anyway:

Last Autumn:
    - Company
    - EU
    - Tort
    - Property

This Spring:
    - Criminal
    - Consitutional
    - Equity
    - Contract

Company, EU, Tort and Constitutional would generally be considered the larger of the courses but there is no easy course. Contract for example is a very short syllabus but owing to that the examiner tends to mix and match topics on the paper and within questions meaning that unlike other courses there is nothing you can really cut out from it.

cheers for the feedback. Any manuals or recent course material for sale? I'm thinking of sitting Tort, Company, Constitutional and Equity or EU first

Hi does anyone have manuals or recent course material for sale for the FE1's? I think Im going to study from home and was wondering what material I should get my hands on if Im going to do it on my own.I'm thinking of sitting Tort, Company, Constitutional and Equity or EU first. Any feedback would be great. You can email me at JOHNAGLYNN@YAHOO.COM

• Registered Users Posts: 38 La.m

Hey,

I did the exams down in Cork and our property exam had 7 of the same question as came up in October 2008, like exactly! Just want to make sure that there wasn't some horrible mistake and that the dublin paper was the same so if someone who did the paper in dublin could confirm that, it would be great.

Thanks

La.m wrote: »
    Hey,

I did the exams down in Cork and our property exam had 7 of the same question as came up in October 2008, like exactly! Just want to make sure that there wasn't some horrible mistake and that the dublin paper was the same so if someone who did the paper in dublin could confirm that, it would be great.

Thanks

Yeah no mistake,it was the same for me. It was very strange to see the same exam. I even closed the paper again to check the date! But if they wanna give out the same paper no complaints from me!

Hi, does anyone have recent manuals and past papers for sale especially for TORT, Criminal, EQUITY and Constitutional. Reasonably unmarked if possible. Willing to pay reasonable money per manual. If you can help email [Johnaglynn@yahoo.com. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭vote4pedro

Just how similar were the two Property papers? Were problem questions the same word for word, or just on the same topics?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement