Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

Hate to raise the dreaded topic above as the ink is hardly dry on the papers sat this week and last.. Any idea how long we can expect to wait for results this time round? 5/6 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭IsaacWunder

JCJCJC wrote: »
    I thought the retrospective questions - two mentioning the Maastricht treaty, and one mention of Amsterdam, were total, utter, complete bullsheet. Who needs to know obsolete stuff like that now, for any useful purpose - it's hard enough to try to keep abreast of current EU law.

Hear, hear. What really pissed me off about question 2(a) was it specifically asked about the changes in competences of the EC and powers of its institutions brought about by Maastricht; really abstract.

As for asking us about Amsterdam, the treaty that time forgot, that was a real kick in the nads. And then threw a question about the changes in legal order and competences Lisbon into it (enough to set up a full question on its own) was really kicking us when we were down. A complete bastard of a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

coco13 wrote: »
    Hate to raise the dreaded topic above as the ink is hardly dry on the papers sat this week and last.. Any idea how long we can expect to wait for results this time round? 5/6 weeks?

The results letters last year were dated 21st May, so round about then.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

The plan is:

1. Offer and Acceptance
    2. Promissory Estoppel
    3. Privity
    4. Mistake
    5. Discharge of contracts
    6. Remedies
    7. Consideration
    8. Misrepresentation
    9. Contractual Terms
    10. Undue Influence

Then an outline of and few cases from:
    Capacity to Contract
    Exemption Clauses
    Economic duress
    Illegal contracts
    Void

So basically leaving out- Formal requirements, ICLR, Consumer, Agency.
    Little concerned about leaving out formal requirements but just out of criminal I doubt anything new will go into my tired head!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

The paper totally went against me.. had a good question 1, related to burglary, assualt, murder/manslaughter, duress and a few minor issues.. then did a good question on criminal procedure.. Could only do half of the sexual offences question and left out bits.. same with the question on offences, could do it for the most part but left out bits.. Just attempted the essay on causation, got two pages out of it only from what I remembered from looking at it a while back, didn't have it prepared. Then mistake came up as the essay on a defence, the one I leave out!!

I prepared an essay on mens rea for intention and recklessness - no show, I prepared an essay on the courts - no show, I prepared an essay on definition - no show, I prepared an essay on minor .v. non - minor - no show, I prepared an essay on classification - no show. Couldn't have gotten more unlucky with these, strict liability and causation came up. Then I left out some bits for the offences and they decide to pop up.

So annoyed now, but it's my own fault, tried to tone stuff down. Had 2 good questions, one ok - ish question, and then 3 awful ones. Blanked a bit on case law too, was ok with the legislation, got 2 in for most questions 3 or 4 for the others. Doubt I passed, very very slight chance, but really doubt I passed, raging about the essays that the ones I prepared didn't come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Can someone tell me what would be the best book to study company law from?

Cheers in advance. : )

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Nemanrio wrote: »

Tom Courtney is the examiner and his book is very comprehensive. I'd really recommend getting your hands on a manual however, I used the Griffith College manual and passed first time. If you are looking for a textbook with everything in it- go for Tom's book- if you're looking to pass the FE1s, go for a manual. I also own Keane and Forde textbooks and they are a little sparse on the detail imo.

Thomas B Courtney's book is 'the bible' but it's huge, goes into every exhaustive detail and is quite expensive, Ellis is smaller. Any of the prep colleges manuals are fine. I have an IC 2010 manual, far too many irritating typos in it. I have GCD manuals for other subjects, they don't have anything like that number of typos. There's a small book in the 'make that grade' series which I find good.
    There are others I'm not familiar with. My main study was the IC manual, backed up with Courtney.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

I did company through IC and flew it.. Never once looked outside their manual and got 68 per cent in the exam. On that basis I'm note sure you can justify getting stuck into a text like Courtney's unless you really want to..I reckon it would make for some heavy reading though!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

Sorry to u didnt go ur way chops018 u wer very unlucky ur essays didnt come up. I sussed essays wud b along those lines and only prepared 2 self-defence + provocation that i thought wud be of use to me other dan in essay ques! Stuck to problem question which found ok had sexual offences done inside (hope gortna heeded my advice!) was not expectin Q.2 dodged that like a bullet! Overall happy out! Now to contract. . :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Thought criminal was grand today, really suited me which is more than I can say for constitutional. Quick lunch in the garden then contract. Why can't it be tomorrow already ;(

Did:
    Causation essay
    Prob - sex offences
    Prob - lads beating up the burglar
    Prob - attempt and insanity
    Prob - complicity

• Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

Hi,

It may seem pessimistic at this point. But, I know that people wont be on here in the summer time - if I have to repeat.

But if anyone has had the contract examiner as a lecturer in the past and has a full set of notes etc including essays and handouts that may have been given out, I will gladly pay money to get my hands on them.

Please DM me

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 noseriously

TBH, I thought that Criminal paper was a bit nasty...the essay questions weren't what I expected at all, the rape Q was unusual as well, luckily enough I'd covered the stuff but I'm not sure everyone would have. The rest of it was ok, I guess, but there were a LOT of inchoate offences! Overall, I have NO idea whether I passed or failed

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

Out of curiosity, was the defence in the attempt question irresistible impulse?
    'He knew it was wrong' but couldn't help 'trying' or whatever?!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

Caoileann wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, was the defence in the attempt question irresistible impulse?
    'He knew it was wrong' but couldn't help 'trying' or whatever?!

I used section 6 of diminished responsibility but meh whatever I'm just glad it's over a lot of nitpicking went into that paper basing questions on minor aspects of the course....freaking over contract!

god lads is anybody else here just unable for contract. I have such beach lust today it's crazy. I've all my notes in front of me like and I'm just not able, i'm papped at this stage, 2 exams already this week have zapped my energy.

My boyfriend is a marine engineer, he rung me today from the Philippines, I had to ask him to explain in layman's terms what stevedores, carriers and consignors were etc cos I was trying to wrap my head around the marvel that is the Albazero. Worried now i'll start freeeeaking tonight at 10!

I'm finding it really hard to concentrate too...think I'm just gonna plug away for another couple of hours, then go to bed and get up SUPER early tmrw. The only thing keeping me going is the thought that this time tomorrow, I'll be drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭crystalmice

god lads is anybody else here just unable for contract. I have such beach lust today it's crazy. I've all my notes in front of me like and I'm just not able, i'm papped at this stage, 2 exams already this week have zapped my energy.

My boyfriend is a marine engineer, he rung me today from the Philippines, I had to ask him to explain in layman's terms what stevedores, carriers and consignors were etc cos I was trying to wrap my head around the marvel that is the Albazero. Worried now i'll start freeeeaking tonight at 10!
    I know the feeling, after 4 exams in a row I just can't bring myself to start studying again...my attempt to study in the sun resulted in an unscheduled nap! I just can't seem to take in any information today :(:( the fact that I'm sure il have to be back in October to resitting some of the ones I've already done isn't helping my motivation :(

I'm finding it really hard to concentrate too...think I'm just gonna plug away for another couple of hours, then go to bed and get up SUPER early tmrw. The only thing keeping me going is the thought that this time tomorrow, I'll be drunk

that's a nice thought, glad i am not only one finding it tough today! Tomorrow i will be free, i'll give myself like 2 weeks of carefree bliss, then the freeeakin bout results! This time tomorrow i'll prob be still on road home but boy oh boy i can't wait to get out of the ibis, i've been here since last Tuesday and I am going gaga and i think if there is a hole in the ozone layer, they'll find it over the red cow interchange. Ah back to the fresh green pastures of the Blackwater valley tomorrow- like Elle Woods said, "back to the sun, back to the shore, back to what I was before"!

I know the feeling, after 4 exams in a row I just can't bring myself to start studying again...my attempt to study in the sun resulted in an unscheduled nap! I just can't seem to take in any information today :(:( the fact that I'm sure il have to be back in October to resitting some of the ones I've already done isn't helping my motivation :(

oh i had four aswell- thurs, fri, mon, tues but i didn't go home at the weekend so i feel like i have been here forever. And if i have any advice for you, it's don't give up just yet, i came out of company thinking i did brutal last time, could only answer 3 qs from what i prepared, one from legislation and one b*s* q on SLP and i passed easily. It's hard to know with these exams unforch :confused:

Think of it like this- this time tomorrow you'll be freeeee (to do what u want to do!) :D

Does anybody wonder what the invigilators get up to when they are not watching us and wrestling over bottles of lucozade?

• Advertisement

I suppose the one thing I can be grateful for is that I live in dublin...I can't even imagine how tough it'd be to have to commute or stay around the kip that is Red Cow

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JLex

that's a nice thought, glad i am not only one finding it tough today! Tomorrow i will be free, i'll give myself like 2 weeks of carefree bliss, then the freeeakin bout results! This time tomorrow i'll prob be still on road home but boy oh boy i can't wait to get out of the ibis, i've been here since last Tuesday and I am going gaga and i think if there is a hole in the ozone layer, they'll find it over the red cow interchange. Ah back to the fresh green pastures of the Blackwater valley tomorrow- like Elle Woods said, "back to the sun, back to the shore, back to what I was before"!
    i developed red bull addiction over the past two weeks.so tired today red bull and caffeine tablets don't work anymore. defo won't b able to get a pass tomorrow.can't even think anymore.

like nobody can appreciate that these exams are like a marathon, you can study your little heart out and just get a **** paper, or you can chance learning like 5 topics and be grand, having a few consecutive exams day after day after day is absolutely draining. It's as much a test of willpower and stamina as it is your legal knowledge.

like nobody can appreciate that these exams are like a marathon, you can study your little heart out and just get a **** paper, or you can chance learning like 5 topics and be grand, having a few consecutive exams day after day after day is absolutely draining. It's as much a test of willpower and stamina as it is your legal knowledge.

Imagine those poor weary barristers after fifteen years of the Mahon Tribunal then - what's a fortnight's FE1s compared to that feat! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Milkypops wrote: »
    I used section 6 of diminished responsibility but meh whatever I'm just glad it's over a lot of nitpicking went into that paper basing questions on minor aspects of the course....freaking over contract!

I used s.6 Diminished Responsibility also, decided not to study all the common law history on insanity and instead just learn s.5 and s.6 of the 2006 Act hoping to apply it in a problem question.

As for contract tomorrow, I am struggling to stay focused today. Wrecked from this morning, sunny weather, prospect of doing nothing from 12:30pm tomorrow and alcohol are all competing for my attention along with contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Imagine those poor weary barristers after fifteen years of the Mahon Tribunal then - what's a fortnight's FE1s compared to that feat! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Probabably about €20,000 in fees. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

chops018 wrote: »
    The paper totally went against me.. had a good question 1, related to burglary, assualt, murder/manslaughter, duress and a few minor issues.. then did a good question on criminal procedure.. Could only do half of the sexual offences question and left out bits.. same with the question on offences, could do it for the most part but left out bits.. Just attempted the essay on causation, got two pages out of it only from what I remembered from looking at it a while back, didn't have it prepared. Then mistake came up as the essay on a defence, the one I leave out!!

I prepared an essay on mens rea for intention and recklessness - no show, I prepared an essay on the courts - no show, I prepared an essay on definition - no show, I prepared an essay on minor .v. non - minor - no show, I prepared an essay on classification - no show. Couldn't have gotten more unlucky with these, strict liability and causation came up. Then I left out some bits for the offences and they decide to pop up.

So annoyed now, but it's my own fault, tried to tone stuff down. Had 2 good questions, one ok - ish question, and then 3 awful ones. Blanked a bit on case law too, was ok with the legislation, got 2 in for most questions 3 or 4 for the others. Doubt I passed, very very slight chance, but really doubt I passed, raging about the essays that the ones I prepared didn't come up.

Yeah it hurts when your questions dont appear - i really had to disect each question bit by bit and really lacked precision!

I reckon i hit 48 in criminal and 48 in property - wont waist my money appealing! back to the drawing board in 6 weeks time!

Enjoy the time off folks and best of luck with the results!
    Going to crack open a nice bottle of chilled heineken and watch the sunset!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Yeah it hurts when your questions dont appear - i really had to disect each question bit by bit and really lacked precision!

I reckon i hit 48 in criminal and 48 in property - wont waist my money appealing! back to the drawing board in 6 weeks time!

It's a horrible feeling, but hey it happens when you try to cut yourself down a bit, thought the things I left out wouldn't come up and took the risk but it went against me.. least I'll have the bulk of work done for the next time I sit it haha, and ye never know, could have fluked it with the 2 good answers I did and the 1 ok answer, other two were awful though!

Congrats on finishing and enjoy the beer!

P.S. I'd deffo appeal on anything over 45!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Milkypops

chops018 wrote: »

It's a horrible feeling, but hey it happens when you try to cut yourself down a bit, thought the things I left out wouldn't come up and took the risk but it went against me.. least I'll have the bulk of work done for the next time I sit it haha, and ye never know, could have fluked it with the 2 good answers I did and the 1 ok answer, other two were awful though!

Congrats on finishing and enjoy the beer!

P.S. I'd deffo appeal on anything over 45!!!!!
    To be honest there pretty Bang on wen it comes to the marking I'd tend to agree with ned_led16 and not bother such a waste of money and so disheartening web u realise u couldv gone on a right good piss up with the money!!

• Advertisement

i would like to point out i got 48 in constitutional last october- i appealed and he put me up to 49. No worse feeling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement