Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

i would like to point out i got 48 in constitutional last october- i appealed and he put me up to 49. No worse feeling.

Hmm, didn't realise they were so harsh.. assumed 45 or up would give you a good chance to be brought up.. what's it like at the recheck's is there someone with you who you point stuff out to or do they go through the marking scheme with you? I'm assuming it's a 100 odd euro for a recheck too?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

u see its not just money for an appeal its valuable time waisted - unless i get 49 i wont appeal!
    ive heard of too many get brought up from 48 to 49!

this is my 3rd attempt at getting the three - last time i got 2 - but i reckon i gotta do something different if i dont get the three now - take a bit of time off reflect - wait for the results andcover everything!

hmm nice glass of wine - must be a great sense of achievement getting the first three and then all the other hurdles!

Best of luck to all that have more exams the end is near!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 collegestudent

ye poor souls...... i know a girl that did 4 and gave up..she said you had to literally eat the book...... and i was planning on doing them straight after the degree... can I ask... where do you get materials for them... is there lectures or anything for the entrance exams or what is the situation is it all off your own back from your own notes from the degree really and books articles etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

chops018 wrote: »
    Hmm, didn't realise they were so harsh.. assumed 45 or up would give you a good chance to be brought up.. what's it like at the recheck's is there someone with you who you point stuff out to or do they go through the marking scheme with you? I'm assuming it's a 100 odd euro for a recheck too?

no chance, you send away 120 euro per subject, you're told wait like 5 wks or sth and then you get another letter in post with a number- no reasons, no breakdown, no evidence they even looked at your exam booklet twice. It's a bit scandalous to think that they charge more to have a second look over paper then to actually sit it and correct it first time.

Law Society = money grabbers. Any way they can extort a dime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

ye poor souls...... i know a girl that did 4 and gave up..she said you had to literally eat the book...... and i was planning on doing them straight after the degree... can I ask... where do you get materials for them... is there lectures or anything for the entrance exams or what is the situation is it all off your own back from your own notes from the degree really and books articles etc...

If you do it right after your degree you should be ok, but do get your hands on past exam papers, they have a different slant from college exams. Some people do all eight and some get them - one buddy of mine on here got seven. If your already have a dgree in something before doing a law degree, tackle the FE1s as you go through college.
    I think the optimum strategy would be to do the preliminary exam, which gets you over the degree hurdle, and do the FE1s every autumn while you are in college - had I known the rules better, I'd have done that. It would save a year or two.
    There are specifically focussed FE1 lectures, to answer your question - google Griffith College, City College and Independent College and you'll get the info.

• Advertisement

In fairness... that is actually excellent advice.... how long does the preliminary exam take? Thanks for the advice... it really has put an idea in my head now to get it all done and dusted in one shot....

Yes it is true, you do have to know a good lot more than in exams for a law degree. Don't let that turn you off though, as JC said get your hands on past exam papers and examiners comments (which can be bought by anyone on the law society's website for €6 each). You don't even have to do a prep course, there is a thread on here that sells the materials given out from them, and bar there has been some new legislation then materials from a year ago will do fine. The people selling them usually give sample answers aswell which are great to have a look at, not that expensive second hand - usually 50 euro for a manual and if they include some sample answers and exam papers it might be 60 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056512376&page=6 is the thread for buying such materials. Don't be frightened of them, they are very tough, but you can always repeat if you fail. I would advise getting the relevant text book, a relatively up to date manual, plenty of past exam papers, plenty of sample answers and then get to work preparing your topics. If you have time then there you should be well prepared.

Yes it is true, you do have to know a good lot more than in exams for a law degree. Don't let that turn you off though, as JC said get your hands on past exam papers and examiners comments (which can be bought by anyone on the law society's website for €6 each). You don't even have to do a prep course, there is a thread on here that sells the materials given out from them, and bar there has been some new legislation then materials from a year ago will do fine. The people selling them usually give sample answers aswell which are great to have a look at, not that expensive second hand - usually 50 euro for a manual and if they include some sample answers and exam papers it might be 60 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056512376&page=6 is the thread for buying such materials. Don't be frightened of them, they are very tough, but you can always repeat if you fail. I would advise getting the relevant text book, a relatively up to date manual, plenty of past exam papers, plenty of sample answers and then get to work preparing your topics. If you have time then there you should be well prepared.

thanks.......... sure what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and nothing worth having is easy getting I guess... thanks a lot though for the advice :-) Best of luck to you all whoever is doing them at the mo! i don't mind spending the money to get the proper materials anyways... i tend to study on my own anyway away from the library.. less distracting :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

Having passed contract last time I am so scared I'm going to lose it :(

I hope Cliona Kelly writes a kind paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Caoileann wrote: »
    Having passed contract last time I am so scared I'm going to lose it :(

I hope Cliona Kelly writes a kind paper!

snap... i'm hoping to do as many essays as poss- ideally consideration v estoppel, privity and damages for 3rd parties, capacity of minors, judicial control exemption clauses, damages for emotional distress and duty to mitigate... a girl can dream...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Last day tomorrow- knowing Im goin to bein doin these again in Oct really doesn't help my lack of motivation!
    Also completely immune to Redbull and Berrocca Boost - may aswell be drinking water!!
    Good Luck to everyone else on tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

My stomach is in knots today. I just want these exams to be over, regardless of the fact that I know I'll be repeating!

In fairness... that is actually excellent advice.... how long does the preliminary exam take? Thanks for the advice... it really has put an idea in my head now to get it all done and dusted in one shot....

I can't tell you about the prelim exam, because I didn't sit it, but it is a mighty short-cut. As far as I know, it's basically an assessment of your ability to read, comprehend and write coherent English, plus a general knowledge of Irish current affairs, rather than a factual examination. There is info on it on the lawsoc's website, and you might be able to get past papers. If you have the discipline to stay at it, and do FE1s every autumn once you have a few relevant subjects done in college, which means studying and practising questions through the summers obviously, you could graduate with most or all of the FE1s done and you will be away, away ahead of your peers. You will have access to college library facilities and on-line databases which are a huge aid. That continuous work csan only enhance your college performance too. If you have friendly lecturers and/or tutors in college, you could perhaps ask them to look over FE1 papers and give you an idea on how to structure your answers.

It's the optimum way to go as a non-law graduate or law undergraduate - had I known and done it myself, I'd have spared 2-3 years.

You've perhaps joined us here at the worst possible time, right in the middle of the exams, we're all a bit stressed and pre-occupied to say the least - but hang in, it's by-and-large a friendly discussion group and you'll get support and encouragement from people at all stages of the process. I'm at the stage of having six passed, did my last two this time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Cliibee

Well done to everyone who's finished their exams&hang on in there to those still going :-)

I know this is a bit quick off the mark seeing as how the exams are only just finishing-but I'm looking to do an online Prep course for EU and Constitutional this June- two subjects I have never studied before and I wondered from people's experience which college was the best (in terms of lecturer, manual etc). They're so bl**dy expensive so I want to know I'm picking the right one!

Thanks a million and best of luck to all with the results!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Stimorol

don't think I passed criminal, ah well more motivation for me to pass it in October. Also quick question, why is everyone terrified of Constitutional exam? From what I remember in college it was quite easy, boring I grant you, but not something to be scared of. Is it because there's a lot to learn? I'm planning on doing it in October so I thought of asking people who has sat that exam previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DaleWinton

Stimorol wrote: »
    don't think I passed criminal, ah well more motivation for me to pass it in October. Also quick question, why is everyone terrified of Constitutional exam? From what I remember in college it was quite easy, boring I grant you, but not something to be scared of. Is it because there's a lot to learn? I'm planning on doing it in October so I thought of asking people who has sat that exam previously.

Toughest exam of the lot in my opinion. Biggest course and there is so much cross over in the problem questions that you have to study absolutely everything. Managed to get the pass, (on the plus side he's a decent enough marker) but would almost say if given the option of just having to do Constitutional on its own or the other 7 together, I would go for the former option.

Interesting subject, but the exam format kills any sort of enthusiasm I had for that subject.

Now that the exams are over when can we expect the results? Not really looking forward to them to be honest haha..

Must say I know I started studying bit by bit from the 2nd week of January but the last 2-3 weeks were so stressful.. feels good to have them over, pass or fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

Needless to say that was definitely the first exam WRITTEN by Cliona Kelly.. so not impressed. 4 questions were okay but my fifth was dire, only had a couple of cases. She is such a tough marker so im almost sure im a goner.
    Having passed it last time not happy!

Now that the exams are over when can we expect the results? Not really looking forward to them to be honest haha..

Must say I know I started studying bit by bit from the 2nd week of January but the last 2-3 weeks were so stressful.. feels good to have them over, pass or fail.

Would be willing to put a considerable amount of money on results going online on Friday May 11th. Last two exam results came out 6 weeks from the Friday of the week the exams finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

Caoileann wrote: »
    Needless to say that was definitely the first exam WRITTEN by Cliona Kelly.. so not impressed. 4 questions were okay but my fifth was dire, only had a couple of cases. She is such a tough marker so im almost sure im a goner.
    Having passed it last time not happy!

Me too, had 3.5 questions that were good, followed the advice of sticking to the essays, as heard she is a hard marker - got completely mixed up in one of them, which then threw me -I had covered the entire course too, to be sure, just couldnt remember everything - presume I have failed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

"Question 5 - Answer (a) AND (b)" :eek:

4 and a half good answers is hopefully sufficient :o

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Kamilat

Congrats guys on finishing up! Hopefully all our hard work pays off! Now relax and have a drink, weather is fab

Stimorol wrote: »

I find EU a lot worse than Constitutional, I have Constitutional passed. I think to pass constitutional with EC you have to 'play the man' as much as 'play the ball'. Read his examiners' reports very carefully and note what they reveal about his his attitudes and views. He doesn't seem to like prep-college manual knowledge only, and he repeatedly stresses the need to read actual cases. Given that it is known from his public lectures which cases he thinks are important it isn't a big task to find them on bailii and read them. I would also say read at least a few chapters of a standard textbook like, for example, Casey's one, and be able to quote some opinions from it rather than just facts, so that you can show the wide reading you've done - same goes for journal articles, especially his own. He also stresses that he doesn't compose questions from grids, or repeat patterns, so analysing his past papers for such patterns doesn't work as well as it does in other areas. The best I can say is he keeps it topical - the themes of the recent cases appear on his papers, eg fair procedures, cpo's etc., but focus on the constitutional aspects only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sammey

coco13 wrote: »
    I did company through IC and flew it.. Never once looked outside their manual and got 68 per cent in the exam. On that basis I'm note sure you can justify getting stuck into a text like Courtney's unless you really want to..I reckon it would make for some heavy reading though!

What was your exact position on this - had you studied company law prior to the FE 1 say as a degree module or did you achieve this mark with zero company law knowledge using absolutely nothing other than the IC lectures and manual - it is an impressive mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 BroadwayBound

Me too, had 3.5 questions that were good, followed the advice of sticking to the essays, as heard she is a hard marker - got completely mixed up in one of them, which then threw me -I had covered the entire course too, to be sure, just couldnt remember everything - presume I have failed.

Me three. Passed it last time so it sucks! Hopefully she goes a little easier on the marks. So long as I get my three I'll cope, but what a long wait I want them right now! Sleep time zzzzzz

JCJCJC wrote: »
    The best I can say is he keeps it topical - the themes of the recent cases appear on his papers, eg fair procedures, cpo's etc., but focus on the constitutional aspects only.

Not all that topical though really. Like if he was keeping things topical, the president would have come up last October during the election or last March when the campaign was kicking off.

I honestly reckon he sticks a load of topics in a hat and picks them out at random so as there can be no discernible pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

DaleWinton wrote: »
    Not all that topical though really. Like if he was keeping things topical, the president would have come up last October during the election or last March when the campaign was kicking off.

I honestly reckon he sticks a load of topics in a hat and picks them out at random so as there can be no discernible pattern.

If that were the case the paper would be almost 100% predictable. The President came up last week and last weeks paper was the first FE1 since our new president has been in office. I was fairly surprised to see an Art 26 question. I thought it would be too predictable a question for Dr Carolan to set.

Nearly all other questions related to some sort of litigation that happened in the last year or so.

Hogzy wrote: »
    If that were the case the paper would be almost 100% predictable. The President came up last week and last weeks paper was the first FE1 since our new president has been in office. I was fairly surprised to see an Art 26 question. I thought it would be too predictable a question for Dr Carolan to set.

Nearly all other questions related to some sort of litigation that happened in the last year or so.

Yeah but the president is not nearly as topical this year as it was last year, during the election. Michael D Higgins election as president is today's chip paper if you get what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

DaleWinton wrote: »
    Yeah but the president is not nearly as topical this year as it was last year, during the election. Michael D Higgins election as president is today's chip paper if you get what I mean.

Do you expect the paper to mirror the 6 o clock news or something?

• Advertisement

Hogzy wrote: »
    Do you expect the paper to mirror the 6 o clock news or something?

He's disagreeing with JC, who said it's very topical, the poster above said he doesn't think the paper that topical.. no need to get smart about things ! :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement