Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lawfull

My preference if I was to do them again, with the benefit of hindsight would be;

Contract, Equity, Property, Tort.

Constitutional, EU, Company, Criminal.

Thanks for that. I thought alright that some subjects may cross over and therefore should be done together.

Where would get books for these subjects. I would really like to start having a look at the course now.

The curiosity is killing me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DaleWinton

Lawfull wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I thought alright that some subjects may cross over and therefore should be done together.

I tend to disagree with the conventional idea that studying subjects that have crossover areas together is a good thing.

Take for example the topic of estoppel. It's a very prevalent topic in the property, equity and contract exam but the emphasis on specific areas within the topic differ significantly between the three exam subjects.

I know that when I did property it was the day before my contract exam, (these subjects often are one after the other). With 25 minutes to go in the exam and still one question to do, and you are under pressure you don't want to be confusing whats necessary to know for property with what is necessary to know for contract or equity.

Different people will have different opinions but I would advocate studying subjects that are polar opposites to each other because the risk of confusing subjects under pressure in an exam situation is always a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

I would recommend a rapid revision book of the area of Law you are looking into, I came from a non legal background so these were great for me to get an overview.

I would agree subject overlap isn't that big of a deal. I would do those subjects in that order as I found the exams easier and more straight forward, I think it would be a good warm up for the Harder EU and Constitutional exam.
    Lawfull wrote: »

Where would get books for these subjects. I would really like to start having a look at the course now.

The curiosity is killing me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Joe Sestak

id say to do contract, crimal equity and property together. don't be fooled by criminal and contract though, they were tricky enough papers on the last sitting, you really need to know each and every aspect of the course. on another note would anyone be able to swap me sample answers- i need company, constitutional and eu, i have answers to all others and notes as well. thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 notaclue12

Hi All

Just wondering did anyone on here sit the Prelims this year? If so any sign of results week 7 now and nothing its getting very frustrating dying to know!

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

Guys if you were starting out again how would you go about studying
    - Criminal
    - Property
    - Tort
    - Company

Do you have to learn everything? if so, surely the exam grid is a red herring? Cant imagine all the courses would bother with them if they were pointless... lets take criminal law does an exam grid serve a purpose... whats the pattern? it seems to me that if something hasnt been examined in a while thats the next question! boooooooooo fe1s

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DeSourire

Joe Sestak wrote: »
    id say to do contract, crimal equity and property together. don't be fooled by criminal and contract though, they were tricky enough papers on the last sitting, you really need to know each and every aspect of the course. on another note would anyone be able to swap me sample answers- i need company, constitutional and eu, i have answers to all others and notes as well. thanks!

I cannot pm you but I have company and eu if you want to swap for some. Pm if u are interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 donners87

hey all. sitting contract and criminal in the next round and would love to see a copy of the march paper if anyone has them??:) pleeeease...

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Fe1erere

Hey there, anyone know when to expect the results for the FE1 exams?:D

Fe1erere wrote: »
    Hey there, anyone know when to expect the results for the FE1 exams?:D

The smart money is on May 11th because that's 6 weeks since they finished and that's the length of time we had to wait last time round. They might even come out on the Thursday night of the 10th as they came out a day earlier than the Law Society email indicated last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Fe1erere

Thanks for reply:D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

DaleWinton wrote: »
    The smart money is on May 11th because that's 6 weeks since they finished and that's the length of time we had to wait last time round. They might even come out on the Thursday night of the 10th as they came out a day earlier than the Law Society email indicated last time.

Oh God...I wish they would just come out asap. I am waiting on my last one. Can't relax until they come out. Really hope I get it and it's not another year of this crack!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hession.law

coco13 wrote: »
    Oh God...I wish they would just come out asap. I am waiting on my last one. Can't relax until they come out. Really hope I get it and it's not another year of this crack!:confused:

Dont worry about the wait, hopefully it is good news because the feeling you get is definitely worth the wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Lawsoc website says Fri 11th May :(

JCJCJC wrote: »

Could very well be up on the Thursday night of the 10th, like the were last time. If anyone successfully logs in, let the rest of us know on here.

Thanks.. Here's hoping the exam gods will be kind to us all! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

The way some posters are talking above it looks like we can get the results via the website. Would someone please tell me how if this is the case. Did my first set in March and assumed they were just posted out.

chops018 wrote: »
    The way some posters are talking above it looks like we can get the results via the website. Would someone please tell me how if this is the case. Did my first set in March and assumed they were just posted out.

OK. You'll get a letter and/or an email from the lawsoc about it shortly, but all it amounts to is that you can log in to the website with, initially, the number on your lawsoc correspondence as a username and 'password' as a default pw. Try it and see if it works already. Once you're in, change the password to something more secure.
    If you can log in, on past experience, a day or so before the official results day search the website for 'results' and you may be able to log in to see your results before they go up on the official page. This system has'nt been in very long so I can't say for definite that it will work this way, but it did last October.
    Your username is very like another user who often posts here - Chopser - so perhaps some of us thought you were an old hand at this.
    JC

OK. You'll get a letter and/or an email from the lawsoc about it shortly, but all it amounts to is that you can log in to the website with, initially, the number on your lawsoc correspondence as a username and 'password' as a default pw. Try it and see if it works already. Once you're in, change the password to something more secure.
    If you can log in, on past experience, a day or so before the official results day search the website for 'results' and you may be able to log in to see your results before they go up on the official page. This system has'nt been in very long so I can't say for definite that it will work this way, but it did last October.
    Your username is very like another user who often posts here - Chopser - so perhaps some of us thought you were an old hand at this.
    JC

Thanks JC.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Charlie D

Let the anxious wait begin:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Darren07

Here here! :eek:

Got the e-mail today. Friday May 11th they will be available online, they will also be posted out that day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Did everybody get an email today about the results on the 11th?

Anybody NOT get one....

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

The results will still be out the 11th May...whether you got an email or not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 hopefullegal

Hi guys

Thinking of sitting Tort, Company, Property and Contract in Oct 2012. Is four exams four days in a row too much? Do those subjects seem like good choices for first attempt at the FE1s?

Btw got a 3 month internship starting the next week which is why I've zero flexibility about subjects.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

People pass doing all of them in one sitting. Four is definately doable.

It depends on how much time / preparation you put into them.

You have to do them all at some stage anyway and with an internship - which hopefully you will get a training contract out of - the sooner you get them done the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

People pass doing all of them in one sitting. Four is definately doable.

It depends on how much time / preparation you put into them.

You have to do them all at some stage anyway and with an internship - which hopefully you will get a training contract out of - the sooner you get them done the better.

Hi guys

Thinking of sitting Tort, Company, Property and Contract in Oct 2012. Is four exams four days in a row too much? Do those subjects seem like good choices for first attempt at the FE1s?

Btw got a 3 month internship starting the next week which is why I've zero flexibility about subjects.

Cheers

Well, you don't have a choice on the quantity - you must sit a minimum of four at your first sitting. How passable they are for you is very subjective, you don't say if you've studied law previously etc. There is cross-over between some subjects which means that study of one can help with another. Equity comes in substantially to tort and contract, into property to some extent and hardly at all into Company. Equity might therefore be an alternative to company that would be more compatible with your other selections, purely my humble O, or you could perhaps do equity as a fifth. Criminal and Constitutional complement each other also - Company and EU stand alone really apart from a few relatively minor things.

Just my two cents, we're all different.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trixabelle86

Hey Everyone,
    I only have exam grids up until 2010 for Company, Contract and Equity.

If anyone has any more recent exam grids, would you be able to PM me? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee :)

• Advertisement

So guys.. It looks like this week is the week of reckoning!!
    Anyone heard anything from The Law Soc.. Are results defo out Friday?
    Anyone got the email re logging on online to get them??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement