Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 grainneol

I got 44 in eu and its my last one? anyone think worth a recheck?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

coco13 wrote: »
    Chops,

Hard luck today! I'm a pro at failing theses exams and what not to do!
    Got my last one today but it's taken time!
    My advice is.. If you want it...Go back do the four.
    I wouldn't take the risk of adding another subject.
    The work load is big enough as it is..Know your four well.
    I don't think there is huge room for topic picking in subjects anymore.
    Cover four and leave very little out.. That should secure you should the questions not fall your way. You have to be able to do five questions on the paper full stop.
    I wouldn't waste the money re-checking the exams but that's only my opinion. I can guarantee you that if you know the contents of the IC or Griffith manuals you need nothing else.
    Don't dwell on it! You will get there!

Thanks Coco.

I'll start doing one or two days a week now in a month or so and see how adding a subject is going - if it's looking like too much work then I'll drop it! Hopefully the next 4 aren't as bad anyway as I said I have loads of work done from this time round - easily 8-10 topics covered very well in each subject, may get adding to that and try retain the stuff I already have done with revision.

Would have loved to got the magic 3 this time but that's just the way it is, hopefully I'll have more luck next time around!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lisgal

Thanks Coco. Guess that's all I can do now! Will start prep work again and try and sit 2 in October!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

Can anyone tell me if getting 50 on the button in three subjects means I get to keep them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

passed company and equity.
    well done to everyone that passed. for those who failed, take a few weeks off and get back into it. dont give up. everyone fails one of the fe1 at some stage. i failed company and equity in october and was so disheartened but pased this time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭steph86

Caoileann wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if getting 50 on the button in three subjects means I get to keep them?
    yeh sure does. congrats on passing

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lisgal

Yep. That's a pass and you can carry the 3! Congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Yes it does, congrats Caoileann:D Were they your first 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

colonel1 wrote: »
    Yes it does, congrats Caoileann:D Were they your first 4?

Thanks to you both, I'm such a worrier!
    Yes it was my first four but second time trying, so relieved!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

coco13 wrote: »
    By the way guys.. What do we do now!!???
    Where do we access the information re getting into Bhall if you have a training contract?

Just call up The law Society and ask them to send you out an application pack. All the information and documents required will be listed in it. I just sent my forms in yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Atticus Lynch

Passed my last four of these hellish Fe1 exams. This thread has been helpful over the last year or so even if I wasn't a major contributor.

Congrats to all those that passed and head up for those that have to do it all again. You will get there, trust me EVERYBODY I have met finds these exams hell. I am so glad to see the back of them (and the hotel Ibis no matter how grand it was)!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 grainneol

Hey guys got 44 in eu and it was my last exam anyone think its worth appealing?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cooper10

steph86 wrote: »
    passed company and equity.
    well done to everyone that passed. for those who failed, take a few weeks off and get back into it. dont give up. everyone fails one of the fe1 at some stage. i failed company and equity in october and was so disheartened but pased this time.

I just finished too! Brilliant feeling as it was a repeat on Const. I have no training contract though so might not make it to Blackhall this year -still never have to trek out to Red Cow again!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭coco13

chopser wrote: »
    Just call up The law Society and ask them to send you out an application pack. All the information and documents required will be listed in it. I just sent my forms in yesterday.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 darkangel1986

Did my tort exam and got 48% although i only did 4 questions and half question as well as bullet points, i feel that that the 4 questions were answered very well-a friend asked me all the cases the night before exam and knew all of them bar two. Finding this very frustrating as i knew all my stuff before i went in......is it worth my while appealing it as it is €120???

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

godeas16 wrote: »
    Is 48 in Contract worth an appeal? Any ideas?

i got 48 in const last oct and on appeal they brought me up to 49. Can you believe that?

I totally would get it rechecked though. I think you owe it to yourself and I have heard of people coming from a 43 to a 50.

grainneol wrote: »
    Hey guys got 44 in eu and it was my last exam anyone think its worth appealing?

i might say no only I think the EU examiner has a pretty good rep for bumping up results on rechecks. If you think you deserve more, go for it I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 darkangel1986

i got 48 in const last oct and on appeal they brought me up to 49. Can you believe that?

I totally would get it rechecked though. I think you owe it to yourself and I have heard of people coming from a 43 to a 50.

thanks a mill for advice rebelscorned i say i prob will get rechecked. i would be fairly frustrated in your shoes, i mean what harm would it have been to shove you up tp 50??To be honest i think at times it is a money making racket!!!

anyone have previous experience what tort is like for appealing??

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

thanks a mill for advice rebelscorned i say i prob will get rechecked. i would be fairly frustrated in your shoes, i mean what harm would it have been to shove you up tp 50??To be honest i think at times it is a money making racket!!!

Haha....at times??!!
    anyone have previous experience what tort is like for appealing??

Failed it 3 times, never by more than 7 percent. Got it rechecked 3 times. Never passed it on recheck. Passed it this time round though...Boom. 2 left!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

Well done to everyone who got what they wanted!

Having gotten 3/4 in October, I only got 2 out of the remaining 5 this time around. I know there are people out there without any, but I'm very disappointed..

I was least confident about EU but it happened to be one that I passed! I was most confident about Constitutional, but I got 43

With Company, I thought I had a chance of passing, but I got ****ing 32! - cannot believe it.

Dunno what to think

• Advertisement

well it's finally after hitting me, I have been in state of shock for last 3 hours. To everybody that passed today, hearty congratulations. To those who were unlucky, please don't be too disenheartened and pick yourselves up and dust yourselves off, be angry because the anger will motivate you and hit the next batch of exams like a tornado. They are incredibly hard, no doubt, but not insurmountable. That idea pretty much got me through my exams in March. I've passed some, failed some, got a recheck and was brought up to 49 (the height of cruelty), I had five to sit in March and even though it was a bit of a rollercoaster, they are behind me now. I had huge pressure because a TC was lined up to start in June and I wasn't really confident at all.

I really am surprised with property and contract- I got 54 in Property but I remember being really nervous after the exam because I said that the dude who died died intestate even though i knew the SA 1965 said the testator himself had to rip up the will and not the personal representative- I applied rules of intestacy and hotchpot without going too much into the testate rules i.e. LRS and s.117 etc, literally just summarised them in a paragraph to cover my ass. I hated the adverse possession question, easements q was grand, i did the other succession q too and as a fifth and rather desperate attempt, I did the half q on rights and resp of joint tenants- so I only had four and a half answers. I still am not sure if my approach to the succession problem was correct- would love to see a sample answer to this if somebody gets one. BUT this just hammers home my point- it is so incredibly hard to tell, and if I let myself beat myself up about it at the time, it would have affected my other exams.

Also with contract, I just felt rough on the day, not very sharp, attempted five but ran out of time on last one, some of the problem questions I spent more time regurgitating the facts with very little caselaw in parts, I was very nervous because I heard she is a hard marker, and I just about scraped by the skin of my teeth with a 50. I thought Equity was my best subject because it was the only exam where I stuck rigidly to the 35 mins per q rule and I had five solid answers, but I only got 53 in that.

Just my two cents for those going forward, and I know these have been said 1 million times but I'll throw it in again.

Do not overlimit yourself topics wise- the exams are getting more and more unpredictable and relying on grids etc, imo, can never be determinative of what is going to come up. Quite different to undergrad is this respect. That said, there are clear patterns and trends in every subject and know the examiners favourite areas.
    Definitely definitely attempt 5 questions, even if your last question is a hail mary attempt from memory or bullet pointed or whatever. I always aim for four and a decent attempt.
    Do try to stick to some sort of time plan- 5 mins to read at start and 35 mins per question etc. I did readjust my time schedule in some exams- e.g. in property i reassessed time once I saw paper and allocated 15 mins for last question because I didn't have much prepared for it, but I find even writing it down on the front page of the exam booklet makes you so much more focused.
    Manuals are all well and good- I did the Griffith course for every subject- but make sure to independently go and search out new cases- it's referred to as 'bridging the gap' between your knowledge of law from undergrad and current developments. The Griffith materials are good, and are probably enough to pass, but why not maximise your chances and have the newest const cases possible, new succession cases seeing as how you are guaranteed 2 succession qs, etc.

Best of luck to everybody who is still on the FE1 journey, they can be bate lads!

Congrats again to those who passed, hope to see ye in Blackhall in Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Right 2B a liar

Congratulations to all of those who have passed the FE1s!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

well it's finally after hitting me, I have been in state of shock for last 3 hours. To everybody that passed today, hearty congratulations. To those who were unlucky, please don't be too disenheartened and pick yourselves up and dust yourselves off, be angry because the anger will motivate you and hit the next batch of exams like a tornado. They are incredibly hard, no doubt, but not insurmountable. That idea pretty much got me through my exams in March. I've passed some, failed some, got a recheck and was brought up to 49 (the height of cruelty), I had five to sit in March and even though it was a bit of a rollercoaster, they are behind me now. I had huge pressure because a TC was lined up to start in June and I wasn't really confident at all.

I really am surprised with property and contract- I got 54 in Property but I remember being really nervous after the exam because I said that the dude who died died intestate even though i knew the SA 1965 said the testator himself had to rip up the will and not the personal representative- I applied rules of intestacy and hotchpot without going too much into the testate rules i.e. LRS and s.117 etc, literally just summarised them in a paragraph to cover my ass. I hated the adverse possession question, easements q was grand, i did the other succession q too and as a fifth and rather desperate attempt, I did the half q on rights and resp of joint tenants- so I only had four and a half answers. I still am not sure if my approach to the succession problem was correct- would love to see a sample answer to this if somebody gets one. BUT this just hammers home my point- it is so incredibly hard to tell, and if I let myself beat myself up about it at the time, it would have affected my other exams.

Also with contract, I just felt rough on the day, not very sharp, attempted five but ran out of time on last one, some of the problem questions I spent more time regurgitating the facts with very little caselaw in parts, I was very nervous because I heard she is a hard marker, and I just about scraped by the skin of my teeth with a 50. I thought Equity was my best subject because it was the only exam where I stuck rigidly to the 35 mins per q rule and I had five solid answers, but I only got 53 in that.

Just my two cents for those going forward, and I know these have been said 1 million times but I'll throw it in again.

Do not overlimit yourself topics wise- the exams are getting more and more unpredictable and relying on grids etc, imo, can never be determinative of what is going to come up. Quite different to undergrad is this respect. That said, there are clear patterns and trends in every subject and know the examiners favourite areas.
    Definitely definitely attempt 5 questions, even if your last question is a hail mary attempt from memory or bullet pointed or whatever. I always aim for four and a decent attempt.
    Do try to stick to some sort of time plan- 5 mins to read at start and 35 mins per question etc. I did readjust my time schedule in some exams- e.g. in property i reassessed time once I saw paper and allocated 15 mins for last question because I didn't have much prepared for it, but I find even writing it down on the front page of the exam booklet makes you so much more focused.
    Manuals are all well and good- I did the Griffith course for every subject- but make sure to independently go and search out new cases- it's referred to as 'bridging the gap' between your knowledge of law from undergrad and current developments. The Griffith materials are good, and are probably enough to pass, but why not maximise your chances and have the newest const cases possible, new succession cases seeing as how you are guaranteed 2 succession qs, etc.

Best of luck to everybody who is still on the FE1 journey, they can be bate lads!

Congrats again to those who passed, hope to see ye in Blackhall in Sept.

Thanks for telling us your experiences RebelScorned, and glad to see you have the FE1's behind you. Just want to ask how long did it take? A year for them all was it?

Anyway, after sitting my first 4 and being disappointed I look back and agree with people saying don't limit yourself to certain topics. I tried to predict 5 topics that would come up and then I added 5 topics in to cover myself, but this didn't work, each exam I was only able to do 3 questions properly and then had to lash at 2. I know I could have gotten pox lucky and all my topics I prepared could have came up, but this usually doesn't happen as people have pointed out and I found out the hard way, try to know as much as you can. I'm going to put them out of my head now for a month or two then I'll start again and try to fill in the gaps I left out of the subjects I did this time around and hopefully know more areas next time and hopefully have a bit more luck on my side than for the one's just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Right 2B a liar

For those of you who wants to know what's next its very simple, email the trainee section of LS and request a PPC1 pack. In the meantime be gathering your docs, such as two character references, not employment reference although it may be possible your employer can provide you with one; your original birth cert; a copy of your leaving and junior certificate; university transcript/degree/letter from the university and proof of passing the FE1

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

I got 59 in property, I sat it in Oct and was sure I'd passed but only got 48, this time I was sure I failed feeling the paper didn't go as well as the previous then came out with the 59.. predicting the result is almost as hard as predicting the paper. Unfort failed company this time too. I'm doing a masters and working part-time, on top of the FE1s, in hind sight this is not a good idea and wouldn't advise it, way too much stress! Not sure why I thought it would be a good idea! My summer will consist of writing a dissertation and studying for my final three..
    Well done to everyone and chin up to those who failed, we'll get there in the end!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Muskyy

I got 46 in equity! Extremely disappointed! I really thought I got near 60 I was so happy after the exam! I'm defo rechecking but does ne 1 know how likely or how often they'd bring up your result! Im convinced there's a mistake. It's so disheartening! :-( do ya's think it'd b possible to come up 4 %?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 happy_man2010

Muskyy wrote: »
    I got 46 in equity! Extremely disappointed! I really thought I got near 60 I was so happy after the exam! I'm defo rechecking but does ne 1 know how likely or how often they'd bring up your result! Im convinced there's a mistake. It's so disheartening! :-( do ya's think it'd b possible to come up 4 %?

Yeah I was shocked at my equity result. It was the only exam I had left to do and I had training contract lined up if I passed it. I'm not sure what the likelihood of getting brought up on a re-check is. Is this examiner a particularly tough marker?

Yeah I was shocked at my equity result. It was the only exam I had left to do and I had training contract lined up if I passed it. I'm not sure what the likelihood of getting brought up on a re-check is. Is this examiner a particularly tough marker?

By all accounts, she is a very hard marker. I am the same- I thought I did a brilliant equity paper, only exam this time around where I had five solid questions and finished on time, even underlined my cases in the last minute, and I only got 53 which was my second worst result in my FE1s. I know so many people who come out of equity going 'that was lovely' and barely scraped a pass mark. I think there is a bit of play here- maybe hard marking is the price you pay for no mixing of topics or something? I wouldn't be very confident that she would bring you up on a recheck but if you really feel you did better, go for it. Especially if you have a TC waiting, I know it costs money to get it rechecked but really 120 yoyos in grand scheme of things isn't even a drop in the ocean. Just imagine if the result came back and you were bumped up. Like even though the vast majority of people don't get bumped up, I have heard of people going from 43 to 50, granted not in equity, but still and all, it could be something so simple like she only added up 4 questions instead of five or something like that.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭chopser

Yeah from my experience I think the examiner is a very tough marker.
    I know I failed it and only just passed it the second time despite being very confident and fully sure I did a better paper in it than other exams (that I later received better results for)

I think it is considered on paper the easiest and most predictable and that is why many fail it. that was my excuse anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Charlie D

I would tend to agree that the equity examiner must be hard to impress. While I did pass I would have thought I would have scored higher.

I was also surprised at my tort exam. It was the one exam I felt very confident in and had done an amount of work for and got 55. I had no problem answering five questions on the paper either for that. While getting over the 50 is all you need with these dreaded exams it is interesting to see how the marks can differ.

From my experience property, EU and company examiners were more lenient markers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement