Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭RebelScorned

Ha ha - I was the same, I thought they had made a mistake too and waited till this morning to see for sure that I had passed - which I had - awful exams over - finally. Quick question does indentures mean fees? And if so, is it the norm that the student pays them or is it the norm that a firm will? :o

I am the same! Nice to see it in print- Law Soc confirming we passed Final Examination - First Part and congratulating us on our success- almost the sweetest letters I ever got- right up there with the one offering me my dream TC!

Have you gotten an indenture pack from the Law Soc yet? You just ring trainee section and they post it out to you- it's like an application form for PPC 1 and you have to send up various pieces. I sent it to my firm months ago, before the exams even, and they were keeping it safe- the final piece was the letter I got this morning so I sent that up to Dublin and then the firm is sending it to the Law Society for me. There is a fee for applying- another couple of hundred yoyos I think, I cannot remember exactly- think it might be €650 but not sure, my firm is covering this though. You should ask your firm- your training solicitor needs to consent to indentures too so they might send it away for you- I'm sure the HR dept could advise you.

Congrats again!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 lolita60

hey guys any idea on where would be best to do a prep course for Criminal Law....

Undecided between Ciaran Patton (Independent Colleges) and John Smith (GCD)

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

lolita60 wrote: »
    hey guys any idea on where would be best to do a prep course for Criminal Law....

Can only speak from personal experience, Smith was excellent in GCD, did the course once but passed it twice! As part of the dreaded 2/2.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

lolita60 wrote: »

Ciaran Patton is fantastic both for equity and criminal:D You can't go wrong with him, he is so logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LegalCity

Looking for sample answers for contract and equity? I have constitutional,tort and property if anyone is willing to exchange?

PM me if interested :)

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 ElleWoods

Did anyone take the City Colleges prep courses in these subjects?
    Is it true that the manuals are shorter?

To the person above, Ciaran Patton was fantastic for criminal law :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kelmchugh

Hey guys, hope results went well for everyone. Is it just me or does the manuals and books thread seem rather dead? Looking to purchase some manuals/ papers/ books.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

I am looking for EU sample answers and also Post 2009 Property answers.
    Can send all other six subjects in return :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 grainneol

kelmchugh wrote: »
    Hey guys, hope results went well for everyone. Is it just me or does the manuals and books thread seem rather dead? Looking to purchase some manuals/ papers/ books.

I am selling my manuals most recent Griffith College Editions 2011-2012 editions. Manuals include Criminal, Contract, Constitutional and Tort. Private mail me if interested

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

What books are you looking for? PM me with your list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 seanmk77

Can someone post up a link to the thread for books and manuals? i've done a search and the only one i can find is a locked thread.
    I am selling the most recent Independent Colleges manuals Tort, Property, Equity and Contract. I also have exam papers and reports October 2006 onwards and exam grids.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Fe1erere

Hey there, take a look here:http://www.adverts.ie/1547160
    Let me know if you're interested:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 trying to cram

ElleWoods wrote: »
    Did anyone take the City Colleges prep courses in these subjects?
    Is it true that the manuals are shorter?

To the person above, Ciaran Patton was fantastic for criminal law :)

Manuals are shorter but just as good- Contract there was really good. Did one day Tort and that was very good too.
    They fill you with confidence which is half the battle going into these exams- (that and an elephant's memory).

Also it may seem ridiculous - but as part of their memory technique class at the beginning (very helpful) , they also had a nutrition talk. It was brilliant - All the other times I took the FE1s , I would say I put on a stone, but the nutritionist spoke of the food you should be eating to enhance your study....weird, I know, but was effective - not sure I will be eating any more blueberries in a hurry for a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭redscan

Hi I am planning on sitting fe1s in October 2012 and March 2013. I have a training contract so I have to get all eight in these two sittings.

What is the best way of splitting these up? My thinking is that it is better to try 5 (contract, equity, criminal, constitutional and property) in October and 3 (EU, tort and company) in March. Feels like it would take a bit of pressure off second time around a time when they all have to be done by!

Is this a good idea? Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DaleWinton

redscan wrote: »
    Hi I am planning on sitting fe1s in October 2012 and March 2013. I have a training contract so I have to get all eight in these two sittings.

What is the best way of splitting these up? My thinking is that it is better to try 5 (contract, equity, criminal, constitutional and property) in October and 3 (EU, tort and company) in March. Feels like it would take a bit of pressure off second time around a time when they all have to be done by!

Is this a good idea? Thanks for your help.

If you have to get them in two sittings and have a contract lined up, then I would strongly advise doing 5 in October. For those who have a contract lined up for Blackhall the March sitting is always the most pressurised because there is zero room for error so I would say have as much of the hard work done as possible before the second sitting. I'd also say make sure to sit either EU or Constitutional in this sitting, so as to split them up between sittings.

They are the two biggest subjects and are very difficult to manage in the same sitting.

This is the way I categorise the exams in terms of difficulty.

Category 1 (The "easiest")

Criminal
    Property
    Contract
    Equity

Category 2 (The Mid Range)

Tort
    Company

Category 3 (The Most difficult)

EU
    Constitutional

I would advise you study 3 from the first set, 1 from the second set and one from the third. ie something like Criminal, Property, Contract, Tort and Constitutional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

All grant administration for new applications is now on www.studentfinance.ie for anybody who has just passed their FE1s. Apparently you no longer make new applications to the Councils and VECs. They (studentfinance - SUSI) haven't yet opened up their 2012 grant scheme, but you can ring their helpdesk and leave your mobile number and email, they'll let you know then when the site goes live.

JC

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JLex

Hello
    Sat all 8 FE1 exams, passed 7 at the first attempt and failed 1 : Equity! I got 41 % answered 5 questions. Felt I did well and was shocked when I saw the results.
    Do you think there is any point appealing 41% ? I never failed an exam in my life and I thought I did really well in equity :(
    please help I cant make up my mind . Thanks
    !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

JLex wrote: »
    Hello
    Sat all 8 FE1 exams, passed 7 at the first attempt and failed 1 : Equity! I got 41 % answered 5 questions. Felt I did well and was shocked when I saw the results.
    Do you think there is any point appealing 41% ? I never failed an exam in my life and I thought I did really well in equity :(
    !

You passed 7 out of the 8 on you're first go. That's some achievement. Can't give info on the re-checks though, some people can be brought up from low 40's, then you hear of people getting 48 and only being brought up to 49. You might aswell go for it seeing as you will have all 8 if it gets brought up, better than thinking what if and it could save you another 6 months.

JLex wrote: »
    Hello
    !

Mighty achievement - well done. I agree with Chops, but it saves you a year, you have to go for it to make BhP this autumn. Lodge that re-check asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭JLex

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Mighty achievement - well done. I agree with Chops, but it saves you a year, you have to go for it to make BhP this autumn. Lodge that re-check asap!
    Thanks so much, both of you guys :) will apply for the recheck tomorrow... will be broke this weekend, lets hope its worth it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 LegalCity

General question to all. At present on the law soc website they have October (PROVISIONAL) exam dates beginning the 2nd of October 2012. Can anybody recall from past experience whether they tend to deviate from these provisional dates? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭birdie89

All grant administration for new applications is now on www.studentfinance.ie for anybody who has just passed their FE1s. Apparently you no longer make new applications to the Councils and VECs. They (studentfinance - SUSI) haven't yet opened up their 2012 grant scheme, but you can ring their helpdesk and leave your mobile number and email, they'll let you know then when the site goes live.

JC

what is this in relatin to jcjcjc? is this for people going to blackhall? or is there a grant to get the fees for the fe1s back??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

LegalCity wrote: »
    General question to all. At present on the law soc website they have October (PROVISIONAL) exam dates beginning the 2nd of October 2012. Can anybody recall from past experience whether they tend to deviate from these provisional dates? Thank you

Usually they don't change, but iv seen subjects swap days alright.

Never. You can take it as a given those will be the dates. The beauty of the October sitting is that the dates are published well in advance of the exams so as you can choose your timetable accordingly. The problem with the March sitting is that the timetable often isn't up by the time you have started studying.

They haven't deviated in the past five sessions anyway. Do you think the lawsoc is staffed by deviants? :P

birdie89 wrote: »
    what is this in relatin to jcjcjc? is this for people going to blackhall? or is there a grant to get the fees for the fe1s back??
    Yes and no.

birdie89 wrote: »

Your firm might refund the price of your FE1s for you, particularly if you are training with one of the larger firms in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

seanmk77 wrote: »
    Can someone post up a link to the thread for books and manuals? i've done a search and the only one i can find is a locked thread.
    I am selling the most recent Independent Colleges manuals Tort, Property, Equity and Contract. I also have exam papers and reports October 2006 onwards and exam grids.

Hi,

What are you looking for for your tort manual?

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mojo22

JC

Cheers for that info JC :D

• Advertisement

DaleWinton wrote: »
    Your firm might refund the price of your FE1s for you, particularly if you are training with one of the larger firms in town.

That would be amazing. I somehow doubt they do that in Kerry!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement