Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

I have heard most of the questions were literally word for word the same as the last sitting. Well for some!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

Seven out of the eight questions were the same word for word. They didn't even change the names of the people or dates in the problem questions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭sid4lev

nehemiah wrote: »
    Seven out of the eight questions were the same word for word. They didn't even change the names of the people or dates in the problem questions!

i can confirm that. 7/8 questions were word for word identical. That did not necessarily make it an easy paper though as i would imagine that a lot of people would have left out a lot of the topics that came up last time, which i assume was the purpose behind the copy & paste paper. Even then, the question were ok but not "easy". Only easy if you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭panda142

This is the new timetable for FE1's;

Wednesday 30 September Tort
    Thursday 01 October Company
    Friday 02 October Constitutional
    Monday 05 October Equity
    Tuesday 06 October EU
    Wednesday 07 October Criminal
    Thursday 08 October Property
    Friday 09 October Contract

Anyone any advice on which to do? Planning on doing some serious study this summer as starting an LLM in Sept so kinda wanna get as many as poss outta the way.....

any advice at all appreciated :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 moonbee72

Quick question for everyone - I have a traineeship lined up with one of the top 5 and am due to start Blackhall this Sept. I have four FE1s passed but am terrified that I failed at least one of the four I sat in the last session (Criminal was a disaster - spent way too long on first 2 Qs and then rushed the last 3 - and I'm not fully confident in any of the others and know from the last time that results can be really unexpected...)

Does anyone know whether firms are usually amenable to deferring training contracts or will I have to go through the whole interview hell again (now during a recession, yay!)

Am having nightmares about these results...

Anything anyone knows would be much appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭sid4lev

heya i pm'd you there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

It probably depends on the firm, the big 5 firm I have an offer from was adamant we had to pass them all in 3 sittings but different firms probably have different policies.

I'm due to start in 2010 but nervous they'll defer out until 2011 given the current climate. Just wish they would get on and do it if that will be the situation though because it allows you to plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

I have these Griffith College Manuals, used for April 09 Sitting:

Contract
    Property
    Equity

With past papers booklet for each

50 each or 120 for all three

In Dublin City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cranberry

Hi, I'd be willing to buy all three, I'm in the Dublin 6W area.

Need to start studying this summer once final college exams are over!

Thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

i have criminal tort and property griffith manuals from october sitting to sell if anyone is interested. Let me know :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Heineken pants

Anyone know when the March results are due out?

4 griffith manuals for sale. Constitutional Criminal Equity and Company. (2007-2008) Anyone intersted can mail me at walshkevin44@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

^ Mid June afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 30 darkangel1986

hi was wondering does anybody have independent college manuals in the subjects of property, crime, constitutional and eu. have already done equity, contract,company and tort. would be willing to swap/pay for manuals.
    living in co cork.
    please contact me at odriscollaisling@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I heard the vainglorious independent colleges radio advert for their fe1 course. "personalised tuition" and all that craic while the reality is some lecturers won't even bother to respond to e-mails. They also claimed that they taught 6 prize winning fe1 candidates from this years exams. And here was me thinking that the results weren't out yet!

My experience with independent colleges was the same- Some lecturers wont get back to you. Has to be said that Val Corbett is probably the best thing about that college. Property lecturer made the subject more painful than it was, every time i saw her i just wanted to cry...wat a load of rubbish she was

My experience with independent colleges was the same- Some lecturers wont get back to you. Has to be said that Val Corbett is probably the best thing about that college. Property lecturer made the subject more painful than it was, every time i saw her i just wanted to cry...wat a load of rubbish she was

Thats very harsh, the property lecturer was a nice woman dealing with a pretty boring subject tbh, and her real world experience was great its the only one of the classes where you could get a feel for what the day to day work of a solicitor is about.

It much easier for example to make Tort interesting, but has little basis in real practise, you should have given her more of a chance.

You must have had some really amazing lecturers in the past!

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I heard the vainglorious independent colleges radio advert for their fe1 course. "personalised tuition" and all that craic while the reality is some lecturers won't even bother to respond to e-mails. They also claimed that they taught 6 prize winning fe1 candidates from this years exams. And here was me thinking that the results weren't out yet!

Sorry but your post is a load of ba lls, your obviously trying to knock them right before the results and its just sad.

Did you do much of the homework?it was always corrected on time in my experience, i've been in the canteen lots of times and Philip was there with various guys going through stuff. Val always said come up at the end of the class if you are having bother (his writing is a bit mental which even he admits) All the lecturers were available if you went to them.

Theres no way they would just ignore a request.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gilly86

I find the 'no response' thing unbelievable to be honest...from my experience on the course, my emails were always answered unbeliveably promptly...and friends on the course have also said the exact same. I have sent an email late at night and even got a reply back at midnight!

I believe it is 7 prizewinners that they have taught, and this is from the 2008 sitting as they state on their website, although I am sure 2009 will pan out pretty much the same for them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Thats very harsh, the property lecturer was a nice woman dealing with a pretty boring subject tbh, and her real world experience was great its the only one of the classes where you could get a feel for what the day to day work of a solicitor is about.

I liked her a lot. Thought the manual was poor but in her lectures she explained the confusing material well and threw in a lot of illustrative (and often funny) anecdotes. Turned out to be one of my better exams - at least I think so...

Val and Philip are great, I have no criticisms of any of the lecturers I had there TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Sorry but your post is a load of ba lls, your obviously trying to knock them right before the results and its just sad.

Did you do much of the homework?it was always corrected on time in my experience, i've been in the canteen lots of times and Philip was there with various guys going through stuff. Val always said come up at the end of the class if you are having bother (his writing is a bit mental which even he admits) All the lecturers were available if you went to them.

Theres no way they would just ignore a request.

Ah yes facts are "a load of balls" these days. I'm not knocking them right before the results, I'm knocking them having completed their course. I did the regional course outside Dublin via dvd so I did not have the opportunity to approach lecturers in person after lectures or at other times. I was informed by Pamela, who seemed very helpful by the way, that for the regional courses all correspondance and queries would be answered by e-mail. No I never submitted homework.
    gilly86 wrote: »
    I find the 'no response' thing unbelievable to be honest...

I believe it is 7 prizewinners that they have taught, and this is from the 2008 sitting as they state on their website, although I am sure 2009 will pan out pretty much the same for them too.

I found the response thing unbelievable too. I sent a certain female constitutional law lecturer 4 e-mails over the space of a month and a bit well before the exam, and I did not get 1 response from her. The e-mail address was correct because I always double checked it and I did not get an automated message saying my mail could not be delivered. I only e-mailed one other lecturer and the reason for so doing was because of glaring inaccuracies in the manual, he clarified everything for me within an hour of sending the e-mail so he couldn't have been any more helpful.

Regarding the prizewinning claim, the radio advert said this years exams, of which the results as far as I'm aware having sat the exams are not available.

• Advertisement

Ah yes facts are "a load of balls" these days. I'm not knocking them right before the results, I'm knocking them having completed their course. I did the regional course outside Dublin via dvd so I did not have the opportunity to approach lecturers in person after lectures or at other times. I was informed by Pamela, who seemed very helpful by the way, that for the regional courses all correspondance and queries would be answered by e-mail. No I never submitted homework.

Your situation is for distance learning so I cant really comment/should have asked you, I was in the lectures in Dublin and presumed you were too. I found e-mail response was always quick.

PS imo it would be a better tactic to do some homework and get feedback rather than sending in e-mails asking a lecturer about topics but maybe its required for a distance candidate I really don't know, you posted that you were being ignored I am really amazed at that I gotta say but I only sent some of them a few e-mails anway. (Val, Mark, Philip)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

I'm signed up at Griffith college for FE1 classes and I've moaned about a lot of things there but the lecturers always answered emails. I think it's part of the job description for them, I'd expect the same from independent colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ireland1italy0

Regarding the prizewinning claim, the radio advert said this years exams, of which the results as far as I'm aware having sat the exams are not available.

That is rubbish alright, but what they probably mean to refer are the people who were awarded the prizes in 2009 for the 2008 exams. Sales puff's and all that...anyway who gives a rats arse about some first class honours graduate getting the prize? me want to pass. :)

It much easier for example to make Tort interesting, but has little basis in real practise, you should have given her more of a chance.

You must have had some really amazing lecturers in the past!

Harsh but fair!

Ya i have had some great lecturers, philip and val being among them so i was expecting the standard to remain high.

Well i didnt say she was a bad person, she probably was a nice woman, i just thought she was rubbish. No i wouldnt agree with that at all, i never felt like she gave a feel for what the work of a solicitor is about. In fact i think if i picked my nose id get a better feel for what its about. I do think she should use her "real world experience" in an office though rather than a class room

Harsh but fair!

Ya i have had some great lecturers, philip and val being among them so i was expecting the standard to remain high.

Well i didnt say she was a bad person, she probably was a nice woman, i just thought she was rubbish. No i wouldnt agree with that at all, i never felt like she gave a feel for what the work of a solicitor is about. In fact i think if i picked my nose id get a better feel for what its about. I do think she should use her "real world experience" in an office though rather than a class room

LOL you said she made you want to cry, thats a bit harsh in fairness.

Differt opinions fair enough, she was no way rubbish imo, delat well with a bloddy boring subject. I like real world experience alongside a lecture thats just a personal thing.

I simply thought the property class gave a feel for real practise as she relted the theory to the actual conveyancing of land and the ins and outs of succession from a practical viewpoint etc. you dont really get these with the other subjects as much its easier in property as the course is so much smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

which property lecturer?

which property lecturer?

There was only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭limericklady87

Going to do the unthinkable and sit 4 fe1s in October. I'm looking to get either griffith or independent manuals for Company, Property and Contract, preferably from April 09 sitting or as recent as possible. PM me please if anyone is willing to part with theirs! Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 ireland1italy0

LOL you said she made you want to cry, thats a bit harsh in fairness.

Differt opinions fair enough, she was no way rubbish imo, delat well with a bloddy boring subject. I like real world experience alongside a lecture thats just a personal thing.

I simply thought the property class gave a feel for real practise as she relted the theory to the actual conveyancing of land and the ins and outs of succession from a practical viewpoint etc. you dont really get these with the other subjects as much its easier in property as the course is so much smaller.

I think its great if you can do the FE1's and get a feel for how to use the law you learn in practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 aef85

has anyone heard of comprehensive law courses,its a day course for each subject next sept or october,got a flyer today??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement