Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Fe1exams wrote: »
    Seriously, you are studying law , why? Examine wants good answers he could not care less about your personal life. ( many people did the extra study beyond the prep books while holding down full time jobs, it is hard but better off a least trying)

Foley has made some valid points. I would pay heed to them. The academic issues.Foley is referring to concern essays a opposed to the problem questions.

Not prepared to do the work, don't bother doing the exams. The law reports (all free and accessible on the net) are valuable source of information, especially the consultation papers, almost as good as the various textbooks to get a grip on what the law in a particular area is.

Foley spelt it out for you, each examiner has their own favourite issues, contract I seems to be provity. In eu law if I recall travers is keen on equality as he was involved in a case or two. That 5 % may b the difference between getting the bare 50 per cent despite only doing 3 1/2 full questions properly.

Try not to freak out about the results. you maybe ok.

get some sleep u nut job - but i agree this is not a basket weaving course this is law! grow a p[air will u
    Believe me , I have a pair, and they are a lot bigger than yours . You are the one whining and moaning about the amount of studying needed to get a pass in these exams. Bit odd for you to be telling others to grow a pair.

Very little in what I said was inaccurate or unfair. You could not even understand what Foley actually said regarding the academic issues when dealing with essays, as oppose to problem questions (though comes in handy when the law in Ireland is not settled) The fact you did not attempt (and I guarantee you, you could not do so, unless you like being made look stupid,) does not say very much for you. You are going to get screwed in real life Legal Practice with that attitude.

. But hey best of luck in life, when you don't have the prep school books to assist you. Notice another poster pointing out to you that you were bang out of order that time, not to mention completely over your head complaining about petty reasons. But hey, I aint the one still doing this exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

chops018 wrote: »
    Second time for me. I should have passed the last time only I fecked up two questions by rushing and misinterpreting them completely.

I came out thinking I did fantastic! Still can't understand why I failed it which is what worries me :/ Third time lucky perhaps!

Best of luck everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Equity beckons, Breen calmly sips a coffee in the cold and dark of her UCD office.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Equity beckons, Breen calmly sips a coffee in the cold and dark of her UCD office.

:-) good luck today with the exam.

Hi JCJC,

I was just wondering when Eoin Carolan gives his annual round up of constitutional law? There was nothing on the UCD constitutional law site about it recently!

Good to have you back on this thread:-). Hope you are enjoying your post FE1 life.

• Advertisement

Same here, actually had a minor freakout, forgot about 90% of the cases, most of my answers are just whatever is in the treaties and a whole lot of waffle!

I too forgot a lot of the case names but I knew the legal points from them so I just said "case law shows that . . .". Try and make the examiner think that I know the cases but chose not to name them!

Hmmm there is so much to cover in EU. I wrote about 1 good answer on the directives and then did the free movements question. He really mixed that up!! If I do have to repeat I won't be doing competition law, I just hate that topic. Was huge mistake to leave out equality and the case note question alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lilfeely

Hey guys,

Does anyone know of very recent constitutional cases that we should be aware of for exam tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bouchez

colonel1 wrote: »
    Hmmm there is so much to cover in EU. I wrote about 1 good answer on the directives and then did the free movements question. He really mixed that up!! If I do have to repeat I won't be doing competition law, I just hate that topic. Was huge mistake to leave out equality and the case note question alas.

Worrying a bit about EU.

Thought I had written a good answer for that question about the satellite decoder but I wrote about it in the context of FMG as opposed to freedom to provide services/establishment. I wonder will I pick up a few marks?

The Competition Law problem question was extremely long I thought. I didn’t have much on the second part of it i.e. the increase in frequency of the freight ferries, although I mentioned something about pricing abuses alright. I set out a lot of relevant law, but my application of it to the facts was fairly average.

Hoping that his reputation as a fair marker is true!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 userlady

bouchez wrote: »
    Worrying a bit about EU.

Thought I had written a good answer for that question about the satellite decoder but I wrote about it in the context of FMG as opposed to freedom to provide services/establishment. I wonder will I pick up a few marks?

The Competition Law problem question was extremely long I thought. I didn’t have much on the second part of it i.e. the increase in frequency of the freight ferries, although I mentioned something about pricing abuses alright. I set out a lot of relevant law, but my application of it to the facts was fairly average.

Hoping that his reputation as a fair marker is true!

I wrote that the satelitte was about services/estab but a lot of people are divided as to whether it was fmg or services. I still cant tell :/ Very hard to distinguish! I just went with services because otherwise there would have been two article 34 questions so I took a guess!

Equity; reasonably happy, going to be close.

1 more to go, ugh . . . need motivation to study. E.U. and equity have really taken it out of me, but I suppose tomorrow could potentially be my last ever FE1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DeSourire

Caoileann wrote: »
    I came out thinking I did fantastic! Still can't understand why I failed it which is what worries me :/ Third time lucky perhaps!

Best of luck everyone :)

Ugh God that is not good, I felt I went ok today but god only knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GildedCage

I thought equity was fair enough today happy with my five answers hopefully it's marked nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 27 noseriously

So what are people doing for Constitutional?

I'm doing:
    - Unenumerated Rights
    - Interpretation
    - Family & Personal Rights (esp Abortion & Children's Rights Referendum)
    - Freedom of Expression
    - Right to Trial in Due Course of Law
    A few other little bits, locus standi etc.

Does that sound like enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 lilfeely

I'm doing:
    - Unenumerated Rights
    - Interpretation
    - Freedom of Expression

Are you leaving out Separation of Powers?

I'd do the Attorney General as its short and easy, hasn't been up in few papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

I'm doing:
    - Unenumerated Rights
    - Interpretation
    - Freedom of Expression

dont leave out non delegation or justiciability- id leave out Interpretation as he seems not to be concerned much with it anymore. thats just my advice- defo on family hot topic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 noseriously

I'm sortof doing it - not everything, just enough to recognise it as an issue in a prob question and attempt it as my last q if I'm stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Yeah I was happy with Equity. One of the first times in an exam where I would have been able to give all 8 questions a go so that's always a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    dont leave out non delegation or justiciability- id leave out Interpretation as he seems not to be concerned much with it anymore. thats just my advice- defo on family hot topic!!!

Ya def agree with Elmo + i would def advise doing property rights and equality/proportionality doctrine!

Any1 got any hunches on what cases myt b asked in a case note q? Really dont like that q and but really narrows your choices in da exam if u dont answer it because then you need to answer 5 of out 7 q's!

In what form does justiciability come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

Q.3, October 2010
    "The protections for judicial independence provided by Articles 35 and 36 are
    critically important to the functioning of democratic government in Ireland".
    Do you agree? Discuss.

Q.6 October 2007
    "The independence of the judiciary is an important value in Irish Constitutional law". Do you agree with this statement?

• Advertisement

Glinda! wrote: »
    Q.3, October 2010
    "The protections for judicial independence provided by Articles 35 and 36 are
    critically important to the functioning of democratic government in Ireland".
    Do you agree? Discuss.

Q.6 October 2007
    "The independence of the judiciary is an important value in Irish Constitutional law". Do you agree with this statement?

Thank you!
    Is justiciability and justiciable controversy the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

userlady wrote: »
    Thank you!
    Is justiciability and justiciable controversy the same thing?

No, justiciable controversy is the Sinn Fein Funds case (Buckley) the legislature taking away the courts right to decide a case through legislation.
    Justiciability is just when the courts say they can't look at a case because it is the jurisdiction of the executive or the Oireachtas ie Socio economic rights or Dail enquiries.

boomtown84 wrote: »
    No, justiciable controversy is the Sinn Fein Funds case (Buckley) the legislature taking away the courts right to decide a case through legislation.
    Justiciability is just when the courts say they can't look at a case because it is the jurisdiction of the executive or the Oireachtas ie Socio economic rights or Dail enquiries.

Ok thanks. Just looking to study that topic and noticed there is a lot of different types of issues. Do the quoted qs above regarding the independence of the judiciary not relate to justiciable controversy then? How would I recognise a justiciability q? are they generally essays?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭DeSourire

Are people covering the public interest privilege/cabinet confidentiality?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

The topics I'm studying for tomorrow are:

- Unenumerated rights
    - Due process
    - Locus standi, justiciability (maybe presumption of constitutionality/mootness too?)
    - Property
    - Family and education
    - Religion
    - Separation of powers

Is that likely to get me through?

In order to compare, my topics are;
    - Attorney General along with locus standi and representative actions
    - Due process (A.38.1)
    - The Dáil; Voting and election issues and Privilege
    - Separation of Powers; Non-Delegation Doctrine and the Judiciary
    - Amending the Constitution
    - Unenumerated Rights; Right of Access to Courts (with emphasis on legal aid), Right to Earn a Livelihood and Right to Privacy
    - Amending the Constitution and Challenging the Constitutionality of Legislation

Other possibilties depending upon time;
    - Methods of Interpretation
    - Terminology and Effects of Unconstitutionality

Leaving out Family and Children, and Abortion as I am guessing the paper was written with the spring 2012 paper so these issues were not in the popular news media.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Hey people - almost there now!!!!

Any chance somebody could send me a Constitutional Grid please.....??

A bit of a long shot at this stage I guess but would like to skim through it....

Here we go, last exam. My toilet is full of bricks. It'll all be over soon
    its_go_time.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

thoughts on Constitutional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brumbram6

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    thoughts on Constitutional
    Disaster for me.:(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement