Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

yeah not what i expected - he is a really hard marker so dont get why he set a horrible paper to top it off- boo hoo

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

Only 1 thought - HORRENDOUS! No trial n due course or property rights or anything else I had prepared! Gutted :(

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brumbram6

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    yeah not what i expected - he is a really hard marker so dont get why he set a horrible paper to top it off- boo hoo
    Thats it.it like hr is trying to catch ppl out.well done u succeeded.now just mark it as hard as u can.booo

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Shockin paper. Can't believe how bad I did. Back in March for me! Thought that'd be the end of these poxy exams...studied my hoop off for this and thought i had enough covered. Bollocks! Was it just me or was this very different to every exam paper in the last 10 odd sittings?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 donners87

that's terrible.. sorry to hear it was a bad paper. i'm doing it next sitting. would anyone have a copy they could send me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

What happened?
    Sorry to hear you didnt do aswel as you expected thats always very disapointing. Its hard to accept it and move on as we all know the consequences. Lots of people have to do resits. Ive never heard in my life of a course which so many people have to resit. I suppose you really need to know your stuff or else be lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone have a list of what came up?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

boomtown84 wrote: »
    Shockin paper. Can't believe how bad I did. Back in March for me! Thought that'd be the end of these poxy exams...studied my hoop off for this and thought i had enough covered. Bollocks! Was it just me or was this very different to every exam paper in the last 10 odd sittings?

completely agree- very different paper- completely different angles and direction- we are instructed to study past exam papers but if u change the style of the paper how does that help! seriously- did he write that paper and pat himself on the back with an evil laugh:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brumbram6

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    What happened?
    Sorry to hear you didnt do aswel as you expected thats always very disapointing. Its hard to accept it and move on as we all know the consequences. Lots of people have to do resits. Ive never heard in my life of a course which so many people have to resit. I suppose you really need to know your stuff or else be lucky!
    I really thought i was prepared but u either know every single thing or u know nothing.forget pasy exam papers,forget preparatory courses - just know it all. And i will by the time i am finished wit this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gragra7

Hey, what was the gregory question on in the exam? It involved a tribunal? I wish I had studied referendums. Not a good exam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

I left in tears..

• Registered Users Posts: 38 itsonlybla

Hogzy wrote: »
    Anyone have a list of what came up?

As I saw it:

Case note
    Right to life / personal autonomy
    Privilege / judicial function / fair procedures
    Referendum / emergency powers / FR
    SOP essay
    Fundamental rights essay
    Consequences of unconstitutionality
    Equality / Art 41

Could be be wrong on the questions I didn't do mind

Or wrong entirely indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

When I read the exam first:
    tumblr_lpx3wpKl3L1qjw7iw.gif

Now having done it and hearing how everyone else did:
    tumblr_lpx3sg4kot1qjw7iw.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

itsonlybla wrote: »
    As I saw it:

Case note
    SOP essay
    Fundamental rights essay

Equality / Art 41

That doesn't tell the whole story by the way! Those essay questions were seemingly vague and abstract and for the fuddy duddy academics of the world, not pragmatic-thinking solicitors.

itsonlybla wrote: »
    As I saw it:

Case note
    SOP essay
    Fundamental rights essay

Equality / Art 41

That doesn't tell the whole story by the way! Those essay questions were seemingly vague and abstract and for the fuddy duddy academics of the world, not pragmatic-thinking solicitors.

Yeah that FR essay was bandy kept clear of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lillylally

I just kept reading over the paper in disbelief!
    None of us expect an easy paper but we should at least get a fair one..

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

boomtown84 wrote: »

The change in style of the questions was completely unfair. It was time constraining merely figuring out what some of them required

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

colonel1 wrote: »
    Hi JCJC,

I was just wondering when Eoin Carolan gives his annual round up of constitutional law? There was nothing on the UCD constitutional law site about it recently!

Good to have you back on this thread:-). Hope you are enjoying your post FE1 life.

I'm not really back - just the occasional guest appearance while I pogue the hones of every two-bit solicitor I know - and that's a fair few - in search of the elusive traineeship. I'm carrying a sheet from the bed with me - no mere hankie would dry the tears from all the sob stories I'm listening to. It's all before you guys.

Anyway - Dr C gives an annual lecture around February-March in UCD Belfield, at which he outlines the most significant constitutional cases from the previous year. It's public, and there's a fee to be paid, but there's a student rate. It pops up on solicitors' CPD hours and on the law events email you can subscribe to, I think it's run by UCC. He also gives a handout to support the lecture. I think it's well worth the effort to go to it - the great Hogzy and I went along together. You'll get a handle on his thinking generally, and those all-important cases will let you know what he thinks is particularly important and why. They will perhaps be the bones of his problem questions, and will definitely come up in his case-note question.
    On the night, there will usually be a few other lectures as well on constitutional law, it can't hurt to hear them and to take away the handout. If you pass constitutional this time it's irrelevant, but if it's on your hit list for next Spring look out for that lecture.

Is there any chance someone could email me a scan of the exam?

PM me if its at all possible. I know its a big ask but i would very much appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Keane91

For question 3 the fundamental rights question as it said individual personality was this a question based on Mc Gee, Norris and Foy or could have you extended it to privacy as well, the individual personality part through me off a bit as I wasnt sure whether to include privacy in relation to journalism in it aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 userlady

Keane91 wrote: »
    For question 3 the fundamental rights question as it said individual personality was this a question based on Mc Gee, Norris and Foy or could have you extended it to privacy as well, the individual personality part through me off a bit as I wasnt sure whether to include privacy in relation to journalism in it aswell.

I just wrote a general essay on unenumerated rights....totally misinterpreted the quote. Thats me gone so :( whinge. Such a horrible paper!

userlady wrote: »
    Keane91 wrote: »

I just wrote a general essay on unenumerated rights....totally misinterpreted the quote. Thats me gone so :( whinge. Such a horrible paper!

I think there was latitude there with that question I wouldn't worry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

Hm, I'm very uneasy right now. It was one of the only exams I left feeling I did alright in, but literally everyone I have met since has talked about what a disaster of a paper it was. Which leads me to believe that I left something significant out or fundamentally misinterpreted one or more of the questions.

For the fundamental rights question I talked about general fundamental rights but with a slight focus on privacy. Made the general point that many of the rights are based on an individualist view of rights but can be tempered by reference to public interests and the common good.

To be honest I felt like most of my answers were okay but not spectacular, if he is as hard a marker as people say my original confidence may be misplaced...

Remember the bell curve folks, he cant, and wont fail everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 27 noseriously

Ok, firstly I'm really glad that everyone else thought that was a horrible paper too! secondly, am the only person who thought the fundamental rights q was referring specifically to the human personality test???

Ok, firstly I'm really glad that everyone else thought that was a horrible paper too! secondly, am the only person who thought the fundamental rights q was referring specifically to the human personality test???

No! I thought that also. But, I kind of figured it out with my amazing powers of deduction when I discovered the equality question.
    Having said that, I may have been better off writing about the human personality doctrine for each of my answers... Got completely thrown and waffled on and on and on.... Which I'm sure he will just love!!!
    Maybe after he's had the painful experience of having to read through my masterpiece and by the sounds of it, a few more prize winning scripts, he'l think twice about inflicting the likes of that on us, and himself, again!!!

Remember the bell curve folks, he cant, and wont fail everyone

Ok I'm probably about to display that my failing constitutional today was nothing to do with the paper ... But, what's the bell curve???

Lillylally wrote: »
    Ok I'm probably about to display that my failing constitutional today was nothing to do with the paper ... But, what's the bell curve???

Its a graph that educational institutions try to stick to when deciding on the standard required for grading exam papers.

Wiki Link

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Its a graph that educational institutions try to stick to when deciding on the standard required for grading exam papers.

Wiki Link

They hardly use that here? You either put down the right info or you don't. What if everyone went in and didn't even attempt the exam. Or am I misunderstanding the Curve Grading system?

• Advertisement

chops018 wrote: »
    They hardly use that here? You either put down the right info or you don't. What if everyone went in and didn't even attempt the exam. Or am I misunderstanding the Curve Grading system?

But thats not going to happen is it? Everyone goes in trying their best. Obviously if everyone goes in and writes nothing then everyone fails.

If everyone goes into an exam and does excellent, then the standard to pass is raised. Its the simple law of averages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement