Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Hogzy wrote: »
    In fairness, You can never 'expect' anything on the constitutional paper. It took me 4 attempts to get it. Kept failing and failing until i literally covered everything in JM Kelly. I then passed with flying colours.

Passing constitutional requires an in depth knowledge of EVERYTHING on the course and a VERY up to date knowledge of recent caselaw. IMO its the hardest paper out of the 8, Not because of the content (which is quite easy to get your head around) but because of the unpredictability of the examiner.

I know...I did the paper. I knew most of the course backwards. My own fault for not knowing ALL of the course backwards. It was just a nightmare turning over the paper to find it was completely different to every past paper I looked at. i'll know better for March. I'll nail it then.

He has been very predictable up until now so don't know what you're on about there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Right lads, gearing up for hopefully last set, doing a prep course in EU.
    Who's best? Will be doing it online only. Any recommendations for best one?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

godeas16 wrote: »

Brendan Foley in City Colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

They're up on youtube, a single 1 hour (sample) lecture in most subjects for independent/griffith/city colleges.

Something that could make this thread a great resource for people doing the FE1's is if we make our own grid going back 5-10 years in every subject. It could be updated by whoever's doing the exams every April/October.

As it currently is, it just seems to be a thread where a handful of regulars chat. People asking questions are usually ignored. It wouldn't be that difficult to make this thread into something that's actually useful for people doing the FE1's.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 donners87

do you have any of the youtube links?? can only see some of the griffith ones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

donners87 wrote: »
    do you have any of the youtube links?? can only see some of the griffith ones

If you type 'Independent colleges Constitutional Law Clip 1' into the youtube search bar and scroll down a bit city/independent/griffith are all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lawgirl12

I'd highly recommend Brendan Foley in City Colleges for EU law. The man has got me through three FE1 subjects at this stage and is just brilliant! He breaks down complicated concepts and makes them manageable, which is pretty crucial for both Constitutional & EU. He's also extremely approachable & will talk you through any issues you're having - he was happy to talk to me individually on a few occasions about homework I sent in. And his PowerPoint slides pretty much negate the need to make your own notes - it's all in there!

Good luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

Any idea when the courses start?
    Personally my key credential in choosing a course is a lecturer and College that simplifies a topic. Next is someone really willing to help me get through...

Any ideas when courses start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Fe1exams wrote: »
    Any idea when the courses start?
    Personally my key credential in choosing a course is a lecturer and College that simplifies a topic. Next is someone really willing to help me get through...

Any ideas when courses start?

november 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

I am looking for a 2012 grid for company law. I can swop for a tort, prop or crim oct 2012 ... thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

tumblr_m2fnlwTEFx1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

^^^
    Wish I could say the same, iv been going mad with job applications for the last 2 weeks. Today is the last day for applications so putting final touches on my answers.

Q. Why do you want a job at MOPS?
    A. (In My Head). Because you can give me an trainee contract.
    A. (Given). Because i feel I am suited towards blah blah blah...

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

^^^
    Wish I could say the same, iv been going mad with job applications for the last 2 weeks. Today is the last day for applications so putting final touches on my answers.

Q. Why do you want a job at MOPS?
    A. (In My Head). Because you can give me an trainee contract. Lol amend in head to "you can give me a paid trainee contract" :D

Hey Hogzy, the closing dates for Dillon Eustace and Eversheds are next week, so still time for additional headwrecking applications after today:D

Good luck with MOPS/Matheson (love the bit on their app form about the number of resits one might have done;)...not). I'm not applying to them again.

colonel1 wrote: »

Hey Hogzy, the closing dates for Dillon Eustace and Eversheds are next week, so still time for additional headwrecking applications after today:D

Good luck with MOPS/Matheson (love the bit on their app form about the number of resits one might have done;)...not). I'm not applying to them again.

Have the Dillon Eustace form printed out and awaiting filling in, have my passport photo aswell. Its strange how Arthur Cox and Dillon Eustace require a photo. One other firm required one sent via their online application but I cant remember who.

So far I have applied to MOPS, Arthur Cox, William Fry, Byrne Wallace, A&L Goodbody, McCann Fitzgerald, Mason Hayes & Curran

Will be applying to Dillon Eustace and Eversheds once the hangover from the Jazz Weekend wears off :P

Is there any firm that I left out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Maples? But their's is closed now. As is L.K. Shields.

Maples? But their's is closed now. As is L.K. Shields.

Oh yeah, I applied to Maples, Forgot about LK Shields though.

Eugene F Collins, though I think you need all FE1s before applying to that firm.

What email address did you send your Mason Hayes application to?

Good luck with all the apps anyway and enjoy the jazz festival:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 itsonlybla

Have the Dillon Eustace form printed out and awaiting filling in, have my passport photo aswell. Its strange how Arthur Cox and Dillon Eustace require a photo. One other firm required one sent via their online application but I cant remember who.

So far I have applied to MOPS, Arthur Cox, William Fry, Byrne Wallace, A&L Goodbody, McCann Fitzgerald, Mason Hayes & Curran

Will be applying to Dillon Eustace and Eversheds once the hangover from the Jazz Weekend wears off :P

Is there any firm that I left out?

Do they ask for a photo because they do group interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 a.flann

Hi just wondering if you have your EU notes still? Equity, tort or criminal, i am just starting to head hunt them now...

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

Anyone know roughly how long in advance do the Law Society publish the exam timetable? Do they usually stick to the same layout or mix it up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 LegalCity

Hi,

Have people received an interview emails yet?If so what firms? I post this as I have received one and I am living abroad at the moment and need to travel back for it.

So I dont snooker myself with interviews (flying back and fourth 4 or five times) if people have received emails about interviews could they pm me or post which firms so I can scratch them off.

Would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hi LegalCity,

First round interview offers are out from Arthur Cox. I got an email from them this afternoon about the group interviews. They will be held next week.
    LegalCity wrote: »
    Hi,

Have people received an interview emails yet?If so what firms? I post this as I have received one and I am living abroad at the moment and need to travel back for it.

So I dont snooker myself with interviews (flying back and fourth 4 or five times) if people have received emails about interviews could they pm me or post which firms so I can scratch them off.

Would be greatly appreciated. :)

Hey KoukiKeith it should be out at the end of November when the October FE1 sitting results are due out. They do mix up the timetable for some subjects, but tort has been the first exam for a while now.

KoukiKeith wrote: »
    Anyone know roughly how long in advance do the Law Society publish the exam timetable? Do they usually stick to the same layout or mix it up?

Hi LegalCity,

First round interview offers are out from Arthur Cox. I got an email from them this afternoon about the group interviews. They will be held next week.

When did you have your application in for?

Hi Hogzy,

I hand delivered my application last monday.
    When did you have your application in for?

Hi Hogzy,

I hand delivered my application last monday.

My application had arrived by the deadline and I received an email confirming receipt.

Getting worried now that I didnt get an interview:(

Hey Hogzy,

perhaps you will have some good news tomorrow. As far as I know, they interview quite a number of people in the first round (in groups of 10) so keep the faith that you will hear soon:D as it will take a while for them to contact everyone.

Have you heard from anyone else? I am still trying to decide whether or not to apply to Eversheds.
    My application had arrived by the deadline and I received an email confirming receipt.

Getting worried now that I didnt get an interview:(

Hey Hogzy,

perhaps you will have some good news tomorrow. As far as I know, they interview quite a number of people in the first round (in groups of 10) so keep the faith that you will hear soon:D as it will take a while for them to contact everyone.

Have you heard from anyone else? I am still trying to decide whether or not to apply to Eversheds.

Havnt heard from anyone else yet. Mind you I only submitted my applications last week so I dont expect to hear much soon.

Why wouldnt you apply to Eversheds? Iv littered every firm with applications. I can pick and choose those who offer me an interview/placement then. The more the merrier in my opinion.

Havnt heard from anyone else yet. Mind you I only submitted my applications last week so I dont expect to hear much soon.

Why wouldnt you apply to Eversheds? Iv littered every firm with applications. I can pick and choose those who offer me an interview/placement then. The more the merrier in my opinion.

:D well I still have a few days to decide re Eversheds. Did you apply to Dillon Eustace or Holmes O' Malley Sexton. The latter firm will be reviewing applications in the new year.

• Advertisement

:D well I still have a few days to decide re Eversheds. Did you apply to Dillon Eustace or Holmes O' Malley Sexton. The latter firm will be reviewing applications in the new year.

I posted my application to Dillion Eustace last Friday, How do you apply to HOMS? They dont have any instructions on their site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement