Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LegalCity

colonel1 wrote: »
    Hi LegalCity,

First round interview offers are out from Arthur Cox. I got an email from them this afternoon about the group interviews. They will be held next week.

Cheers for the reply. Yeah I got the same. I was just curious did other firms emails get sent today. Just have to play it by ear. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 LegalCity

Hogzy wrote: »
    When did you have your application in for?

Hogzy,

Sent it by post the wednesday before the deadline. I did not receive a confirmation of receipt though. Best of luck with job search.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

LegalCity wrote: »
    Cheers for the reply. Yeah I got the same. I was just curious did other firms emails get sent today. Just have to play it by ear. Good luck :)

Thanks LegalCity, good luck to you too:D Have never done a group interview before....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

LegalCity wrote: »
    Hogzy,

Sent it by post the wednesday before the deadline. I did not receive a confirmation of receipt though. Best of luck with job search.

I got an email from <SNIP> on the Friday night of the deadline confirming receipt of my application and that they would write to me very soon. Maybe that means they will be contacting me via post and not email. I dont know. Fingers crossed anyway that I get an interview with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

My application had arrived by the deadline and I received an email confirming receipt.

Getting worried now that I didnt get an interview:(

Well I got my PFO email this morning off them. Surprised how quickly they moved considering deadline was only last Friday so Im assuming you should hear from them today as if they have managed to get to the PFO stage, they would have successful candidates picked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 perfectcircles

Has anyone heard back on any of the other firms yet? Haven't heard myself.

On a seperate note, starting to think about the next set of FE1's! Not looking forward to them! Does anyone know which prep course would be better, the Company course in City or in Independent? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ughfe1s

Has anyone heard back on any of the other firms yet? Haven't heard myself.

On a seperate note, starting to think about the next set of FE1's! Not looking forward to them! Does anyone know which prep course would be better, the Company course in City or in Independent? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I don't think we're able to comment on prep course providers as the last time I did it got deleted...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

to contribute to the info sharing: got email from a&l today and missed a call from dillon eustace

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

FE1 Results are out on the 23rd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

FE1 Results are out on the 23rd.

tumblr_m5u21x55G61r49oox.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

Or the repeats! :) Sorry. I probably should have resisted that.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

Sooooooo :o ..... Who else is taking the plunge for the first time this sitting? I just started Company & Tort in Griffith this week - Forgot how much is involved in Company so that's my biggest worry! Tort seems manageable though. Also doing EU & Criminal but am comfortable enough with those (famous last words).

KoukiKeith wrote: »
    Sooooooo :o ..... Who else is taking the plunge for the first time this sitting? I just started Company & Tort in Griffith this week - Forgot how much is involved in Company so that's my biggest worry! Tort seems manageable though. Also doing EU & Criminal but am comfortable enough with those (famous last words).

I did Company and Criminal last sitting. Your right in company, there is a lot to it. Courtney can be random in that you can bet no matter how well you know the course there will be one question he puts in that your not sure where it came from. I'd recommend getting your hands on the Companies Act I used it for three questions last time. And cover everything, I did and I could answer my 8 but things like examinership came up which has been asked only twice since 2005 if I can remember. He does have bankers like directors duties and borrowings.

Learn all criminal, he mixes alot for his questions and you can easily have 5 or 6 topics in one question. I will be (hopefully) doing EU and tort this time round but Im hoping to stay in denial about studying for another two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 hopefullegal

Are the results actually out on the 23rd?! Is it official?

Are the results actually out on the 23rd?! Is it official?

Yes, the email came from the Law Society last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 hopefullegal

I got no email. Guessing they've messed up the registration of my details in some way. Will they post the results?

sorchauna wrote: »
    I did Company and Criminal last sitting. Your right in company, there is a lot to it. Courtney can be random in that you can bet no matter how well you know the course there will be one question he puts in that your not sure where it came from. I'd recommend getting your hands on the Companies Act I used it for three questions last time. And cover everything, I did and I could answer my 8 but things like examinership came up which has been asked only twice since 2005 if I can remember. He does have bankers like directors duties and borrowings.

Learn all criminal, he mixes alot for his questions and you can easily have 5 or 6 topics in one question. I will be (hopefully) doing EU and tort this time round but Im hoping to stay in denial about studying for another two weeks!

Dreading it. Will certainly be buying the Acts but aren't they 250e new or something along those lines? Crazy!

Thanks for the advice though. No doubt I'll be trolling this thread for the foreseeable future :( On that note actually, if anyone has the exam grids for EU and/or Criminal it'd be greatly appreciated.

I got no email. Guessing they've messed up the registration of my details in some way. Will they post the results?

I did not get that email either but I had heard from friends that they got it. I just emailed the law society saying I did not get it and about two days later they (finally) sent me the email. The results will be posted but email tells you on to go online and check

Yes they said in the email that the results are posted also. You should contact them though to ensure they have your correct email address. It is handy being able to check the results online.

Dreading it. Will certainly be buying the Acts but aren't they 250e new or something along those lines? Crazy!

There are about €120 brand new but I would not have been able to answer it without it. Its grossly unfair as it is expensive (not to mention Courtney does have a copy of the at out so he knows what in it) but I'd rather pay in and pass and not have used it in exam than not have and need it. I did rely on it alot,it but I bought mine second hand off adverts and stuff for €75 including p&p and if I pass company I'll be selling and no doubt others will be to so keep an eye out as you will pick it up second hand.

• Advertisement

There are about €120 brand new but I would not have been able to answer it without it. Its grossly unfair as it is expensive (not to mention Courtney does have a copy of the at out so he knows what in it) but I'd rather pay in and pass and not have used it in exam than not have and need it. I did rely on it alot,it but I bought mine second hand off adverts and stuff for €75 including p&p and if I pass company I'll be selling and no doubt others will be to so keep an eye out as you will pick it up second hand.

Can I ask where you can get it for 120e ... Have been searching online all day and can only find Hodges Figgis & Lawbooks.ie?

Can I ask where you can get it for 120e ... Have been searching online all day and can only find Hodges Figgis & Lawbooks.ie?

Im from Cork and there is the book shop Liam Russells who supply the law books so I'd look them up. Thats where I saw it new for €120. Also in Cork there is John Smiths Bookshop in UCC, they sell in there to and sometimes can have second hand copies. Both order it in when you need it so may be worth giving them a ring and see their prices now and if they will post it out if your not in Cork. I dont think their websites show what they have but Id ring and check with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I didn't use the companies acts for my company Fe1 in March, and hearing how much they cost I definitely wouldn't have bought them if I failed.

Im from Cork and there is the book shop Liam Russells who supply the law books so I'd look them up. Thats where I saw it new for €120. Also in Cork there is John Smiths Bookshop in UCC, they sell in there to and sometimes can have second hand copies. Both order it in when you need it so may be worth giving them a ring and see their prices now and if they will post it out if your not in Cork. I dont think their websites show what they have but Id ring and check with them.

I rang a few places today ... There seems to be some confusion as to what I'm searching for :confused: Hodges Figgis reckon that there hasn't been one in print for a long time. Liam Russell wanted 160e. John Smiths were quite helpful and actually rang the OPW to clarify matters. They have a 1963-2009 in stock which is apparently current but shouldn't there be a more up-to-date version than 2009?

If not, they're quite cheap (by comparison) - 95e for anyone else searching.

I rang a few places today ... There seems to be some confusion as to what I'm searching for :confused: Hodges Figgis reckon that there hasn't been one in print for a long time. Liam Russell wanted 160e. John Smiths were quite helpful and actually rang the OPW to clarify matters. They have a 1963-2009 in stock which is apparently current but shouldn't there be a more up-to-date version than 2009?

If not, they're quite cheap (by comparison) - 95e for anyone else searching.

The newest version to date is the CA 1963- 2009. Thats the most recent one as it listed in the law society allowed legislation (of course you can have older versions). So thats the one you want to get and thats a amazing to go from €160 to €95! Some people have it in exams and never use it. I think it depends on the paper you get as there are about 5/6 topics that are heavily legislation based. I would not say that its the difference between pass and fail, but if you can afford to buy it, its worth the piece of mind in the exam if you were to need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

Has anyone been called for a Dillon Eustace interview. I have been - just wondering is it a group interview? Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ElleWoods

I rang to re-enroll with City Colleges to repeat Constitutional law. It was a nice surprise to hear that repeating is completely free of charge because I was enrolled with them last sitting. I previously paid 95 euro to repeat a subject with a different institution. Just wanted to let people know about this because I wasn't aware and it's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭evercloserunion

If you didn't get an email about results there's a good chance you won't be able to log in to view them on the day without ringing them up. I didn't get an email in my last sitting and on the day I couldn't log in as there had been a mistake setting up my account on their end. A quick ring sorted it out but it was fairly stressful for a while so maybe it wouldn't hurt to ring/email them in advance and let them know that you didn't get an email about results coming out.

It seems that the 2013 exam dates are up on the Law Society page.

There are:

March
    Tort Tuesday 12 March 2013
    Company Law Wednesday 13 March 2013
    Property Thursday 14 March 2013
    Constitutional Law Friday 15 March 2013
    Criminal Law Tuesday 19 March 2013
    EU Law Wednesday 20 March 2013
    Equity Thursday 21 March 2013

October
    Tort Tuesday 01 October 2013
    Company Law Wednesday 02 October 2013
    Property Thursday 03 October 2013
    Contract Friday 04 October 2013
    Criminal Law Monday 07 October 2013
    EU Law Tuesday 08 October 2013
    Equity Wednesday 09 October 2013
    Constitutional Law Thursday 10 October 2013

Contract Friday 22 March 2013

• Advertisement

It seems that the 2013 exam dates are up on the Law Society page.

There are:

March
    Tort Tuesday 12 March 2013
    Company Law Wednesday 13 March 2013
    Property Thursday 14 March 2013
    Constitutional Law Friday 15 March 2013
    Criminal Law Tuesday 19 March 2013
    EU Law Wednesday 20 March 2013
    Equity Thursday 21 March 2013
    Contract Friday 22 March 2013

October
    Tort Tuesday 01 October 2013