Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I believe/think i answered the casenotes on tobacco advertising and van gend

if anyone on here is looking at constitutional atm, could you have a look at march 2012 q3...mark and stephen, the partners who are looking after a child who gets rejected from school. i know its an primary education issue but just was wondering what others? i though equality though my review course teacher said that she wouldn't go down that road...any thoughts? cheers

Looking at a sample answer for it and they discuss the following:

Constitutional right to education.
    Constitutional right to equality.
    Proportionality.
    ECHR rights - article 8 (I'm assuming that's brownie points).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Northern Child

chops018 wrote: »
    Looking at a sample answer for it and they discuss the following:

Constitutional right to education.
    Constitutional right to equality.
    Proportionality.
    ECHR rights - article 8 (I'm assuming that's brownie points).

thanks for that chops...perhaps im overthinking these answers too much...the sample answers are good at times but at other times i am wary of them due to his repeated warnings on the preprepared answers, also i know that he has complained about the way in which students cite proportionality so if your putting that it you must get it right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

The Oct 2012 E.U. Sitting had a something Fried Chicken in the title. I have been doing my best to forget EU since passing it though

thanks for that chops...perhaps im overthinking these answers too much...the sample answers are good at times but at other times i am wary of them due to his repeated warnings on the preprepared answers, also i know that he has complained about the way in which students cite proportionality so if your putting that it you must get it right!

True, I don't think Const is a subject that you can rely too heavily on sample answers but it does give some direction I suppose. I have the reports here too but he doesn't go through the issues of each question so I think the sample answers are the best bet.

The Oct 2012 E.U. Sitting had a something Fried Chicken in the title. I have been doing my best to forget EU since passing it though

Was that not constitutional?

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

John Grace Fried Chicken is a case that could arise in EU or Constitutional. Judgment by Feeney of last year re. test for delegated legislation and Art. 15. Linked cases: Meagher, Maher and Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

How could that case arise in an EU context, I was just looking at it in terms of the Non-delegation doctrine in Constitutional

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

How could that case arise in an EU context, I was just looking at it in terms of the Non-delegation doctrine in Constitutional

+1

Direct Effect of Regulations and Directives is how. Secondary legislation with EU genesis signed into force via SI here.

European Communities Act 1972 as amended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Yes Greg was a reporter- the jist of the question is that he obtains an envelope in the post containing copies of plan by the military to overthrow the government. Then the ministers appoints an inquiry which is chaired by a HC judge and it will have the powers vested in the HC concerning the calling of witnesses. Then the terms of the law provides that Greg can be compelled to answer certain questions. So there is a case on point? How would you answer it by referring to what topics? Thanks ever so much for the help but this question stumped me!!

I wouldn't say it's a case on point exactly but it does concern reporters. It's Cornec v Morrice (http://www.courts.ie/__80256F2B00356A6B.nsf/0/C3E97A3431EAFEE580257A7E003EA900?Open) and the relevant parts about reporters are 35-53. It's from September of last year (I thought I had read it earlier in the year) so it might have been handed down after the paper was written. As I haven't read the full question I'm just wondering if maybe it refers to the administration of justice; Bord na gCon, the Goodman International case where (quoting Forde 2002) page 191 "the carrying out on enquiries under the Tribunals of Enquiry (Evidence) Acts 1921-2002 is not a judicial function even though the enquiry there was chaired by a senior High Court judge (President of the Court..." Again I'm probably wrong as its a good 2 years since I've really studied Constitutional law but that would be my take on the facts above. Hope it helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

chops018 wrote: »
    Anyone on here have last years handout :P Yeah I booked my place for this one, looking forward to it now, it sounds really beneficial.

Hi chops, aboutagirl posted the cases here last year (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77205678&postcount=7623). Hope it helps :)

Eyespy wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it's a case on point exactly but it does concern reporters. It's Cornec v Morrice (http://www.courts.ie/__80256F2B00356A6B.nsf/0/C3E97A3431EAFEE580257A7E003EA900?Open) and the relevant parts about reporters are 35-53. It's from September of last year (I thought I had read it earlier in the year) so it might have been handed down after the paper was written. As I haven't read the full question I'm just wondering if maybe it refers to the administration of justice; Bord na gCon, the Goodman International case where (quoting Forde 2002) page 191 "the carrying out on enquiries under the Tribunals of Enquiry (Evidence) Acts 1921-2002 is not a judicial function even though the enquiry there was chaired by a senior High Court judge (President of the Court..." Again I'm probably wrong as its a good 2 years since I've really studied Constitutional law but that would be my take on the facts above. Hope it helps :)

That case is about the Foreign Tribunals Evidence Act 1856, Freedom of Expression per Art 46.1.1 of the Constitution and Art 10 ECHR.

The Judgment is quite important and may arise again, particularly the Blogger recognition.

Hi chops, aboutagirl posted the cases here last year (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=77205678&postcount=7623). Hope it helps :)

Cheers.

thanks very much, read the above case and sections, very helpful! never even seen that issues, cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pbonner

Hi,

I'm looking for up to date exam grids in EU, Contract and Tort.

I have sample answers for the above, and up to date exam grids in company and constitutional if anyone wants to trade?

Hi all im new to boards , but it seems like a great forum with very helpful people all in the same boat , I have one fe1 left constitutional , and only two chances left to get it , so panicking slightly , does anyone have an up to date constitutional exam grid they could send me , I would be very grateful for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lbcoconut

Hi just wondering if anyone would have a relatively up to date exam grid for Constitutional? PM me if you are willing to swap for any of the others. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Could anyone volunteer some advice for my life please!

So didn''t get any offers this round. Finishing law degree in May. Possible trip to South America for 6 weeks in July.

Current plan is to improve grades in college, study all summer, sit 8 Fe1s in October. Apply again in October stating that I'm currently studying for 8 Fe1s, attend interviews being able to say that I passed all 8, accept offer and start in a firm in April.

Is this ridiculous? Obviously this is best case scenario. I did get some interviews so hopefully that element isn't too far-fetched. I have enough confidence in my intelligence to think that if I study enough I can get the exams (I do realise they're impossibly difficult). I'd also like to think that if I know my friends are in South America I'm gonna make damn sure that I study hard every day they're away because if I don't get all 8 I'll have missed the trip for nothing.

Am I insane?

Many thanks

No perfectly sane. Lots of folks do that. Enjoy South America.

8 FE1s in one sitting can be a challenge! No walk in the park, but lots do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Could anybody tell me what year the current examiner of Tort became the examiner?

• Advertisement

Ownleme wrote: »

Current plan is to improve grades in college, study all summer, sit 8 Fe1s in October. Apply again in October stating that I'm currently studying for 8 Fe1s, attend interviews being able to say that I passed all 8, accept offer and start in a firm in April.

Its not impossible but its very hard work. Everyone will say these are different to your law degree in that your not spoon fed the material and in a law degree you really just use the month off and get the whole course then in that space. This is not the case for these and require alot of man hours.

Also your not even finished the law degree. There is no rush. Students do have a traineeship lined up by final year but thats the rarity nowadays. If your applying to the big firms, its not necessary to have the fe's done at the time you apply.They seem more impressed with other aspects such as travelling and work experience than just the fe's. They advertise their positions so far in advance you have time to pass them. Maybe you could do two sittings of four and try get some legal part time work and sit in oct 13 and march 14. Most traineeships start in April but firms are willing to allow you start in May if you have just gone through the exams in March. Because your getting the interviews so its a matter of having something extra in your CV next time and maybe work experience and most the fe's will get you the job next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

sorchauna wrote: »
    Its not impossible but its very hard work. Everyone will say these are different to your law degree in that your not spoon fed the material and in a law degree you really just use the month off and get the whole course then in that space. This is not the case for these and require alot of man hours.

While I have to agree that last minute cramage is the staple diet of undergraduates I'm a bit confused by the spoon fed bit. Not that I disagree that some places (such as GCD where I am) spoon feed but surely most people pass FE1s out of the manuals which are the very definition of spoon feeding?

I'm not trying to have a go here I'm just wondering if I'm missing something about how the FE1s are studied for.

While I have to agree that last minute cramage is the staple diet of undergraduates I'm a bit confused by the spoon fed bit. Not that I disagree that some places (such as GCD where I am) spoon feed but surely most people pass FE1s out of the manuals which are the very definition of spoon feeding?

I'm not trying to have a go here I'm just wondering if I'm missing something about how the FE1s are studied for.

I rarely use the manuals to be honest, I will always have one though. An exam grid, a good set of notes, a book and manual to be used as other sources or for compiling your notes if you haven't got any, an extensive set of sample answers, an analysis of the examiners reports, and for brownie points know the LRC reports and other academic articles (I rarely do that).

You are right in the sense of the courses. But the person didnt say if they were doing a course or not so Im going on my experience of doing the exams without the course which I say alot of the people here do. I have only done one sitting of the fe's and passed my four and didnt do any of the courses. So maybe with the courses you have given everything you need and don't look at anything else but the lecture notes. For me the manual only gets you so far and most examiners like you to be current and up to date so I do tend to do alot than just the manual. All the course are aware of the fact manuals get sold on so there are not updated that often. So I think the days of having everything you need in one manual won't always be there unless you do the course.

I follow the way chops018 studies and the manual is my starting point. At the end I have a set of notes with add on from reports, sample answers, a good quality book and articles written by the examiner. And as he knows from me asking him constantly, the manual often confuses me than helps as they can be badly written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

You are right in the sense of the courses. But the person didnt say if they were doing a course or not so Im going on my experience of doing the exams without the course which I say alot of the people here do. I have only done one sitting of the fe's and passed my four and didnt do any of the courses. So maybe with the courses you have given everything you need and don't look at anything else but the lecture notes. For me the manual only gets you so far and most examiners like you to be current and up to date so I do tend to do alot than just the manual. All the course are aware of the fact manuals get sold on so there are not updated that often. So I think the days of having everything you need in one manual won't always be there unless you do the course.

Point taken on the up to date requirement.

Point taken on the up to date requirement.

And you can't blame them for doing that but since alot of people do these before they have a traineeship and the cost involve you'd want to know you can pass the exam when you book it!

I follow the way chops018 studies and the manual is my starting point. At the end I have a set of notes with add on from reports, sample answers, a good quality book and articles written by the examiner. And as he knows from me asking him constantly, the manual often confuses me than helps as they can be badly written.

Fully agree, sometimes the manuals can be poorly written. In saying that they are a good starting point, and some people often do just "learn off" the manuals and they are fine, for some subjects doing that is sufficient, once you add in any updates - land law, criminal law seem to be like that. But for the likes of Constitutional you really do need to be going further - looking at the legislation and the examiners reports. I am doing EU and Const this sitting and I haven't even looked at the manuals yet.. I am fortunate enough to have a solid set of notes and loads of sample answers and an up to date grid so I have been working my way through the topics via the grid.

Look it all depends on whatever suits yourself at the end of the day, myself and Sourchanua seem to have a similar enough study technique, some people might not agree with it but it seems to work for us and they are our experiences so hopefully it helps for someone just starting out.

Also your not even finished the law degree. There is no rush. Students do have a traineeship lined up by final year but thats the rarity nowadays. If your applying to the big firms, its not necessary to have the fe's done at the time you apply.They seem more impressed with other aspects such as travelling and work experience than just the fe's. They advertise their positions so far in advance you have time to pass them. Maybe you could do two sittings of four and try get some legal part time work and sit in oct 13 and march 14. Most traineeships start in April but firms are willing to allow you start in May if you have just gone through the exams in March. Because your getting the interviews so its a matter of having something extra in your CV next time and maybe work experience and most the fe's will get you the job next time.

Thanks for that. It's a relief to know that getting a Traineeship in Final Year is the exception rather than the norm. I did some work in firms already so I was thinking the degree and fe1s would be the new things on my CV. Very interesting that they let you start in May though cuz that's my main issue, having to wait a whole other year to start if I only do my second set in May.

Ownleme wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It's a relief to know that getting a Traineeship in Final Year is the exception rather than the norm. I did some work in firms already so I was thinking the degree and fe1s would be the new things on my CV. Very interesting that they let you start in May though cuz that's my main issue, having to wait a whole other year to start if I only do my second set in May.

Yeah nowadays its the exception, a few years back alright you would have it lined up. Its not a requirment to have worked in the office before PPC1 but if you do, you can have three months account towards the traineeship if you work it prior to PPC1. Most firms do allow you to start later because you still get the three months in so even if you sit all 8 and possible fail, you can still make the PPC1 of 2014.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Oh that's good news thanks. I just thought the only start date was April so that if you didn't have your results from March by then you had to wait till the following year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement