Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 manuals

hey.... I have independent manuals March 09 for criminal, equity, contract, tort and property....€50 each- Dublin area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 catriona86

mollydog wrote: »
    i have all four for sale.

brilliant. what year? mail me at c.brophy@live.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BK2

I have griffith manual company Law 08 and also company acts to bring into examination (completely unmarked), nutshell type company law book as well (bought febuary) - I'm in the cork city area - pm if interested €70.00 for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Amigone

Hey all,

I have criminal, property and equity manuals (and exam papers) for Oct '09 for sale. 50 each or all for €140!

Pm me if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 April 2008

Have EU Oct 08/mar 09 plus all notes from Griffth College inc Sample Answers.

Tort Oct 08 Griffith College.

Property Independent Summer 08.

Dublin Area, please email if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Legal Exec

Hey Guys,

It's not about how many FE 1's ya do- its the quality of notes taken at lectures, how much you comprehend then & afterwards together with your ability to condense the notes with all the main cases in 1 or 2 lines each.

Flash cards breach your ability to remember cases in context & continuity.

Typing them all out on 1 or 2 pages is the best way chapter by chapter.

If yer still in sh1t then do the Griffith 1 day seminar 3 weeks b4 the exam.

I still have some seminar manuals- very concise for €20 & some of the Griffith full term course manuals going, going- gone-for €50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Pink Britney

Guys just wondering is there any book at all that one can get for this course (like shop bought without doing a course)

Also how did you find the exams?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Heineken pants

Criminal Equity Const Company manuals for sale. Comp and crim manuals unused, perfect condition. Also have Property manual from Independent colleges. All with past exam paper booklets. 50 each or 200 for all 5 manuals. Pm me if intersted

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

The Lawsociety.ie website is a very useful source for all this information. You have to pass 3 out of the four exams in your first sitting otherwise you will be deemed to have failed all the exams you sat at that sitting. As far as I know from the day you start you can do the remaining exams at any sitting throughout the five years. Lots of luck with it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

Legal Exec wrote: »
    Flash cards breach your ability to remember cases in context & continuity.

I don't agree with this at all. Flash cards shouldn't be used entirely on their own of course but as a supplement to the rest of your study, I've found them invaluable in remembering the names of cases ... as well as remembering some of the more minor cases which may be useful for brownie points, or for those questions that are based on some obscure case that the examiner knows a lot of people won't be familiar with...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

Dandelion6 wrote: »
    I don't agree with this at all. Flash cards shouldn't be used entirely on their own of course but as a supplement to the rest of your study, I've found them invaluable in remembering the names of cases ... as well as remembering some of the more minor cases which may be useful for brownie points, or for those questions that are based on some obscure case that the examiner knows a lot of people won't be familiar with...

I agree with the first post falshcards are grand but you cant fit enough on them, each to their own but i found an A4 page with the cases in order all the way down the easiest way hence the 'continuity' mentioned is easier remembered as the total run of cases is there, which is vital as a prgression in the law is important to understand even if you dont get to 'put it all down' take note 'how much should I write? :rolleyes: brigade :)'

Flash cards break with the continuity of each legal area.

Yes you will remember more than if not using them- but no!

They're not as good as condensed down on A4 formated with their topic!

Isn't good to have concise and continuous relevance when studying? :o

They're not as good as condensed down on A4 formated with their topic!

Isn't good to have concise and continuous relevance when studying? :o

As I already said - they shouldn't be used on their own but as a supplement. Why are you making it out that it's an either/or decision?

They are very helpful, I state this from personal experience. I have used flash cards for every exam I have taken in my legal studies and my results speak for themselves - although I suppose you'll have to take my word for it on that ...

You miss the point- its just better to have it all on the one page instead of having cards and books to match together.

I found my memory works better when everything is organised on a list than a lot of different cards for this case and that topic....

Its good to keep things simple.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tevez101

Hey guys..I've been looking for a definititive answer everywhere but just couldn't get it..

How much of an advantage is it doing/having a law degree whilst attempting to persue a career as a solicitor?

I'm currently deciding whether ro do law or commerce..as i'm not 100% sure about being a solicitor..and would like more options...

Any advice would be great thanks.......

You miss the point- its just better to have it all on the one page instead of having cards and books to match together.

It's only "better" if it works. That wouldn't work for me. I'd forget which case went with with ruling. Flash cards embed that on your brain.

Maybe they don't work for you, but they definitely work for me.

Thanks LE hoping to get talking to someone that has done them these are the exams that allow you sit the Fe1s

Those gold old emboldend headings keep up the continuim.

Hey- if it works for you go ahead but I've used both and prefer keeping the cases on the same page as the topic headings stay in my memory with the case!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tevez101

Tevez101 wrote: »
    Hey guys..I've been looking for a definititive answer everywhere but just couldn't get it..

How much of an advantage is it doing/having a law degree whilst attempting to persue a career as a solicitor?

I'm currently deciding whether ro do law or commerce..as i'm not 100% sure about being a solicitor..and would like more options...

Any advice would be great thanks.......

please help.........I have untill 1st July to decide with CAO..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

why dont you get a mixture of both and do either:
    law and business in trinity or
    corporate law in galway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Business & Law (B&L) in UCD, couldn't recommend it enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭servicecharge

I did this years ago as a short cut to the FE-1s. It's relatively easy and I would equate most of it to the leaving cert. The general knowledge section is very easy, just know loads of public figures (eg the chief justice, various ministers etc), capital cities. Make sure you have been reading the Irish times in the lead up.

I think everyone passed easily enough.

Trev,

I reckon Ireland is really messed up for the next 5 years at least.

There are lay offs proceeding all over the legal profession but still some small growth in IT and Intellectual Property.

There is however much bigger growth in debt recovery and insolvency, these 2 areas could still be in play by the time you finish your degree but you will still only be a new kid on the block compared to experienced legal execs and solicitors who won't need trained up in that area.

Consider the long term economic outlook and work for free in a consequencial growth area of legal practice whilst qualifying, or don't bother as the profession is already oversubscribed. :confused:

Tevez101 wrote: »
    please help.........I have untill 1st July to decide with CAO..............

Its a debate as to whether or not your better of with a law degree, imo you are (it helps for the FE1 study) at the same time if you've done a few law subjects at college it gives you an idea for when it comes to the FE1s. Word on the street is that potential firms don't give a hoot what degree you have as long as you have the FE1s - everyones opinion here is different. If you are serious about Law a degree in it is no harm obviously.

For Galway:

Do Corp Law if you are interested in the Law but not 100% sure you can push towards business if you like instead. Its prob fair to say the Corp Law is a bit tougher than Commerce. you'll do 1 year of LLB at the end to finish and cover the subjects for FE1 (total 4 years)

Or commerce in Galway and then add the LLB for 2 years at the end (youll need to have taken law modules in Commerce where you'll be in the same class as the corp law lot) and you have nearly the same as Corp Law. (total 5 years)

Commerce would let you go towards HR, Marketing, Accountancy, teaching Business plus others aswell - some of these options are def open the same as for commerce for corp law people too.

Something to bear in mind is the corp law class is 80 maybe whilst the commerce is 300 not sure if that makes a difference to you but in corp law you will actually know all your class.

On B&L @ UCD apparently does not cover enough for the FE1s hence they all end up doing a prep course in Griffith, no disrespect to the course itself but id rather pay 1200 for a one year LLB at NUIG than edit ---2800--- to griffith. (you'll get no letters outta griffith!) you should actaully find out about that.

Talk to someone you know who did what you want to do its the best way to get advise and goodluck and ask the career advisor at school.

Arts at NUIG lets you do legal science + LLB at the end and is pretty much the same result aswell.

Its true what they are saying as regards hiring now lots of solicitors let go recently, but don't worry yourself with that stuff just go to college and do what you want to do, you'll find a job.

Thanks SC its nice to hear from someone that has actualy sat it and get through it! Going to get the past papers and see from there its very hard to know what im going to be dealing with until I see them. Is there any book that you would suggest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

hence they all end up doing a prep course in Griffith, no disrespect to the course itself but id rather pay 1200 for a one year LLB at NUIG that 1 grand to griffith. (you'll get no letters outta griffith) you should actaully find out about that.

The full cost of the prep course at Griffith is €2,800. That's for all 8 subjects though, most people do 4 at a time. I know this because I'm paying for it:mad:One of the lectures said at the start that non law background people aren't at any massive disadvantage, just that they have to work a bit harder at the beginning.

I think the law and business advice is good.

sunnyside wrote: »
    The full cost of the prep course at Griffith is €2,800. That's for all 8 subjects though, most people do 4 at a time. I know this because I'm paying for it:mad:One of the lectures said at the start that non law background people aren't at any massive disadvantage, just that they have to work a bit harder at the beginning.

I think the law and business advice is good.

Ok 2800! it is (i did independent colleges myself) im not talking about the cost really its more the fact that you dont need to do one if you do corp law + one year LLB, or the BComm + 2 yr LLB in Galway. Not sure on the B&L at UCD i think that you are missing Fe1 subjects after doing it.

My advice would be to do either Corporate Law in Galway or Business& Law in UCD both are very good courses and offer you the best of both the business and legal world. Personally I would steer clear of pure law degrees such as Civil law in Galway as you are seriously limiting your options for the future. One thing I would say about the Business & Legal course in UCD is that the potential to get into the big 5 Accountancy and Law firms is very good, these firms are hugely impressed by this course!

My advice would be to do either Corporate Law in Galway or Business& Law in UCD both are very good courses and offer you the best of both the business and legal world. Personally I would steer clear of pure law degrees such as Civil law in Galway as you are seriously limiting your options for the future. One thing I would say about the Business & Legal course in UCD is that the potential to get into the big 5 Accountancy and Law firms is very good, these firms are hugely impressed by this course!

Sorry but the big 5 accountancy firms are no more impressed by B&L than any other business course or accountancy course I did Commerce in Galway and all my friends that applied for a big 5 got it.

• Advertisement

Good for them, i was just giving my opinion on matters. I have heard of the recruiters at these interviews actually say that they are very impressed by that course because many of them had done it! That said in the last few years it has been easy enough to get into accountancy firms regardless of your business course choice!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement