Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Amre17 wrote: »
    Hi all.. Anyone planning on going to Eoin Carolans constitutional update lecture in UCD Thursday week?
    Yes, planning to go - just to keep in touch with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

I've also booked for this online, but I haven't heard anything back like location or seat number. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Yes, planning to go - just to keep in touch with it.

Well fair play to you JC..
    When I have this constitutional exam behind me I don't think ill be rushing back to these sort of lectures too soon!
    Might see you there..

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

spiralism wrote: »
    Going to sit the exams in march, starting study around now. How much could i realistically hope to pass and what would be a good amount to do? Im hearing varying opinions, some saying to do all of them but that would surely be too much to ask?

Also, i find myself out of work, are you considered a student when doing these exams or is it acceptable to claim welfare? I really could do without having to go to lengths to find more work while trying to study for the exams

Advice appreciated!

Ive noticed ppl who pass tend to be law graduates, those who aren't law graduates, do seem to take longer getting the exams, sounds like a generalisation but that is what I've experienced. Don't listen to the scare mongering, an awful lot of that goes on here. Some posters would make you believe that the examiner has a vandetta against us! If you do the work, you will pass, they are not easy, but very doable. You should be able to do 5. 8 is too much realistically. Ideally i'd go with 4 though.

Amre17 wrote: »
    Well fair play to you JC..
    When I have this constitutional exam behind me I don't think ill be rushing back to these sort of lectures too soon!
    Might see you there..

You will - ever heard of CPD ;-)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Could someone please post the oct 2012 tort law 8 question subjects. Just the topics. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Ownleme

Posting again with unashamed cries for help.

Pretty much decided to go for 4 in October. Gonna start studying after my finals and take 3 weeks off to go to Brazil.

Another thing it seems I need to do is get more law firm experience. If I did get an internship this summer would it be realistic to have time to do it and study for 4 in I guess 3 months?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    Could someone please post the oct 2012 tort law 8 question subjects. Just the topics. Thanks in advance

trespass to person
    animal liab
    def
    exempl and pun damages
    prof neg & neg mis statement
    nuisance
    limit periods
    v.l/ e.l and doc - maybe .. interesting to see what the examiner was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rickety cricket

For October 2012, Tort Q.8, would anyone be able to give a quick summary of what examiner reports said for it? if the association is voluntary are they still liable? thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭conmo

Once fe1s are obtained when will they expire? Is it 5 years?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

conmo wrote: »

5 years but you can apply for a 1 year extension of you need to. You have to explain why you need the extension though.

what reasons do they accept

what reasons do they accept

Your guess is as good as mine, im just repeating what was said at last weeks seminar.

conmo wrote: »

Five years from 31st December of the year you get your last one, so if you pass in a Spring sitting you effectively get five and a half years. There was a student at the seminar last week who got a TC with two months to go in her five years.
    As Hogzy said, they didn't elaborate on typical acceptable reasons, but perhaps significant further legal studies, force majeur family or health crises etc might be the type of thing that would be reasonable to submit.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ryan606

Could someone tell me the eight topics that came up in the Constitutional October '12 exam please?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 leitrimjoe90

ryan606 wrote: »
    Could someone tell me the eight topics that came up in the Constitutional October '12 exam please?

Right to refuse medial treatment/right to die/family rights

Oir. inquiry/justi. /fair procedures

Emergency powers/referendums/amending constitution

Findings of unconstitutionality

Essay on separation of powers

Essay quoting something from Norris (still don't know what it was about)

Case notes on John Grace Fried Chicken, Byrne, X,

equality/ Family/socio economic rights

Also for all those constitutional law experts out there, can anyone tell me, in the case of a right to die scenario, with parents etc present, how do you bring in a42.5 and the threshold for state intervention? Surely I thought 41 and 42 applied only to married families for the purposes of the constitution, so therefore, if it was a non-married family, is 42.5 applicable?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭conmo

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Five years from 31st December of the year you get your last one, so if you pass in a Spring sitting you effectively get five and a half years. There was a student at the seminar last week who got a TC with two months to go in her five years.
    As Hogzy said, they didn't elaborate on typical acceptable reasons, but perhaps significant further legal studies, force majeur family or health crises etc might be the type of thing that would be reasonable to submit.

Thanks a mil, thought it was 2 years. Plan is do the fe1s then travel for a year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Just having a look here at an FE-1 Equity paper thinking; grand so pretty much the same as my undergrad exams (I'm sure the standard of answer will need to be better but the questions are straight forward enough). However I've just noticed you are to answer five questions in the three hours. :eek:

I normally do about six pages on a ILAC question probably about the same on an essay, maybe more. Is that about right for FE-1s?

(Sorry piece of string, I know)

As an examiner whats Carolan like? Would he tends to re-ask topics the following paper cos I would have predicted them for this paper as all quite topical areas, and not a whole lot of change since then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Just having a look here at an FE-1 Equity paper thinking; grand so pretty much the same as my undergrad exams (I'm sure the standard of answer will need to be better but the questions are straight forward enough). However I've just noticed you are to answer five questions in the three hours. :eek:

I normally do about six pages on a ILAC question probably about the same on an essay, maybe more. Is that about right for FE-1s?

I usually get about 4-5 pages for each question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

chops018 wrote: »
    I usually get about 4-5 pages for each question.

Agree with this, it's much more important to be concise and on point in answering and identifying issues rather than padding out or waffling.

IMO 6 pages per answer for an FE1 means that you either write large or you are waffling. In the FE1's you have to hit the nail on the head with EVERY question. In undergrad papers you can fire off a load of crap hoping that something will be correct and pass. If you do that in the FE1's you will fail. Its almost like negative marking in a sense. My answers were never longer than 3-4 pages (I have all 8 FE1s passed) and contained little to no waffle. There is just too many "nails" to hit on the head, if you go off topic its VERY VERY hard to recover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Many Thanks! As regards to cases - minimum needed to nail the issue and make your point (e.g. a single issue in a question)? Do you need to do a brief synopsis of the case or just whats relevant? (e.g. a principle without the facts)

Many Thanks! As regards to cases - minimum needed to nail the issue and make your point (e.g. a single issue in a question)? Do you need to do a brief synopsis of the case or just whats relevant? (e.g. a principle without the facts)

It all depends on the question. I usually go for one case per legal point. Two if I can but again it depends on the point being made. You might have to contrast 2 or 3 different approaches the court may take so you'll have to discuss each option open to the court and reference cases as such.

And yes you do need to state the ratio of the case. Thats the whole point of referencing the case. I would highly recommend you get your hands on some sample answers. You really come accross as though you are used to doing undergrad questions. You will defo need guidance on how to answer an FE1 question.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Caoileann

Have just started studying EU. I usually make notes from the manuals for these exams and learn from those but it seems like I'm just transcribing the entire manual with this subject! How do people study for EU? I don't know how I got through it in college because I don't remember anything. Finding it really hard to study compared to other subjects. Interested to hear how others approach this subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Caoileann wrote: »
    Have just started studying EU. I usually make notes from the manuals for these exams and learn from those but it seems like I'm just transcribing the entire manual with this subject! How do people study for EU? I don't know how I got through it in college because I don't remember anything. Finding it really hard to study compared to other subjects. Interested to hear how others approach this subject.

I do the same as you but what I do know is you end up with alot of caselaw and stuff even if you know you'll never have time to write down so look at examiners report. If he mentions a case on the question then remember that case and maybe let go of cases that are similar. Thats how I cut down

I do about 6 pages per question but I am a fast writer and time as never been a problem so thats a help. However when you read a question the main things come into your head straight away, the main cases or legislation or if there is a conflict in the law. Thats what you need to get down and than gets you your pass or if you ran on of time you would have peace of mind knowing your ok. I give myself 35 mins a question, if at 35 mins I'm not done, I leave it can come back if I have time. You may gain more marks doing another question that having that time spent on a conclusion. Not many people pass on only doing 4 questions. Then I'd go back when I have time and add in my conclusion or throw in an article I may remember. As always its not about quanity but quality. Reports always say students didnt really answer the question, just did a write what they know. I did my first sitting last time and past my four so thats what I'll be doing this time.

As an examiner whats Carolan like? Would he tends to re-ask topics the following paper cos I would have predicted them for this paper as all quite topical areas, and not a whole lot of change since then

I think alot of stuff has changed from this sitting since Oct so its not the same as in contract where nothing new is added often! We have had the childrens rights referendum, the cases on right to life, life of the unborn, issue of judges and criminal charges and cases against the State over funding of campaigns in the referendum!!!

Constitutional is a massive topic so of course only so much he can ask but Carolan is a mixer. He can have 3 or 4issues (or chapters) in one question so this is one paper you can't really predict or leave out stuff at your own peril.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 -splatto-

When are the papers written?I was under the impression that they are written months in advance so it is unlikely that any questions involving the recent Constitutional changes will be included?Anyone able to let us know what the lecturers in the likes of Independent and City Colleges are saying about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

For October 2012, Tort Q.8, would anyone be able to give a quick summary of what examiner reports said for it? if the association is voluntary are they still liable? thanks.

The Law Society has only just released the examiner reports form the last sitting. You can buy them online or else a grind school might make them available soon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement