Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Caoileann wrote: »
    It's the Mont Clare hotel right? I didn't get any confirmation of venue so just looked it up online. I'm sure there will be a few suits there as there will be both professionals as well as students but I imagine anyone not going straight from work will be dressing casually. l certainly will! :)

Cool. Casual it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭ElmoLaw

chops018 wrote: »
    Anyone going to this, what should we bring and is it casual wear?

Just saw it's in Merrion Square. Is that hotel hard to find? I'll probably come in by Baggot St and park somewhere around there and walk up, according to google maps the distance isn't far.

can someone tell me when this is on???? Looked it up online and cant find anything!!!

ElmoLaw wrote: »
    can someone tell me when this is on???? Looked it up online and cant find anything!!!

Mont Clare Hotel, Merrion Sq.

Is it usually on in UCD or do they usually have it on in another venue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

31st Jan (Tomorrow)

http://www.ucd.ie/law/professionaldevelopment/cpdprogrammes/constitutionallawanupdate/#d.en.157901

• Registered Users Posts: 35 crosshair12

chops018 wrote: »

Mont Clare Hotel, Merrion Sq.

Is it usually on in UCD or do they usually have it on in another venue?

It was in Buswells Hotel last year...

• Advertisement

Thanks- i'll prob go so!! I emailed the organiser. Yahooo- insider tips here we go

This is prob a stupid question but I first sat and passed 3 of my FE1’s in the March/April 2009 sitting and have been sitting the remainder in subsequent sittings as working full time. I know that there is a 5 year time limit to pass the exams. What would then be the last sitting I can sit? I only have constitution left but dont think i can stand to sit it this March! I've emailed law society to confirm but am impatient for a response. I would think it would be March/April 2014 sitting but just want to check. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

sorchauna wrote: »
    Does anybody know if the red cow is confirmed as the hotel this sitting?

Does anyone know about this? :confused:

KoukiKeith wrote: »
    yes red cow- not confirmed but they would definately let us know if there was a change of venue

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

KoukiKeith wrote: »

Yes I emailed them during the week its confirmed. Also red cow have like a room sale on this month so rooms are €69 instead €80 per night. i think tomorrow is the last day for it so if your booking rooms worth doing it by tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

This is prob a stupid question but I first sat and passed 3 of my FE1’s in the March/April 2009 sitting and have been sitting the remainder in subsequent sittings as working full time. I know that there is a 5 year time limit to pass the exams. What would then be the last sitting I can sit? I only have constitution left but dont think i can stand to sit it this March! I've emailed law society to confirm but am impatient for a response. I would think it would be March/April 2014 sitting but just want to check. Thanks in advance

March 2014! is 5 yrs
    Oct 2012 is within 5 yrs

Check it out and get it in writing

Fe1exams wrote: »
    March 2014! is 5 yrs
    Oct 2012 is within 5 yrs

Check it out and get it in writing

Oct 2012 is within 5 yrs- im not sure what you mean??

Who's here then? Don't worry I won't introduce myself - not after the posts I make here!

What did the people who went to the Const seminar today think?

I thought it was good overall. I loved Brian Foley's talk.

Unfortunately I had to leave just as the Children's Rights speaker was to come on at 5.20 as stupid parking in Dublin would only let me pay for 3 hours max.

Did I miss much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

No, I thought he went well over time with no handout so it was difficult to follow.
    Final speaker was short more procedural than Fe1 academic.

Overall emjoyable and interesting.:)
    Lot of good cases thrown in to the notes.

Excellent beginning middle and end with three of the speakers.

Brian Foley - On form
    Eoin Carolan - 10 cases in 20 minutes! The way case law should be done. I like the way he walked back some of Brian's comments.
    Garrett Simons - was a breath of fresh air, especially given the subject matter! Finished on a high note.

The guy sans handout was a bit tough to follow for my tiny mind at that point. I think I came away with about 15 pages of notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

I thought todays talk was interesting enough too. Must admit my concentration weaned a bit towards the end though.

What did people make of Eoin Car anyway?
    Pick up on any hints....

Wonder were those cases decided when the paper was set?
    Suppose nobody has any idea when he sets the Constitutional Paper...??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

[QUOTE=Procrastastudy;82989823...
    The guy sans handout was a bit tough to follow for my tiny mind at that point. I think I came away with about 15 pages of notes.[/QUOTE]

Monsieur 'sans handout' was Geoffrey Shannon, top-drawer family law solicitor. I thought it was quite a performance to deliver such a complex paper without a note or anything to help him stay on-course. Did he not say that if you email the organisers he'd send out his script?
    Garret Simons is always a very amusing lecturer, I've heard him previously at planning & environment seminars in the Bar Council, he is incredibly articulate.
    Apart from the ten cases on his paper, EC had a fair bit to say about Crotty that would be worth noting, it's a classic case that comes up in the case notes again and again.
    It'll be interesting to see how many of the ten cases appear in the Spring and Autumn FE1 papers this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

I didn't hear GS say his script was available. Must ask the organisers so. EC did say a typo free version of his top 10 cases would be available.

I was wondering did you catch what EC said about the Devins case and the Grealis case? His case notes were great but he spoke so rapidly that I missed what he said about Crotty alas!!

Agreed that Simmons the final speaker was amazingly articulate:-)

Agreed, I would have liked a handout from BF, other than the MD case note (though that was useful). He was pretty scathing about the SC etc treatment of equality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

colonel1 wrote: »
    I didn't hear GS say his script was available. Must ask the organisers so. EC did say a typo free version of his top 10 cases would be available.

I was wondering did you catch what EC said about the Devins case and the Grealis case? His case notes were great but he spoke so rapidly that I missed what he said about Crotty alas!!

Agreed that Simmons the final speaker was amazingly articulate:-)

My recollection of the sense of what he siad is that he said Crotty established that a referendum is required whenever the Gov't proposes to enter an international agreement that impinges on sovereignty - the people must assent, basically, and that ever since Crotty referenda have been held to ratify treaties and so on.

I'm too hazy on Devins and Grealis to post an opinion here ;-)

JCJCJC wrote: »
    My recollection of the sense of what he siad is that he said Crotty established that a referendum is required whenever the Gov't proposes to enter an international agreement that impinges on sovereignty - the people must assent, basically, and that ever since Crotty referenda have been held to ratify treaties and so on.

I think you're referring to Pringle. That was fascinating in my opinion. The thrust of it was Pringle had with a 6 to 1 majority 'developed' Crotty along line similar to Cityview. The transfer of sovereignty has to be one that 'alienates, abdicates or transfers' a power. The up shot being that it may not be compulsory to hold referendums every time we sign a treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Thought it was very good. Don't know why but I always thought of Carolan as being much older. Slipped him my exam number and a fifty* anyway so hopefully he does the business with my paper this time round.

* may not be entirely true

Lol, indeed one can have this image of male FE1 examiners as being elderly and wise like Gandalf:-)

I think you're referring to Pringle. That was fascinating in my opinion. The thrust of it was Pringle had with a 6 to 1 majority 'developed' Crotty along line similar to Cityview. The transfer of sovereignty has to be one that 'alienates, abdicates or transfers' a power. The up shot being that it may not be compulsory to hold referendums every time we sign a treaty.

Wow I was definitely entering into snoozy land at that stage. I did hear the word Pringle and may have started to think of crisps;) You take fantastic notes Procrastastudy:D

Will have to read Pringle now to see what it says about referendums. Pity EC didn't have speaking notes or similar to hand out. I could hardly approach him afterwards and ask him to repeat his lecture verbatim very very slowly so diddums here could take notes ha ha!!

JCJCJC wrote: »

Thanks JCJCJC:D I had a very quick look on courts.ie to see the Devins case and to get the correct spelling of Grealis natch!! Will print off case later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Hey, was there any Art. 38.1 due process Q in october constitutional paper? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    Hey, was there any Art. 38.1 due process Q in october constitutional paper? Thanks

Nope.

Has anyone got Carolan's exam report for the October sitting? Willing to exchange notes/grids etc if you want to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    No there wasnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭conmo

Thinking of doing a masters in october and 4 fe1s in october the other 4 the following october. Anyone any pointers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement