Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭conmo

My post above is a few cases.
    mackerf wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there has been a quite recent case on undue influence and third parties in relation to the bank's notice in transactions involving husbands and wives?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mackerf

Brill, thanks. Did UI come up in October? My grid is only up to March 2012!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

Can anyone please tell me what the Competition Q's were from March & October of last year's EU papers? Just a rough outline would be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ElleWoods

"A candidate sitting the Examination for the first time who is entitled to exemptions from five or more of the examinations must sit all the remaining examinations together at one sitting of the Examination.

Such a candidate who is sitting three examinations must achieve a pass mark in at least two of the examinations in order to be deemed to have passed those examinations."

Does this mean if I only pass one of my final three I fail them all?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ElleWoods wrote: »
    "A candidate sitting the Examination for the first time who is entitled to exemptions from five or more of the examinations must sit all the remaining examinations together at one sitting of the Examination.

Such a candidate who is sitting three examinations must achieve a pass mark in at least two of the examinations in order to be deemed to have passed those examinations."

Does this mean if I only pass one of my final three I fail them all?

Have you received exemptions from other subjects?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 ElleWoods

Hogzy wrote: »
    Have you received exemptions from other subjects?

Yes, I've passed 5 exams so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

nah thinks it's exempt without having sat any. Like transferred from a foreign country, you've sat before to pass 5 not your first time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

ElleWoods wrote: »
    Yes, I've passed 5 exams so far.

As long as you have sat your first4 and passed 3 of them then you can sit each exam on its own and pass/fail them to your hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rickety cricket

it says 'a candidate sitting exams for first time' which means never having sat them before. as the others have said above it does not apply to someone who has sat the exams and passed. otherwise it would be ridiculously unfair on the people who hadn't passed their final set of exams in sets of 4 or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

"Interpretation is the blood that flows through the veins of a lawyer"

Quote from a lecture given by Mr. Tom Donoghue, Law Agent to Galway County Council....worth remembering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Hi, did anyone get a hold of Geoffrey Shannon's typed handout from the Constitutional lecture in the Mont Claire? He didn't have one on the day but I think he mentioned it would be available on request. It was on Children's rights.

I've emailed UCD but they could take days to get back to me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mackerf wrote: »
    Brill, thanks. Did UI come up in October? My grid is only up to March 2012!
    Off the top of my head, yes. It's a total banker for equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 leitrimjoe90

boomtown84 wrote: »
    Hi, did anyone get a hold of Geoffrey Shannon's typed handout from the Constitutional lecture in the Mont Claire? He didn't have one on the day but I think he mentioned it would be available on request. It was on Children's rights.

I've emailed UCD but they could take days to get back to me.

I have emailed UCD as well...I looked for his email online but couldn't see it.

Does anyone have a notion what the question q5 of the last paper is asking when he asks that "the individual personality of the citizen has been the driving force to the court's approach to fundamental rights protection since the 1960s."

Is this an essay on the development of the fundamental rights, and if so, how do you say if the "individual personality of the citizen" is the driving force?? I look at Henchy in Norris which is where its from but I still don't have much of a clue! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

Hey! Does anyone know the topics that came up in Equity last round? My grid only goes up to March 12 :(
    Also, does anyone know what is tipped for Equity? Would be extremely grateful if anyone would be willing to share!

I have emailed UCD as well...I looked for his email online but couldn't see it.

Got a reply. They are still waiting on the typed handout and they'll send it on when they get it. I'd say it's a lost cause at this stage tbh. Took very few notes from his lecture!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Get Carter

Hello I currently studying for four of the exams. Iv been having a look on here for any tips or helpful posts as Im not in touch with anyone else sitting them. Iv noticed a good few posts about 'grids'. I take it these are a layout of the topics that have come up over the last few years. I understood the exams were set with the intention of avoiding trends in question topics and if that is the case whats the point in looking at how regularly certain topics have come up?. Im trying to figure out if I need to get my hands on some of these grids. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

Get Carter wrote: »
    Hello I currently studying for four of the exams. Iv been having a look on here for any tips or helpful posts as Im not in touch with anyone else sitting them. Iv noticed a good few posts about 'grids'. I take it these are a layout of the topics that have come up over the last few years. I understood the exams were set with the intention of avoiding trends in question topics and if that is the case whats the point in looking at how regularly certain topics have come up?. Im trying to figure out if I need to get my hands on some of these grids. Thanks

The offical line is that there is no pattern for what will come up, but depending on the subject, there are topics that will almost always come up (and topics that never come up) - property for example. I'd say they are def worth getting and are extremely useful for helping to focus your study. What subjects you are doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShamblesB

Hi, I've just heard of these grids too, does anybody know where I could get them? And (this question may sound stupid) but roughly how many A4 pages should an answer be? This is my first time to sit the FE1's and 5 questions is a lot in 3 hours! I'm worrying about running out of time! And how do you cite the cases? In my undergrad I just wrote the name of the case, no year or reference, so I'm hoping that that's the same here, its difficult to remember the names without anything else! I'd really appreciate any advice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

ShamblesB wrote: »
    Hi, I've just heard of these grids too, does anybody know where I could get them? And (this question may sound stupid) but roughly how many A4 pages should an answer be? This is my first time to sit the FE1's and 5 questions is a lot in 3 hours! I'm worrying about running out of time! And how do you cite the cases? In my undergrad I just wrote the name of the case, no year or reference, so I'm hoping that that's the same here, its difficult to remember the names without anything else! I'd really appreciate any advice! :)

I'd always be happy with 4 or 5 page answers. It depends on how big your writing is though, 3 pages could be enough. Remember, you don't want to start waffling, it's not like college exams where you can go on about the facts and wing it a bit, get straight to the point and move on.

The case name is sufficient. No need for citations etc, and most examiners aren't even pushed about the year.

Example: Heaney .v. Ireland and Touhy .v. Courtney both had contrasting tests of proportionality, and so on....

As for the grids, they are usually given out at the professional courses, along with sample answers. Many people on here trade materials with each other including papers, grids, answers and notes.

ShamblesB wrote: »

Yeah as long as the case is clearly identifiable you'll get the marks for it. Even if you forget the case name but remember the facts you'll prob be given the benefit of the doubt.

Depending on how big your writing is you should be aiming for anywhere between 3-5 pages of the answer booklets. Short concise answers having your client in mind at all times is what they're looking for. You'll get no marks for rambling on about certain areas of the law. Answer the question asked and no more.

Can't help you with the grids, i don't have the most up to date ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Hey! Does anyone know the topics that came up in Equity last round? My grid only goes up to March 12 :(
    Also, does anyone know what is tipped for Equity? Would be extremely grateful if anyone would be willing to share!

Q1 - UI (Problem)
    Q2 - Charitable Trusts (Essay in relation to public benefit)
    Q3 - (1) Strong -v- Bird (2) Principles governing distribution of surplus funds on dissolution of an unincorporated association (3) Rebutting the Presumption of Advancement
    Q4 - Estoppel (Problem)
    Q5 - Trustees Duties (Regarding Investment) (Essay)
    Q6 - Quia Timet Injunctions (Problem)
    Q7 - Certainty of Intention (8 Marks), Certainty of Objects (12 Marks) (Essay)
    Q8 - Half Secret Trust

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

What is everybody covering for constitutional and EU? is it just me or does the last paper seem more suited to this sitting, considering in October Re Fleming decision had not been handed down, nor had the referendum decisions at that point, and he would have wrote the paper at the beginning of the year anyway?

sorry was talking purely about constitutional there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

What is everybody covering for constitutional and EU? is it just me or does the last paper seem more suited to this sitting, considering in October Re Fleming decision had not been handed down, nor had the referendum decisions at that point, and he would have wrote the paper at the beginning of the year anyway?

Trying my best to cover it all. I'm sure there will be one, two or even three I won't go back over in the days before the exam but I'm not sure yet what they will be, might only be parts of topics I leave out.

Seems like the papers are always fairly horrible to be honest. Haven't seen any recent one's I would have liked.

Wouldn't mind seeing what other people are concentrating on for Constitutional too actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Is anyone else's candidate number a lot lower than before? I have gone from high 70s down to 30s. This would indicate that there are 50% less people sitting Fe-1s this sitting from November! Competition shall be tough, don't help anyone sitting the same exam as you, mind games the morning of the exam are essential.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Anyone else at the ECHR seminar tonight? I'll post a synopsis when I'm less drunk :D

Yea im near end of alphabet and mine is 199 less than it was in 2011. Hopefully it means less competition!

chops018 wrote: »
    Trying my best to cover it all. I'm sure there will be one, two or even three I won't go back over in the days before the exam but I'm not sure yet what they will be, might only be parts of topics I leave out.

Seems like the papers are always fairly horrible to be honest. Haven't seen any recent one's I would have liked.

Wouldn't mind seeing what other people are concentrating on for Constitutional too actually.

It's very difficult to know. I'm doing my best to cover everything too. It's as if he writes the papers very close to the exam as they are very topical. I'm def going to look at interesting cases from late 2012 early 2013.
    I'm still just reading...haven't learned a thing off yet. Time to get cracking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Competition shall be tough, don't help anyone sitting the same exam as you,

Why are you here then? I could not disagree more with your view and several very unlawyer-like words come to mind. This is a threshold exam, not a competitive one. Once you pass, that's it. There is absolutely no need for mean-spiritedness amongst candidates, there is no rivalry. You are aspiring to become a member of a profession that functions on collegiality. Start practising it, I suggest.
    This FE1 thread is a legend on boards.ie for having more than 10,000 posts. Most of those posts related to people asking for or giving help. Long may it continue to be so, it may be the only bit of interaction a person studying on their own can have with colleagues in the same position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Why are you here then? I could not disagree more with your view and several very unlawyer-like words come to mind. This is a threshold exam, not a competitive one. Once you pass, that's it. There is absolutely no need for mean-spiritedness amongst candidates, there is no rivalry. You are aspiring to become a member of a profession that functions on collegiality. Start practising it, I suggest.
    This FE1 thread is a legend on boards.ie for having more than 10,000 posts. Most of those posts related to people asking for or giving help. Long may it continue to be so, it may be the only bit of interaction a person studying on their own can have with colleagues in the same position.

haha I was only joking and mock-speculating as to the reason for my significantly lower candidate number this sitting. Keep your friends close, and enemies closer is what I am assuming is the way to succeed as a solicitor, i.e. don't ignore a person you don't get on with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement