Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Props1

Does anyone have a copy of Property report for the October 2012 exam? I have reports for EU, Constitutional, Company and Tort to swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

Constitutional

Folks...problems with constitutional and help is lacking...

Q1 October 2011 is a question about part-time lawnmower salesman who has a home business selling from his home...the local authority stops him from putting signs up by a local by-law which prohibits all form of advertising on private property and seeks the removal of the sign at once. you have to advise him as to how to resist the councils application?

What are the issues here? I know livelihood but what else? Does the presumption apply also to a local by-law of the council? Surely its not a free speech issue with those signs for the business? Cheers in advance.

You sound like a lonely voice out there joe so I had to reply! Without looking back at that question in full, I would think that the right to communicate is relevant (paperlink). That case didn't place the right to communicate within freedom of expression but later cases did (Irish times V Ire did, I think). On the point of adverts, Murphy v IRTC comes to mind.

Re. your query on the fundamental rights question from October: My take would be that you would analyse the jurisprudence on the fundamental rights with a focus on how, in adjudicating on the scope of the rights, they have had regard for the individual citizen versus the regard they have had for the general, public interest. For eg. right to equality: you may argue that society as whole, rather than the individual personality of the citizen, has been a driving force. The 'social function' has been used to justify incursions into the right, as stipulated in the Article. Just my 2cents

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

Has anyone got a link to, or can they send me on the City Colleges night before exam notes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Fe1exams wrote: »
    Has anyone got a link to, or can they send me on the City Colleges night before exam notes..

easy Google search:

http://www.citycolleges.ie/wp/uncategorized/fe1-night-before-notes/

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Fe1exams

That doesnt have tort
    thanks anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Fe1exams wrote: »
    http://www.citycolleges.ie/wp/wp-content/uploads/FE1-EU.pdf
    This works - but that doesnt have tort!
    your link doesnt work jc ...anyone got tort>>??

There has not been a tort one up there before, at least there wasnt in the last sitting anyway so don't think City prepared a tort one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 footlose

Does anybody have a recent constitutional grid? Would really be grateful! Or even sample answers!?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sally01

Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the Constitution in the Dublin area? The one I have is a few years old now and doesn't have the most recent amendments in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 footlose

sally01 wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could get a copy of the Constitution in the Dublin area? The one I have is a few years old now and doesn't have the most recent amendments in it.

Hoggis Figgis on Dawson street. €2.50 for a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sally01

footlose wrote: »

Hoggis Figgis on Dawson street. €2.50 for a copy.

thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 thatdepends

Would anyone be able to tell me what came up on the company law exam march 2012?? Specifically if ultra vires came up and what the question was?

Many thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Happychicky7

EU/Constitutional

Anyone know of any good revision books for these and where to get them?
    Going for my last four but only just about hitting the 1/2 way mark on these two. There is so much there, working off Griffith manuals (2009)...been working part-time the last few weeks and doing self study, think I left myself too short on time though. Kicking myself! Maybe its time to throw in the towel and just aim to pass my other two. So depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

I'd go for it, you never know what Q's will come up, just focus on the main areas and the topics likely to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Happychicky7

True, I guess its worth a shot. Think the tiredness is setting in, my head jUSt feels overloaded, very unnerving. But like you say... I think your name is more suited to me right now frustratedTC!

Try get your hands on night before notes and sample Qs to keep your study focused. I think a lot of the manuals can contain quite irrelevant cases, and the constitutional examiner seems to hate the manuals, saying we cite cases completely unrelated to the issue he's asking! Although from his exam reports he sounds like a hard man to please!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 odonohs2

EU Law, October 2010, Q7(iii) – Expulsion of an EU citizen

Does being homeless and unable to support oneself fall under acceptable grounds for deportation under Art. 27 of Directive 2004/38 on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely within the territory of the Member States?

I can't find any relevant case law in the Independent Colleges manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 !LB21

Hiya All,

Can anyone please tell me the popular topics that come up under:

Company Law
    Contract Law
    Property Law
    Criminal Law

I just dont have the past exam papers so i cant make a judgement on my own, but really would appreciate your help on this one.

Thanks a million,
    L

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TMJK

Just a side question - is the DBS Advanced Diploma in Legal Studies any use for preparing for the FE1s, as I have no primary legal degree? (Just because I know of the part time courses at Griffith, City and Independent but I've seen this DBS course and haven't heard anything about it, e.g. if it's suitable in preparing for FE1s)
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShamblesB

KoukiKeith wrote: »
    Student ed is pink alright. Strange one. I rang the usual book shops before I bought & all said that there was no student ed of new version nor were there plans to release one in the near future.

I'd email the Law Soc.

Ok it was the 1963-2009 one i had after all, sorry about all that confusion! I got mixed up with EU!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 chazbanger

Tort Oct 2012 Q5 is a question on Negligent Misstatement. But could someone tell me is there any other topics in the question? I think it could touch on Professional Negligence aswell?

In him exam report he said "the question allowed candidates a broad framework within which to operate and demonstrate their understanding of tort law", so it seems like he is suggesting there is more than one topic?

Does anyone have any idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

TMJK wrote: »
    Just a side question - is the DBS Advanced Diploma in Legal Studies any use for preparing for the FE1s, as I have no primary legal degree? (Just because I know of the part time courses at Griffith, City and Independent but I've seen this DBS course and haven't heard anything about it, e.g. if it's suitable in preparing for FE1s)
    Thanks!

I've no connection with DBS etc, but their website says, in respect of that course:

The course will provide an introduction to the core aspects of Irish law and the legal system, as recognised by the legal profession. It is intended to provide an understanding of Constitutional Law Principles, Contract, Tort, Criminal and Company Law issues and the law as it relates to property in Ireland. Students will study the law from a practical perspective and classes will be based on theory combined with problem solving situations. Students may also wish to study a further two modules in order to be awarded the Advanced Diploma in Legal Studies. These eight modules are the areas in which students study in preparation for taking the Law Society Final Examination Part 1 (FE1) and so provide an excellent grounding for students coming from non legal backgrounds.

Based on that, it should be ok. You could ask them how their past pupils have fared to date in the FE1s. Lots of people successfully pass the FE1s without a primary degree in law, so by all means have a go. In fact, the way some law degree courses are taught and examined leaves you quite poorly prepared for FE1s, I can personally vouch for that.

My brain has crashed! Does anyone out there have a solution for remembering hundreds of case names quickly!!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

ShamblesB wrote: »
    My brain has crashed! Does anyone out there have a solution for remembering hundreds of case names quickly!!! :confused:

Mnemonics.

boomtown84 wrote: »
    Mnemonics.

Good idea, i'll see how this works! :)

Hi,
    Cannot find much but the facts on Re Bovale Developments, so wondering if anyone could tell me what the court held in relation to whether findings of the Flood Tribunal could be used in the trial to disqualify the company directors?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

Hi,
    Cannot find much but the facts on Re Bovale Developments, so wondering if anyone could tell me what the court held in relation to whether findings of the Flood Tribunal could be used in the trial to disqualify the company directors?

http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/09859e7a3f34669680256ef3004a27de/7a52bee7eb8b3785802578cd0044d922?OpenDocument

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Has anybody tried the Independent or City One Day courses and if so what are they like.....??

Thinking of maybe trying them next week if it's not too late to apply.. Do they sell out?

Think I have most of the material they hand out at them, exam reports etc... so unsure if it would be worth my while going for just the lecture side of them or not...... ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7 law11

Any advice/tips for passing criminal? What are the main things the examiner is looking for? Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

law11 wrote: »
    Any advice/tips for passing criminal? What are the main things the examiner is looking for? Any help appreciated!

I know it's kind of late but seriously try to get your hands on the examiner's reports. They're so detailed. I'd almost go as far to say they're all you need!

I only have a hard copy otherwise I'd mail them to you.

Otherwise, the only tip for Criminal is genuinely to cover everything. It's completely mixed. In fairness though, it's relatively short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 law11

KoukiKeith wrote: »
    I know it's kind of late but seriously try to get your hands on the examiner's reports. They're so detailed. I'd almost go as far to say they're all you need!

I only have a hard copy otherwise I'd mail them to you.

Otherwise, the only tip for Criminal is genuinely to cover everything. It's completely mixed. In fairness though, it's relatively short.

Thanks for the advice, I have the reports so will pay more attention to them this time around. I was so close last time just trying to ensure it doesn't happen again! Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement