Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShamblesB

Hey guys, would anyone please be able to tell me what topics came up in October 2012 for EU, equity, company and contract! If anyone has a chance... I'm really struggling to remember everything and despite the examiners advising against it, maybe I could take a look and try leave a few bits out! Thanks...

Oh and the problem question on directives in EU, part II always seems to be about a right to damages, is this under Francovich does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

ShamblesB wrote: »
    My brain has crashed! Does anyone out there have a solution for remembering hundreds of case names quickly!!! :confused:

Read Tony Buzan's books on memory techniques, spider diagrams, mind-maps etc. Experiment with several techniques until you find what works for you. Process the information in your brain several ways - read it, re-write it from memory, re-write with different colours, read it aloud, have someone read it to you etc. When I was in college I used to make up silly limericks like this:

There was an oul' man called Mulhall
    He left his poor widow f'uckall
    She said - on the night...
    There was no line of sight,
    So she took the whole lot, after all.

Sorry for the profanity if it bothers anyone, but it has helped me to this day to remember that Mulhall v Mulhall was the case about witnessing a signature on a will, and faulty witnessing resulted in intestacy and common law succession - obviously before the Act of course.
    That sort of thing works, but you need to do your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

JCJCJC wrote: »
    Read Tony Buzan's books on memory techniques, spider diagrams, mind-maps etc. Experiment with several techniques until you find what works for you. Process the information in your brain several ways - read it, re-write it from memory, re-write with different colours, read it aloud, have someone read it to you etc. When I was in college I used to make up silly limericks like this:

Sorry for the profanity if it bothers anyone, but it has helped me to this day to remember that Mulhall v Mulhall was the case about witnessing a signature on a will, and faulty witnessing resulted in intestacy and common law succession - obviously before the Act of course.

Absolute genius

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Maurice Levy

Can anyone tell me what, if anything, I should know about the Companies (Amendment) Act 2012?

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll give anything a shot at this stage, reading and re-reading is getting me nowhere!!!

Thanks, I'll give anything a shot at this stage, reading and re-reading is getting me nowhere!!!

I can certainly relate to that. You need to vary how the data is being written to your brain. Pick one topic - read it twice. Shut your book, write out a summary of it. Correct your summary against the original, and highlight what you forgot - eg a case citation. Shut the book again - now write out only what you forgot the first time. Go for a walk in the fresh air, and talk to yourself, say aloud what the topic was about, explain it to the dog if you have to. Come back and re-write your summary, combine everything. Now see how good is it - it'll have improved. Re-write it again the following morning.

Lifestyle really, really matters from here on. Get early nights - forget about 5am cram sessions, nobody's brain works properly in the small hours. Get eight hours sleep a night, eat well, don't dose yourself up with r*d b*ll or anything like that. Personally I'd go for a pint just to relax one night a week, with people who aren't in this process in any way, to clear my head.
    On the day of the exam I'd have a lucozade and a mars bar before going in, simply because I normally don't, it gives me a lift, and I take in a roll of sweets to suck to keep the blood sugars up, and well revved up at that - three exam hours is a long hard stressful mental performance, give yourself some help. After two or three questions I take a walk to the restrooms, just to get a break from it and a breath of air, it somehow doesn't look so bad when you come back!

Use the back page of your answer book for rough work and to plan your answers - list out the issues, cases etc as they occur to you. So, if maybe your plans for Q4 and Q5 are looking a bit thin to begin with, sketch out a plan anyway. As you complete Q1, 2 & 3, you'll get a buzz and a bit of relaxation, particularly if your time management is going well. Your memory will then kick back in again and you'll be able to fill in more on 4 & 5 before you tackle them, your brain will be running them in the background.
    Your Companies' Act, your constitution and your EU treaties are your three best friends for the next few weeks - don't be opening them for the first time in the exam. As well as marking up articles, mark up the contents pages and even the indices at the back, eg if you are doing a question on the family, the index will remind you to look at 42 for education and 41 for everything else.
    Really ponder what are the issues in the questions, perhaps especially in EU and Constitutional. I have seen people here getting it very wrong, in my humble opinion. I might be all wrong too, but I've all eight passed if that means anything. Don't think Woohoo! A traveller!! it must be about equality. Woohoo again!!! A fella with a sign problem - it must be about freedom of expression.
    When you're stressed, it's all too easy to slip on banana skins like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

Oh and the problem question on directives in EU, part II always seems to be about a right to damages, is this under Francovich does anyone know?

Yes. Francovich and Brasserie du Pecheur/Factortame.

Read Tony Buzan's books on memory techniques, spider diagrams, mind-maps etc.

Just bought his text 'Buzan's Study Skills: Mind Maps, Memory Techniques, Speed Reading and More! (Mind Set)' on Amazon. Looks decent from the reviews Ive read. Thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Happychicky7

Really interesting to read all the different ways people have of revising topics. Pity I didnt cotton on to some of them earlier! Must say though with regards JCJCJC's idea of writing and re-writing etc, while generally a really good idea but with just over a week to go before kick-off and with many people doing 3, 4 or maybe more exams this technique is a bit time consuming at this stage especially with subjects as vast as EU and Constitution (my tormentors!). I would suggest the good ole fashioned high-lighting system using different colourr when going over your notes, e.g. when doing Const I use green to highlight the Article, (or Act) Orange for the cases and yellow for the main point. Aside from a ridiculoulsy colourful display at times I find that it means Im not just passively reading something but actually concentrating on the different components of a topic (Art, case, point) It also means when I go to read back over something I can see straight away from the page that there are 5 cases concerning a particular area of Art 40.3 /Unenum Rts...I've managed to remember things during an exam just by visualising the page of my notes!?! Its worked in the last round so here's hoping...
    Each to their own though, flashcards and mapping tend to work for a lot of people too. I guess try a few different ways in the next day or so and see whats suits. As for laying off the red bull (and coffee) I long for a life without them at this stage -my body feels polluted! Alas the candle is still burning...bring on March 22nd, serious detox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 lbcoconut

Apologies if this a really petty question at this stage but just wondering are the invigilators strict when it comes to using tipex on a permitted source? Have a few marks on my copy of the Constitution and will have to arrange getting a new one if i can't just tipex them out! Thanks in advance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Hey, can someone kindly post the oct 12 eu casenotes!

Really interesting to read all the different ways people have of revising topics. Pity I didnt cotton on to some of them earlier! Must say though with regards JCJCJC's idea of writing and re-writing etc, while generally a really good idea but with just over a week to go before kick-off and with many people doing 3, 4 or maybe more exams this technique is a bit time consuming at this stage especially with subjects as vast as EU and Constitution (my tormentors!). I would suggest the good ole fashioned high-lighting system using different colourr when going over your notes, e.g. when doing Const I use green to highlight the Article, (or Act) Orange for the cases and yellow for the main point. Aside from a ridiculoulsy colourful display at times I find that it means Im not just passively reading something but actually concentrating on the different components of a topic (Art, case, point) It also means when I go to read back over something I can see straight away from the page that there are 5 cases concerning a particular area of Art 40.3 /Unenum Rts...I've managed to remember things during an exam just by visualising the page of my notes!?! Its worked in the last round so here's hoping...
    Each to their own though, flashcards and mapping tend to work for a lot of people too. I guess try a few different ways in the next day or so and see whats suits. As for laying off the red bull (and coffee) I long for a life without them at this stage -my body feels polluted! Alas the candle is still burning...bring on March 22nd, serious detox.
    I can certainly relate to that. You need to vary how the data is being written to your brain. Pick one topic - read it twice. Shut your book, write out a summary of it. Correct your summary against the original, and highlight what you forgot - eg a case citation. Shut the book again - now write out only what you forgot the first time. Go for a walk in the fresh air, and talk to yourself, say aloud what the topic was about, explain it to the dog if you have to. Come back and re-write your summary, combine everything. Now see how good is it - it'll have improved. Re-write it again the following morning.

Lifestyle really, really matters from here on. Get early nights - forget about 5am cram sessions, nobody's brain works properly in the small hours. Get eight hours sleep a night, eat well, don't dose yourself up with r*d b*ll or anything like that. Personally I'd go for a pint just to relax one night a week, with people who aren't in this process in any way, to clear my head.
    On the day of the exam I'd have a lucozade and a mars bar before going in, simply because I normally don't, it gives me a lift, and I take in a roll of sweets to suck to keep the blood sugars up, and well revved up at that - three exam hours is a long hard stressful mental performance, give yourself some help. After two or three questions I take a walk to the restrooms, just to get a break from it and a breath of air, it somehow doesn't look so bad when you come back!

Use the back page of your answer book for rough work and to plan your answers - list out the issues, cases etc as they occur to you. So, if maybe your plans for Q4 and Q5 are looking a bit thin to begin with, sketch out a plan anyway. As you complete Q1, 2 & 3, you'll get a buzz and a bit of relaxation, particularly if your time management is going well. Your memory will then kick back in again and you'll be able to fill in more on 4 & 5 before you tackle them, your brain will be running them in the background.
    Your Companies' Act, your constitution and your EU treaties are your three best friends for the next few weeks - don't be opening them for the first time in the exam. As well as marking up articles, mark up the contents pages and even the indices at the back, eg if you are doing a question on the family, the index will remind you to look at 42 for education and 41 for everything else.
    Really ponder what are the issues in the questions, perhaps especially in EU and Constitutional. I have seen people here getting it very wrong, in my humble opinion. I might be all wrong too, but I've all eight passed if that means anything. Don't think Woohoo! A traveller!! it must be about equality. Woohoo again!!! A fella with a sign problem - it must be about freedom of expression.
    When you're stressed, it's all too easy to slip on banana skins like that.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm glad I stumbled across this thread! Everyone is really helpful and it's so important considering we have to do these by ourselves... I tried mind maps today and my notes are very colourful with highlighting too! As happychicky said, time is an issue at this stage but I will try squeeze in as much as I can, and at least I will have a better idea for the next four (hopefully only 4 that is!) there is so much to remember in these exams I think a study technique is really important. I've wasted so much time just reading and after a half hour or so my mind just takes nothing else in! Oh and JCJCJC, I noticed you said about remembering case citations? Is this necessary? So far I've just been trying to learn the name, not even the year! :eek:

Gibbonw2 wrote: »

Yeah please do if anyone has a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm glad I stumbled across this thread! Everyone is really helpful and it's so important considering we have to do these by ourselves... I tried mind maps today and my notes are very colourful with highlighting too! As happychicky said, time is an issue at this stage but I will try squeeze in as much as I can, and at least I will have a better idea for the next four (hopefully only 4 that is!) there is so much to remember in these exams I think a study technique is really important. I've wasted so much time just reading and after a half hour or so my mind just takes nothing else in! Oh and JCJCJC, I noticed you said about remembering case citations? Is this necessary? So far I've just been trying to learn the name, not even the year! :eek:

No need for citation or year, just the name will suffice.

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    Yeah please do if anyone has a chance!
    KoukiKeith wrote: »
    EU Case Grid incl. March 2012

1.Microsoft – 5
    2.Simmenthal – 3
    3.Altmark – 3
    4.Kobler – 3
    5.ERTA - 4
    6.Van Gend en Loos - 4
    7.Zhu & Chen – 3
    8.Marshall – 3
    9.P Kadi – 3
    10.Laval – 3
    11.Bar – 1

Factorame III, Rothley, Schmidberger, Association belge des Consommateurs Test-Achats & Others also came up. Would be the jawb if someone could add in the cases from Oct' 2012?
    October 12 case note cases were:

Van Gend en Loos
    Tobacco Advertising
    Kobler
    Laval
    Kadi/al Barakaat
    Test-Achats
    Zambrano
    Commission v.Govt. of Gibraltar and UK

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

Just looking at charitable trusts in equity and on the face of the Charities Act 2009 it says "revised" and appears to have only come into effect in its entirety on the 31st Oct 2012 . . . anyone know is that right? And if it is revised is there anything of significance that has been changed? All I could see was it repealed a few things in relation to the AG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Glinda! wrote: »
    Just looking at charitable trusts in equity and on the face of the Charities Act 2009 it says "revised" and appears to have only come into effect in its entirety on the 31st Oct 2012 . . . anyone know is that right? And if it is revised is there anything of significance that has been changed? All I could see was it repealed a few things in relation to the AG

It came up in the exam in October and I didn't answer on it then due to the confusion created by the Act so I haven't studied it this time around as, touch wood, it may not come up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kgalway

Hey, before I pull my hair out does anybody out there have concise case law notes for section 117 of Succession Act?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 kgalway

Thanks to chops 018 I got sorted for above so thanks!!

Ok I'm beginning to freak out I left everything until last minute (as per usual although this time Im working full time if I can use that as an excuse!) I need some advice: I REALLY have to cut contract and equity down to the very bare minimum, does anybody have any tips on what are the most important topics. I know everyone will say they are all important in contract but that is seriously just not an option now!

• Advertisement

chops018 wrote: »
    No need for citation or year, just the name will suffice.

Absolutely, but if you can even give an indication of the time it can only help - eg 'in the recent case of Dellway v Nama' or 'in Lord Denning's celebrated judgment in High Trees, during WW2,' etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Hi, does anyone have sample answers to the last Constitutional paper? Oct 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MemetTrebor

Looking for grids for EU and Company. I have Tort and Equity if people need them...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Glinda! wrote: »

Not sure if I am right but I just thought it was becuase the Charities Regulatory Authority has not been put in place yet altho enacted in 2009. I dont think there is any changes to what tends to be asked ie charitiable purpose so Im not going to worry about it...Famous last words though!!

Absolutely, but if you can even give an indication of the time it can only help - eg 'in the recent case of Dellway v Nama' or 'in Lord Denning's celebrated judgment in High Trees, during WW2,' etc.

I think I stand some chance of that, but remembering the exact year... Not a hope! :)

Could someone please post up what topics came up in EU October 2012, I'm really struggling here! Have been looking at the past papers and have an idea on maybe 4 questions max! So I'm going to try cover a bit more but want to chose something that hasn't come up in the last paper!

Also in Q5 April 2012 part iv am I correct in assuming that the farmer has no right to damages against Windy Ltd as it is a private entity?

Sorry to be a nuisance here with all the questions but last one - does anyone know did lisbon change the standing requirements (ie. Plaumann direct and individual concern) for challenging acts of the institutions?

I would really appreciate any help on any of these issues! Thanks :)

kgalway wrote: »
    Thanks to chops 018 I got sorted for above so thanks!!

Ok I'm beginning to freak out I left everything until last minute (as per usual although this time Im working full time if I can use that as an excuse!) I need some advice: I REALLY have to cut contract and equity down to the very bare minimum, does anybody have any tips on what are the most important topics. I know everyone will say they are all important in contract but that is seriously just not an option now!

For equity I would say injunctions and charitable trusts, they seem to come up pretty much every year! Specific performance, estoppel, tracing and resulting trusts come up a bit too, I would definitely try cover these at least! :) And unfortunately I'm on the same boat as you with contract. Illegal and void contracts, capacity and privity seem to appear a lot as an essay question...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lily Belle

Could anybody clarify for me the format for answering on property topics significantly affected by the LCLRA eg covenants and mortgages? Should you discuss the topic pre and post LCLRA equally or just focus primarily on post? Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sofakingood

Are you allowed put markers in the constitution that we bring in so that you can find a certain article quickly?

• Advertisement

Are you allowed put markers in the constitution that we bring in so that you can find a certain article quickly?

yes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement