Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 sally01

chops018 wrote: »

Your exam number, don't write your name on it, and then drop it into the redcow. Preferably the day before, but some people do it early on the day of the exam, but it could be late getting out to you.

Does it need to be the day before or is it more a case of at least a day before? I don't fancy driving to and from the red cow every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Preferably the day before, but some people do it early on the day of the exam, but it could be late getting out to you.
    sally01 wrote: »
    Does it need to be the day before or is it more a case of at least a day before?

:confused:

boomtown84 wrote: »

:confused:

Sorry if I confused u..what I meant was, for example, is it ok to drop the companies acts and constitution out the same day despite the fact it wouldn't be the day before the constitutional exam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Anyone do any prep courses for Eu? Any hot topics?
    I was thinking of leaving Art 107 state aid off looking at the exam grids but is it due a run?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

Sorry if I confused u..what I meant was, for example, is it ok to drop the companies acts and constitution out the same day despite the fact it wouldn't be the day before the constitutional exam?

Yeah you can throw them all in to them in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

Anyone do any prep courses for Eu? Any hot topics?
    I was thinking of leaving Art 107 state aid off looking at the exam grids but is it due a run?

Didn't do a prep course so can't comment on whether it's tipped or not. I'm concentrating on 101 & 102 as there's usually a decent amount of choice on the Competition Q. In saying that, I'll prob go over a brief outline of 107 to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭doing

anyone have a tort grid?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 danielpfdunne

Looking for grids for EU and Company. I have Tort and Equity if people need them...
    Would it be possible to get a copy of the equityexam grid? Unfortunately I only have a grid for criminal law so cant send you back what your looking for in return.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShamblesB

Your exam number, don't write your name on it, and then drop it into the redcow. Preferably the day before, but some people do it early on the day of the exam, but it could be late getting out to you.

Ok thanks... How late would it be getting out do you know? If it was only a half hour or so think I would just drop it the same day, rather than a long drive the day before! What's your exam no.? On my letter it has a candidate no. which is 55 and an id no. which is 7 figures? I take it my exam no. is 55 yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

ShamblesB wrote: »
    Ok thanks... How late would it be getting out do you know? If it was only a half hour or so think I would just drop it the same day, rather than a long drive the day before! What's your exam no.? On my letter it has a candidate no. which is 55 and an id no. which is 7 figures? I take it my exam no. is 55 yeah?

Yeah that's the exam number. I'm not 100% sure how long it takes getting into you to be honest, I usually hand it in the day before. I know it's a pain but better to be safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭GusherING

Wondering if anyone doing company law could answer this question. Can't seem to find the answer to it in any of my books.

If a shareholder takes a derivative action under one of the exceptions to Foss V Harbottle, what remedies can the court grant? Do they just make the decision void and/or award damages to the company?

Thanks in advance for any answers!!

Yeah that's the exam number. I'm not 100% sure how long it takes getting into you to be honest, I usually hand it in the day before. I know it's a pain but better to be safe.

Yeah better safe I guess, pity we can't post them! :)

GusherING wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone doing company law could answer this question. Can't seem to find the answer to it in any of my books.

If a shareholder takes a derivative action under one of the exceptions to Foss V Harbottle, what remedies can the court grant? Do they just make the decision void and/or award damages to the company?

Thanks in advance for any answers!!

They can grant whatever relief is appropriate in the circumstances, eg.

Park v Daily News- court prevented the shareholders from distributing proceeds of sale of shares amongst employees of co. as not in best interests of the co.

Simpson v Westminster Palace Hotels- member permitted to have UV act set aside and recover money which was transferred on foot of the transaction.

Also, under s.205 court can grant interlocutory relief, McGilligan v Grady- SC granted injunction preventing dismissal of a director pending the s.205 hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 odonohs2

Of the following what can I realistically leave out for Tort?

Professional Negligence other than medical
    Public Authority Liability
    Defective Premises
    Negligence & Children
    Statutory Duties of Care
    Liability for Animals
    Fatal Injuries/Survival
    Remedies
    Intentional Infliction of Emotional Damage

I've covered (or at least looked at) everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 odonohs2

Of the following what can I realistically leave out for Tort?

Professional Negligence other than medical
    Public Authority Liability
    Defective Premises
    Negligence & Children
    Statutory Duties of Care
    Liability for Animals
    Fatal Injuries/Survival
    Remedies
    Intentional Infliction of Emotional Damage

I've covered (or at least looked at) everything else.

Do you all think that unpredictable Constitutional paper last October was a one off? Or do you think that the examiner will abandon trends (by which I mean examining the same subjects every year)from now on?

I just wonder what's going on. The law society sells the examiners exam reports every year so by examining the same topics every year he/she was basically telling everyone not to bother studying anything else.

Maybe it was a way of passing less students and tightening the bell curve? (And there's definitely a bell curve as only so many students can study at blackhall, let alone find training contracts, but anyone with a degree can pay 105 euro a subject and sit the FE1's).

So is everyone covering everything in constitutional or being strategic and gambling?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Im wondering the same, I didn't think it was that strange a paper though considering its quite topical, although I would have thought that paper was more suited to this sitting that the last, given that the referendum hadn't been held at that point. I'm thrown by constitutional as well, not really sure where to focus my study at all given how he really does ask anything. Any thoughts on chances of areas like abortion appearing given how topical it is? I'm really trying to just leave out the small chapters, but covering most of it is proving impossible really. Did you notice as well that he has no pattern with the cases being asked, in terms of the older cases? Would love to know what percentage passed the last paper, seems like every 2nd person failed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Gibbonw2

Tort priority subjects going into last 2 days. Peoples opinions? Top 10 even. Also, what is the examiner like in terms of marking? Im relatively confident but it is the 'shorter' statute based subjects like occupiers liability/defective products that worry me. Find it difficult to see how you can get a 3/4 page answer out of many of the prob questions

doing wrote: »
    Do you all think that unpredictable Constitutional paper last October was a one off? Or do you think that the examiner will abandon trends (by which I mean examining the same subjects every year)from now on?

I just wonder what's going on. The examiner sells exam reports every year so by examining the same topics every year he/she was basically telling everyone not to bother studying anything else.

Maybe it was a way of passing less students and tightening the bell curve? (And there's definitely a bell curve as only so many students can study at blackhall, let alone find training contracts, but anyone with a degree can pay 105 euro a subject and sit the FE1's).

So is everyone covering everything in constitutional or being strategic and gambling?

Also what do you mean by the examiner sells the reports? Is it not the Law Soc?

Also what do you mean by the examiner sells the reports? Is it not the Law Soc?

That's what I meant. I was speaking loosely.

Do you think topicality is the most important thing? EG right to commit suicide and abortion have been in the press a lot recently.

• Advertisement

Do you think topicality is the most important thing? EG right to commit suicide and abortion have been in the press a lot recently.

He does seem to put a lot of emphasis on topicality. Although with the suicide and abortion issues there hasn't actually been any change or development in the law so I would wonder whether he would see any reason to examine them. Just my opinion though.

I really hope its a nicer paper than Oct 12!

He does seem to put a lot of emphasis on topicality. Although with the suicide and abortion issues there hasn't actually been any change or development in the law so I would wonder whether he would see any reason to examine them. Just my opinion though.

I really hope its a nicer paper than Oct 12!

I think Enda Kenny might have said he'd introduce legislation on abortion, although that's gone quiet now after Lucinda Creighton said she'd split the party over it. So I thought there might be a question about advising either drafting the new law or appealing it as unconstitutional.

As far as suicide goes, just the fact there's been a case on it and opinions have been given by Judges at SC level.

But I have no idea what to focus on same as everyone else.

Well you'd be a fool to leave them out if that's what you're asking. I'm trying to cover everything. The most important thing imo is getting 5 questions done. The fact the case note Q is there leaves very little room for error. Still haven't hit turbo panic study mode yet...which is worrying.

boomtown84 wrote: »
    Well you'd be a fool to leave them out if that's what you're asking. I'm trying to cover everything. The most important thing imo is getting 5 questions done. The fact the case note Q is there leaves very little room for error. Still haven't hit turbo panic study mode yet...which is worrying.

I'm definitely going to cover them, I'm just wondering if anyone who follows these things can think of any other big constitutional issues that have been tried at HC/SC in the last 6 months?

My "plan" at this stage is to do all the stuff he/she used to set every year without fail, then the topics examined in october, then the topical stuff. But if it's completely random and I don't get 5 questions then that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Gibbonw2 wrote: »
    Tort priority subjects going into last 2 days. Peoples opinions? Top 10 even. Also, what is the examiner like in terms of marking? Im relatively confident but it is the 'shorter' statute based subjects like occupiers liability/defective products that worry me. Find it difficult to see how you can get a 3/4 page answer out of many of the prob questions

I was looking at sample answers for some of those 'smaller' topics. Seems they really tie in and mention the facts a lot, it spreads the answer a bit more and you still get the case law and legislation slotted in.

You'll definitely get 5Q's if you do all of that.

Gibbonw2 wrote: »

Would also like to know peoples' thoughts on this. My main topics are trespass, ordinary neg, vicarious liability, defective products, defamation, nuisance & nervous shock. Anything else I should cover as a last minute job?

How has drafting new legislation come up before? I haven't come across that yet in the past papers. I wouldn't be surprised at all if abortion came up. I think he asks q's based on cases before they have actually been litigated, like the referendum q last yr was based on cases released in November, he must have the inside track in the courts lol. I think its an unfair approach that he takes though because it doesn't give us a chance in knowing what to focus on.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Happychicky7

Re Tort: You should throw in liability for animals, very handy q...I was told to cover it I didnt...it came up :( Scraped a pass all the same on what u are covering though

• Advertisement

Re Tort: You should throw in liability for animals, very handy q...I was told to cover it I didnt...it came up :( Scraped a pass all the same on what u are covering though

That came up in the last sitting right? I have a brief sketch of it in my head alright but wouldn't be able to attempt an essay Q on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement