Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Re constitutional: is sovereignty worth covering?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShamblesB

Could anyone let me know what topics they think are very important for company? Thought I was ok for it so didn't do much and had a look at the examiners report for Oct 2012 and it seemed to be an awful paper! 40% pass rate... That's after worrying me a bit! So does anyone know of any hot topics tipped or anything that is due a run looking at exam grids?

Also, is it safe to say in eu that either fundamental rights or subsidarity/proportionality come up? Was hoping for fundamental rights because I left the latter out but I saw fundamental rights was asked on the last paper? Therefore would you think it won't be asked again this sitting?

Thanks for any replies! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 odonohs2

Re Tort: You should throw in liability for animals, very handy q...I was told to cover it I didnt...it came up :( Scraped a pass all the same on what u are covering though

It's come up 4 times in the last 20 sittings, one of which was October 2012. It seems highly unlikely to come up again in the next sitting, especially when there are several other minor topics which have not come up as recently. For example, medical/professional negligence, employer's liability, defective premises, negligence & children, intentional emotional damage, etc.

But as I said, these are all minor areas. Probably best to have just enough knowledge of them all to answer a question in case you get stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

Great case here on animal torts and the doctrine of scienter, it's Canadian, but written in simple language:
    http://www.animallaw.info/nonus/cases/caca2004carswellbc946.htm

2009 Case, which covered most of the common law

http://www.bailii.org/ie/cases/IEHC/2009/H2.html

Note the relevant statutes, Animals Act, Control Of Dogs Acts & Regs, Control Of Horses Act, and you have it covered. Nice question if you know the topic and it coms up.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Does anyone have any tips for tackling negligence problem questions?I have the stuff in my head,but am finding it hard to apply to scenarios!In particular,to what extent should you set out the elements of the tort? It's a massive area,so I don't want to skip elements,but at the same time,if I rattle off all the cases I feel like I'll run out of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Kelly1986

Hey does anyone know how q6 on the October 2012 constitutional paper should be answered by any chance!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 A.Cullen

Hi, I am planning on not bringing in the Companies Acts to the exam. My reasons are: they are expensive, I wont be able to drop it in the day before and it seems like a distraction in the exam,given the time pressure. I have brought legislation into previous exams and have not even opened it once. Hopefully I will have everything I need learnt off, but am I crazy?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭UberStressed

A.Cullen wrote: »
    Hi, I am planning on not bringing in the Companies Acts to the exam. My reasons are: they are expensive, I wont be able to drop it in the day before and it seems like a distraction in the exam,given the time pressure. I have brought legislation into previous exams and have not even opened it once. Hopefully I will have everything I need learnt off, but am I crazy?

Not at all, I passed without the C Act in the exam, seemed like such a waste of money to buy it and if you are not already familiar with it could really throw you off...

A.Cullen wrote: »

To each his own - I personally wouldn't deprive myself of an aid. The rules say 'day before' for handing in materials, but everybody here should know by now that the practise for many candidates is to hand them in on the morning of the exam. I've always done it on the morning, and the materials are delivered to your desk about thirty minutes into the exam.
    It's fine if you have another exam on the day before, but if not you shouldn't be wasting extremely valuable study time dropping an Act to the Red Cow. Take it in the morning you're doing the exam - I've always found the invigilators to be professional and courteous, and they appreciate that your stress levels are going to be high anyway, they will try to make the process as easy as they can for you within the rules.

If you tackle a question on S150/S160, the Act is handy, and if you tackle examinership/receivership/liquidator it's also good to give you the basic statutory structure. I agree it's an expense, but really you should have it bought at this point if you're going to use it.

Guys please does anyone have any tips for company i'm freaking out at this stage!!! :(

• Advertisement

JCJCJC wrote: »
    To each his own - I personally wouldn't deprive myself of an aid. The rules say 'day before' for handing in materials, but everybody here should know by now that the practise for many candidates is to hand them in on the morning of the exam. I've always done it on the morning, and the materials are delivered to your desk about thirty minutes into the exam.
    It's fine if you have another exam on the day before, but if not you shouldn't be wasting extremely valuable study time dropping an Act to the Red Cow. Take it in the morning you're doing the exam - I've always found the invigilators to be professional and courteous, and they appreciate that your stress levels are going to be high anyway, they will try to make the process as easy as they can for you within the rules.

If you tackle a question on S150/S160, the Act is handy, and if you tackle examinership/receivership/liquidator it's also good to give you the basic statutory structure. I agree it's an expense, but really you should have it bought at this point if you're going to use it.

There's no chance you wouldn't get it at all is there? Do they say anything to you for handing it in late? I'm just worried that they won't take it or something! How early will they be there the day of the exam to hand it in to them?

ShamblesB wrote: »
    There's no chance you wouldn't get it at all is there? Do they say anything to you for handing it in late? I'm just worried that they won't take it or something! How early will they be there the day of the exam to hand it in to them?

Look - I've all eight done, I repeated a few, so I've been through the mill. Chill - your stress levels are showing! They are reasonable people. Surely you'll be in the Red Cow by 9 for a 9.30 exam - that's adequate time to hand it in. Have your EXAM NUMBER on it, and don't forget your law soc letter and photo ID.

Thanks, think i'll just hand it in on the day so, as you said don't want to be wasting valuable study time! And yes I'm a ball of stress right now, have mountains of notes everywhere and don't really know where to start! This is my first sitting as well so don't really know what to expect! Can't wait until I can say I have all 8 done too! :)

Thanks, think i'll just hand it in on the day so, as you said don't want to be wasting valuable study time! And yes I'm a ball of stress right now, have mountains of notes everywhere and don't really know where to start! This is my first sitting as well so don't really know what to expect! Can't wait until I can say I have all 8 done too! :)

You'll be fine. At this stage you really need to be reducing your notes to a minimum - use the City Colleges night-before notes available online if you like, they are concise and they get the whole syllabus down to a minimum, or do your own. Have a structured study plan timetable for each day from now to your last exam - what exactly are you going to be doing each day? It's all too easy to get into a tizzy about some complex obscure point, and waste too much time on it, and it probably won't come up then. Good luck with the whole process, it is do-able.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Happychicky7

Your not alone in the stress game, it's my second sitting and I think Im worse off than the 1st time. But I am learning to relax a bit, no point spending hours on end pouring over something when only 30mins worth of stuff is going in. You might feel really caught for time but taking regular breaks can be a lifesaver, even 10-15 mins every hour & 1/2 of study and walk away from the books will refresh your head. I was told by someone to have a bottle of water with me and just sip away, works for study and during the exams. Keeping hydrated helps you concentrate and fends off tiredness.

But fear not your in good company (sorry...:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

What are the odds of them postponing these exams due to snow?! :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hermitage

Good luck to everyone doing FE-1s! I am doing PPC1 exams his week and am up the walls just like I was with FE-1s. I remember thinking PPC1 must be a breeze compared to the FE-1s when I was doing them. I think the FE-1s just have me so scarred that I apply the same fear and anxiety to all exams now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

KoukiKeith wrote: »
    What are the odds of them postponing these exams due to snow?! :o:D

I'd love an extra week. Not to study mind you, to watch Cheltenham all week! My 10/15 min breaks have turned into hour long breaks reading the form. It's an addictive nightmare:D

boomtown84 wrote: »
    I'd love an extra week. Not to study mind you, to watch Cheltenham all week! My 10/15 min breaks have turned into hour long breaks reading the form. It's an addictive nightmare:D

Another week & I reckon I'd be golden :D Who am I kidding .... Best to get the pain over and done with! Gutted I'm missing all the fussball today :(

Well, go over your exam grids instead and work out the first and second favourites from those..;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

When I have these FE1 exams out of the way I am taking myself to Cheltenhan make up for all the missed Cheltenham weeks due to study in the past few years.. i promise myself! Ah Cheltenham week used to be so much fun..now I just associate it with cramming with one eye on the tv!

So what topics are you all focusing on for EU and constitutional?

Would love it to be postponed due to snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Is it snowing in Dublin now?

raining!

Sleet/light snow in Cork. They'd hardly postpone on such short notice if it got very bad, would they?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭sorchauna

raining!

I'm glad, last thing we need is to be battling icy conditions going to Dublin!! I can't believe its time for this round, it just feels like I'm still recovering from the last lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 davedegar

EXAM GRIDS DONT WORK, NO MORE THAN LOTTO NUMBER STATISTICS!

davedegar wrote: »
    EXAM GRIDS DONT WORK, NO MORE THAN LOTTO NUMBER STATISTICS!

You're absolutely, entirely and teetotally right. That's why, on the morning of the FE1s, I saluted all the magpies, put my cap on backwards, made sure I drove past a black cat, didn't allow a red-headed woman to whistle on my boat and gave the child of Prague a good kick up the a'se with a steel toecap. Never failed - that's how I got all eight with half the syllabus studied, GCD's grids were no help at all ;-)

I'm working on the lotto - remember the mathematician who beat the system when it first came out with 33 numbers? He exploited the difference between odds and probability.

:D

Does anyone have any concise notes on retention of title clauses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Happychicky7

JCJCJC wrote: »
    You're absolutely, entirely and teetotally right. That's why, on the morning of the FE1s, I saluted all the magpies, put my cap on backwards, made sure I drove past a black cat, didn't allow a red-headed woman to whistle on my boat and gave the child of Prague a good kick up the a'se with a steel toecap. Never failed - that's how I got all eight with half the syllabus studied, GCD's grids were no help at all ;-)

I'm working on the lotto - remember the mathematician who beat the system when it first came out with 33 numbers? He exploited the difference between odds and probability.

:D
    Well said! If the Child of Prague is left outside and gets wet in the rain isnt that a bad omen? Does snow count? Mam is lighting candles so I think Ive got a good shot @ this, she didnt light enough the last time and I let her know my anger about it, that learnt her!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement