Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Lily Belle

Would anybody by any chance be able to send me a Criminal Grid? If I have anything in return you need I'll be happy to oblige if I can!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I am in no way trying to put anyone down, or tell them how and when they should study. But, why the heck is there so many people asking for grids a week before the exams?

Now, I'm a bit under-prepared for this set as I started study late with the high of getting my first 4 last October and not doing nearly as much for this set, but still, I make sure to get grids sorted straight away and try and work through the topics using them. Also, it does let you know if you can leave an area or two out.

I know some people might have been studying all the topics without a grid and are now just trying to get them to see what they can leave out for revision, but I'm amazed at people asking for them this late to be honest - must have seen at least 4 or 5 different people on here asking for them in the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭dinemo6

Driving to the Red Cow in this snow in the mornin is not helping the nerves!! And it's due to get worse... I presume it wouldn't be bad enough for them to be postponed or anything would it...?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShamblesB

chops018 wrote: »
    I am in no way trying to put anyone down, or tell them how and when they should study. But, why the heck is there so many people asking for grids a week before the exams?

Now, I'm a bit under-prepared for this set as I started study late with the high of getting my first 4 last October and not doing nearly as much for this set, but still, I make sure to get grids sorted straight away and try and work through the topics using them. Also, it does let you know if you can leave an area or two out.

I know some people might have been studying all the topics without a grid and are now just trying to get them to see what they can leave out for revision, but I'm amazed at people asking for them this late to be honest - must have seen at least 4 or 5 different people on here asking for them in the last week.

It is a bit late to be honest but I for one didn't even know grids existed until I saw this thread! Not that I was looking for any because it's a bit late now but it is handy if people have their notes prepared to see if there is an area that they don't have to dedicate as much time to revising! Because a lot of people study for these exams by themselves at home they might not have even known about them! I just read the examiners reports and they constantly say there is no pattern, any question can be asked etc etc and I foolishly believed that for the past few months so I didn't look to try and find one! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

Not relying on the exam grids is the best way to pass but is obviously very hard & time consuming. I've done exactly the opposite and relied on them too much to be honest. I'm taking a fairly large gamble with my topics .... Only tomorrow will tell I suppose.

• Advertisement

I usually use the grid and try to work through as much of the topics I can from it. Then towards the end you can leave out one or two small areas that very rarely come up. They are a very good starting point for familiarising yourself with the most important topics too.

Anyway, how are people set for tort tomorrow? I seem to know the big topics well (I think) and some of the smaller areas.

Hoping for a nice paper really. Think I'll steer clear from essays as I don't think I'd have enough in the tank for them, problems seem to allow more to the point talk as you have to tie it all into the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 leitrimjoe90

Kelly1986 wrote: »
    Hey does anyone know how q6 on the October 2012 constitutional paper should be answered by any chance!?

thats a general essay on the development of fundamental rights...dont mix it up with the human personality doctrine from equality

Re constitutional: is sovereignty worth covering?

I would cover it if you have time...there was a casenote on byrne in the past two papers in a row...i would say cover it even if you only did out two pages of notes and learned them

Not at all, I passed without the C Act in the exam, seemed like such a waste of money to buy it and if you are not already familiar with it could really throw you off...

well worth the 80 or so euro, cost of time to repeat the test= hours of hell and missed work...if i didn't have it last time i wouldn't have passed, you couldn't do a question on examinership without it for example

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Thanks LeitrimJoe, i duno why but Ive a feeling it could be on since its never been asked, and from last paper he seems to love asking a never asked topic! This is probably a really stupid Q, but does anyone know how to get all the recent family and surrogacy case names that have been in paper the last fortnight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 odonohs2

Does anyone have any tips for tackling negligence problem questions?I have the stuff in my head,but am finding it hard to apply to scenarios!In particular,to what extent should you set out the elements of the tort? It's a massive area,so I don't want to skip elements,but at the same time,if I rattle off all the cases I feel like I'll run out of time.

Once you've identified that the question is on ordinary negligence break it down into three parts: 1) Is there a duty of care?; 2) Is there a breach of duty (standard of care)? and; 3) Did the negligent acts cause the damage (factually & legally)? If you answer yes to all the above, the defendant is probably liable. Then deal with any other issues arising in the question.

I know it's not as black and white as that but if you use those three questions as a guide you should cover ordinary negligence fairly comprehensively. And as you said, don't just rattle off all the cases you know, make sure they're somewhat relavant.

Is anyone trying to do a past paper from start to finish? I just don't have the stamina for it, I didn't last a half hour let alone 3 hours! Thought my hand was going to fall off! :( Hopefully I will get an adrenaline rush in the exam and keep at it! For anyone who has sat the exams before how did you find timing? I was giving myself a half hour per question but only got 2 pages wrote in that amount of time! Really hope I manage to get 5 done! I don't know how anyone could write 4 or 5 pages in such little time!

ShamblesB wrote: »
    Is anyone trying to do a past paper from start to finish? I just don't have the stamina for it, I didn't last a half hour let alone 3 hours! Thought my hand was going to fall off! :( Hopefully I will get an adrenaline rush in the exam and keep at it! For anyone who has sat the exams before how did you find timing? I was giving myself a half hour per question but only got 2 pages wrote in that amount of time! Really hope I manage to get 5 done! I don't know how anyone could write 4 or 5 pages in such little time!

Don't panic, it is a completely different situation in the exam. You will be under pressure, and you will see that lots of stuff will flood back into the brain. 30 mins per question and 5 mins or so reading/planning seems about right. I think for nearly every exam I finished usually about 12 ish, then used the last half hour for reading over my 5 questions. I usually get 3-5 pages down a question, depends on the exam and question really, and things like how big your writing is. One person might write so small that they would get the same info into an answer in 2 pages whereas another person writing almost the exact same material might get it spread over 4 or 5 pages.

Ha ha that's not me anyway, my writing is huge! I'm doomed! And it's barely legible when I'm rushing, I don't envy the examiners having to decipher it! :eek:

constitutional invalidity is driving me mad! So Art 50 means any laws in force before 1937 Constitutional will be deemed void ab initio if they are inconsistent with the C. But what is the effect if a law enacted after 1937 is declared invalid? Is it the same situation that its void ab initio?

Best of luck to everyone who is starting tomorrow! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭JCJCJC

yeah, I'd agree with Chops, you can't simulate the exam pressure. All I'd emphasise is planning your answers - it's worth a few minutes. Ask yourself - what's the question REALLY about? What am I going to say? What conclusion will I come to? What's the case law on this? Any academic comment? Has the jurisprudence altered course anywhere recently?
    I never hand-write anything, I found the three-hour stints to be tough going. Pace yourself, be strict on your time management and get five questions on at all costs, even if the last one is sketchy. Look after your basic physiology, ie keep your fluids and blood-sugars well revved up, and go for a breather after your second or third question - I always do that and it's a big help, it relaxes you to walk about and get some fresh air.

Oh - use ear-plugs to eliminate distractions, I got that advice in GCD and it works.

sorry to annoy you all, trying to figure out unconstitutionality effects on a challenger from Oct 2012, Q7, is it simply that the primary rule from Murphy applies that one should be redressed, but that this is subject to limitations if you sit on your rights etc?

JCJCJC wrote: »
    yeah, I'd agree with Chops, you can't simulate the exam pressure. All I'd emphasise is planning your answers - it's worth a few minutes. Ask yourself - what's the question REALLY about? What am I going to say? What conclusion will I come to? What's the case law on this? Any academic comment? Has the jurisprudence altered course anywhere recently?
    I never hand-write anything, I found the three-hour stints to be tough going. Pace yourself, be strict on your time management and get five questions on at all costs, even if the last one is sketchy. Look after your basic physiology, ie keep your fluids and blood-sugars well revved up, and go for a breather after your second or third question - I always do that and it's a big help, it relaxes you to walk about and get some fresh air.

Oh - use ear-plugs to eliminate distractions, I got that advice in GCD and it works.

Thanks for your advice, I'll take it all on board. Time management is going to be a real issue for me. I'm trying to speed up the pace here practicing past papers! My answers just don't seem to be long enough, I done a problem question there on restriction of directors and really thought I covered everything but it was only 2 and a half pages long! Is that a definitely gonna fail sort of answer? When other people are referring to cases how far do they delve into the facts? I would just state something such as "in Re Costello Doors it was stated that keeping proper books of account would go a long way towards discharging the burden of acting honestly and responsibly, so the fact that the directors here kept proper books will be of benefit to them" or whatever, and then next point... Do I need to elaborate a bit more or go into the facts in more detail?

Thanks for your advice, I'll take it all on board. Time management is going to be a real issue for me. I'm trying to speed up the pace here practicing past papers! My answers just don't seem to be long enough, I done a problem question there on restriction of directors and really thought I covered everything but it was only 2 and a half pages long! Is that a definitely gonna fail sort of answer? When other people are referring to cases how far do they delve into the facts? I would just state something such as "in Re Costello Doors it was stated that keeping proper books of account would go a long way towards discharging the burden of acting honestly and responsibly, so the fact that the directors here kept proper books will be of benefit to them" or whatever, and then next point... Do I need to elaborate a bit more or go into the facts in more detail?

Especially for problems, I would state the case, the main point/principle of it, apply it to the facts of the problem, move on.

To be honest I wouldn't go too much into doing up your own answers, there is too many topics to be doing that. It's all about remembering now - reading back over notes, and sample answers, then seeing if you can do a quick 5 min summary or jot down case names.

Remember if it's an essay: read the question, see what is being asked, try not to stray from that. Include some of your own opinion, use the facts of cases here a bit more. Good intro and conclusion and decent main body.

Problem: identify the issue(s), deal with each, quick and to the point with your case law, tie it all into the facts, conclude and give your advice.

• Advertisement

chops018 wrote: »
    Especially for problems, I would state the case, the main point/principle of it, apply it to the facts of the problem, move on.

To be honest I wouldn't go too much into doing up your own answers, there is too many topics to be doing that. It's all about remembering now - reading back over notes, and sample answers, then seeing if you can do a quick 5 min summary or jot down case names.

Oh right so you don't really go into in in too much detail then no? Just state what part of it is relevant to the issue at hand? Would u say that 2 and a half pages is way too short to obtain a pass mark on a question?

Too much detail already, try to be more concise - 'Directors have a statutory duty to act responsibly (re Costello Doors - keeping of proper accounts)'

Believe it or not, my bro-in-law worked for Costello Doors!

Good luck to all candidates anyway, keep posting on your progress..

Thanks JC. Feels like on a week ago I was finished the October set.

Too much detail already, try to be more concise - 'Directors have a statutory duty to act responsibly (re Costello Doors - keeping of proper accounts)'

Believe it or not, my bro-in-law worked for Costello Doors!

Ha ha well tell him well done on their account keeping! :D Oh if that's too much detail my answer would be even shorter! Do you think 2 half pages is way too little? Sorry to be going on but I would rather try elaborate a bit if I thought that would increase my chances of passing!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Glinda!

Ha ha well tell him well done on their account keeping! :D Oh if that's too much detail my answer would be even shorter! Do you think 2 half pages is way too little? Sorry to be going on but I would rather try elaborate a bit if I thought that would increase my chances of passing!

Dont waste time trying to pad out your answers with waffle. Keep to your main points. . better to hit the nail on head. Dont worry about the length of your answer. . the margins on the answerbook are narrow compared to a normal A4 copybook . . . leave a line in the middle of each paragraph too it will make you answer appear longer and points more definitively laid out.

Glinda! wrote: »
    Dont waste time trying to pad out your answers with waffle. Keep to your main points. . better to hit the nail on head. Dont worry about the length of your answer. . the margins on the answerbook are narrow compared to a normal A4 copybook . . . leave a line in the middle of each paragraph too it will make you answer appear longer and points more definitively laid out.

Thanks... I will find out soon enough if I have enough covered! :) much of a wait for the results does anyone know?

He was a door maker rather than a book keeper ;-) If you can get good concentrated content into two pages it'll do. In college, after our exams, the prof of criminal law used to give model answers. He would get every single aspect of the question hit on the head in about 3/4 of a page - say, 800 words. Being concise and economical with words is a definite lawyer's skill, assessing that ability is implicitly part of the examination process in any legal examination.

Thanks... I will find out soon enough if I have enough covered! :) much of a wait for the results does anyone know?

Six weeks usually. Friday 3rd of May I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Amre17

Good luck to all starting tomorrow..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 sally01

I think with the time pressure and the number of questions it's really a case of quality over quantity. I don't think the length is too important as long as you can give the examiner the points he's looking for and show him you can answer the question that's being asked. No point in filling your answer with irrelevant material cause at the end of the day it's unlikely to get you any extra marks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement