Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShamblesB

Its just so frustrating, was under such time pressure in that exam I didnt even read the questions right! Hopefully he's a (very!) forgiving marker...

Hey I assume you probably answered question 1 yesterday since it was the nicest question on the paper! Did u write about when the legislature has lifted the veil, eg. s.204 liability for failure to keep proper books etc or just the courts, ie fraud etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Happychicky7

No I just did the common law ones, fraud, agency, single eco entity...I spent an hour on that q and still didnt get everything in, nice question but fairly loaded as well

Re: Constitution

Anyone have or know where to get Brian Foley article(s) re human personality doctrine?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 footlose

Hey would anybody be able to tell me what came up in what question in October 2012 Constitutional Paper please? I have the paper but am unsure of what the topics are. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9 PTfan

footlose wrote: »
    Hey would anybody be able to tell me what came up in what question in October 2012 Constitutional Paper please? I have the paper but am unsure of what the topics are. Thanks

Question 1 is just case notes.
    Question 2 deals with right to life(right to die) ie re Ward off Court no.2, ability to refuse treatment, fitzpatrick & ryan v FK and recently fleming &others v Ireland.

Question 3 I'm not sure about this one

Question 4 deals with referendums ie the provisions if art46 and the case law in how it is very hard to interrupt them.
    Part b is a possible SOP with the government adapting a judicial function.

Question 5 is on SOP and your views on it

Question 6 according to the examiner reports was a broad question on the establishment or evolution of fundamental rights jurisprudence.

Question 7 deals with findings of unconstitutionalality ie arts 15.4.2 and Murphy v AG, CC v Ireland and a v governor of arbourhill prison.severance as v in maher v AG and tog v AG
    Learn about suspended declarations of unconstitutionalality.

Question 8 deals with equality, talk about right to discriminate to further aims under the constitution, proportionality, this is NOT a question about socio-economic rights. This is from the examiner reports.

There's my musings on the questions, hopefully it's helpful and we get a nice paper tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ShamblesB

No I just did the common law ones, fraud, agency, single eco entity...I spent an hour on that q and still didnt get everything in, nice question but fairly loaded as well

Oops, well I didn't read the question properly and got straight into the legislation, then after about 20 minutes I noticed my error so just got the basics in for the rest! What a great impression to make on the first question! Lol!

PTfan wrote: »
    Question 1 is just case notes.
    Question 2 deals with right to life(right to die) ie re Ward off Court no.2, ability to refuse treatment, fitzpatrick & ryan v FK and recently fleming &others v Ireland.

Question 3 I'm not sure about this one

Question 4 deals with referendums ie the provisions if art46 and the case law in how it is very hard to interrupt them.
    Part b is a possible SOP with the government adapting a judicial function.

Question 5 is on SOP and your views on it

Question 6 according to the examiner reports was a broad question on the establishment or evolution of fundamental rights jurisprudence.

Question 7 deals with findings of unconstitutionalality ie arts 15.4.2 and Murphy v AG, CC v Ireland and a v governor of arbourhill prison.severance as v in maher v AG and tog v AG
    Learn about suspended declarations of unconstitutionalality.

Question 8 deals with equality, talk about right to discriminate to further aims under the constitution, proportionality, this is NOT a question about socio-economic rights. This is from the examiner reports.

There's my musings on the questions, hopefully it's helpful and we get a nice paper tomorrow.

Q3 - Tribunals of Inquiry? Judicial function etc but then journalistic privilege? ...messy question imo

ShamblesB wrote: »
    Oops, well I didn't read the question properly and got straight into the legislation, then after about 20 minutes I noticed my error so just got the basics in for the rest! What a great impression to make on the first question! Lol!

You wouldnt lose marks for something like that, especially if you showed in the end that you knew what the q was about. To be honest I didnt properly plan out my answer either, just threw as much as poss on the page...to my detriment Im sure. Ah well onwards and upwards at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Q3 - Tribunals of Inquiry? Judicial function etc but then journalistic privilege? ...messy question imo

According to the grid I have it says this for question 3:

Problem (part) Personal Rights:
    Privacy and Good
    Name/Fair
    Procedures.

chops018 wrote: »
    According to the grid I have it says this for question 3:

Problem (part) Personal Rights:
    Privacy and Good
    Name/Fair
    Procedures.

Not a comforting sign when I cant make out the question!! I only have the last two papers, does he have a tendency to set obscure questions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 PTfan

Would agree wholeheartedly that Question 3 was an extremely messy question. Not sure how you would approach it, the functions and powers of a tribunal is reasonably ok but what is the situation regarding the compulsion to reveal his sources and the waiving of privilege for journalists.

Seems to be far too much administrative law in the Constitutional Law FE1 paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PorthawGlen

I am looking for any tips in how to recognise what they are asking in the exam papers. I am struggling with tort especially as regards to problem questions. I have gone over past exam papers but they seem to vary so much and dont understand what area they are examining. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PTfan wrote: »
    Would agree wholeheartedly that Question 3 was an extremely messy question. Not sure how you would approach it, the functions and powers of a tribunal is reasonably ok but what is the situation regarding the compulsion to reveal his sources and the waiving of privilege for journalists.

Seems to be far too much administrative law in the Constitutional Law FE1 paper.

I actually vaguely remember reading somewhere that Carolan is a fan of the idea of combining Admin and Const Law as one subject because of the significant overlap. Fair point perhaps, but until then...
    It doesn't help that his examiner reports are equally vague, he gives a very general overview and does not deal with the q's individually.
    In respect of journo privilege I would mention how the ECtHR are very pro- freedom of expression and protection of sources is an essential factor in this save for public security issues, a bit watery but if I was stuck! It would be a case of the student teaching the master in the art of obscurity, my own personal revenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Not a comforting sign when I cant make out the question!! I only have the last two papers, does he have a tendency to set obscure questions?

Main problem is its often not clear what topic is being asked. Any of the grind schools give predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I am looking for any tips in how to recognise what they are asking in the exam papers. I am struggling with tort especially as regards to problem questions. I have gone over past exam papers but they seem to vary so much and dont understand what area they are examining. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I hate to sound crass but there arent any tips for what you are asking. In order to identify what is being asked you need to know the material VERY VERY well and you need to practice exam questions. There are no hidden secrets to passing these exams other than hard work and dedication.

If you are really having trouble then do one of the Prep courses from the likes of Griffith, Independent Colleges or City colleges. If you cant afford to attend courses for all 8 then attend as many as you can afford so that you can get a gist of what how to identify topics. Constitutional can be quite a difficult paper when it comes to identifying what exactly is being asked so I would defo recommend a course for that paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 PorthawGlen

Hogzy wrote: »
    I hate to sound crass but there arent any tips for what you are asking. In order to identify what is being asked you need to know the material VERY VERY well and you need to practice exam questions. There are no hidden secrets to passing these exams other than hard work and dedication.

If you are really having trouble then do one of the Prep courses from the likes of Griffith, Independent Colleges or City colleges. If you cant afford to attend courses for all 8 then attend as many as you can afford so that you can get a gist of what how to identify topics. Constitutional can be quite a difficult paper when it comes to identifying what exactly is being asked so I would defo recommend a course for that paper.
    sorry maybe "tips" was the wrong word to use. I have studied the material inside out for the last couple of months and then look at a paper and have trouble knowing what they are looking for. Maybe the prep courses would be the way to go. Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

Get some exam grids, past papers & sample answers. Cross check past exam Qs that you're having difficulty identifying the pertinent issues with the sample answers. Establish whether there are set ways in which they're asked (there usually is). That's how I do it anyway.

P.s. In case you haven't read the comments about this sitting in Tort, the examiner has upped the level significantly so make sure you get your hands on that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Property was grand today, no overlap with topics that I could see. Confident I passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 footlose

Property was grand today, no overlap with topics that I could see. Confident I passed.

What came up? Is succession still a banker 2 questions?

footlose wrote: »
    What came up? Is succession still a banker 2 questions?

It came up twice; once as an essay, 's.111 legal right share and how it impacts upon restricting testamentary freedom' or something like that, and also as a problem question with capacity and formal requirements of a will, intestacy, and s.117.

I didn't look up past papers so didn't realise there were two 'banker' succession questions but will note that in the unlikely event I fail.

What else came up; lease and licences (problem Q), landlord and tenant (essay Q), family property (essay Q), co-ownership (problem Q), adverse possession (problem Q) and a three part question (explain two parts); bare licences, proprietary estoppel and contractual licences.

No easements, covenants, mortgages, freehold estates and the other introductory chapters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Props1

I thought Easements came up in the form of that problem question.

Props1 wrote: »
    I thought Easements came up in the form of that problem question.

Which one? Please say I misinterpreted the lease/licence one since that's one I didn't do.

Question four? With the landlord. At least that's what I was convinced it was. Serious post exam fear kicking in now.

Question four? With the landlord. At least that's what I was convinced it was. Serious post exam fear kicking in now.

Was question 4 the one with the internet cafe and pipes to be re-laid?

Yeah, something along those lines. The facts are along the lines of the Wong case on easements.

Yeah, something along those lines. The facts are along the lines of the Wong case on easements.

Oh that's alright, I didn't do that question. Good thing I didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Re: Constitution

Anyone have or know where to get Brian Foley article(s) re human personality doctrine?

Hi Happychicky, I don't know if it's the article you're looking for but you'll find some reference here at page 16 http://www.brianfoley.ie/Interpretative.pdf Best of luck :)

Eyespy wrote: »
    Hi Happychicky, I don't know if it's the article you're looking for but you'll find some reference here at page 16 http://www.brianfoley.ie/Interpretative.pdf Best of luck :)

Thanks for that, I'll check it out. Same to you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭KoukiKeith

Can anyone think of topical cases for EU Law in the last year or so?

I think the Microsoft decision may make an appearance given it's prominence in previous years & absence in the last two papers. Also, they were recently fined for failing to comply with a separate decision.

Simmenthal, Altmark, Zhu & Chen and Marshall are all due an appearance too.

Perhaps the Tobacco Advertising case given the new legislation came into effect last month (next Feb for existing products). Although it did appear in the October exam.

Any other suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

so lets hope EC is a decent fella tomorrow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement