Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 April 2008

Dante09 wrote: »
    thought it was weird tbh.
    thought i had done better than 60/61/68 in equity/criminal/contract
    didnt think i would get a 70 in property at all because
    a) its my least favorite subject
    b) i genuinely thought the exam didnt go particularly well though i knew i definitely passed it
    c) isnt property supposed to be the hardest marked exam?
    if marking the exams easier in the current climate is a tactic of the law society...well...that says enough...no need to comment

Anyone getting marks that high is more unusual than not. I got in the mid to late 50's but did very little work for Tort and Criminal. I believe property is being marked easier than before, with Company and Constitution and Equity now being one of the more difficult to pass.

Does anyone agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

IMO Constututional, EU, and Company are the toughest, Property and Criminal are easier, Tort has alot of caselaw if you think thats getting easier see April 08 Qwith the Whale on the beach was a total nightmare the paper after was a walk in the park by comparison.

Property is def the easiest to perpare for once you get your head around the lingo. The standard of marking is supposed to be consistent imo its not really possible to determine if it varies year to year? Its the papers that get more difficult or easier. eg Property this April was just copies of old questions, that said there is so little they can ask on Property it was nt much of a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Rocksteadykk

Does anyone know if you can do the one day griffith revision course without doing the full revision course? Also how much does the one day course cost? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

You really do hear different things depending on who you talk to.
    I have yet to sit EU/Comp/Const/Tort but ive heard that EU is hard to do well in but is the easiest to pass (which is all you want really)
    Everybody keeps saying how hard constitutional is but i know 3 people who got 68+ last sitting. But then the same people just scrapped their way through tort....i just dont get it because in college the marks one would get in a set of exams would usually, in my experience, be quite consistent. ie id never get 70+ in one subject and 54 in another. Whereas with the FE1s the marks are all over the shop. Makes me wonder if they actually read the scripts properly at all. What do yee think?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

In fairness these examiners are correcting thousands of exam papers, you can expect them all to be consistent all the time. I personally thought criminal and constitutional were marked hard but, think this varies from year to year!

• Advertisement

You really do hear different things depending on who you talk to.
    I have yet to sit EU/Comp/Const/Tort but ive heard that EU is hard to do well in but is the easiest to pass (which is all you want really)
    Everybody keeps saying how hard constitutional is but i know 3 people who got 68+ last sitting. But then the same people just scrapped their way through tort....i just dont get it because in college the marks one would get in a set of exams would usually, in my experience, be quite consistent. ie id never get 70+ in one subject and 54 in another. Whereas with the FE1s the marks are all over the shop. Makes me wonder if they actually read the scripts properly at all. What do yee think?

I'll admit the marks can really seem odd at times people nearly always pass the one they exexted to fail and vice versa point is if you know your stuff you ll get it. I hate to say it but you have the worst ones ahead of you!!

I hate to say it but you have the worst ones ahead of you!!

[/QUOTE]
    Talk about a vote of confidence hahaha!!

I'll admit the marks can really seem odd at times people nearly always pass the one they exexted to fail and vice versa point is if you know your stuff you ll get it. I hate to say it but you have the worst ones ahead of you!!
    Doubt it because i think that if you put in the work they are not near as hard as people make them out to be. Also the fact that i much prefer the subject matter of const/comp/eu to land and equity, makes me even look forward to these exams :cool:

Looking forward to FE1's......now thats dry :p

What can i say...i only have one love in my life!;)

• Advertisement

What can i say...i only have one love in my life!;)

Fair play I admire your optimism anyway ! It's half the battle lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Legal Exec

Does anyone know if you can do the one day griffith revision course without doing the full revision course? Also how much does the one day course cost? :)

About 2 weeks before the exam in each subjects.

They cost about €270 with half price for full term Griff FE1 students.

Well worth it- I have the manuals for sale @ €20 if you want an advanced look at whats on offer. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭macy9

Random question:

Does anyone know what the ''secondary causal issue'' is referred to by the examiner in the April 2008 Q8. Tort paper is. Apparently the better students mentioned it. Im just doing that q. now and its wrecking my head.

Its the q. regarding the defective car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

macy9 wrote: »
    Random question:

Does anyone know what the ''secondary causal issue'' is referred to by the examiner in the April 2008 Q8. Tort paper is. Apparently the better students mentioned it. Im just doing that q. now and its wrecking my head.

Its the q. regarding the defective car.

I would gladly tell you if I saw the question.....:(...If it helps, can you set out the facts briefly especially the parties in the question.

I would gladly tell you if I saw the question.....:(...If it helps, can you set out the facts briefly especially the parties in the question.

Vanguard Motors manufactures the popular VM100 family saloon, which has, since its intro. 18 months ago, held the no.1 sales slot. Jon bought a VM100 about 3 months ago. He was driving along the road at around 120km when the car suddenly lost power without warning. Jon managed to steer the car safely into the hard shoulder where he called for help.

Whent he car was inspected by Vanguard Motors, they informed Jon that it was a once off technical hitch whereby an electrical lead had failed for no apparent reason. They replaced the lead and the car returned to normal use.

Subsequently, Vanguard Motors discovered that the design of the VM100 was defective. under v.rare conditions, the lead could fail due to a short circuit. The defect could be remedied using a higher rated lead, but it would take 6 months before there was sufficient supply of these higher rated leads to replace them in all of the VM100 which had been sold. As there was little likelihood of any damage or injury arising from the failure of the lead, Vanguard Motors decided not to make a recall announcement until they had sufficient stock of these leads to change all the affected cars.

Jon was again driving on the road when his VM100 suddenly lost power. This time the road was icy and, without the anti-lock braking system, the car spun across two lanes and into the driving barrier. Jon was rendered parapelegic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It is referring to the fact Vanguard knew about the faults after the first crash and didnt recall the cars.

The subsequent (secondary causal link) knowledge of the technical hitch further compounds their liability and strengthens the causal link to the damage/tort.

First Casual Link with Vanguard = Car with defect.

Secondary Link = Subsequent knowledge of defect.

Hope that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Heineken pants

Anyone know the usual dates for the repeat results. Think its around mid july but not sure....?

Constitutional, easily the hardest marked subject in my opinion

It is referring to the fact Vanguard knew about the faults after the first crash and didnt recall the cars.

The subsequent (secondary causal link) knowledge of the technical hitch further compounds their liability and strengthens the causal link to the damage/tort.

First Casual Link with Vanguard = Car with defect.

Secondary Link = Subsequent knowledge of defect.

Hope that makes sense.

Really appreciate the help, thanks so much!
    Anyone know the usual dates for the repeat results. Think its around mid july but not sure....?

Constitutional, easily the hardest marked subject in my opinion

You can repeat the FE 1's???

Seriously? That's news to me (sitting them for the 1st time in October)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 legal bee

Hey guys

Just wondering is there anyone out there thats studying for the contract and property exams for this coming October? I am but have pretty old manuals. Has there been any recent developments in these areas and what is tipped to come up on the papers? I know everyone is really busy but a quick reply would be a great weight off my mind:)

Thanks

Hi LB,

I can sell ya the Griffith last sitting exam manual '08 from the April '09 exams for €50.00 and you will get the above free. :D

• Advertisement

Legal Exec wrote: »
    Hi LB,

I can sell ya the Griffith last sitting exam manual '08 from the April '09 exams for €50.00 and you will get the above free. :D
    you dont give up do you?

We're in a badly hit profession maybe we should all give up....

We're in a badly hit profession maybe we should all give up....

as a matter of fact i have;)

keep brushing up on your sale skills though..have you sold many?

But am selling from more than 1 term.

If you're such an expert on how I need too brush up you would know I don't need to brush up...

ya wha?
    kudos to you and apologies for my underestimation of you sales skills ;)
    (any freebies going?:D...im currently planted at broke.com)

have you a traineeship yourself?

As regards the traineeship and my career I shall plead the fifth- too many begrudgers out there ;)

As regards the traineeship and my career I shall plead the fifth- too many begrudgers out there ;)

ill take that as an affirmative. ;)
    take it easy:cool:

Best wishes for your future.

I have a copy of all of griffith's FE 1 lecture videos. Though i think it would be illegal to sell. Damn! Money making prospect right there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

macy9 wrote: »
    I have a copy of all of griffith's FE 1 lecture videos. Though i think it would be illegal to sell. Damn! Money making prospect right there.

I wish the Griffith people could prevent this from happening. I didn't think it was possible to download the dvd's.

I'm bitter because I've paid (a lot) to watch lectures on moodle.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement