Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Heineken pants

Waiting on 2 rechecks myself - anyone with a 'inside track' hear when the law society are posting them?

The recheck application that the law society send out says around the 15th of july but thats probably just an approximate date

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Legal Exec

Especially if you need it for the 3rd or 8th exam!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

There are some stories about ppl coming up from 37 and then there is also those of ppl failing to come up from 49. Hoping to come up in Const because i thought i did a good enough exam to pass but not feeling too confident about a mark up.From what i have read Const doesnt get marked up too often. There is absolutely no consistency with the marking or the re checks with these exams, its a joke

How could it be consistent sure the quality of answers and the numbers of people sitting them is huge, its not a joke its the way its done and thats part of a profession they can do it however they like.

PS this thread used to be informative its a pile of rubbish now nothing but moaning about the Fe1s being hard and there being no traineeships its depressing oh of course and people selling manuals and then the odd potential copyright thing, dire.

You could be a developer! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mwalshe

Results issued last Friday according to the Law Society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mwalshe

Brought up from 48 to 50, so happy days...........only Torts left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Dante09

Hi guys im just wondering if anyone could please help me out with this.
    In the last company sitting (april 09) which if any of the following appeared in some shape of form:
    Examinership
    Receivership
    Winding-up
    Article 80.
    From the grids my guess would be that examinership and winding up came up.
    Please, if anyone knows could you let me know as im trying to cut down the course but the grid I have ends at oct 08 sitting.
    Thanks a million in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 quinner360

Hi, just starting to get into const now and im lost. Anyone got any ideas where to start, would appreciate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭enry

quinner360 wrote: »
    Hi, just starting to get into const now and im lost. Anyone got any ideas where to start, would appreciate it?

start with interpretation

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭legal eagle 1

start with interpretation
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

not to be a pain in ass but i thought interretation was very difficult to study,very theortical and youd be better off doing personal rights, all of them, as your guaranteed to get at least 2 qs at least partially on them

Focus on Non Justiciability.

As you know my friend you are very late for this heavy topic- so catch up quickly.

Although the manuals are intimidating if you know rights/procedures re. inviobility/evidence and Sep of Powers you're in with a shout! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

not to be a pain in ass but i thought interretation was very difficult to study,very theortical and youd be better off doing personal rights, all of them, as your guaranteed to get at least 2 qs at least partially on them

Isn't seperation of powers + non justicibility, the most difficult topic? I haven't done rights yet but hoping they'll be easier to understand.

Hard or not its what ya need to know!

Contract, Equity and Constitutional Full term Manuals & Free Past
    Paper Homework books - €50.00
    EU Blackstones €10.00. Banking Transfers & Posting (if required) -no
    probs!

Dara- legaladviceonl...@gmail.com or 08 300 400 76/ 01 44 0 99 56

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭mandz

Just seen on Law Society website that they're expecting 400 people to sign up to PPCI course compared to 657 in Sept 07. They're down 40% and feeling the pinch:
    http://www.lawsociety.ie/displayCDAContent.aspx?groupID=149&headerID=14339&code=latest_news

Perhaps that's kinda good news for us still doing the exams with the numbers falling :rolleyes:

Ooooh to be one of those lucky people with their places secured :rolleyes:
    I'm even surprised if they even manage to get 400 people signed up for September................where are these people finding the training contracts please share ;)
    And Mandz I disagree with you slightly , i see it as a bad thing it means there will be a load more people placed in the same position as myself competing for those elusive training contracts :(

Yeah initially its a bad thing, waay wore competition for TCs but when we eventually get into blackhall and get qualified its a good thing, less competition for jobs when (if) economy picks up in a few years!

Hi People,

You should be aware that the above aren't that hard to obtain- the snag is that many solicitors are being paid to tutor/enroll trainees by the trainees or the trainee's family- some of these trainees are experienced legal execs!!

The trainees then work pro bono between the PPC 1 & PPC 2 & recieve tuition.

It's actually this new form of contract that is keeping struggling solicitors going and the trainee's dreams alive.

I don't know if this is good or bad news to some of you but it's certainly happenin, just don't ask me to reveal were as that would breach people's right to privacy....

So let me get this right......prospective trainees are paying the solicitor to take them on and to get them signed up to Blackhall place? Does the actual solicitor train them still or does he just sign off so they can get into Blackhall place. So is this happening in the large firms or small firms?

• Advertisement

The solicitors must comply with Law Soc regulations and put the trainees through a series of tasks which are then ticked of the Law Society issued log book.

I have heard of this practice occuring in both large and small firms.

It's bona fide as far as I am concerned, due to the state of the economy and there is no suggestion of any illegal or unethical impropriety.

I have let you know about it as a favour to all FE 1 students but do not want drawn too deeply into what are personal matters and decisions for those parties concerned. ;)

So basically your saying that these people are getting training contracts by paying the solicitor money to give them a training contract yes??

In my view its the only way for a lot of trainees to make it & a lot of solicitors to survive.

Once everyone is tax compliant then there is no problem except a bigger bank debt on collecting your parchment :D

Right..............hmm its not something i have ever thought about to be truthful, so these people are paying the solicitor to give them a training contract whilst also working for them for free?! And just out of curiousity is it a lot of money they are paying these solicitors , im not asking for a figure just well how high would the bank loan be :rolleyes:

Are you really sure thats a widespread practice in the industry, find it very hard to believe. Theres been rmours gong around for ages that ppl are getting made do the TC for free but I mean thats ridiculos why would a solcitor of all people blatantly break the law and defraud the Revenue, theyd be surely in danger of being struck off if the trainee ever blew the whistle,

Legal Exec wrote: »
    In my view its the only way for a lot of trainees to make it & a lot of solicitors to survive.

Once everyone is tax compliant then there is no problem except a bigger bank debt on collecting your parchment :D

I don't know how many- its not something I have investigated but its more than one or two.

I have heard figures of €1,500- €2,000.

Once the tax is paid the law is not broken.

A mutual back scratching excercise with no victim- more of a sign of the times we live in.....

Ok I have not heard of this practice occuring personally hence all the questions ;) Like i've heard of people taking up training contracts of the basis of not getting paid which I know is contrary to the Law Society Regulations and the Solicitor poses the risk of being struck off. I cant see how this could be much better because the solicitor stills isnt paying you a weekly wage....right? and your paying him instead.....surely this breach the Law Society regulations and is an abuse by the Solicitor of his/her position??

The story is that although the Trainee is supposed to get the minimum wage they can claim if they are asked (highly unlikely) that they paid their wages back to their boss for "tuition".

Were does the normal traineeship end and the "tuition" begin?- no one can say.

If the trainee screams exploitation then he/she will lose their contract, chance to progress and not be very popular in & around the practice...

As I say its a resourced based agreement and people seem happy to do it- hence no-one has complained thus far & firms are inundated with e-mails from prospective trainees offering the above quoted amounts....

But, say the Law Society investigated this in the morning would they find it legal......no?! Well I learn something new every day! did not know this was happening. No wonder none of my emails stand out to companies.................i should be offering few thousand than they may respond:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

I was always under the impression that trainees had to be paid and that there was a minimum renumeration prescribed by the Law Society.

Of course, paying to be a trainee, rather than being paid, is not without precedent and it is the situation that most solicitors in their late 50s would have been in while they trained. When I did an internship a couple of years ago one of the partners was telling me how his father paid however much money to apprentice at the firm.

But yea, I thought you had to pay them now...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement