Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭servicecharge

What I don't understand is why trainees who are taken advantage of don't do something about it.

If I finished my training contract and hadn't been paid minimum wage all the way along, or if I had to pay my own way I'd sue their nuts off for back pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

_JOE_ wrote: »
    Nothing. It will merely state absent next to the subject when the results are sent out.
    You need only sit 4 on your first attempt and are required to pass 3.
    Even at that i have seen many do 3/4 and sit there for 40mins on their fourth without writing a word.

I was going to post to ask this. My first time so I have to apply for 4 but not sure I can pass 4. I'm doing Constitutional which is really difficult and time consuming. Was thinking of concentrating on passing 3, it's not like I'm in a hurry to go looking for a training contract.

So it's "normal" for people to just turn up and sit there staring into space for 40 minutes, then leaving, having signed your name for the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

What I don't understand is why trainees who are taken advantage of don't do something about it.

If I finished my training contract and hadn't been paid minimum wage all the way along, or if I had to pay my own way I'd sue their nuts off for back pay.

Yeah, good idea....... but you'll find it very difficult to secure another job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 April 2008

I'm looking for manuals for Tort, Company, Equity and Contract from a recent sitting at least 2008. I'm living in Dublin too.

Thanks

I have Tort issued in Oct 2008 for April 2009 sitting. Dublin. 50 Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 hamwithoutchees

I thought due to the recession we'd have more than the 5 years to gain an apprenticeship so I contacted the law school and was told...

I'm afraid that there are no plans to extend the 5 year rule in order to find an apprenticeship.
    If you do not think you will be able to find a contract within the time limit or you are pursuing an alternative career for a few years, I would advise you to make an application now to the Education Committee to request that you be given an extension on this. The Committee considers each application on a case by case basis so I couldn't say which way their decision would go.
    In your letter I would state the reasons why you are seeking an extension. The next Education Committee will be held on Thursday 24 September 2009 - the closing date for applications is Friday 11 September. There is no application fee for such applications.

well that didn't put me in a good mood!
    I'm thinking now of delaying sitting my last one so I can bide some time...

Just so you know,the time begins to run from when you have passed your first three exams not from when you have passed all eight exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

No they don't, its five years from when you pass the last one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Legal Exec

It used to be 3 years to pass all 8 (the other 5) starting after your 1st 3.

You then had a subsequent 5 years to obtain a T.C.

It also used to be 3 attempts and then you were precluded- but that's gone now.

Best to make sure via the Law School 01 672 4802.

Last of the Manuals people- Constitutional X2 from the last sittng €50 with free past paper homework book. legaladviceonline@gmail.com :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 I_hate_FE1s

Has anyone got a recent FE1 manual for Equity with the examiner reports etc? (Dublin).

But hey- you have the best nickname on the board to compensate! :D

No they don't, its five years from when you pass the last one.

See attached fe1 exam rules-its from when you pass your first three.

"3. There shall be no limit to the number of attempts a candidate may make to pass the
    Examination, provided that a candidate shall not be declared to have passed the
    Examination unless that candidate is deemed to have passed (i.e. obtained at least 50% in)
    the examinations in all eight subjects comprising the Examination within a period of not
    more than five years from the 31st of December of the year in which that candidate is
    deemed to have passed no fewer than three examinations in accordance with paragraphs 4
    and 5. "

• Advertisement

These can change with every sitting- trust me I didn't read them one time and deferred unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

"3. There shall be no limit to the number of attempts a candidate may make to pass the
    Examination unless that candidate is deemed to have passed (i.e. obtained at least 50% in)
    the examinations in all eight subjects comprising the Examination within a period of not
    more than five years from the 31st of December of the year in which that candidate is
    deemed to have passed no fewer than three examinations in accordance with paragraphs 4
    and 5. "[/QU

Yeah that says you have five years once you've three fe 1s done to finish the fe1s, but the OP was talking about you've five years once you've your fe 1s done to get an apprenticeship and if you don't get an apprenticeship in that time you have to redo the fe1s. I think you misunderstood what he was saying.

and 5. "[/QU

Yeah that says you have five years once you've three fe 1s done to finish the fe1s, but the OP was talking about you've five years once you've your fe 1s done to get an apprenticeship and if you don't get an apprenticeship in that time you have to redo the fe1s. I think you misunderstood what he was saying.

Apologies,didnt read the post properly! Wasnt aware of that five year rule either (to get an apprenticeship). Is it on the law society website?

There always was two deadlines one to complete 8 after your first 3.

Then another 5 years to obtain a T.C./apprenticeship.

As I've said people these rules can change between sittings- and mave have already.

Check the rules in detail when the Law Soc issue reciept of your payment.

Solicitors frown on potential trainees using the term "apprenticeship" as it is now renamed "traineeship"- personally it makes no difference to me but that is what your potential employers think.

There are however still some "apprenticeships" left- these are people who did not complete their "apprenticeship" before the new "traineeship" semantic came into play.

These people are still called apprentices as opposed to the normal term of trainee applied to 99% of the rest of the unqualified solicitors.

I'm not the one fussin around here dudes- just lettin ya know what a lot of enrolling solicitors I've met think of some aspiring solicitors' inability to refer to their own desired job description. ;)

Good to acknowledge these guys need little excuse to reject people in this climate.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PC021

Griffith manuals for sale:

Property 2007-2008 €30
    Tort 2007 €25

Also Companies Acts 1963 - 2006 studnet ed. Tottel publishing (i used it in last company sitting) €65
    Blackstones Statutes EC legislation 2004-2005 €20

First come first served by email only- finearse@gmail.com (excuse the email name!!)

Cork area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

for a change, an actual substantive question on the fe1s.

Right, the Defamation Bill had just recently become law. Therefore the law in this area has obviously changed because of this. I remember an fe1 lecturer in Independent Colleges last year saying that the fe1s do not examine/do not expect students to be familiar with changes in the law that have occurred within the last 6 months. If that is the case, and I hope someone can verify it, does that mean that for a question on defamation it's perfectly acceptable to describe the law as it was before the enactment of this Bill, or should we just familiarise ourselves with the law as it now is? If the latter is the way to go, where can we get this legislation because it's not on www.irishstatutebook.ie and the bits in the manuals (Independent colleges anyway) are only very brief and I believe the Bill was modified since the inclusion of those passages in the manuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

I would advise you to e-mail the law society directly to find out the conclusive answer to that but generally very recent changes in the law are not directly examinable. However, do not be surprised to see a question where a paragraph on it would be relevant and do not be surprised if the examiner's report criticises students for not demonstrating a knowledge of the change in the law, irrespective of whether it is directly on the curriculum, if such a question were to arise.

More recent legislation is available on the oireachtas.ie website, so have a look there.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭_JOE_

Dan133269 wrote: »
    for a change, an actual substantive question on the fe1s.

Right, the Defamation Bill had just recently become law. Therefore the law in this area has obviously changed because of this. I remember an fe1 lecturer in Independent Colleges last year saying that the fe1s do not examine/do not expect students to be familiar with changes in the law that have occurred within the last 6 months. If that is the case, and I hope someone can verify it, does that mean that for a question on defamation it's perfectly acceptable to describe the law as it was before the enactment of this Bill, or should we just familiarise ourselves with the law as it now is? If the latter is the way to go, where can we get this legislation because it's not on www.irishstatutebook.ie and the bits in the manuals (Independent colleges anyway) are only very brief and I believe the Bill was modified since the inclusion of those passages in the manuals.

That's not always the case. To take one example, the Spring 09 sitting of Eu law contained a competition law question based on a recent judgment decided December 08 (BIDS case c-209/07).

The examiner would be fully aware of the changes in the law and regardless of whether or not they were enacted, he/she would have a good idea what to pre empt re the exam. eg to take another example; the constitutional examiner would have expected the recent judgment re journalistic sources (Mahon v Keena) and thus could question changes re freedom of expression...

In short, the more up to date you are the better...

thanks for the replies people. This http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2006/4306/b43d06s.pdf would appear to be the Bill as it was passed, in case anyone else is looking for it.

Here's the Monica Leech case if anyone is looking for it too. Did she take two separate actions? There appears to be 2 cases, 1 in 2007 and the other this year.

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/ie/cases/IEHC/2007/H223.html&query=leech+and+independent+and+newspapers&method=boolean

http://www.bailii.org/cgi-bin/markup.cgi?doc=/ie/cases/IEHC/2009/H259.html&query=leech+and+independent+and+newspapers&method=boolean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

Neither of those are the judgments, I'm not sure the the case has been reported yet.

Theyre both motions which are basically subtle determinations of the substantive issue (the libel action).

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

There is a raft of Leech actions, McCrack is correct.

I am not sure if there will be a written judgment in the last case, given the nature of it i.e., a jury action. Depends on DeValera J and I'd suspect it won't happen. If the Super Court hears the appeal on quantum then that will be written.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭page1

I am studying Property for FE-1 and just wanted to clarify the position in relation to the new Bill.
    Part IV of Tenancies Act is amended by s39 of CPB - it extends to all civil partners the provisions relating to spouses eg allowing a person to take over a tenancy on the death of civil partner.

For it to fall within the definition of a civil partnership does the relationship have to be registered?
    Part IV applies to unmarried opposite sex co-habitees, does s39 apply to same sex co-hab who are simply living together or does it only apply when the relationship is registered?
    Thanks

has the land and conveyancing law reform Bill been enacted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

nope, not yet

page1 wrote: »
    I am studying Property for FE-1 and just wanted to clarify the position in relation to the new Bill.
    Part IV of Tenancies Act is amended by s39 of CPB - it extends to all civil partners the provisions relating to spouses eg allowing a person to take over a tenancy on the death of civil partner.

For it to fall within the definition of a civil partnership does the relationship have to be registered?
    Part IV applies to unmarried opposite sex co-habitees, does s39 apply to same sex co-hab who are simply living together or does it only apply when the relationship is registered?
    Thanks

No offence but I wouldn't be getting bogged down in such detail, as it will gain you very little in the exam - you need breadth not depth!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Jev/N wrote: »
    No offence but I wouldn't be getting bogged down in such detail, as it will gain you very little in the exam - you need breadth not depth!

Never a truer word spoken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭legallad

Here is a link to a summary of the 2009 Defamation Act:

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:ZaB-hAwEIwQJ:www.algoodbody.ie/GetAttachment.aspx%3Fid%3Db8103e1b-1270-409c-803d-c2ad85cea77a+summary+of+new+defamation+act+2009&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Also the most important piece to take from the Leech case 2007 for the purpose of a defmation ques is 'were the efforts of the publisher to verify the information responsible and fair.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Fr.Frost

Independent colleges, Company Manual + exam papers for sale 50 euro.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭r14

The act actually has been enacted.

LAND AND CONVEYANCING LAW REFORM ACT 2009 (ACT NO. 27 OF 2009) (Signed on: 21st July 2009)

Info is here: http://www.president.ie/index.php?section=24&lang=eng

Don't think it's been published yet though but if you look for the final draft of the Bill it shouldn't be too different from the Act.

• Advertisement

r14 wrote: »
    The act actually has been enacted.

LAND AND CONVEYANCING LAW REFORM ACT 2009 (ACT NO. 27 OF 2009) (Signed on: 21st July 2009)

Info is here: http://www.president.ie/index.php?section=24&lang=eng

Don't think it's been published yet though but if you look for the final draft of the Bill it shouldn't be too different from the Act.

Just was about to post this also as I only found out this evening I'd made a mistake.

According to the lecturer in Indp Colleges some things have been left out that were in the Bill but we don't know until it's published.

Anyways, it won't affect our papers due to the 6 month rule although it might be handy for some extra marks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement